A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

Get ready to exclaim, "Who is that grown-ass man riding on Hodor's back?" when Game of Thrones debuts its sixth season in 2016. According to Kristian Nairn, the actor who plays the oafish Hodor, neither his character nor Bran Stark will be part of the show in Season 5. 

"We have a season off and we have a year's hiatus," Nairn said in a recent interview with Australia's Australian Broadcasting Commission. "Solely because I imagine our storyline is up to the end of the books." 

While Nairn didn't specifically explain which Game of Thrones characters are included in that "we," he's likely referring to Hodor, Bran, Meera, and direwolf Summer, all of whom have been traveling together in the same storyline. And that suggests it's going to be a while before we get any new details on the fireball-throwing kid and the weirdo in the Weirwood tree we met in the excellent Season 4 finale

This is a bummer, since I spent most of Season 4 complaining about Bran's story... until the end, when it became one of Game of Thrones' more interesting plots. Do YOU want to have to wait a year to see this again? 

Not to mention the fact that, the next time we see Bran, he'll be about 28 years old with an achy hip instead of the tween he should be.

However, a break from one storyline means more space for others as Game of Thrones gets more and more crowded. Remember, there was such a premium on screen time in Season 4 that Bran only appeared in four episodes.

This won't be too much of a surprise for Game of Thrones fans who've read Books 4 and 5 in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novel series, as several major characters from the earlier part of the story are absent from those two installments. In fact, Book 4 introduces a ridiculously high number of new folks, some of whom have already been cast. Could additional storylines from Seasons 1 through 4 be be taking a year off? I don't know. 

As for Nairn, don't worry about him. He'll be making the lasers dance as part of his DJ Tour called "Rave of Thrones," a Game of Thrones-themed traveling dance party that he spins records for. Seriously

Requests for comment and confirmation from HBO were unanswered as of press time. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/26/2016

Season 6 : Episode 10

75 Comments
Comments (75)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
If you've read the books that have been published to date then you will understand why Bran's size doesn't matter very much. They might need to leave out a brief transition and catch us up with dialogue, or they can use special Fx on that transition from Bran on Hodor's back to Bran not on Hodor's back.
Flag
This is terrible news. Can't they come up with some completely irrelevant adventures of Hodor content? Maybe he gets lost and has to Hodor his way through the woods? They could have a 30 second shot of him running through the woods confused and Hodoring each episode. I mean sure, it would be WTF the first couple times, but by episode 3 we'd all be looking forward to it each week.
Flag
HODOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
fine with me
Flag
I could take a year or two off Deynerias and let her get her shit figured out/dragons grow. She was clearly the most exciting character early in the show. now she is the most boring and i just roll my eyes when she appears... half her scene is her slave reading off her title.... its the worst
Flag
Isaac Hempstead-Wright said in a recent interview (~5:50) that his next filming project was the next season of Game of Thrones, so it looks as though Bran will be there, but apparently without Hodor.
Flag
It just hit me: its going to be a season without hodoring...
Flag
Well, I figured they'd have to do something like this.
Flag
This is very good news, Season 5 is going to need all the free space it can get. And it's Australian Broadcasting Corporation, not Australian Broadcasting Commission.
Flag
Kristian Nairn got robbed at the Emmys. I fully expected him to win Best Supporting Hodor in a Hodor or Hodor.
Flag
Hodor :(
Flag
God dammit... Hodor's dialogue was one of the best I've ever seen.
Flag
They should be filming year round. That way we wouldn't have to worry about the actors getting that much older, and with game of thrones being so popular, having the next 4/5 seasons finished ( avg. 2 seasons a year) shooting could be done in 2-3 years
would not be a problem. It is the best way to do it really.
Flag
You do realize that the series is based on a limited selection of books right! a selection on books that GRRM hasn't yet finished writing, we are already 70% through the already completed story line and you are suggesting that they rush through the rest, which will guarantee that the ending to the series would be shit. Also another thing that you aren't realizing is that the characters are supposed to age quickly within this series, as years can go by between the tales of each book, I mean Jon Snow started as a 14 year old. It also takes one month to travel between Kings landing and winterfell yet it is done within one episode. aging of the actors isn't a problem, If it was they would have recast him at the beginning of the forth season, since he looks nothing like he used to in season one. Also the same could be said about Rickon since he was cut out of the last season, but lets face it your not going to get turned off from the stories because the actors have aged, if you do you really have no concept of time
Flag
Yea yea the actors want to do other things than GOT... But GOT gotta comes first..
Flag
Also you need to remember where some of the locations they use are, not all of are suited to year round filming.
Flag
Screenwriting, set production, there is a lot that goes on before filming. TV shows generally work all but like 6 weeks out of the year or something.
Flag
He better be, Bran is ageing quickly, lol
Flag
Bran & Hodor should get their own series!!!
What would be a good name?
Flag
Wheelbarrow boy and walder (latter probably only understood by die hard fans of a song of ice and fire)
Flag
2 broke guys
Flag
Westeros Vice
Flag
Brador
Flag
I like this one, LOL!
It could also be MasterBlaster too... LOL Remember that one from The Mad Max franchise?
Flag
Bran & Hodor
Flag
HODOR!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Hodor!
Flag
This doesn't surprise me since Bran's story line (where they took it in s4) is caught up to the source material. What does surprise me is that the show didn't properly flesh out his journey to there to begin with. Granted, that would take a long time and there's only so much you can cover in a season, so I get it. I just think by the time we see them again in the show viewers (especially non-book readers) will be like "who the hell is that?!" because it had been so long since seeing him and that it will be (likely) a new, older actor portraying him. On another note, I would like it if the show took a page from the books and concentrated on one character at a time more often - versus bouncing back and forth between a million of them in one episode. They tried it once with the penultimate episode of s4 with the attack on the wall and I think it worked very well. Though, if each chapter were an episode we would have the longest running series ever so, again I get why they don't.
Flag
I agree completely - in fact, there is only one chapter left of Bran's plot line that has been published already, and very probably his chapters from The Winds of Winter (the next book in the series) are not ready yet. Now, the producers have been known for changing entire character plots, but Bran is a different case. I consider him one of the six main characters of the story, along with Tyrion, Daenarys, Jon, Sansa and Arya. In fact, I believe Bran is one of the characters for which George R.R. Martin has the story already planned, so it would make sense if more time is given.

Overall, a good decision. It may also let the producers recast the role, if Isaac Hempstead-Wright appears too big for the part. He will be 16 when the filming of season 6 starts, so there is that option on the table. Of course, Isaac has been brilliant so far and it will be a big loss, so I hope they don't come down to that point. After all, Maisie Williams has grown a lot too, and I don't think anyone imagines Arya played by someone else.
Flag
For me, the most important part in Bran arc in the books is all the stories about the history we discovered with the tales Jojen tells Bran while they are traveling, and none of it was in the series... is because of that this arc seems boring and pointless in the series...
Flag
This is good news for any fans of the books. From Nairn's comments, the show is at least trying to honour the books and wait on GRRM's book series to catch up. The only way to do that is for him to get writing and hurry along on the next book which can only be a good thing. I can see Bran and Hodor making a small contribution towards the end of season 5 when Bran's lessons begin however.
Flag
If they are waiting for GRRM why cut out certain characters and plotlines
Flag
They're not really cutting them out. They're giving them the year off. From where he is now (even on the show), he's basically about to go into training for his powers. That's going to take a while, and probably won't translate all that well to the screen. And frankly, they're just about caught up to where he is in the books currently, while most of the other characters are a book or two behind him. They don't want to get his story too far ahead.

Plus, with all of the new characters in Dorne and elsewhere, the show is getting very big and stretched out. This gives them more time to focus on other storylines, until Bran's gets more interesting. As it is, most of the most interesting stuff with Bran and company this season (everything at Craster's Keep) was made up for the show to give them (and Jon) something to do while the other storylines caught up. They left out all the boring stuff about them trudging through the snow while starving, although they also left out an interesting companion they had.
Flag
I read the books, mate. I was talking about the Greyjoys and Arianne and Quentyn
Flag
I think that means that RR Martin is way behind from what supposed to be the plan and production want to slow the pace (focusing on another stories, maybe adding another season to the series). Bran's story is the most important in GOT and creators want to give some time to Martin to write the penultimate book first.
PS1. I havent read the books so please no spoilers
PS2. Sorry for my English
Flag
Then, i hope we can see more boobs next season.
Flag
I won't be sorry not to see those ridiculous zombie skeletons for a year (or ever, really).
Flag
All I could think of was Jason and the Argonauts when I saw them
Flag
but.. they wasted all this time getting him to the tree, and now we don't get to see what it's all about? I hope he comes back when winter comes at least.
Flag
Makes sense, they've pretty much got his arc up to date, and there's a lot to cover in season 5.
Flag
I'm not that upset I never really hit into brans story nor did I car about it a whole lot. I cared more about Jon snow and the adorable pyhco in training arya.
Flag
Not upset about it. While the last episode featuring these characters was pretty much that story-line's peak, and hence it will not be touched in Season 5, it wasn't all that exciting leading up to it, and as Tim said there is a lot of other stuff that can fill the space.
Flag
Nuts...I wanted to see what was going to happen. I hope this is not an indication that they will make extra stuff up to prolong the television story so GRRM can finish his books. Too much filler = meh = Peter Jackson's The Hobbit trilogy (8+ hrs of screen time for a 280 page book).
Flag
I hate to break it to you, but they have been making up extra stuff since the second season, Most of Arya's and the hounds story last season was made up or taken from other earlier books, reincorporated to include a story line where those two stay together. They have done this mainly because Bran's story has pretty much come to the point where GRRM's written up to, So unless you want them to make up extra stuff for him to do, you'll just have to wait a year. The next series is also likely to introduce some very important new characters, so for that I am happy that they have cut out his scenes to make room for more important ones. I just hope that they resurrect Catelyn Stark for at least one episode so that she can kill Walder Frey.
Flag
I realize that they have made some things up for the television show and I think most of the stuff they've made up has been good. But there is a huge difference between making things up to improve the story and making things up to prolong the story. If they start doing the latter I think that is a mistake.
Flag
I love how every one is like oh dam they got to cut it short. Well you know there was this little thing called the 26 episode season, remember those days. Not these aborted 10 episode bastards. Hell most shows at least go to 13. I am so surprised no one has mentioned this. It is not like tuns of people are not tuning into this. These "seasons" are ridiculously short!
Flag
The short seasons are due to the unusually larger budget that this series has, It costs HBO on average between 6-10 Million Dollars to produce each episode, which is about 3 time more than most other cable network shows. GRRM himself has even stressed that he would prefer 13 episode runs, so that they don't cut out scenes with add depth to the show, but that would only mean that he would have even less time to finish writing his books.
Flag
No, the shortened seasons are due to the showrunners not being physically capable of producing any more episodes in a 12 month period. All the episodes have to be written before they're all shot simultaneously, not to mention the many shooting locations, costumes, etc that are so time consuming.
Flag
I believe it is a combination of both points made, since if they had the funding they would be able to afford to shoot the season in a larger period, Not just 6 weeks.
Flag
Sorry I ment to say 16-24 weeks for filming. There hasn't been a single season where it has taken them longer than that to film (Look it up )(http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Production_timeline). From what His interview suggests, that he was there for seven months directing the episodes, Directing and filming are 2 completely different things, since he (unlike all the other cast and crew members) would have had to have gone to the locations for both pre and post production.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I don't know where you got 6 weeks from, this interview with Alex Graves suggests each season takes up to 7 months or more to shoot. There really is no more time available.
Flag
That's disappointing but understandable. Bran's storyline is ahead of the other characters and it also provides a view of things not yet touched upon by the show.
Flag
Thank the old Gods!
Flag
Good, Bran's story was a waste of time last season. They could have used the time on more interesting characters while still getting him to where he needed to be.
Flag
I agree they didn't do a good job on Bran's storyline last season. They left out all the good parts of his journey beyond the wall and created the storyline about Crasters keep which never happened in the book.

However Bran's storyline is incredibly important. In the book his storyline is all about magic, children of the forest and white walkers. Unfortunately the show left most of that out maybe due to cost which has made his storyline boring. There is a little bit in the last book not shown yet in the show and its makes it obvious that Bran is incredible important and will provide useful information and help.
Flag
Let me put it this way: when all is said and done, Bran's storyline is more important than Jon's & Arya's combined.

He's more important than whoever sits in the Iron Throne or whoever is married into it. Bran is more important than Melisandre or Jaqen, he's more important than anything.

And the author hid his outmost important journey, just like the TV show is about to do.
Flag
I agree. I said Bran's important. I think you replied to the wrong comment. Anyway I completely agree with everything you said.
Flag
What Bran looks like really isn't going to matter
Flag
To my understanding it was only Hodor that was taking a break this year. I'm not mad at this at all, as much as I like Bran I would rather have a season without him than a season of him just sitting down, or only appearing in one episode.
Flag
I came back here for the "Hodor." 10 comments in and no Hodor. Hodor.
Flag
HODOR!!!!!!!!!
Flag
OK, this is the final drop. Now I will truly stop watching this terrible excuse for a show. Bran was the only reason I kept watching GoT.

...oh yeah, f-ing dragons!! Aaaand I'm back in the game. I will watch anything with dragons in it. I will even watch My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, because they are kind of dragony creatures.
Flag
Who knew that whole fiasco with Jojen Reed was leading up to NOTHING?!!
Yet another bait n switch... or should I say bait n wait?
Flag
No!!!

I was really hoping we'd get to see Bran's "jedi" training with the three eyed raven. Now, he'll go from baby warg to master-at-all offscreen!
Flag
All over again!
Flag
As long as they're the only ones taking a break I'm okay with it, their story is pretty much where it is in the books, they could fit what's happened to them since in like one ten minutes of footage so it makes sense. If it means more screen time for other characters then I'm okay with it.
Flag
Hell yeah. Enough time for sleeping in the grave.
Flag
I hate Bran. I wish it were really true that no character was safe and he could die.
Flag
I am not too concerned, the next season should be an introduction to a lot of new characters. Bran is one of the key characters to the end of all of this. So he shall be back. I do hope that they just don't jump into him and all of his new skills and they show a bit of the interesting things. Perhaps this is a good thing. I hope next season is heavily focused on further Arya' storyline and not just wandering all over Westeros with the Hound and basically not do anything for a season. Her next plot arc is really interesting. Also, they have to introduce a lot of new characters and that should be fun as well.

But it really needs to be better than last season. For such a small amount of episodes there was an awful lot of wasted space and I hope they get away from the; nothing nothing nothing, shocking moment, nothing nothing nothing, shocking moment kind of story telling that they have seem to sunk into. I think it really does a disservice to the story.
Flag
If this is true, it'll be a bummer seeing as I really want to see more of the Children of the Forest and the Three-Eyed Raven.
Flag
Bran WILL BE in Season 5
http://collider.com/the-boxtrolls-interview-isaac-hempstead-wright-elle-fanning/

"Isaac, are you excited for what is coming up on Game of Thrones?
HEMPSTEAD-WRIGHT: Yeah. There’s certainly some more action stuff, rather than sitting down in various forests, all over Westeros. "
Flag
He doesn't say he'll be doing the action stuff, or that it'll be this year.
Flag
In fact, he specifically says "THEY'RE actually filming, at the moment", which implies that he's not a part of it.

Plus, given where he is, it's unlikely that he'd be seeing much action for a while at least.
Flag
Bran can see a lot of action from where he is. If you don't why, read the books.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    The Bachelorette
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Mistresses Blurred Lines
    NEW
    ABC