A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO (Returning mid-2017)

As Game of Thrones fans get increasingly heated and worried over whether author George R.R. Martin will finish his book series A Song of Ice and Fire, on which the hit drama is based, the powers that be at HBO aren't nervous at all.

The series, which is the proud new recipient of 19 Emmy nominations, is already catching up to the five published novels in the planned seven-book series, and HBO President Michael Lombardo recognizes that the network must decide how to proceed when the series outpaces its source material. "George is an integral part [of the story]," he told reporters at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour on Thursday. "Certainly next year we'll have to figure it out with George."

However, HBO Chairman and CEO Richard Plepler said there's nothing that will stand in the way of the network seeing the story completely through to the end of the seven books.

Here's what else the network's bosses had to say:

True Detective heats up: "The two [Season 2] scripts that we have are more exciting than the first season," Plepler said, not confirming that the second season will feature two lead males and one lead female. "I think you will be pleased with the show." As for who will be cast, Lombardo said, "The people who we will cast will be well-known names. Great writing attracts great actors."

All hail Meryl: The network announced that Oscar winner Meryl Streep will star in an adaptation of the Tony Award-winning play Master Class. The HBO Films project will be directed by The Graduate's Mike Nichols, who worked with Streep 10 years ago on HBO's Angels in America. Master Class will begin production in early 2015.

Who runs the world? HBO will film the final two shows of Beyonce and Jay Z's "On the Run" tour in Paris this September to air on the network.

Network newbies: Lombardo said that the network is happy with and in conversations about the futures of both Silicon Valley, which just scored an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Comedy Series, and The Leftovers, which has somewhat struggled to find a solid audience. "It's a tough show in a sense that it deals with tough and challenging human emotions," he said. "But creatively the show is really exceptional."

More Curb? Curb Your Enthusiasm has been absent from the airwaves since 2011, but Lombardo still has high hopes that Larry David will decide to do another season. "As long as he's still thinking about it, we have a place for him," Lombardo said.

Is Open closed? Ryan Murphy's pilot about the exploration of human sexuality and relationships seems like it's on the back burner for now. "Our hope is that this fall when the actors become available to do some more shooting on the pilot, we'll try to figure it out," Lombardo said. "Our experience with Ryan has been nothing but exciting and productive."

Who do you think should join True Detective? And do you want to see more Curb Your Enthusiasm?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/26/2016

Season 6 : Episode 10

39 Comments
Comments (39)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I will say this, the only reason people are starting to worry is the makere of the show They said that S3 AND S4 would be book three material, but they ended up using ample material from the fourth AND the fifth book. Of course, there are plenty new characters they can include and theres plenty of other stuff from the previous books that they ended up not using. So its not like the material isnt there.
Flag
There are plenty of things the characters are able to do now there's time to actually watch their journey

I'm not talking about just Arya & Bran Stark, we can actually see how Osha & Rickon went from hiding to wherever they must be now on the books.
Flag
Yeah I want to see their journey too Skagos and offcourse the natives of Skagos.
Flag
The GoT comments make no sense:

'there's nothing that will stand in the way of the network seeing the story completely through to the end of the seven books'

A strange thing to say when the show is imminently poised to go ahead of the books
Flag
The Leftovers - "But creatively the show is really exceptional."

Really?
Flag
The dogs, just watch those dogs, its like the went mental.

They weren't mad, wild, or feral...they were just...not our dogs anymore.
Flag
I would like to see Dayton Callie,Joel Kinnaman and Amy Adams in the mix for True Detective this season.
Flag
I do think we'll probably see the end of A Song of Ice and Fire on tv before we read it, but I'm not really worried about GRRM dying. Anyone can die of all sorts of things... but sometimes I do joke about him dying, only because I'm anxious to read the next book. I would never post something like that anywhere he might see it, though. That would be rude.

I'm not sure how True Detective could get any better, but I am really excited for the next season.
Flag
It would be fun if HBO announced that there will be no more GOT. Imagine the outrage in social media :)

There can never be enough Curb your enthusiasm. The latest season was brilliant , well 70 % of it anyway.
Flag
I said this in another post already; Typical. People seem more bothered about having no closure on a bit of fiction than a persons actual health. Reverse reasoning at its worst.
Flag
Oh, please, how could anyone doubt that the show will be completed? There are many other shows, not as watched or praised as GoT and had the chance to finish as they intended. However, more than 7 seasons is a bit hard. They should stick to the books. After all, good shows don't need to be long shows. It's their limited duration that keeps them fresh and watchable by new viewers.
Flag
I think 8 Seasons is the minimum at this point - it did take them 4 to get through the first half of the series after all.
Flag
HBO will finish GoT. Good. But will it be a song of ice and fire or HBO's fanfiction?
Flag
Doesn't matter either way since the producers are pretty much linked into GRRM's head at this point. They have probably got incite into every angle of his thinking and could finish the books without him if they wanted. They must have a backup plan that involves not passing the books, there are many ways they could go.
Flag
Look for the win-win: HBO gets GRRM's outlines for the remaining books, writes their series. GRRM gets HBO's scripts and writes the final books before the turn of the next century, "based on the hit HBO TV series". ;-)
Flag
True Detective to be more exciting? Oh fuck. I guess Steven Bochco is going to executive produce and some of his 'quality' ensemble will be cast.
Flag
True Detective Season 2: Viggo Mortensen and David Duchovny
Flag
You would think the Chairman and CEO of a major cable network would refrain from saying stupid fuckin' things like more "exciting" about one of the best shows his network has ever produced.Exciting applies to shows about dragons and vampires not well written and acted drama.They should only hope that the more "exciting" season 2 of True Detective is 1/10 the quality of season 1.I highly doubt it since McConaughey,Harrelson,director Cary Fukunaga and I'm assuming the cinematographer who did a brilliant job last season Adam Arkapaw will not be returning.
Flag
At least they've got the same writer, which is where so much of season 1's strongest direction came from.
Flag
I'm not worried about GoT catching up since these next two books can be 2 seasons each, plus they can add as much story or go in any direction they want. They can even go and do a season about the beginning of the seven kingdoms if they choose but they will probably do a spinoff at a later time about the early years.

For True Detective I would like to see Jason Statham, Morgan Freeman, Colin Farrell, Leonardo Dicaprio, George Clooney, Jamie Foxx, James Spader, Christian Bale. For Actresses I would think Charlize Theron, Susan Sarandon, Natalie Portman, Liv Tyler, Catherine Zeta-Jones, or Jodie Foster. I saw a few who said Bryan Cranston but I don't think he would be able to play the part well. He's a great actor but I just can't see him taking on this type of role. After seeing him in Godzilla he seemed to be the same type as he was in Breaking Bad and I don't think it was on purpose.

I'm also hoping for another epic show to come down the pipe to replace Boardwalk and True Blood and I really hope they go with a huge sci-fi or fantasy since I could never get enough of these type of shows.
More+
Flag
GRRM has already told the show runners the ending, biggest issue is the "kids" are growing up so fast so there's a limited time frame to finish this. You don't want to see Hodor carting Bran around when he is 25 !
Flag
The next two books cannot be two seasons each. First there's the fact that Bran and Sansa are close to finished Book 5, Brienne is midway through Book 4 and Dany is midway through Book 5. Also Books 4 & 5 cover far more characters than Book 3 but don't cover as much time and don't have as many big events. The book series is set up like two trilogies, aSoS was the climax to the first trilogy and therefore really eventful. Books 4 & 5 combined form the first book of the second trilogy, it's back to build up, setting up the pieces. There's no way that each of these books can cover two seasons, especially when GoT needs all of its main characters featured all the time. And HBO doesn't want a 12 season show where the pacing crawls to a halt and nothing happens. imo Season 6 will be the last season to feature any content from Books 4 & 5.
Flag
They will introduce many new characters and will add different scenarios as needed but what are you saying. It sounds like you believe the show will end and be canceled, you sound very pessimistic about things to come. This is a very good team of writers and they will do what they need to make the show great and they will work with GRRM to come to a good solution. I do think they can get at least 3 seasons from these 2 books and possibly 4 but maybe they only do 2 seasons, that would be just fine too. Whatever they decide will be great as long as the story keeps getting told, I couldn't care less if they took it in a completely different direction and added different stories for the characters as long as I am entertained. This is a show based on the books but it is not a documentary on the books and they can do whatever they want with it. I guess some people just want to see all of the possible bad scenarios and expect to be disappointed but I am just happy to have a great story for 10 weeks a year. HBO is good at this and I trust they will find a way to get it done whether it be taking a year off and doing an origin story or doing a flashback season or just moving on without the new books, either way it is a great problem to have.
More +
Flag
I'm not being pessimistic at all, I'm just saying they'll get less than two seasons out of Books 4 &5 and the show getting ahead of the books is unavoidable. GRRM will give them the info they need to push ahead with the show and I'm sure they'll finish off the story in 8 seasons and do a great job. Of course it's disappointing that the books will lag behind the show but they're doing the best they can.
Flag
I hope they take the chance and do an origins type of story after season 6 kind of like Starz did with Spartacus when he was diagnosed with cancer. I think they could get away with 2 seasons of waiting for GRRM since he will probably be done with this one during season 5 and they could do season 7 and 8 on this book and then hopefully the last book will be done after that. They have talked about taking a few seasons to go in another direction if needed in an interview, they just don't want to have to break it up too long. I don't think they could screw this up if they tried because the world is so interesting and has endless possibilities. In my opinion the more seasons it goes on the better. I really hope they do take this world further than the books no matter what happens with GRRM.
Flag
Also Donal Logue would be great as well.
Flag
Donald Logue and Michael Raymond-James reunion!! Fuck you FX!!
Flag
People need to get over the freak out about GoT catching up with the books. There are 2 books in between where the show is at now and what has been released. Get over it.
Flag
While you are right in that they need to get over the freakout, there aren't 2 books in between anymore. The recently completed season of GoT was a mixture of books 3, 4 and 5. Books 4 and 5 have divided the characters and run simultaneously.

This means:
1. Bran's story has one more chapter to use on the show before it enters book 6.
2. Sansa's story also has only another chapter to use before she catches up with book 6.
3. Book 4 is very heavy on GoT history and therefore a lot of the book is not going to be put in the show. Most people (me included) wouldn't mind the tv show skipping a good 70-80% of the book too.
Flag
Stephen King started writing the Dark Tower series in 1970. It ended in 2004 with an extra short story coming out 2 years ago. That series is a little less lengthy than GRRMs, and King is a guy who can crank out a book a year. Leeave GRRM alone.
Flag
Actually, I'm pretty sure The Gunslinger started in installments in 1977, Stephen King was about 30 upon release. George R R Martin was 48 when A Game of Thrones was released, and has written almost nothing but the books for the series for nearly 20 years, King as you said, can release about a book a year on average and has done so that entire time, Martin is averaging about 1 book every 5 years as of late. The math is really not on Martin's side....
Flag
The short stories that would become The Gunslinger began to be published in 1978, but he started the writing process in 1970. If the Dark Tower Companion is to be trusted, that is. Anyway, my point was that creativity can't be forced. Even in my personal experience (which counts for nothing really), you can't recreate quality with an anvil on your head.
Flag
Thank God GRRM is taking more care with aSoIaF than King did with Dark Tower.
Flag
Definitely want more Curb.
Some people that I think would be good on True Detective include Holly Hunter, Franka Potente, Colin Farrell, Edie Falco, Brendan Gleeson, Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul, Michael C Hall, Elijah Wood, Elizabeth Moss, Simon Pegg and a cameo from Larry David!
Flag
Was there really any doubt that they would finish GOT? They picked it up for a 5th and 6th season at the same time, showing how confident they are in it (and with good reason, considering it recently became their most-watched series of all time), plus the creators sat down with GRRM to talk about the ending in case they catch up to the books, or something else happens that would otherwise prevent them from finishing it (or at least force them to make up their own ending).

Honestly, the biggest news to me is the fact that HBO is actually willing to talk to GRRM to see how they were going to handle the possibility of surpassing the books. From what I've heard (especially with the creators' seven-season plan), I just assumed they'd do their own thing, and if he didn't finish the books before then, that's his problem.
Flag
Thank God for HBO. I know GRRM is an old man and it takes time to write quality stuff, but he's way too slow.
Flag
Yeh fuck George Martin for being too slow, selfish old codger /s
Flag
Especially when he has virtually no other projects in the works whatsoever!
Flag
Game of Thrones will be completed no matter what that is all I really wanted to know thanks HBO!

Flag
Follow this Show
Members