A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

[King's Landing. A well-dressed man stands in the middle of a fighting arena before 10,000 screaming fans...]

Laaaaadies and gentlemen... and eunuchs and wargs and dragons and wildlings and Lancel Lannister... from the fight promoters who brought you the Brawl at Harrenahl, the Cray Cray with Walder Frey, and the Personal Attack at Castle Black (sorry, fight promoters in Westeros aren't very good at naming fights), we welcome you to our main event, the Reprimanding in King's Landing, to determine the guilt of Tyrion Lannister in the murder of King Joffrey Baratheon! This fight will be to the death. LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!!!! 

[Jock Jamz plays]

In this corner, we have...

THE MOUNTAIN

Name: Gregor Clegane

Nickname: The Mountain That Rides

Champion for: Cersei Lannister, against Tyrion Lannister

Hometown: The Westerlands

Body type: Mountainous, like three men slapped together

Height: Nearly eight feet tall, according to the books

Weight: 420 pounds of muscle, zero pounds of mercy

Princess Bride comparison: Fezzik

Fighting for: Fun!

Known combat skills: Disemboweling, skewering, julienning, mincing, and pureeing, plus he can smash two heads together to make that coconut BONK sound

And in this corner, we have...

THE RED VIPER 

Name: Oberyn Martell

Nickname: The Red Viper

Champion for: Tyrion Lannister, to prove his innocence

Body type: Slender and able to wriggle into small places, which comes in handy during his orgies

Height: Normal-ish. The size of one single man. Let's say he's about 5'10"

Weight: Probably like 170, eh? 

Princess Bride comparison: Inigo Montoya

Fighting for: Revenge for the murder and rape of his sister, Elia Martell. ("My name is Oberyn Martell. You killed my sister. Prepare to die.")

Known combat skills: He studied poisons at the Citadel, he's a real tomcat in the sack, he can put blades through the hands of mouthy Lannisters, and he's supposedly a great warrior, but we've never seen fight with anything other than his tongue

Official Braavos betting line: 

The Mountain's legend as the greatest warrior in Westeros has him as an early heavy favorite. The Mountain (-500), the Red Viper (+400). 

ARE YOU EXCITED FOR THE FIGHT OF THE CENTURY!?!?!? Who do you think will win?

Please, no book spoilers in the comments!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/26/2016

Season 6 : Episode 10

94 Comments
Comments (94)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I have not read the books, so am only making an observation - my theory is that Oberyn (good with poisons) will have a poisoned weapon (covering all bases that if he does lose - at least the Mountain would also die - even if it would end up a slooooow death).
However, in an ideal world he will stab the Mountain in a perfectly aimed bolt to the heart (whilst obtaining a confession), kills him.
However, this been George's world - It ends up been a small wound and the Mountain manages to kills Oberyn (in a rather horrific way). Oberyn is dead and the Mountain has been poisoned - he dies - but slowly and painfully.
Tyrion is found guilty (because "technically" the Mountain has survived the fight and will be put to death.

Though - I would like to here pose a question.
If they were to kill each other - in one of those grappling with each other and stabbing each other simultaneously kind of ways .... What does that mean for Tyrion???

Is he Guilty - thus he dies
Is he Innocent - thereby set free
Is he only Half Guilty - therefore maybe sending him to the wall?? Which whilst not ideal, at least means he is alive??

More+
Flag
Possibly The Mountain has to loose and is taken care of by the Lannister's so not to loose a powerful ally.

Thing is - someone needs to die so to close books on the regicide by poison.

Sooo.... the winner is 'outside chance'.

Flag
Oberyn Martel's spear appears to be poisoned. He makes a way for his spear through The Hound's armour. When The hound's gets all lazy, Oberyn makes him confess that he raped and killed his sister, Elia Martell of Dourne, and her children. He comes near The Hound and the Hound thrashes his sword through Oberyn. Both die.
Flag
That would be great, if he was fighting the hound!
Flag
It would be funny if somehow they both died.
Flag
I am scared that Oberyn will not survive this fight, which is a shame because I absolutely love him.
Flag
Really, Fezzik? Sure you have the size and strength angle but Fezzik in both the book and movie was described as gentle giant. In the book he was deathly afraid of hurting anyone.
Flag
Clegane wakes up next to Obi the next morning and wonders just how much he drank
Flag
Oberyn Martell is chilean, you don't mess with chileans
Flag
I'm scared for Obi. That Mountain ain't no easy climb. But, I'm gonna go with my dude Obi. I think he can do it. :)

I'm really excited for this, not gonna lie. Bring it.
Flag
They will both survive, they are fighting a duel not going to a wedding :)
I hope Oberyn Martell wins, he is a good character in the show.
Flag
You're probably right. But, if either of them enters the ring to The Rains of Castamere...
Flag
The Mountain versus The Poison .
Flag
I think the Mountain will probably kill Oberyn which is a shame because I really like Oberyn and I want to see more of him.

I think we're on the third actor now playing Ser Gregor. Does anyone know why they keep recasting the part?
Flag
The first actor (Conan Stevens) wanted to keep on playing Clegane but for some reason he wasn't hired again. Yes, he did get a part in the Hobbit but that apparantly wasn't the whole reason.
The second one didn't really look right so I think it was a good choice to bring in the third actor.
Flag
Thank you for that, and I thought I was just going mad. Obviously I wasn't paying enough attention to his character to notice the change of actor, so thank you again for clearing that up
Flag
He's a minor character and the actors get better roles and money elsewhere.
Flag
While I cant see them killing Tyrion this being game of thrones I'm sure they will find a way to either still kill Oberyn or have him be badly, badly injured. I think regardless of the outcome Tyrion will be elsewhere than Kingslanding next season. Really looking forward to next episode! Also where the hell is my man Gendry!...
Flag
Well I definitely want Oberyn to win, for Tyrion and for his own revenge, but this is GOT and things aren't fair, and as much as I want Tyrion to be 2-0 at Trial by Combat, I have a feeling he's not so lucky. I'm so fucking anxious for Sunday
Flag
i dont think they will let the mountain kill oberyn. his too kool of a character and brand new too. id be rly sad if they killed him.
Flag
ELIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
"You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children." - Only quote from the book I need to see during this fight!
Flag
I remember pausing for ten minutes because I can't read and cry at the same time.
Flag
The only question in my mind is will the fight be as good as in the book, will it be better or will it fall flat. I'm hoping its better but its incredible in the books.
Flag
Mincing may be a battle skill in San Francisco but not The Westerlands, Shirley?
Flag
Is Paul Bettany available to do his medieval Michael Buffer thing?

Flag
Missandei is much better at this. Plus, she introduces Dany in Valyrian!
Flag
Well, in the book...Psych!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
That would be lose lose.
Flag
either that, or both sides are reeeeeally loose
Flag
If u really think Oberyn's going t win this fight then u clearly r a newbie and sitill ignornt to how game of thrones is set up. classic example, ned stark. he was everyone's favourite,the proverbial do-gooder,guess wat happened to him!!! like the hound said to arya, the man with the bigger sword and th e armour always wins. You have got to tink logically with game of thrnes,soon as u let ur emotions in your judgement is clouded. in as much as we al like oberyn cos he stood up for Tyrion ,my man oberyn is gonna go down,albeit quite spectacularly if we can believe all the hype going on about the fight. Oberyn's a great guy but Game of Thrones chews good guys and spits them out with relish. come Sunday Oberyn will be no more,of this i have no doubts at all
Flag
Ya logically speaking that is but still this is GOT, remember Littlefinger is the orchestrator of all the events here except for Dany's storyline and he is just a pawn in the table at first. Dany is what? a 14 year-old girl (if ii remember correctly) and now he owns the East. The Hound is correct in saying but there are always exemption to the rule. And I rather don't give the mother bitch and his father lion the satisfaction. Give Tyrion some love, eh?
Flag
Well now u know not to get sentimental abt GOT characters. I'm assuming u have watched last night's episode n like I sed,Oberyn is done.Logic prevails once more. N abt Tyrion I av much love for the man,one of the greatest characters in GOT,n I don't think this is how his story ends,he's too important a character to have something as ridiculous as a duel be the end of him,I have faith he'll find a way out of his current predicament,I mean he's Tyrion for godsakes,if anyone can do this it's him
Flag
I concurred. Oberyn is a great character and hated it that he loose to a character that is remotely human at all. The fight as I see it is somewhat an analogy of fans vs the writer/s (book and series). Oberyn is flawed in the way that he has to much of an anger and hatred (emotion) to think logically, that the fans including me. The Mountain has one thing to do and he succeeded, like the writers they have on thing to do - mislead, for the most part. It was a damn fine fight and i can still see Oberyn's crushed head as i type. Tyrion is the smartest of them all, almost just above Littlefinger. He'll live another day... for now.
Flag
YOU KILLED HER, You RAPED HER, YOU BASHED HER HEAD IN!!! MUHAHAHa
Flag
Won't spoil it. But since we're talking spoilers to begin with, the drama has strayed time and again from the books, so we'll see what happens.
Flag
Oberyn will make us all :o !!!!
Flag
Lmao fighting skills & weapon....Tongue rolling!
Flag
Gotta love it when people enjoy their job !
Flag
Yeah!!! Awesome fight promo page!!! :D
Flag
Oberyn has to prevail if for no other reason that HBO surely can't be bothered to re-cast the Mountain for a bloody 4th time if the character had to make another appearance...
No disrespect to Mountain#3 but he looks nothing like the Hound... I think Mountain#1 was the scariest
Flag
Yes, they seem to be going lower in the scary scale with each new one.
The original guy looked like the psycho The Mountain is.
Flag
Hahahaha, this is awesome
Flag
There's no doubt that Gregor will be an ex-Mountain by the end of the fight. More of a small hill, maybe.
Flag
Electricity for wi-fi and laptop charge: $ 3
Cup of tea: $ 1
Waiting for everyone's reaction to the episode: Priceless
Flag
And I can't believe they would kill off Tyrion - he's one of the linchpin characters - or Prince Oberyn for that matter, after spending so much screen time on him this season, introducing us to this new character, and building him up into someone complex & likeable! I think it's a matter of logic - either kill off Oberyn AND Tyrion, or the Mountain, who's just a thug with no personality!!

Flag
Yeah, but they killed Ned Stark in the first season.
Flag
Yes they did. And as someone who had not read the books nor even heard of GOT the death of Ned stark had to happen. At least for the series. His death was the catalyst for just about every story line on the show (book). Just imagine him alive now: Arya would have long hair, Sansa might be home and wouldn't have to remind herself of her castle in snow and theon might still have his favorite toy. Now if oberyn was to die at this point in the story it would make no sense to me. They would have started to develop his character for nothing. He has to win. I'm betting on it. That's just my take.
Flag
Life isn't fair no matter how much effort you put into it doesn't mean a car wont smash into and kill you. The amount of character development a person has wont save them for being axed.
Flag
True. The development of Oberyn in the show would have no meaning if he died. At least from what I'm remembering... the show is so slow going a week at a time, and when you have read the books the visualization of the characters in your mind start to blend with the show. So I can't be for sure if we've even gotten into the story of Oberyn's family yet. I'm pretty sure we haven't. However in the books the character actually has a point, whether he lives or dies in the upcoming scene. In the book, I'm pretty sure we are introduced to some information about his family before the battle commences. I'm not very sure, it's all a big fuzz need to re-read the books read them too fast because they were soo good.. lol
Flag
Seeing as Oberyn is clearly on Tyrion's side anyway, his asking for a Trial by Combat was quite unnecessary - no way Prince Oberyn would have voted him guilty (& presumably if there's only 3 judges they'd have to be unanimous!

On other matters, I do hope Sansa & Arya will finally get to meet up again soon - they both so desperately need family - & they haven't seen each other since before Ned was beheaded, in season one! It's funny though, how Sansa & Baelish got to the Eyrie by boat in one episode, while Arya & the Hound have been walking for THREE YEARS, but STILL haven't arrived yet! That's kinda stupid!

Also, whatever happened to Rickon, the youngest Stark boy? Last we saw of him, Bran sent him off with Osha & told them to head to the wall - but that was like 2 years ago! They should have arrived long before now: Bran & his crew reached (& passed) it ages ago - on their, quite frankly, moronic journey!

I mean, three children, one of whom's paraplegic, & a mute half-wit travel by themselves, on foot, into the scariest part of the continent which everyone knows is where all the whitewalkers & other monsters live, just to look for some 3-eyed crow Bran had one dream about, like 2-&-a-half years ago, just so he can practise his warg-ing - which he's already kickass at & better than anyone else!!

Why not just wait for Jon, or at the very least rest up at Castle Black for a few days?? You know, have some proper food, do some laundry, check their emails, have a cup of tea or something - & hey, maybe even find a couple of adult men with swords & knowledge of the area to accompany them.....? Am I right?? Their idiots, & this whole journey of Bran's is sheer lunacy!!

And may I just say, "Go, Daenerys! We love you!!"
More+
Flag
I don't recall Rickon being sent to the wall. I think they sent him off to stay with Stark bannermen.

Oberyn isn't really on Tyrion's side. He just wants to kill the Mountain.
Flag
I am not so sure about Oberyn's motives. Yes, of course he wants to kill the mountain, but that would be more easily accomplished by dirty fighting, or at least not an adrenalin filled trial by combat. I think that during the trial, and particularly the speech by Tyrion, he seemed to develop a true respect for "the imp"
Flag
Well what about the whole lannister incest/bastard son story that was supposed to be a secret and pivotal in driving the first arc. Bloody hell, everyone from Westeros and beyond (i.e. even the Iron Bank knows it). If that's the case, Bran's fall was moot and the so was the whole Ned the Detective Stark's discovery. Regardless it is entertaining. As long as we have spectacular deaths and beautiful women, then I'm all right.
Flag
What do you mean "Bran's fall was moot"? I mean perhaps if his fall happened RIGHT NOW in the storyline, but to get to where we ARE. It was a very important key factor. No one knew about the incest when Bran saw the "deed", which is why Jamie attempted to kill him. The fall played a role in developing many characters personas and overall worth to the audience. We learn about Jamie and Cersei, and especially about how cruel Jamie could be when it comes to protecting his secrets and his sister. It allowed Cat to develop a story, her protecting Bran from the assassin. Cat discovers Bran's fall may have not been an accident and that branches off to her tracing the dagger back to Tyrion and our introduction to Bronn at the Eyrie. Ned also gains some character development, us learning that he values his Honor before anyting, putting in front of his own son potentially dieing. Ned was going to King's Landing to become the Hand, and he could of well changed his mind going to his old friend Robert saying he wanted to stay to take care of his dying son.

So infact... it was pretty important. If the truth had come out, instead of Bran falling. Robert would of most likely beheaded Jamie, divorced/killed Cersei slaughtered his children and the entire series would just sort of... end. I mean Ned's discovery of the "incest" in King's Landing is really what gets him killed because he is dumb enough to tell Cersei he knows. WIthout Ned's death (even though he was an amazing character) the entire series would of been bland. Ned really was the linchpin for the entire series. I mean who wants to read/watch a regular family aging in the "similar-to-middle-ages" time period, at best they could of made it overly dramatic and turned it into the "Real Housewives of Westeros".
More +
Flag
It might be 2 years according to HBO but in the story itself it has only been a couple of months.
Flag
It's a majority vote by the three judges.
Flag
Oberyn has to win, right?
Flag
As much as I hate this break I understand HBO's decision.
You don't have to be a greenseer to realize, that this break before such a highly anticipated episode will bring HBO a new ratings record. ^^
Flag
lol... damn HBO greenseers are fucking geniuses. Evil geniuses of course.. utilizing their powers for the wrong reasons.
Flag
Just imagine how many businesses counting on the official opening weekend of summer losing their business because no one went out on a trip because they wanted to watch GoT. ;-)
Flag
wow, this break really pisses me off...well done HBO, well done...
Flag
As much as I would love to see Oberyn win, I just don't think it's realistic. I mean look at that hughe frickin' Mountain! He has a longer reach with his arms and getting hit once by that strength is probably your death. But then again, I want to see Tyrion stick around (my favorite!!) and I'd also prefer not to see Oberyn die (and I hate what the Mountain did to his sister!!!) so I hope he will kick Gregor's ass somehow. But this is GoT. People we like get murdered and die all the time. :/
Flag
It could be along the lines of what Bronn did during Tyrion's first trial by combat - since he was smaller/more agile/wore less armor, he was able to not tire as quickly as the other guy (in a fight, exhaustion can lead to the slightest mistake). I haven't read the books, but I'm hoping that will happen.
Flag
Not true! I live in Japan. While not a (heh, heh) huge fan of sumo wrestling, I've watched enough to learn that it is not always the most massive or tallest wrestler who wins. Speed, agility, and quick wits plus superior technique play a lot in a smaller competitor besting a larger foe.
Flag
Game.... of... Thrones... with....draw....al... slymtomensesaaaaaaaaaaaaa...
Flag
No games of throne this week fuk HBO! ;)
Flag
And in the middle of the fight a woman falls from the sky.
Flag
Stupid HBO... -.-
Flag
Surely there's a better word than reprimanding.
Flag
Love the promo! I can almost hear the "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY"!
Flag
Of course Oberyn will prevail.

This is going to be a variant on the David vs. Goliath legend.

The question is not whether. The question is how. How will the writers come up with a creative, un-cliched variation on the brain over brawn theme. Can they pull it off? Not that easy. The theme has been worked to death through repetition.

Example: Indiana Jones vs. the Arab swordsman in Raiders.
Flag
I just find it funny that people will comment claiming "to know" the result, when as Mark said It's already happened. The book "from what I remember" did a great job of this scene and the results are surprising. You would have never guessed Dany's dragon Drogon comes out of nowhere and burned all of King's Landing, killing everyone in the process besides Tyrion who was too short to burn. O SHIT, My bad.. &--- SPOILER

No but seriously "The question is not whether. The question is how."
It's strange you are so confident in these results... did you cheat and look up the victor?, it's a google search away over on the ice and fire wiki. PS: Don't ruin it, the details are 80% of the conflict. It would suck to read in the wiki something like "Big Hill kills Mountain which kills Planet."
Flag
haha i was just going to put up the Indiana Jones thing.... would be so perfect, but the show has already done something similar at the gates of Mereen. I think Oberyn will still win, but how, I haven't got a clue, so many possible outcomes, but I think he'll just be more dedicated, and not have the overconfidence that The Mountain will obviously have.
Flag
Oh, Bevin... are you in for a treat. :)
Flag
The writers don't need to "come up with" anything. The fight has been written, excellently I might add, in the book. All the show writers have to do is adapt it and add some choreography. No spoilers ... but the (book) fight (and result) is certainly not a cliché.
Flag
I spoiled this for myself because I didn't want to well spoiler emotion over an episode of GoT. So basically I am looking forward to one of two events that follow the fight. Oh no two of three events. But I would bet with my heart here...go Red Viper.
Flag
they both lose
Flag
See, these are the articles I used to hate before I read the books, if only because you just know someone is bound to post spoilers just to ruin the fun.

I just love Oberyn Martell, from his bisexual proclivities to his poetry writing (to his daughter, no less!). And the new Mountain is not as bad as I thought he would be, recasting him seems like tradition at this point.

May the best one win!
Flag
People cannot stop with the spoilers in one way or the other. And articles like this make is worse. I was thinking the same thing you did when I started to read it.
Flag
The worst ones are "I haven't read the books but here's my [totally taken from the book] speculation"

In the end the only thing left for me to do was to read the books and take the power from whoever wanted to spoil me. At this point, I'm looking forward to a surprise Baby Walkers style or like the did when Talisa died at The Red Wedding.
Flag
Bet on the little guy!
Flag
Bet on the Dragons, the Dragons always win... duh.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members