A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO
They are the Watchers on the Wall, the shield that guards the Realms of Men, the first three casualties of the pilot episode.

The first Stark we saw among them was uncle Benjen, Ned's surviving brother, the perfect role model for a Jon Snow that couldn't wait to join his Order. Then along came Ser Allister, as arrogant as the first Crow to die in the pilot, ready to abuse any recruit as green as Sam, Pyp or Grenn.

Their stories were as surprising as different were Yoren, Aemon Targaryen or Lord Commander Mormont from one another. The Order seemed like a perfect utopia, ready to forgive any past crime, willing to embrace Gendry, Jaqen H'ghar and Arry the orphan alike.

It wasn't until Janos Slynt was sent to Eastwatch by the Sea - because of a crime as abominable as the one Craster committed against his baby boys - that the story hint something wasn't quite right about them, yet nothing could've prepared the audience for the reality that hit once that Lord Commander Mormont was stabbed by his own men, the very criminals he forgave once they joined the Order.

poll

46 Comments
Comments (46)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Oct 12, 2013
other:- dolorous edd
Flag
Oct 14, 2013
I guess there are enough votes for me to admit that, whenever I think of other as an option, I picture the deserter that Ned beheaded in the pilot.

It just seemed so unfair: I knew he had it coming, his brother told the audience as much in the first scene, but after what he had been through I couldn't blame him for keep on running.
Flag
Oct 12, 2013
Jon Snow...
Flag
Oct 13, 2013
Jon is like the ultimate crow: he's had his doubts and he has had the chance to walk away yet he always comes back to his post, one way or the other.
Flag
Oct 14, 2013
Let's wait if he really survived... You know our fears are George RR Martin's ink.
Flag
Oct 14, 2013
I don't think it would change anything: as long as Jon keeps coming back to his post, he will always be the ultimate crow for me.

It doesn't matter how long his Watch would last.
Flag
Oct 13, 2013
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Oct 11, 2013
Judging from the books: The halfhand. Dedicated like no one else.
Flag
Oct 12, 2013
and now his watch is ended
Flag
Oct 11, 2013
And now his watch is ended
Flag
Oct 11, 2013
I'll go with Yoren. Maybe it's just cause I read the books, you don'y see as much of him in the series.

I don't recall Mormont getting stabbed, guess I better review.

How terrible... Lol.
Flag
Oct 14, 2013
To be completely fair, Yoren's story about how he joined the Watch after he murdered the boy that killed his brother was not on the books (R.I.P. Willam).
Flag
Oct 14, 2013
Its oddly comforting to know that, for every one that took Mormont's life, there's also a criminal like Yoren, willing to give his brothers the same chance that was given to him.

And now his watch is ended.
Flag
Oct 12, 2013
yeah. but he made an awful choice by respecting Craster's roof, when his men were in dire need. He should've just killed the rapist demon worshiper SOB, and liberated his daughters.
Flag
Oct 12, 2013
In GOT universe you cannot kill a guest who has shared your food under your roof and vice versa. its a very big sin.
Flag
Oct 12, 2013
Not to mention, a very practical custom: if the guests would only kill their hosts, no one would ever find any shelter.

And, if the hosts would only kill their guests, no one would ever receive assistance.
Flag
Nov 01, 2013
allright, you guys win... guest rights and all that... I am guilty of applying 21st century moral to the GofT universe. Still, it would've felt nice. :)
Flag
Oct 12, 2013
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Oct 11, 2013
It wasn't a backstab as much as he was put to the sword by one of the rapists that was recruited with Jon Snow. Mormont managed to choke one of the renegades before he died with Craster.
Flag
Oct 11, 2013
Favorite Crow? Do you seriously have to ask such a question? Lord Commander Mormont FTW!
Flag
Oct 27, 2013
Ser Jorah would've been proud of his Dad, the Lord Commander would've been proud of him too.
Flag
Oct 11, 2013
I voted for other: Ygritte, I don't care if that's not a valid choice, she's awesome, and Jon's an idiot for leaving her in the dust, just my 2 cents ;)
Flag
Oct 11, 2013
If the Gods were just, there would be girls in the Night's Watch IMO.
Flag
Oct 13, 2013
yeah apparently Ygritte's a Spear Maiden (hope I'm remembering that right) in the Wildling society.
The fact that the "far more civilized world" south of the wall has no Shieldmaidens (as Sif in marvel or Eowyn in LotR are called) is lame
Flag
Oct 13, 2013
Sometimes I wish Arry the orphan would've reached the Wall, just to see the look on their faces once Gendry revealed the Night's Watch had just recruited a girl.
Flag
Oct 14, 2013
lol, but Gendry wouldn't reveal it to any one :) yeah I think I do ship Gendry and Arya at least a bit.
well if Arry had gotten there we wouldn't have all the awesomeness of Arya starting on a path to become an assassin :D I was waiting for so long for her to kill someone directly, so worth it. Also we'd of missed out on those excellent scenes w/Tywin.
Arya=my favorite character in all of GoT easily (since 1st scene of pilot).
really hope she doesn't die and gets to cross all those names off her mental list >)
But yeah, Night's Watch: only boy's aloud is foolish; though I guess it's just more of the same for all the "civilized" armies we've seen w/Brienne of Tarth as the only exception. Course I guess aside from the Khaleesi, it's really the case in all non-wildling armies thus far. I get that it's part of the point George R R Martin is making; to have all these nations see women as non-warriors and to show all the women we follow in the story as formidable (often more so than the men), but I still wish we'd get to see more civilizations that actually realize how stupid the "boys club" mentality is and thereby got to see kick-@$$ women got to be the rule not the exception.
-apologies for the length, and thanks for reading it all :)
More +
Flag
Oct 10, 2013
I voted for "other": Dolorous Edd Tollett.
Flag
Oct 11, 2013
I love Ed and his philosophy of shoveling!
Flag
Oct 10, 2013
surprised Mormont is in 2nd place ahead of Sam.
Flag
Oct 12, 2013
As much as I like Mormont, sometimes it feels like Sam is the only one that gets the wildlings shouldn't have to attack the Wall to find sanctuary, that they guard the realms of men and that includes wildlings, giants and Crasters too.
Flag
Oct 11, 2013
i'm not. He should be ahead of Jon as well. Mormont's heart beats Black!
Flag
Oct 11, 2013
I miss Ser Jorah's Dad...
Flag
Oct 10, 2013
Certainly I'm not the only one who loved Yoren? I loved Yoren.
Flag
Oct 10, 2013
I try not to vote my own polls until there's at least 10 votes not to influence the results (so I really can't tell one way or the other just yet).
Flag
Follow this Show
Members