A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

That bare spot on your digital wall is really irking me, so why not patch it over with this new Game of Thrones Season 4 poster that HBO just released today?

That's the three-eyed raven disintegrating before our eyes, and it appears that the bird, like the Iron Throne itself, is made out of swords. Thrones! Ravens! What's next? Will everyone's sword soon be made out of tinier swords? And Season 4's motto is the cheery "All Men Must Die," which you may know as the Common translation of the phrase "Valar morghulis" that's plastered on T-shirts and bumper stickers all over Essos. It's their "YOLO," basically. Also, "GOT"? I think that's the first I've seen HBO promote the title as an acronym, and I'm not sure I like it. 

Now that we're four official posters deep, which one has been your favorite? To recap, here are the first three, from left to right:

Personally, I'm a sucker for the original Season 1 design and its powerful image of Ned Stark hovering over the oh-so-true slogan of "You Win or You Die." Where do you stand?

Season 4 of Game of Thrones premieres Sunday, April 6 at 9pm on HBO.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/26/2016

Season 6 : Episode 10

42 Comments
Comments (42)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
My issue with the GoT posters is that they can never cover the whole show, even the hand gripping the crown doesn't have anything to do with Jon's story, he's not involved with the war of five kings, Dany's trying to become a queen so it works for her and everyone else of course it works for them. Maybe just a sword would convey it best, for season six they should have a snowy landscape with a sword stuck in the ground and maybe a severed hand gripping the sword.
Flag
This poster is awesome. A cool design that has multiple relations to the multiple plots. Way better than last season's 10 second photoshop job.
Flag
I love Drogon's shadow as much as the next gal (yes, we love creatures other than unicorns!), but I've got to admit the three eyed raven swods is more comprehensive in the long run.
Flag
I like the new poster. I would've preferred it if they had used "Valar Morghulis" instead of its translation, but I do understand that they have to make it appeal to a broad audience and casual viewers might not even remeber what that means. Still like the original Season 1 poster the most. Season 3 is just too minimalist for a show like GoT. If I had to rank them:

1. S01
2. S04
3. S02
4. S03
Flag
Storm of Crows...err the Crow of Swords.
Flag
A Feast For Swords!
Flag
I love how it manages to hint the books yet stay true to the viewers only audience!
Flag
minimalist dragon shadow is so just awesome. I vote that one. :)
Flag
As per me poster of Season 1 & Season 4 & Season 2 & Season 3
Flag
I like the new poster, and I'll get over the acronym, however I hope they add the entire title when they release it on blu-ray. The season 2 poster remains my favorite even if as of right now it is my least favorite season. Still super excited for season 4.
Flag
artistically exellent.... and i upvoted it as my fav... but still man.... could be better. yeah its clever, and done well, but its also what a few dudes sitting around in middle school smoking pot came up with. game of thrones is a tad up the scale than stoned junior high kids, just a tad. its still good, just thinking that of all the fucking talented people involved im amazed it wasnt even better. if it was me, id just have a picture of myhsaa walking by naked with a dragon. done. nothing else needs to be shown or said, she fucking owns the show. or maybe go a walking dead kinda thing and have our old buddy rob starks head like a week old and kinda zombie rotted out? maybe arya just killing someone with a blank stare, or just the glass volcanic white walker killer knives lined up. i dunno. but there was a LOT of better ideas floatin.... it may be excellent but it def could have been better.

Flag
The poster looks mighty cool!!! But I agree, the GOT acronym instead of Game of Thrones wasn't the best decision...

As for the raven turning into swords, that's because this season (as well as season 3) covers (mostly) events of the third book, A Storm of Swords!

Oh and my favourite is poster number 2!
Flag
I'm just proud the show is so popular that most people would understand what GOT stands for only by looking at the poster!

Well done show!
Flag
Well it could also be a reminder to people that forget about iron throne. Real deal is up north with the three eyed raven and white walkers
Flag
If the swords do come from the book title then it's a bad idea. Without spoiling anything I can say that ASoS is the worst-titled book in the series (even though it's also the best book).
Flag
Ugh at using GOT instead of Game of Thrones. They should have just thrown up a hashtag while they were at it.
Flag
Droooooooool
Flag
I'm going with number three: F-ing dragons! Even just a shadow of one is enough to do it for me.
Flag
easily season 1
Flag
I like season 2 poster most but I wish it said winter is coming instead of war is coming.
Flag
I like the reference to the third book's title in the poster. Other than that, it's a little ... unexciting and little-revealing. What does the Crow have to do with swords and the fact that All Men Must Die (good to be female in Westeros these days, btw)?

Season 2's poster was definitely the best.
Flag
As per me the poster looks like Iron throne is fading or disintegrating in background and in mean time three eyed raven is taking a center stage. Kind of a reminder to people that forget about iron throne. Real deal is up north with the three eyed raven and white walkers.
Flag
The word crow appears a lot in the books either because of all the deaths (that attracts crows) or bacause of the three eyed crow that's mentioned since almost the begining. We know its important because Bran is always talking about it! Also, I think that "after the war" and the dragons we're left with crows!!! that's why i love the poster... it may say a lot about the story that comes (I don't know it yet, so it's not a spoiler!!!) hah
Flag
"Crow" also appears to be an insult used by wildlings. Or "Kruuuuuhhhhh" does anyway.
Flag
Given how "Crow" and "Cows" is to The Night's Watch as cop is to police officer, a crow poster seems fitting for their role in the upcoming season.
Flag
That's the thing. The Three-Eyed Crow specifically is pictured here, not a random one. And since Bran (and his is the Crow's only connection to the main plot) has always been sidelined a bit this surprises me. It just feels like it's out of place and there's no actual or metaphorical connection between that particular crow and swords.
Flag
In the books it's not sidelined! It seems really important for the hole battle that Bran finds the third eyed crow! hence the swords, i guess! I don't know, but i love it.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Not really; being female in Westeros only leaves you with two job opportunities: "whore" or "housewife."
Flag
Technically, it's:
  • Witch (Mirri),
  • Priestess (Melisandre),
  • wildling (Ygritte, Osha, Gilly, etc.),
  • Queen (Daenerys),
  • Captain (Yara),
  • nurse (Talisa),
  • Archer (Meera)
  • servant girl (Misandrei, Shae, etc.),
  • Kingsuard (Brienne)
  • mother (Catelyn)
  • wife (Sansa)
  • and whore (RIP Ross, I'll never forgive Littelfinger because of you!).

Flag
Sansa and Arya might disagree with you. Arya disagreeing with you could be fatal.
Flag
I supposed assassin could count as unisex profession too, even if technically Jaqen was just recruiting when he told her she must come to Braavos with him (I miss A Man, he made murder look sexy).
Flag
While Arya is the storied exception, Sansa is betrothed to just be a housewife (castle-wife?)

Better examples are Brienne, Cersie(after Roberts death), Yara, the woman who was an Inn Keep in season one (Where Catlyn captured Tyrion), and the upcoming Sand Snakes, bastard daughters of House Martell
Flag
I have read the books. I'd give Cersei more credit if her response to anger over gender discrimination were to use something other than her tits. Brienne deserves respect. Cersei really doesn't.
Flag
Cersei is a great example if you've read the books, because you get her motivations and thoughts. She's driven mad by the order of society pushing women to the side. She sees that Jaime doesn't take anything seriously, and Tyrion is a whore monger. She believes that she's the only one who can do anything in her family and that she should be the heir to Casterly Rock, and is infuriated that her "tits" are holding her back.

So if we're talking about women who would object to only being relegated to "Whore or Housewife", Cersei is quite litteraly the "Queen"
Flag
I'll give you some of those. I wasn't picking Sansa and Arya because they're the ONLY examples, just some obvious ones. The Queen of Thorns is another, as are Osha and Ygritte, Yara and Meera, and Septa Mordane.
I don't think I'd characterize Sansa as housewife. Littlefinger might think she is, but Tyrion doesn't, and I don't think Sansa plans on it herself (any more). Chess piece, certainly.
More importantly, I'd object to including Cersei. She definitely matches "whore", although what she sold her body for isn't exactly coins. And now, she's pimping for her kids as well.
Flag
I like Season 3's poster, but I always thought it was kind of a weird choice, since neither Dany nor the dragons did much in Season 3.
Flag
Dany and the dragons did lots of stuff in Season 3! Conquering cities, for instance. Burning slavers alive, too.
Flag
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the episode where she burned everybody lol. I still think it's a bit of a weird choice, but I guess a wedding veil with blood all over it would have been too spoilery :P
Flag
Follow this Show
Members