A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO
I figure we've all had those moments, moments I wanted to yell "The White Walkers are coming!" to Tywin & Joffrey or "Don't crash that wedding!" to Arya & the Hound. Moments where Jaime Lannister seemed to listen to me and ran back to save Brienne, or Daenerys broke havoc upon the slaveholders just like I knew she could.

Of course there are moments I've come to regreat: Forgive me Theon, I didn't know what Ramsay was going to do when I wish you to pay. And Brienne, I only wished for a straight guy to notice you back, never in my wildest dreams thought that man would be The Kingslayer.

So I got this idea from the latest Politics of Power recap of season 3 (that gave a 25 minutes look back to the story)...

...and The Game of Thrones Cast Gives Advice to Their Characters vid by Vanity Fair.

Because I figured we've all had those moments where we wanted to yell the best piece of advice we came up with under the circumstances, whether the characters would listen or not.

poll
37 Comments
Comments (48)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Fireproof your clothes ! Hahaha !
Flag
In light of tonight's episode of The Walking Dead: Stop killing children.

Joffrey, that means you.
Flag
''Stay away from fire. no fire'' how could you not love that guy????? I also liked what Cersei and Jaime sad... they spoken so true...
Flag
Rory is the best! I can't wait to see his scenes with Maisie this season.

And twisted or not, Cersei & Jaime will always be the firstl romance of this show to me.
Flag
Don't execute anyone on-screen.

...You either die or get castrated as a result.
Flag
Ha! Aidan Gillen's is pretty much the exact opposite advice anybody should be giving to Littlefinger. It is therefore hilarious and my favourite.
Flag
To Littlefinger, I'd would give the same advice Iain Glend gave Ser Jorah: pick wisely the woman you fall in love with.

Not the one you want to marry, that one Balish got it covered: the one you fall in love with.
Flag
Glen, not Glend.
Flag
I'm more or less lost on this show. The time between seasons is too long, and the seasons too short, and having read all the books I can't say that they are doing the story justice (save season one). I still like it, and will still watch it, but I'm not even sure when to look forward to it anymore.
Flag
I'm reading the books right now (book 3), and on the contrary, I felt that the few changes made in the series were for the best.
I don't mean that the show is better than the books!
Just that you can't do the exact same things in a book and in a show. So the choices they made felt like they really thought about it, and made right decisions.
Examples: creating Ross (the red-headed whore) as a mix of several whores of the book: this way we fell in love with her, and when she was hurt, she wasn't "just a whore" who got hurt: we liked her and resented the ones who wronged her!
I also REALLY liked that many characters were older in the show (in the book, Daenaeris is 13 when she's sold to Khal Drogo!! 13!!!! This would just have been unbearable on screen!).
So, yes, seasons 2 and 3 are less close to the books as season 1 is, but really I think all these choices were made to create a better show that a "simple" copy/paste from book to screen would've been.
Flag
Needless to say a book and its adaptation, if there is one, are going to be different, and it is indeed interesting to see how directors choose what to show and what not, as well as HOW to show it. And of course, given the sheer length of the books you cannot possibly adapt it all in detail, and it's interesting how they are mincing the second and third books in terms of timeline. I just personally don't feel the same attraction to the show and the story as I did with the first season before reading the books. I definitely agree with you that its better the characters in the show are older than in the original stories.
Flag
Well said, also the changes are still quite minimal. The best thing is that the dialogue for major scenes remains almost exactly as written in the books.

The red wedding for example is down to the very word (apart from Catelyn kills a simpleton younger Frey rather than Walder's wife so some wording is changed to reflect this.

The books are better and I would advise anyone who like the world of the show to check them out, they are just more fleshed out and there is far more details. However the show does a fantastic job of translating it to screen, it isn't an adaptation but more of a translation.
Flag
Speaking of reading: Don't do it in front of Warlords Arya, low-born girls aren't supposed to know how to read!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Don't eat in front of recently castrated prisoners too (once again, I'm so sorry Theon).
Flag
Don't fall for gay guys (to Brienne)
Don't fall for married women (to Sam)
And keep trusting creey old men, especially those who are afraid of fire (to Arya)!
Flag
Jaqen was afraid of fire too (purest death or not).
Flag
keep shady
drink more
keep your mouth shut
don't overanalize things
stay away from Kings landing
Flag
My favorite still is "Winning is not the only option " (wise words Lena!)
Flag
Best advice: "Learn to play the game"
Flag
The best advise is, of course, "Fire-proof your clothes".
Flag
Not for Daenerys. ^^
Flag
...or The White Walkers.
Flag
I'm binge watching the show right now, just to prepare for the new season. First reaction: do not trust anyone. But in general, I would think we had a better world if people smiled more I had a stroll downtown this afternoon (yes, Europe time) and almost fell in love with those few who laughed. So many people just do not seem to enjoy life.
Flag
Vote for as many as you want for as many times you wish, or share any advice you would like to give to the character of your choosing. Or better yet! Any advice they might actually seemed to listen.

Once again, forgive me Theon. And Jaime, thanks for going back.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members