A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

Game of Thrones S04E10: "The Children"

Game of Thrones kicked all kinds of butt in Season 4, so all I wanted from the finale was a non-horrible hour of television, to ensure that the strengths of the season could live on during the cruel dark ages known as "the boring part of the year when Game of Thrones isn't on." Really I was just praying it wouldn't end with Dany crowdsurfing on a bunch of recently freed slaves. 

To my delight, "The Children" was the series' best season finale so far, providing twists and deaths rather than keeping to tradition and mopping up after a huge ninth episode. So much drama, you guys! I wondered how this episode would squeeze in all the stories it needed to cover in just one hour, but not only did "The Children" successfully weave in almost everyone, I felt like it spent a respectful amount of time on the stories that needed it most. The episode never felt rushed, it just felt dense—like a two-week-old loaf of Hot Pie's special direwolf bread. Speaking of which, where was the bread!? I bet Brienne ate it herself.

Take a quick bathroom break and then let's discuss what happened in "The Children." 

"We're not in the Seven Kingdoms and you're not dressed for this weather." —Mance Rayder

After last week's battle at the Wall, I didn't expect Game of Thrones to return to Jon Snow's storyline. It was only the "Next on..." promo that gave it away, and "The Children" opened with Jon Snow waltzing into the wildlings' camp. In fact, Jon walked almost all the way up to the front flap of Mance Rayder's tent without announcing his intentions, and was met with absolutely zero resistance, which makes me wonder if someone called a time out and I didn't hear it. I mean, he got face-to-face with Mance before letting everyone know he was sent to negotiate with the wildlings. Try not letting the enemy walk right up to your leader next time, dummies! Maybe that king of the giants was trying to negotiate when he went into the tunnel at the Wall, and what did the Night's Watch do? KILLED HIM DEAD. Yet Jon walked right up to Mance's place like he owned the joint. 

Anyway. Jon came at Mance with some simple terms: Turn around and run. Mance countered with the fact that he was about to kill all of Jon's men no problem, because the Night's Watch had exhausted all their supplies with the opening slap fight. Point, Mance. Mance did say something to the effect of, "Hey let us through and we won't hurt nobody," because really, everyone—be he a member of the Night's Watch, a wildling, or a mammoth—should be scared of White Walkers the most. Mance just wanted to "hide behind your wall" like Jon and everyone else south of the chunk of ice, because what's coming is a whole lot scarier than a bunch of sexually frustrated teenagers throwing rocks at them from above. 

But Jon and Mance would not come to an agreement, because King Lobsterman, Stannis Baratheon, learned his lesson from Tywin Lannister's book of war and showed up with massive reinforcements at the very end of a fight. YEAH! Go Stannis, go! Stannis didn't do a whole lot this season except take out a loan, but this was a game-changing move on his part. Melisandre saw his future in the flames, and the fire told him to go north where the real war would be waged. Idea: Stannis and Mance form an alliance and kill the White Walkers and then move south and take the Iron Throne. Give Mance and the wildlings the north, and Stannis keeps the throne. Game over! 

Meanwhile, as a postscript to the Jon and Ygritte love story, Jon romantically set her corpse on fire and Tormund told Jon that Ygritte loved him because all she could do was talk about killing him. How lovely! I know we were all rooting for them to grow old together and have a million babies, but c'mon. They wouldn't have lasted the winter. She's too fiery and he's too sensitive. It was a good fling though, like a summer-camp romance. 

"Lady, your stupid dragons torched my baby daughter to death." —One pissed-off Meereenese guy

First of all, does Messandei have to recite Dany's super-long string of titles before each person Dany meets with? Half of those titles are made up. "Unburnt?" "Breaker of Chains?" If you look at my byline, it doesn't say, "Tim Surette, Senior Editor, Guy Who Just Ate a Chocolate Chip Cookie He Found on the Floor." That bench Dany sits on can't be that comfortable, and the more time Messandei spends spouting off titles, the greater the chance that Dany's touchie is going to develop some horrible hemorrhoids. Will Messandei add that to her list of titles? "Daenerys Stormborn, Queen of the Andals, Possessor of Enormous Ass Warts." 

Anyway, the first guy she met with essentially told her he was happy being a slave and asked permission to go back to his old master. These Meereenese are so ungrateful. She said, "Sure," and it was another case of Dany being a pushover to anyone who asked for something. Remember that other guy from an earlier episode who got to take his father down from a sign post because he asked? Dany needs to be firm with these people. Slaves are going back to their masters and those who were punished for being slave masters are shown mercy. She can't seem to stick to a platform. Ruling is hard. If I were her, I'd be like, "I don't even want the Iron Throne anymorethis queen stuff is way too hard." 

Things got even tougher when the next guy showed up. Thankfully, he was spared Dany's incredibly long name, which was probably good because when it came to the "Mother of Dragons" part he probably woulda lost it. This incredibly pathetic man brought in the charred bones of his three-year-old daughter and was all, "Dragons." Apparently Drogon had been flying freely across Slaver's Bay causing mayhem and frying children for fun because that's what unleashed dragons do. He was last seen three days ago. That's entirely irresponsible pet ownership on Dany's part. I get upset with people who let their cats be outdoor cats, but a dragon!?!?!? Don't call yourself a "mother" if you don't know where your "children" are for half a week. 

The knowledge that her dragons were terrorizing the land forced her to lock up the dragons she did keep tabs on, and you were probably all sad about it. "Awwww, those poor cute dragons are being chained up in the catacombs." Well I'm sure that little girl used to be cute, too. That is, before her flesh was melted off her bones by one of those dragons. Chain 'em up I say! Maybe not in the dark catacombs, though, that seems a bit cruel. And yes, how ironic was it that the so-called "breaker of chains" was putting chains on her pets? About as ironic as her letting a slave she freed go back to being a slave. Dany is learning the hard way that you can't make everyone happy. 

"I've been many things. Now I am what you see." —The Old Man in the Tree Roots

Ummm, what the fudge happened here? Remember when Bran would show up on the screen and we'd all collectively groan because his story was the lamest? Not anymore. Let's get straight to it: Bran found the tree! And as he got closer and closer to it, animated skeletons like the ones from Jason and the Argonauts started popping out of the ground and attacking the group. 

WHAT THE!? We're getting to a point in the series that's beyond what I've read in the books, and I don't know if this was in the books or not, but WHAT THE!? This whole sequence was awesome and honestly almost a bit too much for me to handle. It's the most Dungeons & Dragons that Game of Thrones has ever been. Skeletons sprang up from the ground and started attacking! And they weren't crusty old bones with rigid fighting styles, these guys (and/or gals; I didn't get a good look at the pelvic bone) were dodging and weaving like Ali. But obviously the best part was Bran warging into Hodor and wrecking shop. The relationship between Bran and Hodor is fantastic. Hodor is but a gentle soul who wouldn't hurt a churchmouse, but when he gets possessed by a teenage boy full of angst, he's the bringer of death. Wait, I take that back, the best part was Meera fighting. That girl can bring it. 

She was also tough enough to finish off her own brother once she realized he was doomed. Poor Jojen got stabbed in the gut by some bones, so Meera killed him quickly. I mean seriously guys, what was going on in this scene? Jojen died? I was so not ready for that. I was still perplexed over the scary skeletons coming out of the ground. 

But that wasn't even it. This happened:

Now this show is telling me that there are kids who live under trees who can shoot supernatural grenades from their hands? Sure, okay. Now is not the time to start questioning the feasibility of this series. Season 5 could start off with a talking donkey and I'd be on board, because there's no turning back now. 

This little kid was one of "The Children," a race that pre-dates the First Men. It seems like all the cool stuff that happened in this universe happened a long time ago, and that the world got more and more boring with each generation. Game of Thrones used to be about jousting. Now we have some squirt lobbing magic missiles at undead warriors in front of a brilliantly colored tree, while an old man sits in its roots and talks about teaching Bran to fly. I have no idea what's going on here, but I love it.

"There's no safety, you dumb bitch." —The Hound

After watching this episode, most people will be talking about Tyrion's escape and his two stops on the way out, but call me when you discuss this brutal scene with Arya and the Hound. In another encounter that wasn't part of the books, Brienne happened upon Arya, interrupted the Hound's dump (which would make any man very irritable), and then Brienne and the Hound had words and got into the kind of fight that makes you want to jump into your television screen and break things up because both characters are so great, you don't want to see either of them get hurt. 

I'm almost man enough to say that this fight was better than the much-hyped bout between the Mountain and the Viper because if you aren't a moron, you saw this as a knockdown drag-out brawl between two awesome characters you liked. There was no one to root for because that meant you'd have to root against his or her opponent. Every blow that landed—and there were many—vibrated through my body as I begged them to stop. And the evolution of the fight from noble swordplay to nut punches to backhanded smacks to BRIENNE BITING OFF THE HOUND'S EAR only added to my suffering. It was like watching two of your best friends beat each other up. 

Brienne's dirty tactics (this is fact, she fought dirty) earned her the victory, and as the Hound topped over the edge of the ledge my heart stopped. I didn't get mad when Ned Stark died. I didn't get mad when Robb Stark died. But I draw the line at killing off the Hound. Not cool, show! And sure, we don't know whether he's actually dead because Arya just robbed him and walked away, but even he thought he wasn't going to make it and spent several painful minutes asking Arya to kill him. I adore these two together, so of course I got very emotional while the Hound was begging to get the pointy end. For me, this was one of the series' hardest scenes to watch. Now I'm going to hold an unfair grudge against Brienne.

Arya decided she'd be better off on her own than with Brienne, and found a ship headed to Braavos. She gave the captain that coin that Jaqen gave her and muttered that magic words: "Valar Morghulis," and the captain said, "Well why didn't you say so?" and put her up in first class on a one-way trip to Braavos. Arya is going to be one well-traveled girl by the time this is all done. 

"You're a Lannister, you're my son." —Tywin Lannister

Cersei told off her dad and then had sex with Jaime, but I'm going to skip ahead to the end of the events in King's Landing. Jaime stepped up and rescued Tyrion, just another reason that Jaime Lannister is awesome and haters can suck it. On his way out, Tyrion stopped by his dad's room via secret passageway and found Shae lounging about. UGH Shae. There's no telling how long she'd been working with Tywin or if she ever loved Tyrion at all, but my lord, could there be a character who was easier to hate than Shae? She is the absolute worst. I'd rather be stuck on a Greyhound bus with Joffrey as my seat partner. How long has she been sleeping with Tywin? And she had the nerve to pull a knife on Tyrion? She is vile scum, so I was overjoyed when we got this: 

Choked out on Lannister gold! How appropriate for a gold digger like Shae. Good riddance, you lying, cheating, annoying bitch! And how about Tyrion showing zero hesitation in murdering her? This scene made me so happy that I've decided to have it play on a small monitor on my tombstone. "Here lies Tim Surette, he really hated Shae." Thank f'ing god. In some ways I'm sad because I'm going to miss saying, "UGH Shae," but in other ways I'm doing cartwheels, because UGH Shae, right?

Tyrion continued his goodbyes by hunting down his dad, who was in the bathroom, making room for breakfast. For as lavish as the Lannisters live, I'd expect a little more from the Hand of the King's bathroom, but near as I could tell it was just a hole in the ground. Tywin was literally caught with his pants down, and after Tywin tried out every tactic to save himself (flattering Tyrion's bravery, claiming family bonds, threatening him, and then disowning him) Tyrion plugged his dad twice with crossbow bolts. Happy Father's Day! Dying on the toilet is a lousy way to go. So embarrassing! Someone is going to find him like that, you know. Dangly bits just dangling about. The silver lining is that when death forces him to release his bowels, he'll be in the perfect spot. And at least he can say he died on the throne.

Varys helped Tyrion escape in a crate on a ship to the Free Cities, and once he heard the bells alerting everyone that Tywin had been murdered, he figured it was best to join Tyrion because stuff was about to go down. And so we end Season 4 with characters all headed in different directions and new places, and with power and control in limbo. The Lannisters are considerably weakened, Stannis has gained power in the north, Dany has her hands full with dissatisfied citizens and unruly dragons, and Littlefinger is plotting away at the Eyrie. Season 5 can't get here soon enough.  

WEEKLY POWER RANKINGS

Each week, I'll rank the episodes of Season 4 from best to worst. But remember, these are just my opinions! Feel free to post your own in the comments!

This week: An amazing end to an amazing season. "The Children" was the best finale of the series, and Season 4 was easily the best season so far. But I'm still going to say that "The Children" wasn't the best episode of the season, though it's awfully close. 

1. "The Lion and the Rose" (Episode 2)

2. "The Children" (Episode 10)

3. "Mockingbird" (Episode 7)

4. "The Watchers on the Wall" (Episode 9)

5. "The Mountain and the Viper" (Episode 8)

6. "First of His Name" (Episode 5)

7. "Breaker of Chains" (Episode 3)

8. "Oathkeeper" (Episode 4)

9. "Two Swords" (Episode 1)

10. "The Laws of Gods and Men" (Episode 6)

NOTES FROM THE RAVENS

– I have a lot of respect for that one wildling who tried to attack Stannis but was chopped down by that cavalry. He tried.

– Every time I see Melisandre and some version of her theme song plays, I get the chills! In "The Children," Jon saw her across the flames and those eerie four chords began to ring out.

– All you book readers who were upset that Season 4 didn't end like A Storm of Swords did (that epilogue!), please shut up. You did not get ripped off. This is the show. This is not the books.

– The Mountain is alive! Barely. Oberyn nicked him with some powerful poison, and now he's being worked on by an experimental doctor? The doctor warned Cersei that whatever he was doing might "change him somewhat," but we never learned how. What's going on there?

– Now everyone is going to think that Tyrion is even more guilty of poisoning Joffrey. The Lannisters will be on the lookout for him, Sansa, and Varys. Sansa and Varys can blend in with the crowd, but how is Tyrion going to hide?

– Thanks for reading my late-night ramblings, everybody!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/26/2016

Season 6 : Episode 10

714 Comments
Comments (714)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I finally caught up! And just in time. (I replied to the red wedding review a few days back). The way you feel about Shae is the way I felt about Ygritte. Ughhh, she's so annoying. Maybe she was more likeable in the books. I don't know. Glad she's dead. But we can still be friends and I still love your reviews :) lol
Flag
'This incredibly pathetic man brought in the charred bones of his three-year-old daughter' Harsh quote.
That 'incredibly pathetic man' happens to be my nephew who has battled all his life with a rare illness yet rather than sit and feel sorry for himself he used his differences to his advantage.
Your blog should be on the scene itself not your personal opinion of how an actor looks of whom you know nothing about.
He is and always will be my inspiration and would never judge someone he does not know.
That makes him the better man and leaves you as the incredibly pathetic one...
Flag
Brienne beat the hound because

1. The hound had a really bad wound
2. The hound was travel weary and probably didn't have enough food for a long time.
(You could see that these showed, the way he fought)

I never liked Brienne much, but the hound is one of my favs. Hopefully Thoros brings him back. (Cuz thats what I could guess from the books)

I haven't like Dany much since season 3, and a lot of others seem to feel the same.

I, personally, was glad when Ygritte finally died. "You know nothing, Jon Snow" is the most annoying thing in the books.

If someone must be the king (or queen) of the seven kingdoms, I perefer it to be Stannis. I hated him in the TV series, but things really changed around since I started the books. It all started when I knew that HE didnt kill Renly. This is the most touching thing i have read in ANY of these books (Stannis to Davos):

“Renly offered me a peach. At our parley. Mocked me, defied me, threatened me, and offered me a peach. I thought he was drawing a blade and went for mine own. Was that his purpose, to make me show fear? Or was it one of his pointless jests? When he spoke of how sweet the peach was, did his words have some hidden meaning?” The king gave a shake of his head, like a dog shaking a rabbit to snap its neck. “Only Renly could vex me so with a piece of fruit. He brought his doom on himself with his treason, but I did love him, Davos. I know that now. I swear, I will go to my grave thinking of my brother’s peach.”

And as to what you said : 'The mountain is alive!' WHAT DO YOU MEAN WITH THAT EXCLAMATION MARK? Everyone should hate the mountain. He should die over and over and over...

Oberyn Martell did not look like I expected him to looks from the books, but he came out a lot better than what I expected.

The Sansa-Littlefinger-Lysa death seemed a little too short, but it was still pretty good.

But the Tyrion ending was rubbish. The book ending made more sense and was a lot better. Tyrion threatened to kill Tywin for calling TYSHA a 'whore' for a good reason. It was missed in the TV series.

All that said, the whole thing, book, and TV series was awesome and I cant wait for season 5.

More+
Flag
This is actually the best season for me specially when the villain was killed by its own family member. Hooray. Its like sweet revenge at its best.
wedding photographer
Flag
If Arya, Tyrion, and Varys don't end up working with Dany, I'm going to be so disappointed. Just to see Tyrion fly in on a Dragon and melt his sister.
Hopefully Bran will speed through his Jedi training and meet up with Jon at the wall. I see Jon ending up in charge of both the wildlings, and Stannis's men somehow. He is the most like his father, and deserves to be the King in the North. Especially with all the questioning of vows the Black brothers do. That has to be foreshadowing.
Flag
I see Bran as a prodigy, Orell was a grown man and he couldn't warg into anything other than an eagle.

So far, Bran has warged into Hodor, a tree, his direwolf, his direwolf's brother and a few ravens aside the three eye raven dreams.

And he's only 10.
Flag
So, is Stannis a name that represents Tin, or Stannum? Is Stannis (aka Stannous), a non-corroding metal in the Carbon family, Group 14, (IVa) of the periodic table? Does this mean that Stannis can keep the Iron Born from rusting away as Reek turns into a drooling fool? Or will he, when he sits upon the Iron Throne, if indeed he ever does, keep it from turning to rust in a few hundred years after so many foul bottoms having rested there, albeit temporarily is some cases?

The answers may, or may not. be in Book 6, if and when it is finished. Until then, the Periodic Table mystery continues. Tune in next week when we discover how Queen D. learned to break chains but not how to tame her dragons. Hint, they were not made of school poster paper.

Cheers, From Chef Jeff
Flag
Not so sure that Arya is heading to Braavos. The way that I followed it, she was heading north. She wanted to go north, the captain said he was going to Braavos. Then she produced the coin and he said he would take her.
Flag
Well, he didn't actually say he would take her, but rather "Of course, you shall have a cabin". If that also meant that he would take her north is open for discussion, I guess. I'm not sure that the coin means so much that the captain would actually change his destination away from his home in Braavos just for seeing it?
Flag
Argh argh argh when Brienne and the Hound started arguing didn't you just want to sit everybody down with a cup of camomile tea à la Lilyhammer?

"Whoa, chaps, we seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot. Let's all put down our weapons and I shall explain calmly, nobody has to get hurt, and we'll work out where we go from here. We're totes on the same side."

I mean, I bet Pod even carries emergency camomile in his breast pocket.
Flag
I could picture a lifetime in which The Hound would help Brienne to foster Arya & Podrick before they started trying to kill one another.

It was frustrating because he actually helped Cersei with Joffrey back in the day.
Flag
Totally agree with you on Brienne and The Hound. Why, oh why??
Flag
@Kellenprice97: Stannis was prepared to fight another kind of war, the kind of war Melisandre saw on the flames exactly one season finale ago.

It's not that he came to Jon's recue, he was coming to fight "the darkness" and just happened to find the wildlings in the middle of it.
Flag
I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislikes Daenerys's introductions (and Dany herself, for that matter). No more dragons, no more feigned interest in her storyline. Here's to hoping she dies a crazy death and Jon Snow is Azor Ahai (Rhaegar Targaryen + Lyanna Stark).
Flag
I am 100% with you.
Flag
One thing has been bothering me about the Stanis rescue...

Why was he there? He had ships and sailed to take over the throne. So, why sail to the wrong side of the wall? By all accounts, the wall was impenetrable and the Black Watch sworn to keep invaders out, right?

So, I can only think of 3 explanations and they all make Stanis look stupid:

1) He didn't know where he landed.

2) He assumed his army could breach the wall.

3) He assumed he could talk his way past the black watch.

What kind of strategy is ANY of that???
Flag
Melisandre saw it in the flames. Said the real battle was up North and that is where he would be victorious. That isn't to say he won't go for the iron throne at all, just that his psychic hotline told him to go north first.
Flag
Ser Davos told him to go there because if the wall would fall ther'd be no kingdom to rule!! Iguess because of the white walkers and other ghouls.
Flag
How did Ser Davos know there was a problem at the wall from where they were?
Flag
Shireen was teaching Davos how to read using Stannis old correspondence: the scroll from Maester Aemon - about The White Walkers Lord Commander Mormont fought on the season 2 finale - was read right after the name day of one their bannermen's niece.
Flag
I'm assuming that the old man telling Bran that he will learn to fly, was perhaps a reference to the fact that he could potentially control a dragon.
Flag
I'm thinking the sight of Bran will only grow bigger until he's to see everything at the same time, almost as if he were flying.
Flag
Well maybe the statement was metaphorical and literal.
Flag
Alright!! Epicness everywhere, time to introduce the endgame and see where all this buildup takes us.... oh wait....
Flag
Loved the finale!
So many good stories, so many plots to look forward to in season 5:
What's going to happen to Tyrion and Varys? What's going to happen in King's Landing? What is Arya going to do and will she meet "her" assassin Jaqen H'ghar again? Will we ever see Gendry again? What exactly are Stannis' plans and what is Melissandre's role in them? How mad will the dragons be at their mother for locking them in a dungeon? How much damage will the free one do in between? Is the old man connected to the tree or can he move? Will Sansa fall in love with Littlefinger? (meh, ugh, "puking sounds") When will the White Walkers attack and who exactly are "The Children"? What is their role in this world?
Plan for the empty months until season 5: Watching it all over again and reading the books. This should satisfy my Game of Throne needs.
Flag
I don't know, Arya's scene felt like a prodigy going for college! All by herself!

I can't wait to see what comes next for her.
Flag
i don't know, she made me mad, he would not be dying had it not been to protect her, and she would not kill him,, just took his silver cause dead men don't need silver. You ask me she was being a little bitch.
Flag
That's what the Hound has been teaching Arya for the entire season, there is no justice or honor in this world.
"How many Starks have they got to behead before you figure it out?"
Arya has finally learnt and understands what SHE has to do in order to survive in this world, she left the Hound to die because after all he is on her list and putting him out of his misery would be the merciful way.
Flag
Then again, Arya is more Sandor's than Eddard's at this point...

I think he would be proud if he wasn't in so much pain.
Flag
The poor little Dragons! Locked away forever in a dungeon! khalessei is some mother! Mother of dragons? More like Mother of "You have been bold dragons now go to the dungeon without supper!"
And we all have to admit that Jon Snow may have "known nothing" but he did know how to light a good funeral pyre when it mattered.
And who could blame Tyrion was murdering Shae? Honestly she was caught red handed in daddy's bed so she had to go!
Flag
"I adore these two together, so of course I got very emotional while the Hound was begging to get the pointy end. For me, this was one of the series' hardest scenes to watch. Now I'm going to hold an unfair grudge against Brienne." - What? Judging you so hard right now... Not here for people feeling sorry for him, he was an awful person, just because he treated Sansa ok that one time doesn't mean he's an angel.
I hate that people are hating on Brienne for kicking his ass.

It was about time that Danny would lock up those dragons, she is losing control over them.

Flag
Maybe, but it was very sad, they are her children after all... i would hate to have to do that...and they seemed so hurt, calling after their mommy.....
Flag
@Borgia: makes me wonder how long the Tyrell will keep the take over before the next family takes it away from them
Flag
About the Mountain change, maybe he'll become like Hodor all the brute force but useless.
Flag
Good idea. Maybe Hodor actually is a result of the "doctor's" earlier experiments with this drug?
Flag
I hope he changes just enough to kill the stupid cersei!
Flag
I agree with EVERYTHING said here by the author !!!
:)
Flag
there goes the neighborhood.. I wonder what will happen next for the lanisters.. will the tyrells take over kings landing or will stannis finally beast and sit on the iron throne. Anyways this was a awesome season! Jon snow is my favorite character and they really let him shine this season!
Flag
Stannis shined like a tarnished spoon. Needs Tarn-x.
Flag
What kind of ending was that ? Where were zombie Kate ??????
Flag
You must be looking for the Lost-Walking Dead crossover.
Flag
lol :)
Flag
worst review ever....
Flag
I wasn't upset about the finale because it didn't end like in the book, I was just sad cause I was waiting for this one awesome person, who didn't showed up. And now I have to wait a whole year... :/ Waiting sucks...
Flag
Coldhands? if you are talking about ColdHands aka uncle Stark (my theory), than i think you will have to wait for a while, because they cut him out of the story to add a bunch of hollywoody type shit
Flag
Nope, I was talking about this one person EVERYONE (well, at least me) was dying to see. :) You know... Let's just call her Mrs S. #OrphanBlackPun
Flag
Ohh too soon, i think that will be reserved for the next season ending as opposite to the main death ending season, it will be something like Holly Shit they resurrected her, and then a Frey dangles in the background from a nose
Flag
I'm leaning towards Bran may be just as important as Daenerys and Melisandre. Who knew!

Might be ironic if the purpose of the Starks was to produce a Bran to fight the winter that was coming all along.
Flag
Don't forget The Talgaryen Stark Mix up that is Jon Snow, i can't wait to see Snow a top of a dragon with his wolf by his side
Flag
Beacuse of book spoilers, I can't tell you the reason why I think Jon is not trascendental out of the Night's Watch, but I wouldn't be surprised if his whole purpose was to shield the realms of men so Bran would do what he has to do.

Same as Robb whole purpose seemed to be to keep Bran safe between the moment their parents left Winterfell until Osha took him & Rickon out of Winterfell.
Flag
Let's speak a little codded so we do not spoil. BTW that quip about Snow is just one of my theories, but i don't think he will be tied to the night watch much longer, i think when mellisandre comes into play at the beginning of book 6, and "helps him along with a prayor" he will be able to shed his wows (since they ended) and he is clearly a Talgarian mom Lylyana Stark dad Prince Reghar, so he has dragon blood which Bran does not have, so for sure he will get a dragon since they are 3 dragons and 3 people left with dragon blood.
Flag
Of course it does once Melisandre does her thing with him, he has fulfilled the wows and is no longer tied to the night watch, and is the oldest true born Stark out there! So watch my words if by book 7 Jon does not get one dragon i will eat the book
Flag
For spoiler reasons, I can only say the end of the books doesn't leave much room for Jon outside of the Night's Watch.

Not to mention, Dany's remaining dragons already have intendeds and none of them is Jon (in fact, they are pretty much the opposite of Jon).
Flag
Great finale. Hound is dead!
I'm leaning towards "Who needs Brann's storyline?" Some ridiculous skeletons, old man sitting in roots. WTF? Smells like "Lords of the ring". I don't like that direction.
Hound is dead. And Im glad, coz he was a walking cliche. Arya's behaving calmly and mysteriously in front of the dying Hound was great scene. Arya is already like japanese samurai or ninja, no emotions or useless pity, just clarity. Hound killed her friends, so why should she feel sorry for him or even cry about his demise?
Also I disagree that only Brienne was fighting dirty. It was Hound who started dirty fight so Brienne hit back. That's all. Or Tim Surette got blind all of a sudden? I guess Brienne had more in her to kill Hound. Hound was just an old furniture.
And Tim Surette needs to calm down a bit with his hatred of a fictional character. What did all that "Shae, die bitch, die" tirade mean? That was crazy. It just an effing TV character with murky storyline and unexplained motivations (once we see Shae's making all right decisions, then she's making 180, and we hear no explanations). Surette, calm down.
I think killing Shae was a bit too much. And it's obviously not a scene to cheer for. I can't see how Tyrion would kill Shae just becoz of her betrayal. It's a stretch.
And I don't see how anyone can cheer for daddy's boy Jaime? He's complete loser, who gained sympathy for his dwarf brother after he got his hand chopped off. Also he's a rapist. And pervert. If Jaime is evolving in direction of good then why he didn't apologize to Cersei? I feel more sympathy for Cersei even if she's getting more evil.
More+
Flag
Bran's storyline seems to be the vehicle that connects modern Westeros to its ancient past, with the old gods, and children of the forest and whatnot. There's a whole branch of GOT mythology thats been practically untouched.
Flag
I don't know. I think im losing interest in Got universe. It's so slow developing it's ridiculous. Again, we saw Dany's sitting whole season in one place. Doing nothing (It was important but it wasn't important to whole storyline of GoT). They're wasting a lot of time on things like Hound and Arya's trip (whole season we saw them walking around). I understand people were traveling by feet and it was long distance but showrunners should come up with better ideas how to accelerate storylines without losing plausibility.
Flag
I agree 100%. I don't think a tv series was the best way to bring the books to life because of financial constraints and time constraints. There are so many episodes focused on the mundane because its all they can afford at times. 430 million dollars was thrown into production of LOTR trilogy, but about 60 million is put into a season of GOT, yet its10 hours long. LOTR lacked for nothing, but GOT cuts corners whenever possible, even to the point of source material omission or rewriting.

I love the shows highpoints, I just think its shoulda been a movie franchise.
Flag
Lots of people claim its better this way but it hasnt been done any other way so what is that comparison based upon. People say they wouldnt have watched a movie but i bet all those people watched lord of the rings trilogy.

there's no show with a limited budget that wouldnt benefit from a larger one. they wouldnt have to drop anything because they could keep making sequels that people would pay to see. how many xmen and harry potter movies has there been? there's no two hour time limit on movie length, so that is simply preposterous. Its a great show but it would make a greater movie.
Flag
A GOT movie adaptation wouldn't work either, they'd have to drop even more content from the books to fit everything into a 2 hour movie even if they went down the path of the Potter series of 1 book - 1 movie. I do agree things do tend to move rather slowly especially Dany's story arc which has really stagnated this season, but hey if your after instant gratification and explosions every 30 seconds go watch a Michael Bay production
Flag
I for one am glad they did it this way. It will go to a much larger crowd because the characters are interesting. I would have never watched a movie, especially if i knew i would have to wait for two or more movies to come out, i would have just let it alone. I think that GRRM was brilliant in doing it the way that he did. Money for the series, and a boatload more book sales from people like me who want to read the books AFTER the show is done.
Flag
One of the best lines that came from the books was when Tyrion plugged Tywin with an arrow and as he was dying he vacated his bowels to Tyrion's disgust to say 'so it's not true that the Lannister's don't shit gold'
Flag
Damn, man is truly nothing lol. For all the power he weld, the great Tywin lannister died...sitting on a toilet.
Flag
Well, he was on a throne, it may not have been the throne, but it was throne and that counts for something...I guess
Flag
Hands down the most exciting season finale Game of Thrones has offered to date. There was no calming down after the storm, considering that the penultimate episode wasn't all that ground-breaking for once. And it was so much more than just setting things up for what is to come next season. All this made for a refreshing change of what everyone started viewing as a predictable format, and - along with a runtime of slightly over 60 minutes (which in some small way made up for a disappointing length of many episodes in season 4) - made me quite happy.

While it was very satisfying to watch as the dwarven assassin that Tyrion had suddenly morphed into found his way into Tywin's bedchambers and the other... chamber in order to exact his surprising revenge, I also had to suspend my disbelief in the process. No guards, no mention of what happened to the guards, eerily silent, empty halls, nobody reacting to any noise whatsoever. I heard that it was handled in a much more organic way in the literary source. Still, a satisfying - if shameful - end to Tywin and a fair enough end to Shae. King's Landing is not going to be the same without three of its key players abandoning the premises. I wonder if Jaime is going to stick around for long.

The Hound and Brienne going against each other in the most brutal way imaginable was really difficult to watch and even harder to accept. I just kept hoping they would come to their senses, but no... Brienne had to be so extremely thick-headed and Clegane had to be too damn stubborn to give in to any reasoning. Such a senseless waste if it's really the end of him. I certainly didn't expect Arya to become this cold. I guess she'd learned her grim lessons well, but I still naively believed that she might use some of that gold to send someone to check on poor Sandor. Ah well, at least she is finally going to Braavos.

I liked that this episode spent a little time on Wildlings' reasoning behind their invasion, and showed that Mance is an honorable man. It's about survival, they are no more right or evil than the people living behind The Wall. Jon Snow certainly didn't have much of a smart plan when it comes to his supposed assassination attempt, but besides that, I enjoyed Kit Harrington's portrayal of the character this season.
Stannis coming to the rescue... who would've thought. That was a bit too sudden for my taste, but he does get bonus points for rising above petty Iron Throne squabbles.

Bran finally arriving at his destination... sadly by losing Jojen in the process. These undead skeletons were so unexpected and so much high fantasy as if they were transported straight from another universe. Was that in the books? I did love how they suddenly became unanimated upon entering the cave, though. The little girl (ancient creepy being posing as a little girl) made me poner whether these were actual magical mini-fireballs or just some alchemical concoctions. And I won't even begin to try to unravel the mystery behind the three-eyed raven/old man/whoever the hell he is. The most curious plot.

A great sendoff to a very strong season, with only a few low points here and there (like the direction of episode 8). Possibly GoT's strongest so far, even though it's hard to judge when it's all still so fresh in one's mind. I just know one thing: waiting until the spring comes along is going to take an eternity.

More+
Flag
To answer your question, yes, the Brand stuff was all in the book A Dance With Dragons.
Flag
I can see where some would take your rendition of the magic missle hand grenade throwing squirt and use it as a reason why they didn't like where things are going...whatever was going on was certainly heavy on questions but didn't really tell us jack squat, did Bran find God or something? Well I guess we have to wait now. I can see someone saying all that and saying "but his series USED to be about Jousting, aw man." :P . Still with more context, whatever the heck is going on there probably is pretty awesome, just wish we finally got some answers rather than just visual satisfaction (no, vague tree man being the three eyed raven answers nothing, and this isn't Lost :P ) .

Anyway, with that being said, one of my favorite parts about this show was how, even at the absolute beginning, I knew it was fast going to go from "The Tudors" to "D&Dholywtfbbqgiantsdragons". So as the show continues to get more chaotic and insane from where we were in the first season, the more happy I get. We offed TWO giants this season, whereas in the first season the mere idea of dragons still being alive was heresay. I like how it does feel like all the cool magic stuff that happened happened long ago, and now Westeros is boring...well...was...until one or two people decided to shake up the entire Westero-globe and white walkers, giants and dragons decided it was time to shake things up aka: Welcome to Game of Thrones.
More+
Flag
"I get upset with people who let their cats be outdoor cats, but a dragon!?!?!? Don't call yourself a "mother" if you don't know where your "children" are for half a week." "Now is not the time to start questioning the feasibility of this series. Season 5 could start off with a talking donkey and I'd be on board, because there's no turning back now." Tim, I can always count on you to make me laugh with your reviews. Also, agreed on all counts.

I have to say I'm not mad that it ended differently than A Storm of Swords. I think that this has definitely been the season for straying from the books and I'm expecting it now and so long as it's done in a manner that makes sense I'm on board. Bring on season 5 (I like, you know, the better part of a year... UGH).

Flag
Valar Hodoris - all I have to say about this magnificent finale!
Flag
All Men Must "Hodor"?
Flag
Yesss!!
Flag
Just want to address some of the complaints I've read on here.

1) They omitted the part where Tyrion finds out about Tysha!
Umm, who's Tysha? That's probably how every TV viewer who's never read the books would've reacted. Yes, she was mentioned in season 1 but most people probably wouldn't remember that.

2) Without the Tysha thing, Tyrion doesn't have a good enough reason to kill Tywin!
Tywin was going to let Tyrion hang for a crime they both know he did not commit. That's not a good enough reason?

3) Why not go after Cersei? It was all her doing!
Tywin held all the strings. He was the real power behind everything. He could've prevented the trial and made Cersei STFU if he wanted to. Also, Cersei really believed Tyrion killed Joffrey so it's somewhat "understandable" for her as a grieving mother to seek justice. Tywin, on the other hand, KNEW that Tyrion was innocent.

4) They didn't explain why Shae did what she did!
I have to agree with this. I would've loved to get some sort of explanation. They made it seem like she was a good person and then it's like she did a complete 180. It's a bit baffling. Was she fooling Tyrion the whole time? Why even pretend to care about Sansa then? Why refuse the money Varys offered her? What is her motivation? Revenge? Wealth? Survival? Plain old pettiness? Oh, well. They may still explain this in the next season.

5) If they insist on changing things anyway, why not just change things like Ned or Robb or Catelyn dying?
Seriously? I will just say this, why not enjoy and appreciate the books for what they are and do the same for the show? It's two different interpretations of the same story. The details may change here and there but the story stays the same. For example, whether it was Tysha or the trial that pushed Tyrion over the edge, it all boils down to the same thing - Tyrion had had enough of Tywin's manipulation and cruelty. It doesn't make sense to argue about which is the better reason to kill Tywin because I don't think it's just ONE thing that led Tyrion to that point, it's ALL of those things, it's EVERYTHING that Tywin ever put him through. For me though, the trial makes more sense as the "final straw" because it threatened Tyrion's life. Even though Jamie helped him escape, he probably realized that he will have to live as a criminal/fugitive and his life as he knew it was over, all thanks to his father. And for what? Punishment for being born the way he was. If that's not enough to push anyone over the edge, I don't know what is.
More+
Flag
Regarding 2-3 do you really think Tywin could have stopped the trial? The (former) queen regent is convinced her brother killed the King, Sansa's absence serves to incriminate him and didn't take them long to find out where the poison came from. Do you really think that given all that Tywin could have said sorry folks no trial here? Littlefinger and Cersei's (separate) machinations really forced his hand. And once Tyrion was on trial Cersei used all her influence to ensure Tyrion would be found guilty. There were no witnesses in his defence and the evidence against him was damning. Even with all his power Tywin could never have found him not guilty, the Westerosi justice system, like its mediaevel inspirations, was not as fair-minded as most of us have today. Tywin really did everything he could when he offered Tyrion the black (although that offer was not selfless). Tyrion chose to reject that offer and leave his fate to the Gods instead. And Tywin may still have found a way to let Tyrion take the black. So to say that Tywin had no issue letting Tyrion hang is unfair. Plus how do you know that Tywin knew that Tyrion was innocent, that's just conjecture on your part. Just because Jaime believed Tyrion doesn't mean that Tywin did also.

Tywin didn't instigate the trial, Tywin didn't coerce any witnesses, Tywin went out of his way to save Tyrion's life, all of which Tyrion was aware and killing him with no further provocation made him seem like a psychopath. Here's a question, how do you think Tyrion and Tywin would have interacted had Tyrion won the trial? All of the things you claim would be no less applicable if Tyrion had been vindicated by the Gods, would you expect Tyrion to still kill Tywin because he hypothetically would have let Tyrion be innocently hanged had he lost the trial? I suspect in that situation even you would see Tyrion in a negative light.
More +
Flag
Once again, Tyrion used Joffrey's weapon of choice against the very man that blame him for Joffrey's murder by choice.

In my mind, there's no bigger poetic justice.
Flag
They described her back in season 1 or 2. Tyrion was talking to someone, perhaps Shae, and describing that whole event in his life.

I think either she or the event were brought up once or twice since... but not recently if at all.

So yeh... without more recent mentions the average TV viewer might have wondered W T H Tyrion was talking about. The writers probably realized "oops, we haven't mentioned her in a couple years, nobody will know who the eff she is, let's ignore her"
Flag
Re: 4) I always thought that they did make some effort to explain Shae's motivations. But perhaps it wasn't clear enough for the majority. In short: jealousy. She convinced herself that Tyrion truly preferred Sansa and that he really wanted to get rid off her, a lowly whore, so she wouldn't stand in the way. Once "rejected", she turned vengeful mode full on. And then it obviously didn't hurt that Cersei/Tywin were there to help elevate her above her current standing if she did what was asked of her.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Great finale ,filled with a lot of game changing events that will make the next season awesome.
The Lannisters were dealt a crushing blow because Tywin was the glue that held them together .
Suddenly Stannis Baratheon is the one to bet on ,what a turn of events after his humiliating defeat ,But where did he come from? he and his army were out behind the wall !!!!!!!
I hope we didn't see the last of the Hound, and he was right where Brienne was going to take Arya? , to Jaimee ,Is she nuts ? Like she will be safe anywhere near Cersei who seek revenge for her son.
And finally Arya is on her way to become a skillful assassin as anticepated long time ago .Does that mean we will see a new actress playing the role later in season 5 ,as we saw how Jaqen changed his appearance completely
Melisandre had her eyes on Jon, that can't be good .
Flag
I thought Daenerys imprisoning her children, the dragons, was insanely heartbreaking. This was the best finale of GOT! I just have one question where the fuck were the 1,00,000 (alright 99435.59127) wildlings and the giants when it actually mattered? They wasted time on stupid and kinda boring fights for the entirety of episode 9 and just skimmed over the defining battle with barely a fight from the wildlings? That truly was moronic.

Flag
People will please stop biting the Hound? This is GoT not TWD.
Flag
I've just realised that the only ones left on the small council is Cersei, Pycelle and Old Tyrell. Lol, Tommen, you're f*cked!
Flag
Don't forget Jaime.
Flag
Tommen can always have his father, the Lord Commander is supposed to sit on the Small Council, even if Ser Barristan wasn't allowed.

It's the only reason I assumed Cersei seduced him all over again, she need him on her side in the Small Council.
Flag
"I get upset with people who let their cats be outdoor cats, but a dragon!?!?!?" -This line made me burst out laughing.
I was upset that they tried to make the tree outside the Three Eyed Ravens cave "cooler" than the books. The wights (zombie skeleton things) in the books are much slower, stronger and tougher than they are in the show, and the Child of the Forest just has a torch, not some awesome exploding bubble things. It's a creepy, dread and horror filled scene in the books, instead of a pulse pounding action sequence, which was much more interesting. Although they already cut most of the story of Bran's trip to the cave anyway, so this was not the biggest disappointment, which was missing Jaime telling Tyrion about something that happened when they were young (I won't detail it in case it comes in later) and then Tyrion falsely confessing that he did kill Joffrey to hurt Jaime. I'm also not thrilled by how much more they have advanced some story lines than others, I think this means they are going to have to cut a ton more great stuff from the books to keeps things on track.
More+
Flag
Another great final. I think last two episode where the best so far
Flag
I bet they're going to regret using up all that wildfire. That's what I first figured the kid by the tree was throwing. But it's hard to tell.

I guess those zombies/skeletons had nothing better to do but to lie around under the snow waiting for someone to come by.

Flag
It wouldnt have been much of a quest with little to no adversity. That little ambush was pretty expensive, but it mustve been cheaper than Coldhands.
Flag
BRIENNE fighting like a dirty little She Cat against the Hound was awesome! And kinda fitting except the Hound was yet another one of my favorite characters to get the chop! I am getting a bit pissed off with this reoccurring theme. "Chris likes a character, then they are promptly killed off!' But overall the season finale was brilliant and unlike last seasons mop up job after the red wedding, this finale had loads of twists and turns! Tyrion getting revenge on Daddy and his ex (better not say the W word) was a definite plus for me and Winter is "still" coming!!

Flag
They both fought dirty: he didn't kick her in her lady parts for nothing, not to mention he grabbed her sword after she bit his ear.

It's exactly the kind of things Bronn was trying to teach Jaime.
Flag
Kicking her in the Lady parts was terrible ungentlemanly of the Hound! lol
Flag
True, I get that "He's no Ser" and all but it was too much.
Flag
No such thing as "Fighting Dirty" when you are in a life or death situation. You use any and all tactics to win. Or you die.
Flag
As the Mountain did!
Flag
I just want to say props to whoever was in charge of sound design for the dragons. When they realised she was leaving them and started crying, that actually hurt. The sounds they were making was both unique and fairly organic, not to mention heartbreaking. I'm a sucker for animals, so even pretend cgi dragons in pain make me sad :(
Flag
They crying is so humane, I kept thinking about the first time they stole them as babies when they were chained.
Flag
WOW!!!!
Totally EPIC episode - I was constantly "OMG WTF". I cannot believe how long we have to wait for the next season.
Though I do have one question and I have asked it before - What on earth has happened to the youngest Start boy (Rickon?) - I mean we have not seen him the entire season - and surely he made it to castle black a lonnnnng time ago????
Flag
Rickon was never going to Castle Black, he went to find The Last Hearth which is the castle/town of House Umber (a loyal Stark Bannerman), the GreatJon Umber was the big guy helping Robb.

I don't think we will hear from him for quite a while, he hasn't reappeared as yet in the books, I won't say more although there is a slight addition if you are interested: whilst no one has seen him there is one character we know is actively searching for him in the later books
Flag
That's a pretty tame spoiler MBC, I was expecting the full monty :)
Flag
Yea very tame indeed, but saying more wouldn't really mean anything to TV viewers anyway
Flag
You almost get the impression that George forgot about him - lol - but as with any great writer - there is only soooo much you can fit in... still would like an indication that the kid is alive..
Flag
Absolutely loved it!
Just one thing, why didn't Arya go to the Eyrie to meet with Sansa. Did she even know Sansa was there. Why didn't she go inside? Was hoping for a sister reunion...
Oh and I feel bad for the Dragons, they're gonna be pissed when they get out...
Flag
She didn't know Sansa was there. Practically nobody at the Eyrie knew Sansa's real identity.
Flag
Too bad. Thought she would at least have a proper meal or a good night sleep at the Eyrie...

Flag
Sorry, but those skeletons were ridiculous. I'm happy Arya is going to somewhere interesting though.
Flag
I am still amazed by all comments from non book readers. Because they are mesmerized by what happens as we the readers were by the books.
While book accolades already know what has got to happen and just wonder about HOW it will be portrayed by the show. Will the STUFF be butchered?
So when we spend a couple of minutes on a good chat with Jaime and Tyrion, or like you said listening to the dumb titles of good Khalisi, well WE just burn in anxiousness asking ourselves, when will Tywin finally die!!
Flag
I am a massive lover of the books, but I don't mind changes to it. It's a show after all. Take the story and run with it I say, make a Westeros of your own showrunners! But that's not what they're doing... Like with Shae's character. They showed how much she genuinly loved Sansa and wanted to protect her. When Varys tried to tell her to leave by paying her she was angry and when Tyrion tried to push her away for her own good, she really looked upset. This is the information the show gave me. So then... what was her reasoning for that confession on the stand??? (Torture, money!? The show does not tell us.) So then Tyrion, who inexplicably takes a stroll through the castle, when he is literally running for his life, goes to some unknown chambers (were they his fathers?? the show does not tell us) and finds Shae. And instead of having her utter a single word, he just gets angry, goes over there and kills her?? Seems kinda ruthless coming from a man who claims to love her. And again we are left without a single explanation as to WHY SHAE DID WHAT SHE DID. It's easy to hate a character that is treated so poorly.
The show completely changed her character's persona around and that's fine. But because they still needed this finale they just stuffed her back into the story with actions from the book. Like I said, I don't mind changes. But when they decide to make one, but then also want the emotional punches that the book gives, they do their characters and story such disservice.
Plus, wasn't Tyrza mentioned in S1? When Tyrion first meets Shae and they're playing that confession game with Bronn? Could have easily made a "previously on" bit just with parts from that scene. BOOM. Jaime's confession could have been added.
More+
Flag
I completely agree.
Flag
The show does show they were his fathers chambers. There is a baton with a symbol with the Hand to the king standing up against the wall. And they were probably the same chambers Tyrion used when he was Hand to King Joffery. Obviously he would then know any secret entrance in and out. I think he went there to kill his father and the fact that she was there was just a coincidence! A unhappy one for him.
Flag
Lol. I already thought I might have been wrong about that and that people would point it out ;).
Still does not seem like enough motivation for Tyrion to kill his father. Or for Tyrion to go looking for him when he is literally being sprung out of prison awaiting his death.
Flag
I had no idea why he went after him until i saw him kill him...then i thought, well, if he is going to be on the run for murder, it might as well be the man that put him on trial "his whole life".
Flag
Apparently GRRM has said there is more about the Shae situation still to be explained in the books too. All is not what it seems. So, maybe the show will reveal more at the same point. Of course, whether it will fit will the show's less mercenary version of Shae, who knows.
Yeah, Tysha was mentioned, but a long time ago and they obviously thought it would confuse things. Some of my non-reader friends thought it made perfect sense for Tyrion to go and kill his father, others didn't really get his sudden motivation.
Flag
Yeah, I thought I might have been wrong about not knowing if they were Tywin's chambers. But still doesn't explain why a man who's running for his life would just go lurking through the place like that.
And yeah, even if they do explain some of it later, that still doesn't change what they already did to the character.
Tyrion is a very non-murderous character on the show (and in the books). Very kind hearted, albeight jaded. Even his father sentencing him to death does not seem like something Tyrion would go and kill him over. His father has hated him his whole life. I hate to say it, but the guy is used to it. It was the added betrayel of his first wife that drove him to it. And then the utter hypocracy of finding Shae in his bed.
Flag
It was his father's room. The show his shirt with the Hand of the King pin on it - which is why Tyrion gets so angry seeing Shae in his father's bed. But I agree with everything else you said.
Flag
I only read two books so could you tell me what was Shae like in the books? How was her betrayal explained (if it happened)?
Flag
In the books she was mostly described as very young and shallow minded. Meaning, that even though she may have cared for Tyrion she certainly didn't love him the way she does on the show. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's even implyed that during the time she was hiding in a brothel (yes Tyrion and Varys hid her there), she slept with other men. So her betrayel was more of a dissapointment. Varys even says something like that to him, that he should have known it might happen. The reason he gets mad is cause he finds her in his father's chambers and she tries to sweet talk him. Destroying any notion he might have had that she cared for him.
Flag
Ah, I see. Thanks!
Flag
she was loyal in the books, so we thought. her betrayal really wasn't explained too well in the book so we'll just chalk it up to her being a whore.
Flag
I think GRRM tried to portray her as a product of her environment. She'd been used and abused her whole life, so she thought nothing of it when doing it to someone else. Not even someone she may have cared for and who took care of her.
In my eyes a much more realistic view of prostitutes then the virginous "Pretty Woman" type we see so much on screen.
Flag
While watching Bran control Hodor I had the thought that Bran is going to end up on The Iron Throne because now that hes going to learn how to warg like a pro the second he comes within range of those dragons he is going to be unstoppable.
Flag
I'm positive Bran is bound to rule...I just don't think its going to be from something as restricted as the Iron Throne.
Flag
I've been also thinking for a while that Bran on the throne would be a fitting ending for the show. Somewhat surprising but making sense - plus, a Stark on the Iron Throne.
Flag
Or someone really unexpected like Rickon
Flag
Hodor!
Flag
WHAT WILL I EXPECT IN SEASON 5:
The way Melisandre looked at Jon was so creepy.. Like she had figured him out or sth..
Now that Tywin is dead.. Season 5 will all be about Cercei and her father's debt to the Bank.. That's probably one of the main reason why Tywin desperately wants Cercei to marry into the House of Tyrell.
Where would Tyrion go? To the Targaryen girl?
I wish Lady Stoneheart would appear.. She will kill those who betrayed Robb Stark.. and kill the Boltons.. and I wish Ramsay die in Season 5..
Sansa marry Petyr.. Arya become a better fighter.. Bran learns to fly..
Will Jon die in Season 5?
Flag
I just expect one thing from season 5: Melisandre not to burn Shireen.

That witch has murder in her eyes and I still haven't forgive her for Gendry.
Flag
I agree. The way the red witch looked at Jon, you just 'knew' that she 'knew. But the question is, knew what? My theory is that Jon, with his very black hair, is actually the son of Robert Baratheon and Ned Starks sister.
Flag
I always think that actually Jon is a Targaryen. The son of the Targaryen prince who supposedly 'stole' Ned's sister. Because Ned came back from the war with Jon, although seeing how Ned is super loyal and honest, cheating on Kat seems totally out of character.
Flag
I"m still on board with Jon being Ned's sister's son with his father being a Targaryen. No one will ever convince me otherwise. About the whole hair thing - when Ned looked back he looked back through the Baratheon history and no Baratheon had ever had blonde hair - which is how he knew the kids weren't Robert's. This doesn't explicitly rule out Jon being Targaryen because of his hair color.

I agree about Ned being loyal - family and loyalty he held above everything else he wouldn't randomly cheat on her. It makes no sense. Jon is definitely Ned's sister's son. I think that he's a Targaryen for the same reason that most others do - the book series is "A Song of Ice and FIre" Ice (Stark) and Fire (Targaryen) making the series in total about Jon. If Jon was a Baratheon (son of Robert) than sure, by bloodline he should be king - but he can't because he swore an oath to the Knight's Watch - he either stays or leaves and is a deserter and shunned.
Flag
Yeah I don't see how you can use a Baratheon hair & Lannister hair to assume Stark hair & Targaryen hair.
Flag
There are several theory on Jon's true parents but I'll go with the unpopular one. He is a Baratheon simply for the hair. I mean Targaryen has platinum blonde hairs, right? And Ned kinda validated Jofrey's lineage with the hair too. Just my two cents.
Flag
jon's not targaryen. but your way of thinking is on point.
Flag
Didn't Jon Snow get burned in season 2 or 3? This would mean he wasn't Dragon Blood like some say but it doesn't rule out he is Targaryen either since it isn't in all of them but it was a good idea serenachinglow. I still want to believe he is Targaryen since it makes so much sense because I don't think GRRM would have Ned Stark stray so far from his values to cheat on his wife even though he didn't really fall in love with her yet. This story is the greatest, isn't it!
Flag
You don't have enough information to rule that out.
Flag
well.. to know if he is a Targayen.. hopefully Melisandre burn Jon for the Lord of Light.. and if Jon survives... means he has the blood of the dragon..
Flag
Just in case anyone is worried this is a spoiler, the books haven't revealed who his parents definitively are so any claims you read are just theories.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members