We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

SPOILERS. OBVIOUSLY.

• “Where's his wife?” I'm probably reading WAY too much into this, but having Cersei use this word rather than her first name, like she does later on, felt like Sansa finally received an upgrade in the Game of Thrones pecking order i.e. she's no longer Cersei's "little dove". As the wife of the most cunning man in Westeros, something is bound to have rubbed off. Maybe Cersei senses this on some level.
  • Then again maybe not, as finding yourself on a foggy boat with Littlefinger might not be construed as clever. Did Baelish always spoke like that? His accent sounded different to my French ears. Plus, there is a lustful vibe about him whenever he is near Sansa that is getting increasingly creepy.

• Who killed Joffrey? Well, back when I knew nothing (Jon Snow) my money was on the Tyrells. But my theory has evolved now (okay and I stumbled upon some very specific spoilers – honestly, I might as well start reading the books again).
  • It's obvious Littlefinger is involved and that the necklace he breaks played a part in Joffrey's Grand Exit, because, seriously, why give it to Sansa in the first place? The poor girl has so few allies that Ser Dontos really didn't need a story about the last piece of heirloom from House Hollard to gain her trust. She saved his life. He is grateful. That's reason enough. Season 4 Sansa is wayyyy past jewellery. She would follow any guy who's not a Lannister if it got her out of King's Landing at this point.
  • And talking about the necklace in case you missed the blink-and-you'll-miss-it clue in last weeks' episode, here it is again:
Do you see it now?

• Baelish leaving the necklace on Ser Dontos' body, incriminates Sansa even further. This way, she didn't just disappear: the king's fool is going to be found dead with her necklace on his body. Littlefinger is making sure Sansa's bridges are all burnt.
  • “You're safe, with me, sailing home” And where would that be, Petyr? You're not taking her to the pile of rubble that is Winterfell and I doubt you have any intention of taking her to Riverrun either. Which leaves The Eyrie, home of Lysa Tully, the Creepiest Aunt Ever, and her Moon Door mad unweened brat. Oh yeah, oodles of safe for our Sansa in perspective.
  • I was SO sure Margaery was going to kill Joffrey. Ever since her little “Oh well” smirk-shrug when Sansa confessed her betrothed-to-be was a monster, I thought: “she's never going to let him lay a finger on her. No wedding night for you, J-boy!” BUT I was wrong. Margaery had nothing to do with His Psychoness' demise. I realised that last episode - she looked genuinely horrified when her new husband started choking to death.
  • So yeah, in this ep Margaery looked somewhat stricken by Joffrey's death - look she's even holding a tissue, suggesting she's been crying, and her eyes are red. Maybe she had a soft spot for him after all? Or maybe she's such a kind soul she thought not even he deserved to die so horribly (Hell, *I* felt sorry for Joffrey, his death was so graphic, and looked so painful – all I was seeing was the passing of a young boy. Most anticlimactic death ever IMO.)

• I always assumed Margaery was a scheming cold-hearted bitch but it would seem that, pragmatic as she is, underneath it all, she has a heart, for realz? Colour me disappointed.
  • Or maybe she's just bummed people are going to start calling her "The Black Thorn Widow".
  • Now. . . Olenna, that's a different kettle of dove pie. I wonder if this conspiracy to kill Joffrey didn't go back to season 2, when Baelish was sent to negotiate with Renly down in the Stormlands. The Tyrells were there. Seeds of alliances could have been planted back then.Tell me if I'm Reaching (AH, PUN!).
  • We can all agree this was a bad day for Cersei.

• Am I the only one who found Tywin's speech heavy-handed?
  • In the "Little Things That Count" check out how Cersei reaches out for Joffrey's arm as Tywin and Tommen leave the Sept - completely ignoring her. Man, it broke my heart. She lost one son to poison and is losing another to politics.

• Jamie loses it big time. There is no excuse for rape and don't you try selling me this scene as anything else. She said no. She pushed against him. Let's call a spade a spade here. However this meltdown was predictable ever since The Kingslayer lost his hand. I guess the compounded effect of becoming an object of disgust to his One True Love, the realisation that Cersei is manipulating him to get to Tyrion - that she's probably been manipulating him all along - that she is indeed a hateful woman and therefore unable of returning the kind of love he bestowed on her all his life - kind of blew his sanity's bloody doors off. Cersei in that moment became the catalyst for all that is wrong in Jamie's life. Jamie is a warrior, essentially a weapon, when overwhelmed his instinct is going to turn towards violence and agression. He can't kill his sister so he does the next worst thing which is to fuck her. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau called it an act of powerlessness and I think there is some truth in that.
  • I know people are disapointed to see Jamie "go back" to being an unsavoury character. I think, in the grand scheme of things, it makes perfect sense. It's going to take more than a Brienne to redeem him.
  • Where is Brienne? Probably hiding in stables or a weapon smithy somewhere, what with Cersei asking her difficult questions about her feels and Margaery hitting on her at her own wedding I guess she's in 'Avoiding People' mode right now.
  • So nice to see Arya smile.
  • Good to see she also still has a moral compass in spite of everything. The hound is no puppy. I think it needed reminding. Does this herald their parting of ways?
  • Sam and Gilly: it annoys me that so much screen time was spent on this rather uninteresting pairing. I would have much preferred a Sam/Jon or a Sam/Maester Aemon scene. Gilly has got to be the most boring character in Westeros.
  • Davos/Shireen: and here is one pairing that should get more screen time. These two are simply adorable.

• Oberyn Martel is such a wonderful addition to the show. All his scenes are mesmerizing.

• Did Tywin just offered the Mountain's head in exchange for the Prince's help? I guess this is another one of Tywin's pawn that proved to be more of a liability than an asset in the long run.
  • Does Tywin want Tyrion dead or does he simply want a fair trial, hence asking Oberyn, an outsider to help him serve justice? Tywin is no fool, he must know Tyrion is innocent and may just be indulging Cersei by keeping him in prison while the dust settles.
  • Yes Tywin hates his son, but it's an ambiguous kind of hatred. I think there is a part of him that admires Tyrion's intelligence and bravery.
  • Awwww. . .Pod, smuggling food and sundries for Tyrion.
  • Hey, Tyrion got a black cell with a window. I guess this constitutes special treatment. It doesn't extend to indoor lavatory though.
  • Those Wildlings aren't nice people, are they?
  • I'm already bored by the Thenns. Someone tells the writers shaved head psychos haven't been news since Mad Max, neither have cannibals since The Silence of The Lambs.

• And by the way, is cannibalism the new black or something? I mean, Hannibal, the Walking Dead, Game of Thrones – it seems like every show relying on OMG/WTF?!!! values must have its quota of Long Pig munchers these days. What's next Hollywood? Coprophagia?
  • Please make the trip to Craster's Keep short and swiftly dealt with. Another storyline and setting that can do with having less screen time.
  • The view of Meereen had me batting my hands in glee. Such a gorgeous sight. I love the pyramids and the big ass Harpies guarding the enormous gates.

• Dario 2.0 goes Indiana Jones on the lone Meereen fighter and still manages to make it look utterly boring. Twice cast. Twice fail.
  • Someone teaches me to say “Fire!” in high Valyrian. It sounded like “Nemebetas”? Anyhoo, it's this year's “Dracarys”. It gave me happy chills. Emilia Clarke looks so badass when she utters those little words that wield so much power.

• At first I thought Dany was just sending the 163 (?) collars she got from the slave kids who were crucified by the Mereenese on the road. But there were just too many, so I guess these must be all the collars from the slaves she freed. Such a move requires some serious forward military strategic planning. Maybe in this world Daenerys is going to be the one to write “The Art of War” in her old age.

And that's all I gotta say about that.
Comments (50)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I was so disappointed when I saw Baelish. He gave me the creeps in season 3, so I was elated at his departure. His return doesn't bode well for Sansa!

I do hope that Jamie's road to redemption involves helping Sansa... I fear that she's in dire need of a rescue... by anyone!

Flag
I'm an actor and I just want to say that alot of what your reading into just comes down to the skill quality of the actors and coincidence. For example Beailish's accent becoming increasingly creepy as he converses with Sansa, wtf get a grip. And Dany may have sent more than the expected amount of collars only at the producers demands, (more props bigger scene). From my experience a television series isn't supposed to be catered to the audience of only the most insanely observant people. Chill. And keep in mind, episodes are only intended to be watched once.
Flag
Thank you for your input and advice but I think I, along with my fellow fans will continue to watch episodes several times if we feel like it and dissect to death the shows we love. This is what we do here, how we have our fun, why places such as TV Com and countless others exist. Please google the word "fandom", it will explain to you how these things work.
Peace.
Flag
Well 4 seasons in Sansa is still a naive little girl, how her little sister has far outgrown her! I too assumed the Tyrell's were behind this but all roads lead to little finger atm I wonder if he is just a red herring or a pawn to someone far more powerful. Btw does anyone else wish Dany would hurry up and get to Westeros already, 4 seasons of walking around in the desert is getting tiresome. I'm going to miss Joffrey every show needs a character to despise I guess Ramsay Snow will now fill this void. Also A++ to the actor who plays Prince Oberyn he is really captivating and holds his own in the scenes he has with Tywin.
Flag
I respectfully disagree. I think Sansa is a survivor and nowhere near as naive as she was 4 seasons ago. If you google "Sansa Stark" you will find several articles where people explain that, in fact, Sansa may be one of the strongest character in GoT.
Flag
Great screen grab of Dany. I think I just fell in love all over again...
Flag
You're welcome. It took me forever to successfully stop on the frame I wanted to use.
Flag
Efforts appreciated!
Flag
I don't think Margaery was upset because of Joffrey's death - she's no longer the queen since the throne goes to the next in line - Joffrey's brother Tommen. Had she had a little time to get knocked up than she would be with child - carrying the next King. Alas, that didn't happen.
Flag
If anything, I feel about her the same way as Olenna: Margaery did a remarkable work with Joffrey - not to mention, an amazing work with her brother's boyfriend - no husband could ever be as difficult.

She's not cursed, she's amazing.
Flag
I didn't think the dario moment was that boring. It was funny and echoed indiana jones, but the horse flip screamed fake, that was my main disappointment in that scene. Dany was pretty good in this scene, but where the hell did they get the catapults? It didn't look like they had any equipment with them. Maybe defeated some guards and stole it?
littlefinger was his creepiest in this ep and i totally missed that about the necklace to use as evidence sansa had a hand in the assassination. Makes sense now.
jamie raping his sister, i figure it was pent up anger over her denying feelings for him,so as bad as it was, he sorta had reason. And let's face it, he can't be forgiven for pushing bran out of the tower.
agreed, why give sam and gilly so much time? I skipped most of those scenes.
i can't say i was surprised the hound beat up the father. I guess him and arya together wasn't meant to last. That could've been a fun adventure with the two of them.
Flag
Someone suggested the catapults were made out of the wood taken from the 163 wooden crosses where the Mereenese crucified the slave children. Which would be pretty cool in terms of poetic justice.

I hope Arya/The Hound is going to last a little while longer. They're great fun to watch.
Flag
Indeed.
And agreed.
Flag
I enjoyed this review nice touch. Sansa from this point becomes more intriguing as Littlefinger takes her under his wing, however his affections for her are very creepy especially considering how he sees her as a young Catelyn, a woman he has lived his entire life.
Flag
Thank you very much. :) And yes, Baelish sees in Sansa the Catelyn he never got. Damn creepy.
Flag
- Littlefinger's accent may have sounded different because he was whispering on a boat ?
- Burning all Sansa's bridges : good catch, i didn't see that.
- I don't think that Margeary is so much grieving about her husband than alarmed about her pattern of "luck".
- Call me thick, but the rape didn't feel much of a rape to me (and i'm in general VERY upset with these kind of scenes). Not a virginal Dany having marital rape with a total stranger. Cercei protested the LOCATION.
- I agree, shaved head psychos just don't do it for me. Have you tried a mountainous holiday with no hat or hair ?? Ridiculous.
- Dany is an excellent tactician. Not sure she is going to be a brilliant ruler, though.
Flag
Yes, I guess it could have been the whispering.
Good point about Margaery, it's more likely she was simply feeling sorry for herself rather than mourning her sadistic husband.
Yes, she protested the location, but the operative word is "protested" here, ergo it *is* rape. No matter what she was protesting about, she didn't want it to happen at that point in time, and Jamie still went ahead with it. Now, as I said in my review, it made sense something of the sort would happen, considering the place Jamie and Cersei find themselves in the show. Therefore, I am not up in arms about it being used as a plot device. I had WAY more issues with the Daenerys/Drogo storyline.

Agreed. Maybe we should send The Magnar a wooly hat. With a bobble.

Yeah, I have the feelings that once the dust settle, Dany is going to have to deal with the mundane side of ruling such a huge number of people and that's when the shit is going to hit the fan.
Flag
I don't think Cersei protested the location...or did I miss something? I just saw it as Cersei protesting, full stop.
Flag
While she was saying no she was grabbing his face to kiss him and also groping under his coat and grabbing his ass. I think that's why so many people have trouble calling it rape.
Flag
* The Dario-champion fight wasn't supposed to be "exiting". It was supposed to be "matter of fact". Dario is relatively very practical.

* This episode was relatively very boring. The only exiting part was the Danerys stuff. And the only other interesting thing was Tywin explaining what possibly makes a good King.
Flag
You know for a minute I thought I was the only person who didn't really care for this episode. Everyone else is like omg soooo good and I'm like not so much. And I fucking love GoT its my favorite thing but do I dare say this was one of my least fave episode of the whole series. Don't get me wrong there was a handful of good stuff but honesty the majority of it I could skip. Here's hoping to 'Oathkeeper'
Flag
It's the moving around to the various characters so much. There are a lot of characters and storylines and pretty much only the Dany thing currently is actually exciting. Even the Tyrion stuff -- we know he's not going to die and he's already been in such a situation. Tywin started a war against the Starks. Tywin doesn't exactly like Cersei or Joffrey. Tywin wants Jaime to be his heir. Is Tywin actually going to put Tyrion to death? Olyenna seems to like Tyrion and therefore the Tyrells aren't likely to kill Tyrion. And Oberyn Martell just told Tywin that he pretty much only wants to kill who's directly responsible for his sister and her kids's deaths.
Flag
(This is for youcomment below) They needed someone to blame/ pin Joffery's poison on. Those involved are aware of Tyrion's level of intelligence and cleverness so if he is not implicated in any way and potentially a part of the investigation he is more likely than others to discern who's truly responsible. He's just such an easy target. She may like him (I don't think they even cross paths in the books) but that means nothing to her.
Flag
If killing Tyrion results in Margarey being Queen, Olenna would probably support Tyrion being blamed -- especially if Olenna is responsible for poisoning Joffrey. But all things being equal, she wouldn't want Tyrion to die.
Flag
Umm they're more people than just Tywin who are responsible for the war... If you remember Tywin only sent out his men to burn up the Riverlands/lay seige to Riverrun so that the Lannisters didn't look weak after Catelyn Stark arrested and imprisoned Tyrion. Jaime then attacked Ned Stark in the streets of King's Landing and they both ignored royal decrees by Ned. War was imminent but still avoidable at this point until of course Joffrey called for Stark's head and this officially started the war. But if you look back, even to the pilot, seeds of discourse had been planted and I expect this season secrets will be revealed, or at least I'm hoping.

Tywins no fool he knows Tyrion did not do this thing but he can't not do anything so he kind of just goes along with the whole trial thing for Cersei's benefit.

Olenna cares nothing for Tyrion.
Flag
* I said Tywin STARTED the war against the Starks; although, probably Jaime and Cersei or Catelyn could be blamed.

* I said Olenna liked Tyrion. If Tywin isn't going to kill Tyrion, why would Olenna want Tyrion dead?
Flag
Whatever Dany specifically said, you are right, it was this seasons "Dracarys". Add to that the facial expression and you just feel compelled to sink to your knees bevore her.

It is really awsome what they do with that invented language. Sounds very cool and menaceing even when an attractive woman like Emilia Clarke uses it. It gives me chills every time I watch it, even on the 4th or 5th time.
Flag
I completely agree with every point... Great work...
Flag
Hey, great job! Don't listen to Trolls. Yes Littlefinger was extra creepy. *Shivers*
Dany's catapult message was deep, hopefully the slaves pick up on what she was trying to say there. The Wildling/Thenns massacre was not cool. The whole cannibalism deal really really makes my tummy turn. Liked your thoughts on the Sept. Thanks for the read!
Flag
Thank you very much and you're welcome. :)
I l always give people the benefit of the doubt once, then I start ignoring. :)
I don't know if it was the fog or if Varys's words when he described Littlefinger to Olenna slowly made their way inside my Lizard brain, but yeah, that scene *really* creeped me out.
I'm hoping the slaves are going to go all Dothraki on their Masters.
I guess the massacre was a way to show that the Wildlings are not just misunderstood folks who just want a safe place to stay. Killing innocents doesn't seem to faze them much. As you say: not cool.
Flag
Staff
I am super worried about Sansa, want to punch Jaime in the junk, and I have to agree Oberyn is a wonderful addition this season. I disagree about the new Daario, though. I like him much better already. Might be the face, though?
Flag
IKR? And to think I despised Sansa so much back in S1. She's really grown on me, kuddos to Sophie Turner (and the writers) for making Sansa grow as a character in such a way. Littlefinger is getting increasingly creepy and I tend to believe Varys when he says he's one of the most dangerous man in Westeros.

I'll hold Jamie while you punch him. I have ideas about that golden hand of his too while we're at it.

New Dario is an improvement on the previous one - who was way too pretty, but he's still not quite right. He's like a poor man's Bronn. Yeah, Bronn's prettier but much blander brother. Bah, maybe he'll grow on me. :)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Staff
Nice write up! I felt sorta the same way about Littlefinger's accent, but he's always talked like that. It's just been a while since we heard him. Aiden Gillen hammed up that scene deliciously. And yeah, Tywin's speech was heavy handed, but then again he was talking to a boy king and needed to make sure he was pulling the right strings. Anyway, looking forward to more of your pieces here on TV.com!
Flag
Why, thank you very much indeed! Maybe you're right and Baelish always talked like that. Maybe it wasn't so much his accent as the pitch of his voice. I don't know, it sounded lower and more. . . slithery somehow. Anyway, it was great to see Aiden Gillen again.
You have a point regarding Tywin's speech, though I find it hard to believe Tommen wouldn't have been groomed on such matters before. He was after all the next in line to the throne, and Tywin must have known that Joffrey's idiotic behaviour was going to get him killed sooner rather than later.
Flag
i disagree so hard with the most of your points, i dont even know where to start.
maybe you should watch another series?
Flag
Do you see Badforthefish's calm, classy response? Verbally, you have just been thoroughly Cersei'd and Ser Dontos'd.
Flag
*blush* Aw. Thank you. :)
Flag
I'm sorry, I am not following your logic here. I love the show why would I stop watching it? Please let me know when you know where to start, I enjoy a civilised discussion with people who don't share my opinions.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members