A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

Apparently HBO likes Game of Thrones. After the series' Season 4 premiere set a ratings record on Sunday and became the most-watched episode of an HBO program since the series finale of The Sopranos, the network said, "Yeah, we'll take some more of this," and has renewed Game of Thrones for two more seasons. That will bring Game of Thrones through Season 6 and ensure that we'll be visiting Westeros until at least 2016. Whether any current characters will still be alive by then is a different story.

Now that Seasons 5 and 6 are officially happening, and given the show's targeted seven-season run (which has yet to be confirmed by HBO), we could be approaching a situation where the series is forced to move beyond the books. Season 4 is supposed to encompass the remainder of A Storm of Swords (Book 3) as well as parts of A Feast for Crows (Book 4) and A Dance With Dragons (Book 5), and The Winds of Winter (Book 6) and A Dream of Spring (Book 7) haven't been published yet. However, author George R.R. Martin has already revealed the story's ending to Game of Thrones executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, to allow them to continue working on the series independently of Martin's sluggish writing tendencies. 

The greenlighting of a pair of seasons also gives Benioff and Weiss the option of filming both seasons simultaneously, which is becoming more and more important with actor Isaac Hempstead-Wright, who plays Bran, growing like bamboo and aging faster than the child he portrays. Ditto for Maisie Williams, who plays Arya, and maybe even the actors who play Rickon Stark and Tommen Baratheon if they ever become important characters. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/26/2016

Season 6 : Episode 10

106 Comments
Comments (106)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I can't remember HBO every renewing one show for 2 seasons at the same time, maybe this is HBO's way of telling George R.R. Martin to better start writing and complete that last two books! BTW the show everything is awesome about it is great!
Flag
Relax, Martin will get TWOW out in time. He has 2 yrs to complete it, 3 yrs if the bloated beasts that are Feast/Dance are stretched to 2 seasons (I'm being optimistic). He has no chance with the final installment however. Zero.

HBO will end the show after TWOW, and the final book will be turned into a movie, as per Martin.
Flag
I sincerely hope Martin manages to get the books out before the show catches up...
Flag
i thought it was supposed end after season 7 what happened
Flag
LOL it will be ironic if the show ends before the books.
Flag
I'm sooo surprised .... It was obvious ! And by the way, only the last 2 books haven't been published yet (you're a little unclear in your phrase there) ...
Flag
They already incorporated events in a Dance with Dragons (which I haven't read yet) into last season which ticked me off because I'm only up to Feast of Crows in my reading.
Flag
Hey, don't be ticked off with the show just because you haven't read ADwD. It's been out for 3 years now, so you can't expect the show to display a spoiler alert.
Flag
What part of DwD did they include in last season?
Flag
Theon' s "storyline". I would prefer them to leave Theon out of the picture for two seasons and then have the big reveal that he was a prisoner this whole time at the hands of Ramsay, than to have him tortured for 10 episodes with no end whatsoever.
Flag
Fans of the tv series will really be upset next year if they follow Feast of Crows with so many of the regular characters not in the book. I wonder what HBO will do. How will fans react. Tyrion and Daenarys are so popular.
Flag
Yeah, they're just going to keep all the characters and do it chronologically. It's not even a hard decision, it's the only one that makes sense.
Flag
Regarding the poll: I don't know anyone who is afraid they'll die before Book 7 arrives. I know quite a few, however, who are afraid GRRM will pull a Robert Jordan and die himself before completing his work.
Flag
Wheel of Time benefited from Sanderson taking over. Maybe Martin should let Sanderson finish GoT.
Flag

Flag
Gee I thought it would be cancelled...
Flag
"Targeted seven-season run"...

I still don't understand how they plan to fit it into seven seasons, when there will be seven books, and they turned book 3 into two seasons. Mathematically, how does that work?

I mean, sure, books 4 and 5 are a little sluggish (especially compared to book 3), but the whole reason it was written as two books was that, if it were one, it would have been an unpublishable length. So they should be able to easily squeeze two seasons out of those two books, especially if they keep adding those strange exposition scenes.

So even just given what's been published so far, that's 6 seasons... and there are still two more books. For all we know, each of those books could be as plot-heavy as ASOS was, requiring two seasons each. Not because they're trying to stretch it out, but because that's the shortest they can get it, and still tell the story.
Flag
theres gonna be a trinity.
Flag
You know whats funny, people talk about "sluggish writing tendencies" from Martin but this guy has created one of the greatest stories ever. His writing is a product of his "sluggish writing tendencies". His books are good because he doesn't rush through it and fact checks and reviews and it is all done on his own. He doesn't have a group of people writing for him and he writes at his own pace. Writing is not easy and when you have an idea sometimes it runs in directions you didn't think of when you started. This story started out as a trilogy and he will go on to 10 books if he feels he needs to and I think HBO should respect his wishes whether he wants to pause or move sideways to let him finish and the actors age is meaningless because if need be they can change actors or just make him look younger. They can finish a movie when someone dies with other actors, why can't they make these kids look like they are younger. This story will not fall out of favor because of going on too long, it is a show that can go on for 20 seasons if they wanted to expand the world, I don't know what they are afraid of ruining when they say they don't want to go on too long.
More+
Flag
Yep, let the guy write at whatever pace he can/wants. Seriously some people think they're entitled to deadlines just because they buy a bunch of books? Read something else... or write fanfiction... but just chill...
Flag
song of fire and ice.... you know which two will get married and rule Westeros! Yay!!!!
Flag
But there has to be a third. Who is the third?!
Flag
Dude... not a spoiler, but as good a guess as you can take from this whole saga:
They are cousins.
Didn't read any of the book, yet there's absolutely no doubt in my mind about this.
Flag
Yeh but they've been keeping it in the family for a while now...
Flag
She's his aunt.
Flag
"They are cousins"

...And that matters, why?
Flag
Valar Dohaeris. Best news ever!
Flag
Valar Dohaeris (All men must watch). Great news , great series, amazing cast.Seven seasons with the last will be splitted in half 7+7 or 10+a movie for making more money and giving us a great last battle with the dragons and white walkers
Flag
I'm glad that HBO as renew GOT for two more seasons but a episode increase would be nice to at least 13 episodes or 16 like The Walking Dead. As I'm OK with 10 episode but 13 would be better for such an great TV series.
Flag
Ironic yay for the renewal. As for adapting the books, there are some big events at the end of book 3 that absolutely will be used as the climax to Season 3. However characters not involved in those events could conceivably have parts of books 4 & 5 moved forward into this season. Even with that, there is a lot of content in books 4 & 5. Some of it will no doubt be excluded from the show but only some. Even with parts of it moved into Season 3 I don't think there's any way they could cover all of 4 & 5 in Season 5. At best I think they'll cover the majority of it and leave the rest to Season 6. Obviously I can't comment on how many seasons it'll take to adapt book 6 but I don't think 7 seasons is enough, heck I'm not even sure that 7 books will be enough.

If the show catches up to the books I really hope they halt production for 1 or 2 years to let GRRM catch up. The ageing of the actors won't be an issue and most of the high-quality cable shows have taken breaks in recent years. I'm not sure HBO would allow it but I hope they do.
More+
Flag
The problem is, I don't think there's as good a climax in the middle of book 5 as RW in book 3. Book 4 and 5 was a lot of walking and talking and building up to what should be an amazing TWOW, but I can see D&D glossing over a lot of what happened in AFOC and ADWD to keep the pacing of the TV show brisk.
Flag
Good points. GRRM ran out of room and pushed some of the ADWD climax back to TWOW, it would make sense to keep the climax with the build up. Yet AFFC and ADWD are so long, it will be fascinating to see how much of them the show uses. Even if they miss stuff out I think they'll have more than can fit into one season.
Flag
HBO renews GoT for two more seasons... and not a single person in the world is surprised!

now if only George RR Martin would stop worrying about doing episodes and write the book, nobody will have to worry about him dying before he finishes. apparently even he is worried, he supposedly has told HBO plot points so they could finish the show if he does die before the book series is finished.
Flag
Having started with the show then being told repeatedly that the books are 'SO' much better, I'm happy to potentially get one over the bookists by knowing the ending first ;)
Flag
I think the question now is how will D&D adapt books 4 and 5. They could compress it all in season 5, but that would mean that some parts will have to be move to season 6 or maybe they were moved to season 4. They could do it all in one season but I think it would come out a bit rushed. They could also do two seasons for both books and fill in some of the gaps themselves or use early material from the upcoming book 6. That places the adaptation of The Winds of Winter in 2016 or 2017, which by then, Martin will have published the book (hopefully). Now, A Dream of Spring is whole other discussion best saved for later.
Flag
They make a killing on the DVD's, and GOT has too few episodes to become dull. Great news.
Flag
A risky move from HBO. We all know the show will soon start dropping fast in the ratings, basically getting only a few hundred thousand viewers an episode. And just to clarify: ;)
Flag
Well, maybe it also gives them the option of stretching it out a bit.

Yes, the younger actors are getting older as opposed to the amount of aging they do in the books, but the show should be able to deal with that.

I think it would be very strange if the show overtakes the books. Yes GRRM revealed the end he aims for to the producers, but HOW he gets there and how the show gets there, would probably turn out very differently if both start running parallel and only in the end finish up at the same place.

With books 4/5 split not in time but in geography, they do offer the possibility to get more than two seasons out of them in a newly arranged sequence of POV's. So book 6 might make it to market bevor the show reaches that stage. What happens after that, is anybody's guess.
Flag
I'm honestly optimistic that TWOW will be out in time for season 6 (with my earliest guess being Summer to Fall 2015), but it is most likely inevitable that the show will conclude before Dream of Spring is published, and I'm OK with that, Benioff and Weiss have not been perfect, but they have done a pretty good job with lots of the stuff they independently came up with, and while I'm sure the eventual Dream of Spring book will be unique from whatever ends up happening on screen I hope Martin will fill them in with the important details (other than the ending since they already know that) that come between book 7 and the end. Thrilled about a confirmation for at least 20 more episodes, even if it was a given.
Flag
I am as optimistic as you are. No way GRRM is going to be able to finish A Dream of Spring before the show takes him over, but TWOW should be a piece of cake.
Thankfully I watched two seasons of the show before reading the books. It kinda prepared me for the inevitable 'show finishing before the books' deal that's going to go down..

D&D are doing a great job adapting the books but nothing quite compares to the amount of effort Martin puts into his books. The foreshadowing, the prophecies, the subtle hints regarding pretty much everything (Alleras, Pate, 'The Northern conspiracy' and what not). And that makes it pretty awesome to be honest. And let's face it... It's not like D&D are doing Stannis any justice so we'll need George to tell that story.
Flag
Agreed, but I don't think anyone, but George himself could compare to what he does on page, that why I'm hoping George will be humble enough to share with D&D the individual stories of many of the characters, specifically Stannis, but hopefully this season improves on that.
Flag
Eh, even if they film the show faster than the books are released I still expect they will air the show one year at a time. Book 6 will surely be released before the show catches up and I expect the final book would be released somewhat close to the show's version of it even if it's after. I can easily just record the final Season and wait for the book before I watch it.

Of course I have to go live in a shack in the woods to avoid people spoiling it. That's the unfortunate part of when something you like becomes mainstream like this. I can dodge forum posts and reviews for the most part, but recently news headlines don't seem to give an F when it comes to spoiling movies and shows as long as the headline draws in people.
Flag
Shocker! ;) Was there every really a doubt? :) GRRM's "sluggish writing tendencies" are annoying but I'm happy to have GofT any way I can get it. I trust the showrunners and they know the endgame so it's a win! :)
Flag
I was technically a show watcher before a book reader of Game of Thrones, but when I read the books, I fell in love with them more than the show. Because of that, I've always really hoped the books could be finished before the show.

Unfortunately, I'm becoming more and more frustrated with Martin's inability to finish his books, and I'm beginning to become more and more indifferent to whether or not the show or the books get to finish first. I definitely wouldn't want the show to go on hiatus or to stretch itself out unnecessarily just so Martin could finish the books first.
Flag
Given how long it takes to make one season and how they've started splitting each book into two seasons, I think Martin will manage to release the Winds of Winter in time... barely, though, most like :)
Flag
Once they get past what GRRM has written I guess we won't be able to complain about them replacing interesting characters with prostitutes!
Flag
Whoa..they are going to cover books 3-6 this season? That's crazy, they must be planning to keep going past the books then.
Flag
Well it's something more like this season will cover books 3-5, then the next season will cover books 4-5 and then the next season will also cover 4-5. A Storm of Swords is considered one book, but if you take it as books three and four, then they've finished the story of book 3 and are already in book4/later books. As I assume you know, the later books split the storylines completely so some major characters don't even appear in a whole book, so unless they plan on a season Daenerys-less etc, they have to cover parts of several books at once. I'm pretty sure following the seven year plan, there is no way they are going past the books. I don't think that would even be possible even if they were willing to do it.
Flag
Ahh I see where my confusion came from, I thought they were going into book 6 from the way the below sentence was written. There is a ton of material to cover but since so much takes place simultaneously I don't know how they will be able to do it sequentially without cutting out a bunch material.

"Season 4 is supposed to encompass the remainder of A Storm of Swords (Book 3) as well as parts of A Feast for Crows (Book 4) and A Dance With Dragons (Book 5), and The Winds of Winter (Book 6) and A Dream of Spring (Book 7) haven't been published yet."
Flag
Yep poorly written sentence, but he did use an oxford comma so technically Tim is correct
Flag
Yeah, it's not a particularly well-written sentence; that confused me too at first. They're just going to cover some of the material from Books 4 and 5 in Season 4 though - not all of it. I don't think even close to all of it. They're just going to start getting into some of it, is all.
Flag
Season 5 and 6 are going to be about books 4 and 5 as well
Flag
Not the all 3 books. Book 4 and a huge chunk of Book 5 take place at the same time, chronologically. So they are finishing events in Book 3 and starting to go into some events from Books 4 and 5, which you could essentially consider to be one book.
Flag
Yeah, I've read all the books, but it's still a ton of material even if it takes place concurrently.
Flag
They can always delay filming until the books are finished... ;)
Flag
Not when the kids are aging as fast as they are, I mean recasting Daario and the Mountain( 3 times!) is one thing recasting Arya and Bran isn't really an option.
Flag
The ageing isn't so much of an issue. Martin bemoaned having all the kids so young because he wanted them to be able to do grown up stuff later on. That's part of what led to the structural issues for Book 4. I wish they would consider putting the show on hiatus for a year or two but it's not going to happen.
Flag
I would like the books to stay ahead of the show but I wouldn't want the show to go on hiatus to accommodate for that, so failing George releasing wins of winter in time I say go ahead and move past the books, I'll still read the books when they come out to get the smaller details that I love so much.
Flag
The Winds of Winter is coming out in January (he took 3-4 years writting it), as there are still at least 3 more seasons, I'd say that the show will end by the same time Martin will :)
Flag
Where did you get the confirmation on release date?

I think if book 3 part 2 -& book 5 part 2 makes 3 and a half seasons then Winds of Winter would hopefully make one and half seasons, making the need for the last book in 2018......which is going to be close at best. I do hope he finishes it first.
Flag
January might be an overly optimistic estimate, there's a site devoted to speculating about the release of Winds of Winter and the most recent popular opinion over there is that it will come out November or October, of 2015. Of course I would much rather your prediction be right but the further we get into the year without hearing anything the more worried I get.
Flag
Was there ever any doubt about a renewal!
Flag
there is a non-surprise when there ever was one.

Nice to see that such a fantasy series really gets appriciated by such a large amount of people. It beats all those hospitalshows.
Flag
well, how unexpected!
Flag
Jon Snow will still know nothing by the end of Season 6..
Flag
pfft, anyone who has read the books knows Jon Snow will die within two episodes....
Flag
Amateur, REAL book readers know he died in Season 1 and has been a ghost the whole time.
Flag
I see White Walkers... No, seriously.
Flag
Ygritte: "I ain't afraid of no ghost"
Flag

Flag
Follow this Show
Members