A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

Game of Thrones S04E04: "Oathkeeper"

Geez, Game of Thrones! We're a mere three-going-on-four episodes into the season and the Seven Kingdoms are already a chaotic mess. Joffrey is dead, a boy who's not even aware of the Birds and the Bees is king, and everyone and their grandmother is trying to figure out who killed Joffery. But "chaos is a ladder," according to one Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish, and going into Sunday's new episode, "Oathkeeper," the questions is: Who will benefit most from the disorder that's befallen King's Landing? 

Let's run down the power players:

Tywin Lannister: Even though Joffrey is feeding the worms, Tywin's still in control of King's Landing and the Iron Throne. He just has to train a new puppet, young Tommen. It's a mild annoyance, but he could do pretty well with such a malleable placeholder king. I say he's in a better position than he was before (all he has to do is keep Tommen alive).

Cersei Lannister: The former queen/queen regent (haha, sucker) is watching her power fade. She was shoved aside after Robert's death, and now her eldest son Joffrey is dead and all she can do is watch her dad manipulate people and ignore her. The chaos is not serving her well.

Tyrion Lannister: As the prime suspect in Joffrey's murder and the eyes of the Lannisters, he's totally screwed, no two ways about it. Chaos effect = BAD. 

Margaery Tyrell (and House Tyrell): So, she's sort of queen? But not really? Her only way to guarantee ultimate power for Margaery would be for her to marry *gulp* Tommen. That's gross, but Game of Thrones has done plenty grosser. We may be celebrating Joffrey's death, but the Tyrells—who were so close to half-ownership of the Iron Throne—are bummed. 

Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish: Who knows what this old coot is up to, but it sounds like he's got something in the works. And with Sansa Stark in his clutches, he's got an in on the next rung of the chaos ladder. Chaos is good for pencil 'stache. 

Stannis Baratheon: A few weeks ago, the idea of this poor sap still having a shot at the Iron Throne was laughable—but Joffrey's murder was exactly the miracle/Lord of Light voodoo trick he needed. Davos has a plan to help him gather an army, and chaos could actually help his chances of success. Now if only Melisandre could summon some personality for the curmudgeon. 

Dany: Ummm, Dany doesn't even know what's going on in Westeros, because she's too busy playing chain breaker. Neutral. 

Who do YOU think will benefit most from Joffrey's death? Obviously we'll find out more in "Oathkeeper." Here's the official pre-air synopsis: 

Dany balances justice and mercy. Jaime tasks Brienne with his honor. Jon Snow secures volunteers while Bran, Jojen, Meera, and Hodor stumble on shelter. 

And here's the video preview: 

Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 4, "Oathkeeper," airs Sunday, April 27 at 9pm on HBO. I won't have any press screeners from here on out, but I'll post my review of the episode right here as soon as I get a chance to watch it and compile my thoughts. 

Please, no book spoilers in the comments!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/15/2014

Season 4 : Episode 10

112 Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Dateline NBC
    NEW
    NBC
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?