A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO
When episode 3 happened and there was all that noise about the rapey scene, one important comment about it caught my eye: George Martin's. Among other things, he says that the show changed the story timeline, so when Jaime and Cersei had sex in the books things were different; in the TV show Jaime was in King's Landing for some time now, days, maybe weeks.

Well, Jaime didn't get there alone, right? Lady Brienne was with him.

And what I'm about to complain may not have changed the course of the story, but it is SO out of character for her, that makes me really mad.

Being Brienne such a loyal and honorable person, having made an oath to Catelyn Stark, promising to return her daughters to her, WHY, FOR GOD'S SAKE, BRIENNE DIDN'T SEEK SANSA AT ALL IN KING'S LANDING? She and Sansa Stark shared the same breathing space, but she never thought of talking to her?

We have some scenes of little consequence of Briene, Margaery and Ollena Tyrel, or Brienne and catty Cersei, but she never even glanced to Sansa. But then, when Sansa is missing, she has a oath to keep and the girl is important again? Of course Sansa was meant to go with Littlefinger, but Brienne should had at least a meaningful conversation with the girl, asked about Arya, made escaping plans, anything!

What do you think about it?
46 Comments
Comments (46)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
very good point indeed...
Flag
I believe that they probably would have left out a meeting between them because it was more important for her to have a scene with the drunken fool in order to collect the murder weapon. It is a slight overlooking on the side of the writers, but needed to be done as they have a limited time frame to which each episode must last, and since she needed to go off with the fool, she shouldn't really have made plans with Brienne to escape as that wouldn't have been vital to the later part of the season, It would have been more realistic but not important in the stories development. also she couldn't really have left with Brienne after the murder as Kings landing was shut off to anyone leaving and Brienne doesn't have a ship.
Flag
you are right great plot hole
Flag
No one is talking about it because it's been addressed in the first episode of the season scene with Jaime. Go watch it again.
Flag
You know, I hadn't thought about, but you're right. Now I'm kind of annoyed.
Flag
but lady stark was dead... so the oath technically is no longer active ..and in that case kings landing is the safest(!!) place to stay..agree she didnt even chk on arya..
Flag
I agree at least she should've tried to find out if Tyrion is treating her well.
Flag
Or maybe there was a scene and it is going to be shown later. And that scene is all about the escape, and to reuinite later somewhere more safe. Just saying
Flag
You're right, that makes no sense and I didn't even think of this. Sansa was in King's Landing the entire time... so the show F'ed up and should definitely not have had Jaime and co. return until after the events of the Purple Wedding. You're right, Brienne WOULD HAVE HAD TO HAVE a conversation with Sansa at some point...this was obviously an oversight by the writers.
Flag
Possible explanation: Brienne was still being accused about Renly's death on her arrival to King's Landing, so maybe no one would let her close enough to Sansa to have a convo? Just a thought, after all she would be a 'Kingslayer' in the eyes of her accuser's.
Flag
Well we don't really know that they didn't have a conversation, they could very well had one off camera, after all GRRM said Jaime might have been back for weeks or more. The writers might have felt a scene wasn't necessary although that would be a pretty strange decision. If they did meet up then I think the writers should have at least added a line of dialogue from someone that the conversation took place.

If they didn't talk then maybe it's because Brienne saw that Sansa was in a reasonably secure situation being married to Tyrion and decided to just keep an eye on her instead of rescuing her. Again a line of dialogue or more clarifying this would have been a big help. Thanks for the post, it's an interesting question.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Seriously, no one saw the season premiere?
That's more than a line of dialogue right there.
Flag
That doesn't really change anything. Brienne should have been way more insistent on returning the girl. One harmless scene shouldn't make up for this. Especially since she is going after Sansa with such sincerity after her mia.
I Don't really mind though, Deviation from the books is a good thing in my opinion because I know the books, so minor plot holes, schminor whotfoles.
Flag
I was thinking the same thing...I remember this...and didn't really know what the confusion was....
Flag
Everyone always expects me to remember every single scene of the show instead of rambling nonsense with no credibility. Tough gig.
Flag
Hey it's ok dude...no one is beating you about the brow....it's all good.....
Flag
A couple of strong blows would probably do me good.
Flag
I think their reasoning was simply that Catelyn is dead and as far as they know so is every other Stark. Winterfell is burned so I am not quite sure where should would take her or do with her. I know book Brienne would feel compelled to do something to fufil her oath but that seems to have been their justification for why she didn't do anything in the show.
Flag
I'd like to think the writers are perceptive enough that if they realized the two of them would need a scene together they'd either not make the change or put them in a scene together. Therefore I'm going with 'They didn't notice'. If that's the case I won't hold it over them - you might be able to talk over all of a character's possible interactions in the writer's room with a cast the scale of Breaking Bad but you won't on one the scale of GoT.
Flag
I blame marriage: Brienne is indeed a loyal and honorable person, so much so that she wouldn't get between a husband and his wife. And Sansa is indeed Tyrion's wife, she'll remain such until the day she dies.
Flag
Yes, that's one of the reasons they shouldn't have got there until after the wedding. When they arrived last season, I assumed that Brienne was going to be given some task that would keep her out of the way, but she wasn't. Of course, I don't know how easy it would be for someone of her status to get to see Sansa. She doesn't seem to be allowed out of the Red Keep and its gardens.

I still don't really know why they changed it and brought them to King's Landing early. I'm assuming it was a contractual thing about them having to appear in so many episodes and they didn't want to draw out the journey any more.
Flag
I'm thinking its because Brienne has always been a guest on the bride's side. The audience was so focussed Catelyn Stark, they forget Brienne also served Lady Margaery for as long as she's married to Renly.

Brienne owed Margaery an explanation as to what happened to Renly, she owed her an explanation for leaving Stannis alive, but most of all Brienne owed her an expanation as to why she was protecting Jaime Lannister when she should've been protecting Renly's wife.
Flag
I think maybe she is not one of the "top" nobles, since she is from a less proeminent house, but she could have talked to Jaime about it, if she couldn't get to Sansa herself. He probably would help her after everything that has passed between them.
Flag
Yes, that's true. Assuming she could get to see him. I can't remember whether we saw them together between arriving and the wedding.
Flag
Yes we did Not only together, but talking about the subject itself.
Flag
Thank you, I didn't remember this.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm