We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

Best Swords
have a name, and we've already voted for the very Best Sword Ever named, a sword that represented connection between two people, between the audience and them, and even between the show and Ned Stark.

The Best Swords have a name, but then again so do our Favorites Swords, either from Sunday night episode or four seasons ago. On the show, there're several of them...

Ned Stark's sword:
  • Ice, season 1, reforged in Widow's Wail (Joffrey's third sword) and Oathkeeper (Brienne's & Jaime's sword) by Tywin Lannister in episode 2 of season 4.

Arya Stark's sword:
  • Needle, season 1- 4, used to kill Lommy no last name in season 2, taken by Polliver between seasons 2 and 3, regained by Arya thanks to The Hound, used to avenge Lommy in episode 2 of season 4.

Joffrey's swords:
  • Lion...something, season 1, thrown to a river by Arya in episode 2.
  • Hearteater, season 2, kissed by Sansa before the battle of Blackwater in episode 9.
  • Widow's Wail, season 4, named at Joffrey's wedding 2 episodes ago.

Jaime and Brienne's sword:
  • Oathkeeper, the better half of Ice ever since the latest episode of season 4.

Lord Commander Mormont's and Jon Snow's sword:
  • Longclaw, season 1, given to Jon after he saved the Lord Commander from a blue eyed corpse in episode 8. It was supposed to be passed on to Ser Jorah Mormont before the series began.

Stannis's sword (Beric Dondarion's sword?)
  • Lightbringer, season 3, a flaming sword that's supposed to be given by R'hllor. For some reason not explained on the show, Thoros of Myr wasn't supposed to have the power to give one. And yet Beric Dondarion lives on.

Targaryen's sword
  • Dark Sister, as told by Arya and Tywin on the dark halls of Harrenhal, season 2.

Favorite Swords also have a name, so which name is your favorite?

poll

Comments (52)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Lightbringer is an ancient sword that is meant to be used against the Great Other. Beric's sword breaks because it isn't made of Valyrian Steel. Thoros is simply able to light his sword on fire because of the power he has.
Flag
I never thought it btoke because it wasn't Valyrian Steel!

You are absolutely right: Beric's blood may turn into fire, but it can't turn his sword into Valyrian Steel.
Flag
Longclaw as I just bought it (ok, a copy) and hope to have it hanging on the wall soon after it is in stock again.
Flag
I'm the proud owner of several Needles, and I use them all the time.

Probably not in the same way Arya does, but she's the one that made proud whenever I use them.
Flag
I have thought about it for a day but I am curious and will still ask the question? Why do you have more than one Needle? I bought two Longclaws (which were the first swords I have ever bought) but one is for my son's 21st birthday. He is a big fan of the series also and read the books in a few weeks after season 1 (in English which as, like me, not his first language).

Btw, love Needle and still might buy one when they make the tv version available. But the shipping costs to The Netherlands are huge....
Flag
Because my Needles are for sewing buttons, basting stitches and coats, sometimes even socks.

Arya makes me proud to use them, even if my needles aren't as awesome as an actual sword.
Flag
Ah, you had me when you used the capital in Needle.
Flag
Needle...wielded by such a little girl...got to love it......my second would be Oathkeeper....such a great name for a sword.
Flag
And awesome re-name for Jaime, formerly known as the Oathbreaker, alongside Man without honor and Kingslayer.

Bonus points because Brienne renders a whole new meaning to "There it is, there's the look"
Flag
See? There it is, there is the look. (Damn it!)
Flag
I love Brienne. She loves Jaime. He could do worse. She has so much honor. She is a very strong woman. And yes the look is awesome...I felt misty when she rode away. I think she named the sword Oathkeeper for Jaime.
Flag
I just loved that bit with Cersei, you can tell Brienne was about to deny it, when it hits her right then and there.

And, whether it ever hits him or not, it was neat the pull was so strong that Jaime couldn't help himself but follow her a bit in the end.

It was a perfect parallel to their goodbye scene at Harrenhal.
Flag
Why not include all the options discussed in the last article?

My vote is for Dawn. From these options it would be Ice. Joffrey's old sword was called Lion's Tooth.
Flag
Because it's Favorite Swords in Game of Thrones, not Favorite Swords in A Song of Ice and Fire.

Otherwise we would be discussing Dawn and the hiden meaning of Lightbringer, the Sword of fire, and Ned Stark's Ice with those that don't even see the show.
Flag
Fair point, Ice it is.
Flag
I guess we could do that, but in another poll.
Flag
Oathkeeper it's my favorite, but I also like a lot Longclaw and Needle
Flag
I feel like a owe Longclaw a debt because I didn't use it in the last poll. In my defense, it hasn't been named - only seen - this season.

Ice used to be such a fitting name for Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail, but so are Needle and Dark Sister. Judging by Harrenhal, Darl Sister had the chance to earn her name in a way Hearteater never did.

But my favorite name would be Lightbringer, for it suggests something sinister and hopeful all at the same time.
Flag
Longclaw has been visible in a lot of TBBT episodes also.
Flag
It is! It's Jon Snow's sword!!!
Flag
Nope, it really is Longclaw. I had to put the rely here so I could also put in the video (was not possible as a reply to your comment).

Flag
I thought Shelon and Leonard bought Ice, it was Longclaw?

As in the one he said "Hello Will Wheaton" with?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members