We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO (Returning April 24, 2016)

With the sunny kingdom of Dorne factoring heavily into Game of Thrones' fifth season, it should come as no surprise that the show is filling out that world. 

That being said, the HBO drama made a splash at Comic-Con on Friday, announcing the casting of eight new characters for Season 5, including Oberyn Martell's brother, Prince Doran Martell, and the Sand Snakes—Oberyn's the hot-blooded and vengeful bastard daughters.

Alexander Siddig will play Doran; older than Oberyn and the ruling lord of Dorne, he's much more even-tempered than his late baby brother.

Toby Sebastian will play Doran's son Trystane Martell, who according to HBO's casting announcement is the heir to Dorne—and as some of you have already noted in the comments, might be a sign of an upcoming difference between the show and the books. Trystane is betrothed to Myrcella Baratheon as part of an alliance with Tywin Lannister. And speaking of Myrcella, she's been recast, with Nell Tiger Free replacing Aimee Richardson. In the wake of Oberyn's death by eye-gouging, Myrcella's position in Dorne we grow tenuous—especially since she's not really Robert Baratheon's daughter, but the love child of Cersei and Jaime.

As for the Sand Snakes, Jessica Henwick will play Nymeria Sand, who was raised to be cultured, graceful, and deadly with a whip. Rosabell Laurenti Sellers will play Tyene Sand, the daughter of Oberyn's final paramour, Ellaria Sand; Nymeria is especially fierce with her twin daggers. Keisha Castle-Hughes will play Obara Sand, a fearsome warrior and Oberyn's eldest daughter.

Also joining the cast are Obia Oparei as Areo Hotah, the long-serving captain of Doran's palace guard who is fiercely loyal and handy with a longaxe, and Enzo Cilenti as Yezzen, an extremely wealthy slave trader... at least until Daenerys Targaryen outlawed the slave trade.

Finally, Jonathan Pryce has been cast as the High Sparrow, a devout and pious man who came to King's Landing to help the poor and downtrodden, but quickly amassed a large following. Now, his fellow believers have swarmed the city, ministering to the lowest and decrying the corruption of the highest.

Game of Thrones will return to HBO in 2015. Which of the new characters are you most excited to meet?

PLEASE, NO BOOK SPOILERS IN THE COMMENTS!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/24/2016

Season 6 : Episode 1

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/1/2016

Season 6 : Episode 2

45 Comments
Comments (45)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Heh, GoT with its recasting. If I'm ever going to rewatch the series, that's going to be considerably more jarring than it is now when it comes to the characters who fell off the radar for a couple of years.
Flag
I'm beyond excited for the Cersei/High Sparrow scenes now. It might be something I look forward to for every episode. I'm discouraged at the lack of Greyjoys though.
Flag
Obara!

Tyenne!

Nym?! (Okay then Nymeria, everyone is entitled to a nickname)

Best High Sparrow, ever!!! (Be afraid R'hllor, be very afraid)

And I like Oberyn's big brother already.
Flag
Jonathan Pryce!!!!

I'm a bit weirded out by the drastic aging of Trystane and Myrcella... and I assume Arianne and Quentyn will be cast later? I hope so. Anyway, when it comes to GoT I never really know what to think about new castings until I see them in full costume with wigs and everything, so I'll reserve my judgement until that happens.
Flag
Has GoT made any horrible mistakes so far, in cutting characters they shouldn't have cut?

"Oh no," the fans cried, "they've cut out the Blackfish!"

"Oh no," the fans cried, "they've cut out Meera and Jojen Reed!"

"Oh no," the fans cried, "they've cut out Arianne Martell!"

No. No, they haven't cut out Arianne Martell. Everyone calm the frak down :P
Flag
The new Myrcella and Trystane make a cute couple. Who care about his big siblings anyway??? (no one has even mentioned any of them)
Flag
I know right? Oberyn and Ellaria's casting announcements were separated by weeks, if I recall correctly. There's no need to be upset just yet.
Flag
For those who've read the books (like me): Does this mean that Arianne Martell is being absorbed into one of the Sand Snakes or have they just not cast the role yet? It makes sense that they would diminish the Sand Snakes down into less than the total number in the books but Arianne being a "legitimate" daughter of Doran seems to be important as Doran no doubt sees her as a potential heir of his "destroy all Lannisters" legacy
Flag

Oh my God!Dr.Bashir on Game of Thrones!!!!!! This Deep Space Nine fan is beyond happy!!!Bring on season 5 already.
Flag
I will always remember him as Al-Assad on 24 and Al-Rahim on Da Vinci's Demons!
Flag
Doctor who??? i thought he was the "terrorist" from 24
Flag
Alexander Siddig did play a terrorist on 24 but he's best known for playing Dr.Julian Bashir for 7 years on Star Trek:Deep Space Nine.
Flag
To me, he'll always be the guy who died shielding his baby brother from gunfire.

You got that wrong Jack Bauer!
Flag
So it seems like they're cutting out both of Trystane's older siblings, probably fusing him with his older brother (makes sense honestly) and probably having one or more of the sand snakes take over for his sister. Otherwise he wouldn't be the heir to Dorne because he's got both and older brother and sister, and in Dorne it's all about seniority, gender doesn't matter, o if you have a daughter first then your daughter will sucseed you rather than your son.
Flag
Fantastic that Alexander Siddig is joining Game of Thrones. No Arianne is disappointing - they seem committed to sabotaging Dorne gender equality - we'll just have to trust they know what they're doing, they can't keep all the characters.
Flag
So... Trystane is not the heir to Dorne. Arianne is the heir followed by Quentyn than LAST is Trystane.
Flag
Staff
We edited the story slightly to clarify that HBO's casting announcement lists Trystane as the heir to Dorne. Either the network is wrong, or it may be a sign of more departures from the books?
Flag
Thank you.
Flag
I'd rather if Trystane is the heir to Dorne because that gives the story much more sense. Tyrion arranged it to become an alliance: it was between him, Theon Greyjoy and Robin Arryn back in season 2. It wouldn't make sense to pass 2 heirs to marry Myrcella to a random brother.

If Oberyn is to be believed, season 4 established Myrcella was happy and befriended 3 of his daughters.
Flag
Staff
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This is all great, even if it destroys more story arcs, or makes them less important but what about all the new actors to play all the characters in the north, the other Greyjoys ect. because I know they're not planning to just film book four or that would mean giving half the cast a year off. A whole year without Jon Snow, Tyrion, Bran ect. I don't see that going over too well.
Flag
So many important characters seem to be cut out of the story which means big interesting plots and subplots too
Flag
I hope Arianne just haven't been cast yet rather than being cut, as the relationship between Doran and her is imo some of the more interesting part of the Dorne story in the books.
Not to mention the entire Dorne story wouldn't work anywhere near as well with only Trystane.
On the other hand i do hope they cut the second brother, cause he was a waste of time in the last book.

As for the cast, it looks good.
But they really went all out to get ethnically diversity for Dorne.
A northern african for Doran and a black guy as his captain of guards, and the 3 half sisters is british-asian, american-italian and australian-maori.

PS. Keisha Castle-Hughes is the youngest oscar nominee in history if i remember correctly.
Flag
Trystane is not the heir to Dorne
Flag
Someone mentioned that on the HBO's website they wrote that he's the heir which means no Arianne, Quentyn and bunch of other characters
Flag
How the hell can they cut Arianne and Quentyn they are needed to bring Danny into things more, and just so much other stuff. The DRAGONS come on errrr I hate this show.
Flag
but I've waited 5 seasons for her. Oh well maybe this will be better
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
My fear that HBO may finish GOT but it won;t be A Song Of Ice and Fire but HBO's own fan fiction seems to be coming true :/

Flag
Where is Arianne? Come on they can't cut her character. And does it mean no Quentyn too? And then again no one from Iron islands? Wanted Crow's eye story to finally begin. And then what about characters from Arya's arc? And why change actress for Myrcella?
Flag
I think that's just the carracters they've casted already. I'm sure they'll cast more people as the filming moves along... (fingers crossed)
Flag
This is annoyingly almost word for word a copy of the IGN casting article, including the same mistake about Tristane Martell -- who is NOT the heir to Dorne. In Dornish law women can inherit ruling positions. Tristane's older sister Arianne (who might not even make it into the show despite her prevalent role in the books) inherits Dorne by right. There is an even older child of Doran Martell, but he is the ward of someone else so does not necessarily have precedence over Arianne. The show might combine and eliminate characters. Tristane, Arianne, and the older Martell sibling might get condensed into just Tristane.
Flag
I don't know what has happened to this show. I understand it is an adaptation and so much happens in the books they can't fit it all into the show, but now it seems like they aren't even trying. Key characters and story arcs are being completely obliterated while other ridiculous made up crap is being added to or dragged out. Season one they at least seemed to be trying to follow things and it was fine but it has gotten so out of hand. Thank god for the books. But I'm nervous I heard the show will wrap up before the books and that George told them how it will end, so help me if they do that I'll be pissed. I can't even watch this show anymore, but I was at least going to finish it after the books were done, if they ruin the ending of the books by putting it on tv first I just don't know what I will do with all my rage.
Flag
I've just newly discovered this show and I've only watched episode 1 of season 1 and it was fantastic, I'm going to try and binge watch all seasons so I can get pumped by this next upcoming season.
Flag
What are you doing here? Are you trying to get spoiled. You should just binge watch all four seasons in one sitting and get off the grid entirely while you do that. This is the only way to stay spoiler-free (assuming you haven't been already). Remember: the internet is dark and full of spoilers *you'll understand that reference later on*.
Flag
Good advice. Also, I love your last sentence.
Flag
I've been trying not to read anything that will spoil it for me and so far I've stayed spoiler free except the Red Wedding it was on sunrise(Australia) in the entertainment section and before I knew it I was in shock, but thanks for the warning. I might have to lock my self up in a internet free zone until I'm all caught up
Flag
I would be surprised if anyone has managed to stay spoiler free, even trying to avoid Game of Thrones you hear about Game of Thrones.
Flag
Myrcella Baratheon

"I'm absolutely excited but i really don't". Just look at her face haha.
Flag
It seems that Trystane will replace Arianne in the show. I wonder what was the reason behind that, I always liked Arianne and her relationship with her father.
Flag
uhh... it looks like they are ruining a dance with dragons plot by ignoring Arianne.
Flag
How exactly are they ruining the plot of ADWD?
Flag
********KIND OF A SPOILER*****

Because it was all about how back in the day the oldest CHILD was the heir, not the oldest SON. In the books Dorne still follows that rule and so Arianne is the oldest child and heir to Dorne. In the books she has a melt down when she thinks she is going to be passed up for her brother. It is a little history repeating type thing related to the history of the Targaryens who had a similar issue and may have it again soon. We will find out for sure in the next book no doubt.
Flag
I forgot about that specific plot point. I suppose that Trystane could have found the letter and thought that his father loved Quentin more, but if they do it like that it won't have the same resonance if it was with Arianne. Maybe the show didn't cut Arianne and they're just holding her announcement on purpose.
Flag
So true.. womans are not just decoration in Dorne... and to make that wing focus into another male character is just a waste.

Arianne is important 'cause it looks like she's the one chosen to "dance" with an important dragon in the future (one of the major revelations of ADWD book)... and no.. that dragon can't dance with Trystane.. well.. at least not as good for the plot as with Arianne.. :P
Flag
Follow this Show
Members