A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO
After Grumpyclown's fantastic discussion about that scene that occurred in the latest episode I started to think about a good reason as to why the writers would want Jaime to backslide and neglect some of the character development he's had since Catelyn released him. I wanted to make up an excuse to 'save his development' which is ridiculous. However, I thought of something that has been a pretty big theme in the books and in the show. Identity crisis. This show has plenty of characters that struggle with who they are and while Jaime never really had this in the books, the show is known to change things up.

This article is not going to include spoilers concerning what's going to happen. However I will be talking about the inner monologue some of these characters have in the books. Something that the show has not/has yet to portray in a clear fashion. So if you have not read the books and plan on doing so at certain point, this might not the article for you.

So let's start with:

Jaime Lannister:

This is most likely just me grasping at straws but I think that the writers/we have 'two Jaimes'.

There's the one I like to call Kingslayer, a knight who saves King's Landing and grows bitter because of being judged for that. To this man justice is dead. This is the armor of the person who stood guard behind the Mad King's bedroom as the king raped his wife, and then spent a lot of time listening as his sister's husband disrespected her by whoring around.

After most likely spending his childhood dreaming (probably as naively as Sansa in S01) of being a knight in a shining armor and a hero and of honor, this was a harsh reality check. The only redeeming quality of this 'Kingslayer persona' is the fact that he loves his brother who is universally hated by his family.

Then there's Jaime Lannister. This persona is what the Kingslayer shielded from the cruelties of Westeros. This is the honorable part of Jaime that started to fade out when he couldn't do anything to help the Mad King's wife and completely disappeared when he was judged for killing the king that attempted to kill the population of King's Landing. This is the part of Jaime that Brienne brought out with her honesty, chivalry and honor. This is the part we saw in increasing amount during season 3.

The writers are now probably going for the clash of the personalities thing. Cersei is bringing out the Kingslayer persona and not a single fan wants that... I think (by the small preview for the next episode) that the Kingslayer vs. Jaime Lannister is settled in the next episode. Cersei asks if Jaime would give her Sansa's head if she asked for it and this will probably trigger the duel between the personalities. Kingslayer would do it because of 'the things he does for love' but then there's Jaime Lannister who vowed to Catelyn to take Sansa to safety. I think that the outside forces of Brienne and Cersei will settle this because in many ways Cersei represents Kingslayer and Brienne represents Jaime Lannister. It's who makes the bigger impact on Jaime that wins.

I think that that scene from the last episode was Jaime backsliding to Kingslayer... Head first. It doesn't excuse his actions, but it makes the show's redemption arc salvageable for me. Though I guess I should call it some sort of a struggle of personalities which makes Jaime sound like he's suffering from split personalities.

And just so this isn't basically me recycling ideas for an article I'm going to extend this to few other characters:

Sansa Stark:

Sansa is a combination of what she was taught (a lady), her mother (a Tully) and her father (a Stark). By the way, this is the part where I talk about the inner monologue of the books a bit, not much though. Her predicament has caused these parts of her personality to clash in many ways.

• In season 1 we saw the combination of the lady and Tully with the Tully personality fighting with the Stark personality (and winning). Sansa fancied the south and her actions were guided by her infatuation with the idea of being queen.
  • In season 2 we saw the combination of the lady and Stark with Tully's role a bit more unclear. Sansa hid behind her courtesies and endured the beatings like a Stark would while yearning for the North.
  • In season 3 we saw the lady and the destruction of Sansa's Stark personality. Many has shown frustration of the fact that Sansa never quite opened up to Tyrion. They could have hit it off properly as neither of them really wanted to be in the position they wanted to be. But there's the one thing that the show omitted that would have made it a lot more understandable for me. The chapter where Sansa and Tyrion get married. There's this bitter, sad and depressing line of inner monologue from Sansa: ”They have made me a Lannister.” I think that that alone is enough of a reason to not get friendly with Tyrion... And you know... Tyrion is a Lannister could suffice as well.
  • In the latest episode Sansa is now on the run. Sansa Stark is now symbolically dead. She is in the same position as Arya. She can't be a Stark until there's a Stark at Winterfell.

Jon Snow:

Jon's search of identity is one of the clearest. It's obvious that he wants to be a Stark but the fact that he's a bastard bothers him too much. Jon being a bastard is one of the biggest parts of his identity in the first season and even though he has a family in Winterfell, it's obvious that at the same time he doesn't think he is a part of that family. Fuse this with the naivety that Jon had in season 1 and the Night's Watch is the obvious choice for him

The mystical and noble brotherhood that Jon had heard tales of. Of course he would yearn for something like that. Jon is a Stark in the end. He seeks honor and Night's Watch promises that. But it also promises a family which I think was one of the driving forces when Jon made his decision to join the Watch which then didn't turn out to be as legendary as the fairytales had tols him. But in the end, Jon found his identity, family, and purpose in the Watch.

During season 3 Jon begins to struggle with his identity as a Night's Watch's man as he has to infiltrate the wildlings. But this is more of a temporary thing (and his loyalty to the Watch is the reason for this adventure) so I don't really need to talk about this.

Jon is a man of the Night's Watch. His identity crisis has mostly concluded.

Theon Greyjoy:
This is probably the clearest identity crisis that this show has. Identity seems to be the biggest theme of Theon's storyline in every season.

• In season 2, Theon struggles with his Stark and Greyjoy identity. He chooses Greyjoy.
  • In season 3, Theon's identity struggles continue but now he has started to change his mind. He realises that Starks were his family more than Greyjoys ever were. A little too late, I might add.
  • In season 4, Ramsay kills Theon but a pathetic phoenix called Reek rises from the ashes. Theon is no more. Well he is... But he is so deep in Reek's sub-conscious that he's as good as dead.

That concludes that. I hope it makes any sense at all. I think it did... Don't you just love this show? This is the first show that has caused me to talk write this much about a TV-show.

Sorry for spamming the community page. Two articles in two days. I need to calm down... And I will.
Follow this Show