A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

I've seen a lot of polls in the internet about people's favorite characters and about characters who should sit on the Iron Throne and who would be the best king/queen. So I'm going to choose the question that not a lot of people seem to be asking... Game of Thrones has a lot of gray characters. Each with their own flaws, questionable morals, honor code and motives. So I'm asking who do you think is the most realistic? Is it Arya who goes from a wild child to a killer? Is it Joffrey who is evil mostly because (I think) of his mother's upbringing? Is it Daenerys who goes from a "mail order" (Yeah I know it's not accurate... I am suffering from a major brain fart and can't find the correct word) bride to a conqueror? Whoever it is... Remember... The most REALISTIC... Doesn't have to be your favourite character. You can give reasons for your decision in the comment section.

Poll: The most realistic character:

I think that'll look monstrous as it is so I didn't add Jorah, Barristan, Yara, Balon, Walder, Melisandre, Loras, Olenna etc...

poll
Comments (92)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Obviously I'm a minority here, but to me it's Cersei. The more of her true self that is revealed the more she seems realistic to me. She really is created by the world she lives in; her father's persona and approach, the realization of how much gender and social status means when it comes to how you succeed in life. Her brutal bur realistic views of power (eat it Littlefinger!), love, and family.
She makes sense, and that's what being realistic means to me.

While I kinda understand why Sansa has received the multitude of votes, I really don't think she has much of a persona at all... For a character to be realistic, having a personality is kinda basic to me :)

I'd like to talk with any of the magnificent seven who voted Varys though :D
Flag
Maybe the characters are what ground magic to begin with.

For me, its easier to accept it when I can see the dirt on the characters's faces, the actual ice Jon & Ygritte walk amongst or the imperfections in any given bridge, ruin or camp Brienne or Stannis come across.

I could accept Jaqen can switch faces because I saw him sit at Harrenhal, direwolves because I saw the snow on their fur as much as on the men's beards or Thoros's powers because he and Beric live in a Cave.
Flag
I think the most realistic for me is Stannis Baratheon. He's harsh, but not cruel. Aside from all this supernatural stuff going on around him he is a fairly grounded character. And if i'd seen the things he has i am not sure i would react very differently. He doesn't want to belive in all this magic, but has no other explanations available. And even then he struggles with doing what is asked of him.
Flag
Stannis and Yara have that same sense of stern about them, yet I never doubt about the justice behind it. Makes them far more realistic than people give them credit for IMO.
Flag
Out of the names on the list, I went with Samwell. He is just a regular good guy, with a good heart, not an inhumanely skilled fighter or player of mind games. So talking about realism, he gets my vote.
Flag
If its any help, I don't consider the supernaturals beings - White Walkers, House of the Undying warlocks, blue eyed corpses, dragons, witches, maegis, etc. - as realistic. And therefore get stuck on the Hot Pies, Ros, Davos, Catelyn, Barristan, etc, of the equation.

I just consider it a perfect tie between all the characters left as the "most realistic" one.
Flag
Lol...I dont even understand the question...."most realistic"?

anyone who doesn't have super natural powers eg/ Bran is a "realistic character"....were a living population of 7 billion+ humans I'm sure every character in the book could be compared to someone living now...or at some point in our species existence making them "realistic" so seriously I'm not trying to be a smart ass...what does the question even mean?
Flag
I did phrase it a bit... vaguely or something. I figured that "realistic" in this poll would be describing character interactions, personal plotlines, actions and most of all... Personality. I don't mean realistic in a manner that someone excactly like the character could exist in the real world. The character should fit in to the world created by George R.R. Martin. The character's story should be as plausible as possible. Their actions should be constant with the information we have about them.

People are going to think I'm a Dany hater as I keep using her as the "unrealistic" character... BUT... Which one of these stories is more believeable:

Robb: Heir to Winterfell. Most likely educated and groomed for lordship his whole life. When he calls his bannermen and goes to war he doesn't lose a single battle. Personal mistakes cost him the war and his life.

Daenerys: Her brother uses her as currency for an army. She then evolves to a surpisingly confident conqueror who sacks cities. In a year.

I hope that I managed to answer your question
Flag
Read ADWD, she is super awesome in that book!
Flag
I have read ADWD. And I have to agree. She got more interesting in the book (although I think the book Dany has always been more interesting than the TV-version). My favourite part of the whole book still has to be Reek's story!
Flag
ahhh...yeah that clears things up
Flag
I believe ser barristan is one..he follow the code and the honer, with the targeryans, with robert, and the with whom he believed was worthy of the throne, then I would have to say Varys, I never believe his thing "the better for the realm" but reading the books I realized it is true...so...I believe him..
Flag
I think Lord Varys is fairly realistic for a child who was mutilated by the people that was supposed to protect him. Remove magic, and his personality makes sense given the circumstances.
Flag
Urgh... hodor? hodor!
Flag
i agree with a lot of people that Sansa seems to be the most realistic chatacter. She was spoilef and prissy being brought up in nobility. Liked a boy and lied for his sake as it might impress him. As a captive in the capital she did het best to adapt and has remained true to a person who has lost so much as such a young woman.
Flag
Easily Sansa, which is why she is also the most boring.
Flag
Tough question, but I'd have to say Sansa and Catelyn, for reasons mostly covered by other users. Sansa acts just as a normal 14 year old would most likely act in the situations she was put in, while Catelyn, while I understand why many hate her, I feel she acts realistically like any women would, Jon is a constant reminder to ned's infidelity, and I can't completely blame her for not loving Jon like her other children, and releasing jaime was also realistic after she lost Bran and Rickon, any mother would do whatever possible to save her children.
Flag
I feel the opposite, in fact: that the characters who play the game the best are more realistic/likely to find in real life. And the Neds, the Briennes or the Davoses of the show less likely to find because honorable people are as rare as heroes in real life.
Flag
because she is afraid. and mad at Jeoff for what he did to his father. a typical who has a crush on the prince under he betray his trust.
Flag
I think it's the characters that play the game the worst (or at least with less cunning) that feel the most "real" to me. That's not to say that there aren't plenty of people like Littlefinger, Margaery, or Tywin - I just feel like more people would be like Sansa, Catelyn, or Sam. Heroic, in their own ways, but really just trying to get by...and sometimes stumbling to either do the right thing or the smart thing.
Flag
Catelyn knows what she's doing. Is just those damn Starks that screw everything up with their honor. But her reactions to losing her whole family are pretty real to me.
Jaime is also a pretty realistic character because he's the most down to earth. He is not blinded by all this political game, he just kinda does what he feels is right.
Flag
They are both equally honest when it comes to it too. Catelyn never hid the fact she hated Jon, nor Jaime the fact he pushed Bran.
Flag
I don't the way everyone's approaching this. You don't answer this question by thinking of the character who has the least amount of crazy shit going on, that's not an indication of how realistic they are. Sansa and Cat shouldn't be over-rated in the poll just because their main concerns are family and romance. The poll was framed as who's character arc has been the most plausible in the show so far.

In the books, I don't think any of the character arcs to date have been implausible so if the poll were for the books I would say all of them. However the tv show is rushed and only skims the surface of stories and as a result the most significant transformations can appear to be a bit incredible. This is probably truest for Dany and Arya who both have undergone huge changes since the show began. But outside of characters like that I don't see any of the characters being unrealistic. Take Robb for example. Is it unrealistic that he became an excellent ruler and battle leader in a short period of time. No, because he was trained for that his whole life. Just because he's acting in a way that is unfamiliar to us doesn't make him unrealistic. Or Joffrey, his pathology is unusual but not unbelievable. They're all realistic, from the mundane to the heroic to the villainous.
More+
Flag
To be honest this poll has shown less diversity as I hoped. Maybe some voters decided to vote for characters that you could most likely meet in real life when I was going for "Who of these are believeable products of Westeros?". Like you said "who's character arc has been the most plausible in the show so far."

Nobody could (they could but I'd say they're wrong) say that Robb's excellency in ruling and warfare is unrealistic. He was the heir to Winterfell. Of course they taught him how to lead (Which is what I think you were saying as well). I have thought of him as Westeros' version of Alexander the Great... With not as succesful ending. Dany's transformation in the books is made more believeable be her inner monologue and the fact that in the books she relies more in the opinions of her advisors (and the fact that she actually seems to have flaws in the books... The show is painting her as a basic fantasy hero who has no flaws or the writers just don't want to write about them). In the show they can't show inner monologue without adding a character to whom Dany could talk about her thoughts. Same goes for Sansa. After reading the books I'd say that she has the most inner monologue of the whole series and that is just hard to translate to TV.

I agree with ionee24 who said that Neds, Briennes and Davoses are the least realistic as it is hard to find people with such strong moral codes in real life. Our, somewhat civilized, life. Which would make it even harder to find those people in Westeros. How likely it is that an ex-pirate is the most honorable and loyal man in Westeros? Not very. The viewers still understand his motives. I don't think it's coincidence that after losing his own son he would be willing to risk his life to save a kid roughly the same age as his son was when he died.

But in any case. I'm weirdly proud that the poll has this much people answering it. Even though I thought that Theon, Samwell, Catelyn, Jon and EVEN Tywin (You've read the books so you know that his father nearly destroyed the Lannisters... Kinda perfect reason to act as Tywin does; doing whatever it takes for the legacy of the Lannisters) would have provided a proper contest for the title.

More +
Flag
I think your points are all good ones. The reason you've had such a take up on the poll is that for some reason it's been tagged as news and is showing up on the tv.com home page. A lucky result for you.
Flag
Yeah. I noticed that too. Didn't even think it was possible. To continue my previous comment just a bit... I think that Sansa has been overrated in this category BUT when I made this and thought who'd I vote for it was either her, Catelyn or Samwell.

Sansa is weird in a way that you could actually see someone as naïve and optimistic in real life and yet in the brutal world of Westeros... She still doesn't seem out of place. So I understand why she has that much votes.
Flag
It would have to be anyone of the whores
Flag
I think Ros was so relateable because she was the Winterfell version of a career woman, and she met the medieval end of such a character.
Flag
Probably a tie between Sansa and Catelyn though I cast my vote for Sansa. Sansa is the most realistic, from the young girl with the fairytales of princes and castles and the rosey-eyed view of the world. And then reality sets in in the harshest possible ways (death of a parent, realizing fallibility of heroes, loss of home, directionless) and she is forced to start to grow up. But I think the fact that she doesn't go from naive to figuring out the world is the most realistic. She goes through the most growing pains and its slow and its sometimes stupid and annoying to watch/read but in the end you see a true slow development of a person/character. Catelyn on the other hand displays a lot of recognizeable mother/wife traits but its amplified in the world of Westeros a little more than Sansa's basic traits
Flag
Perfect. This is exactly why I cast my vote for her. She isn't my favorite character by any means (Tyrion), but I think the kind of naive teen girl falling for the wrong guy and having a shitty life fits well into other types of stories and not just the crazy fantasy world of ASOIAF.
Flag
The most realistic character is the guy who got killed by Ned Stark in the first episode of first season.
Flag
I couldn't agree more, Ned must have been the best example at how the real world would swallow the honorable heroes we root for the most on TV.
Flag
And the guy he killed had the more realistic reaction to what I've seen on the show too.
Flag
I have to say that Catelyn is extremely realistic. From the start, she's not an over hyped version of a character. She has an extreme dislike/possible hatred for her husband's child by another women, because he cheated on her, and that's the reason Jon Snow exists. That's not unrealistic or over the top, because it's a natural reaction from a lot of women. She loves her children and she will literally do anything for them, but doesn't hesitate to tell them off when they do something stupid, also a natural and realistic attitude from a mother. She wants revenge for what has happened to her children, also realistic. So I do think that Catelyn is the most realistic character. Then again, I think all of the characters are realistic. That's what drew me to the books and the TV series.
Flag
its like, if you remove the medieval setting and the supernatural aspects (Melisandre, faceless men, Thoros's flaming swords and so on), these could be contemporary people dealing with contemporary issues anyone could relate to.
Flag
Yeah that's true. But if you remove all that it wouldn't be Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire! LOL!
Flag
True, maybe I could live without the supernatural aspects, but the medieval setting is an absolutely must.
Flag
I heart the dragons. I do however wish Arya would kill Melisandre. Just because she can. It would be hilarious.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I chose Sansa because she behaves like what I think a normal teenaged girl would in those circumstances.
Flag
That's hard to say because most of them you can see the development. Cateyln, Sansa, Jon, Sam, Jamie, Cerci all read realistic even bran (but you see that more in the books)

The most unrealistic would definitely be Dany. I love her character but the transformation she goes through isn't realistic. Also Robb because you'd think being raised to rule the north and being at war that he would have been stronger.
Flag
No way! The most unrealistics would definitely be Melisandre and that warlok from the House of the Undying (season 2), followed closely by Orell and Jaqen.
Flag
Melisandre would be unrealistic because she freed herself from slavery. She wasn't on the list.

I don't think that using magic can be used to say they are unrealistic because magic exists in the game of thrones world.Remember its not whether the character could exist in our world its how realistic their character and actors are in the game of thrones worlds.

As for the other three we don't know enough about them to say if their characters are realistic or not.
Flag
I thought that's why "Someone else. Who?" was for: the whore/priestess who can survive venom (and who knows what else) that is Melisandre and whatever it is the warlok from the House of the Unfyind was.

All I know it that they are weirder than Orell, Jaqen and Thoros combined (I don't count White Walkers because they aren't human).
Flag
actions not actor sorry typo
Flag
I think it's Jaime, he's a product of the world he lives in, and for me that makes him the most realistic. There are characters who act more like someone might act in our world but they aren't in our world, so I have to give it to Jaime as he fits the world he's in the best in my humble opinion.
Flag
You bring out a really good point: I can't project my own sense of normalcy to the world these characters live in, that would be the opposite of realistic for them.
Flag
I'm gonna go with Catelyn here. She is your typical mother who does everything she can to protect her children once they are threatened which is a natural, real and powerful instinct (never try to do something to a bear cub with its mother around) and in doing so often makes questionable, seemingly unreasonable choices (freeing Jaime for instance).
Of course, Sansa's character is also pretty realistic but she just doesn't get to do as much as Catelyn and therefore doesn't have such a round character. Sansa, at the end of season three, is still pretty flat, or "bland" as said before.
Flag
Ha! She doesn't even do half of what she could to protect her children. If she were a contemporary mom, child protective services would step in.
Flag
Technically, that's what happened: The Crown deemed her an unfit mother and took her daughters away, the youngest one of them escaped from state custody and the boys were taken by commoners to be raised separately.

Catelyn died before she could get back her children.
Flag
Flag
I agree. If it weren't for the medieval setting, Catelyn would be just a contemporary mom struggling to protect her children after she becomes a widow
Flag
Agh Sansa, WHY would anyone pick her?
Flag
Because most young girls in here situation would act sacred and stupid. A normal girl wouldn't be killing people and fighting like Arya she would be like Sansa
Flag
Oh shoot i didnt even read the question, I automatically thought it is the who is your favourite character?
My bad.
Flag
She's my favorite character :( after Theon.
-Book reader who loves those who aren't getting enough love.
Flag
She definitely won't be winning favorite. Her character does get dramatically better in season 4 onward. I hated her in the beginning but in the second half of book 3 on ward her character really becomes more interesting.
Flag
Yeah she gets better and a lot less annoying but she will never be my favourite I think.
I do agree that she is the most realistic, also Catelyn maybe with her selfishness
Flag
I think she has already improved a lot. She's a good character *now*.
Flag
Flag
I think they are all realistic in one way or another: Arya as the child soldier stuck in a war zone, Bran as the orphan boy who knows will never be adopted, Robb as a young man with a first job away from home, Davos as the loyal friend trying to his job and even Theon trying to prove himself
Flag
Sansa is every average high-school girl you'll meet today, only replace gallant knights with Justin Bieber.
Flag
I should probably go with Sansa because she's probably the "blandest" character, which would make her most realistic, I guess.

But I went with Joffrey because I find that a loooot of kids his age are brats, and if they were given Kingship and the powers and spoils of that kingship like Joffrey has, they might act just as evil-ish as he does (the only difference would be that gaming would be in much higher demand from current kids).
Flag
Joffrey is one of the most realistic "mean girls/boys" I've seen on TV, complete with his own issues - what with the incest and his "father" bastards - and insane attachment to deadly weapons. If Westeros would only had video games, he might have channeled the extra energy in a less violent manner.
Flag
The most obviously realistic character is Sansa, because she isn't terribly brave or clever or anything...she's a terrified, naive teenager who behaves exactly as one would expect.
Interestingly, Samwell would be my second choice for almost exactly the same reason.....
Flag
I will go with Samwell Tarly (not just because he reminds me a little of Samwise Gamgee from LOTR) as the person who feels he is not worthy of others respect and appreciation but whose actions, when called upon, prove his mettle, courage and honor.
Flag
Good point, for someone who insists to be coward Samwell Tarly finds himself in a most courageous roles time and again.
Flag
I think that's there are more than one
- Arya
- Robb
- Jon snow
- Sansa
- Samwell
- Catelyn
And many others
I don't think that Joffery's personality is very realistic, i mean there is some people like him in the real world but not that many(Thank god), in the beginning of the show he was just a spoiled kid, but in the last season he went from being a spoiled brat to a sadistic monster at the speed of light, so no he is not that realistic.
I think that what makes GoT a special show is the realistic feeling you get from the personalities of it's characters, they are not 100% bad or 100%good, most of the characters feel like real people (despite living in world where magic and dragons exist(i would love to live in a world that have dragons))
I think the poll would have been better if it was "the most unrealistic character" in the show instead of "the most realistic character".
Flag
I agree with most of your opinions. I didn't want to make ""the most unrealistic character" poll mainly because of the fact that I have very strong opinions on who are the least realistic.

I think Dany's story is the least realistic. She has no prerequisites for being a good conqueror (except for her dragons and Jorah and Barristan for tips and tricks) BUT she was the underdog and I'd be lying if I told you I don't like those kind of stories where the underdog wins. I love LOTR and never has there been a better description for the word impossible than what Sam and Frodo did.

Even though I cheered at Arya when she killed the Frey man (and she is one of my favourite characters) I still thought: "If Sansa was thirteen in first season and now she's fourteen, it took Arya ONLY one year to go from a child to a cold-blooded killer" (Yeah she did kill the stable boy in the first season but if anyone says it was in cold blood they'd be lying). It is made more believeable with the fact that Arya actually saw what they did to her brother post-mortem but it's in my humble opinion one of those moments that make her a TINY bit less realistic and yet a bit more interesting.

So to conclude my ramblings... I chose this topic as it divides opinions more and GoT certainly is one of those realistic shows. Even though it's fantasy and I would love to live in a world with dragons as well. But I'd rather take a Direwolf :)
More +
Flag
Yeah Direwolf are much better as a pet. At least u could scold 'em even if u'll need a very big rolled newspaper to spank 'em when saying "no, bad dog!". A dragon? A blackhole for your bank account, and it's uncontainable. He could eat the postman or your friendly neighbour for a whim!
Naaa, Direwolf FTW
Flag
Then again, Daenerys is basically a different species, just like the rest of the Targaryen. If I were to put her in a contemporary show, she and Viserys would be the aliens with superpowers.
Flag
Can't reply to your reply so

Rickon has dreams like bran remember in season 1 he knew his dad was dead and was down in the crypts looking for him with bran.

Also it hasn't been conveyed well in the show but in the books its made clear the magical link between the starks/snow and their dire wolfs. Jon, Arya, Bran and Rickon all convey magically abilities.
Flag
Dany and targaryens aren't a species. She is the first magical targaryen in hundred of years. Just like how the stark children and jon are the first magical stark children in hundreds of years.
Flag
I'l post here 'cause can't answer to ionee24 post under this one. All the Stark have magical ability: they're are all Warg, can spiritually enter the body of their direwolf. Arya "dreamed" of being a leading direwolf (nymeria) who picked up her mother body from the water a thundreds of league! Robb dreamed of being into is wolf, so does jon and the wildlings call him Warg. If Lady was stil alive surely Sansa would have the wolf-dream too.
Bran is the more "magically talented" and a much powerful Warg (he enterd Hodor, a human! a thing never heard of before).
The Stark are probably more "magickly" of Dany whom only "power" is to be the mother of dragon (and still not so in control as she believe as we can see in ADWD), something genetically inside every targaryen of old history.
Flag
Except for Bran, none of the Starks children exhibit magical powerr. On the show, the crippled boy is the only one special amongst his siblings.
Flag
I too agree with most of what you said

WereDragonWolf?, a fire blowing wolf?
Wow that would be great :), i would definitely take one as a pet(if it didn't eat me firs)
Flag
It's A Song of Ice and Fire, a duality between light and dark, heat and cold, you can't hybridise the two, naughty.
Flag
I agree, if anything Joffry is very realistic as a spoiled brat with a sadistic vein, the only diffence is that, as King, he has no limit.
Flag
HODOR !!!
Flag
Staff
Ghost
Flag
Joffrey's spoiled teenager feels very realistic, even if it's a much more violent take on it...

Flag
Staff
well done
Flag
Petyr Baelish- his anger and disappointment over Catelyn made him into a person with absolute ambition and jadedness. Also his unrequited love made him a creep.
Flag
I also agree. As much of creep as Baelish may be, he kinda has a point: he was rejected by Catelyn, not once, but twice and counting.
Flag
And now I realize that this poll needs to have A LOT of voters for people to even notice the "mainstream" opinions :D Well... What's done is done.
Flag
You do realize that this post has been featured on the TV.com homepage, right?
Flag
Staff
If you build it, they will come.
Flag
We can always vote more than once for each name...
Flag
Stop that, you twunt.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members