A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO (Returning mid-2017)
It's tempting to see the enemy as evil, but what happens when you've laughed with the enemy, feared for the enemy or root for the enemy to end up with the very guy whose friends is killing. And it wasn't just Ygritte I was worried about, it was Tormund too, the cannibal Thenn that I came to like, despite of what he did to the youngestr brother's parents, even Ser Allister and the deep in denial Janos Slynth.

It's exhausting to root for Jon, all the while knowing it was Tormund he may as well kill down the Wall; to yell for Tormund to make it, all the while knowing it was Sam he may have to kill to do so. To be glad Ygritte got through only to resent her for killing Pyp, or to know that little boy had every reason to kill her, all the while knowing what this may do to Jon.

I gasped for each person on each side of this conflict. I smiled with Jon for, whoever would die next, at least he and Ygritte got to see each other before it happened. And, by the end of the battle, I was equally devastated to see Grenn and the Giant dead on the ground.

It's exhausting to care for both sides, to know the story of both sides, to laugh, to fear, to root for both sides...because it makes you painfully aware that, no matter which side wins, everybody loses.

poll

Comments (10)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Part of what makes it a great battle for me was how these people were aware of things: Jon basically sent his friend Grenn to die, they both knew what it meant to held the gates from a giant, Grenn knew what it meant to the very moment he went there and neither quit.

Ser Allister counted on Jon, he knew Jon hated him and he counted on him. Can you imagine it? To count on the person you hate the most to defend you, to know you're asking a close friend to die, to rely on someone so blindly, so faithfully and know, without a doubt, that they won't fail you.
Flag
Great point, ionee24!
While many people say that they don't care that much about this episode emotionally, it was the opposite for me, because there were characters on both side that I care about (and who died).
I mean, even when you side with the nightwatch - who do you support in the fight Thormund vs. Alister Thorne?
This "grayness" is one of the things I like about GoT.^^
Flag
It works for the wildlings as well, as disorganized as they were: the Thenn counted on Ygritte's arrows no matter how much they despised one another, the giants were tight enough to avenge one another and Tormund wanted to go down fighting even after everyone fighting with him was dead.

These are people that believe there were 1000 brothers in each Castle, just like Jon said. That never knew how easy could've been to defeat them that night. And they were as brave as any crow they were up against.
Flag
I was really hit by the deaths of Grenn and Pyp...
More than by the deaths of Oberyn and some others... At least Dolorous Edd Tollet made it! YAY!
And Ygritte... I was too prepared to feel the punch completely I have to admit - but I was hit nonetheless and I think they wrote the scene of her departure very good.

Flag
Grenn was the sword in the darkness, the watcher on the wall and shield that guards the realms of men.

He died guarding them...from a giant, no less.
Flag
Grenn was like:
"And how can a man die better,
than facing fearful odds,
for the ashes of his fathers,
and the temples of his gods".
Flag
I still can't over the fact he died reciting his vows. I've been watching his training in the season 1 DVDs ever since he and Pyp died.
Flag
Well in books Ygritte death was really poignant and imo show did full justice to her as i had hoped but along with it the made Grenn's death one of the most heart touching scene of the show. But still can't pick between two - one was about finally the end of a star crossed love story and one was about to sacrificing one life for honor and duty. Jon and Ygritte arc was closest GoT had ever ventured into romance so to see it finally breathe its last was heart breaking and then again see Grenn dying a hero's death was a feeling mixed with loss and pride. So both scene get my vote.
Flag
I wept at her last "You know nothing Jon Snow", for a second I hated Olly for it.

I forgot that, for a second, I also hated her for Olly's father.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members