We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO (Returning April 24, 2016)

It turns out George R.R. Martin and the Game of Thrones showrunners aren't the only ones who know how A Song of Ice and Fire will end. Apparently, some exceptionally perceptive fans do too.

While speaking at the Edinburgh International Literary Festival, Martin noted that some readers have correctly puzzled out the ending to the saga, which consists of two more books, The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

"I've wrestled with this issue, because I do want to surprise my readers. I hate predictable fiction as a reader, I don't want to write predictable fiction," Martin said, according to The Telegraph. "I want to surprise and delight my reader and take them in directions they didn't see coming. But I can't change the plans. That's one of the reasons I used to read the early fan boards back in the 90s but stopped. One, I didn't have the time, but two is this very issue.

"So many readers were reading the books with so much attention that they were throwing up some theories and while some of those theories were amusing bullshit and creative, some of the theories are right," Martin continued. "At least one or two readers had put together the extremely subtle and obscure clues that I'd planted in the books and came to the right solution. So what do I do then? Do I change it? I wrestled with that issue and I came to the conclusion that changing it would be a disaster, because the clues were there. You can't do that, so I'm just going to go ahead. Some of my readers who don't read the boards, which thankfully there are hundreds of thousands of them, will still be surprised and other readers will say: 'See, I said that four years ago, I'm smarter than you guys.'"

Martin's decision not to change the ending falls in line with the author's aversion to fan service as a whole. As he also explained at the festival, he won't decide whether a character lives or dies—or include gratuitous gay sex scenes—simply because fans are calling for them. "I'm not going to do it just for the sake of doing it," he said. "If the plot lends itself to that, if one of my viewpoint characters is in a situation, I'm not going to shy away from it. I don't think I can insert things just because everyone wants them. If it was a democracy, Joffrey would have died much earlier than he did."

You hear that, people? Might as well quit your Change.org petition for a Jon Snow and Jaime Lannister love scene. (But we can always dream.)

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/24/2016

Season 6 : Episode 1

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/1/2016

Season 6 : Episode 2

115 Comments
Comments (115)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
when we will see next season of Game of Thrones ?
Flag
Winter came.
The end.
Flag
Nice story.. fans are watching with real imagination showing characters to them as live, Of course some fans can predict ending of game of thrones
Flag
You know nothing, (insert YOUR name here).
Flag
I miss Ygritte...

Don't hold it against you Olly, I just really miss her (and your village too).
Flag
Even though Joffrey was annoying i kinda miss him now that he is gone. dont ya just miss his face XD
Flag
Hodor will sit on the throne
Flag
*spoiler alert*
http://comeonhitme.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-will-lead-the-army-of-white-walkers-against-daenerys-targaryen-and-her-dragons/
Flag

Noone knows but going by the title it's going to come between white walkers and dragons
Flag
If you read the books there will be no ending to the story just an ending to what we'll know happens for certain. The question should be what point in the story would you like the books to reach in order to feel satisfied when you know there will be no more.

Flag
Honestly, I was okay for it to end back when Robb died:

• his sisters were safe and each in the hands of a capabla adult (Tyrion and The Hound at the time),
  • his brothers were also safe and each of them trusted to a loving adult (Osha and Hodor at the time),
  • and Jon was in love (I didn't even need to know how that would end, he was in love and I was happy for him )

But then, I met Brienne, and Oberyn, and Missandei and Daario and even though I was satisfied with the point in which I was ready for it to end, I'm ready to get to the actual end whether I like it or not.
Flag
I get a feeling there will be no Iron Throne by the end of this saga, better chance of there being seven different kingdoms. My friend thinks it's going to turn into a walking dead situation, but he hasn't read a single book no matter how hard I try.
Flag
"And who are you?"

the proud whore said..

"that I should bow so low."

Only a boner..

as hard as stone.

thats all the truth I know..
Flag
Westeros will split, Daenarys will rule in the South, Sansa in the North
Flag
I'm thinking more along the lines: The White Walkers will rule the North and R'hllor will claim the South myself ;)
Flag
They're going to effectively sign the Westeros version of the Magna Carta, limiting the king's power and creating a House of Lords type deal. Martin has already drawn extensively from Medieval English history, and he's done a great job at chronicaling how terrible a single ruler can be for a kingdom.
Flag
Danaerys will sit on the throne beside John.
Flag
Oh yeah, sure. That'll be totally unexpected :D
Flag
From the way things have been going, the books are going to end with everyone dying in the end.

Flag
I have seen articles about this on many different websites and they all mention "the end" having been figured out. Click-bait headlines.

I watched his talk in Edinburgh with fans where he answered the original question and gave these comments and at no point did he infer it was the end that had correctly been figured out.

It is other things that have direct clues to them throughout the books, but as for how it will end there isn't foreshadowing on that front to the same extent as other theories/prophecies. The things he is referring to is one theory in particular in my view, and those who know will likely agree (but no need to discuss it).
Flag
The way I see it, reduce it to the one "who wins the Iron Throne" theory or "Who are Jon's parents?" theory is a mistake.

The books have never been all about it.
Flag
I am not saying they are, I am saying that these particular comments by George seem to be referring to other theories.

Any theory on how it ultimately ends (and indeed the true final problem of Ice and Fire) is almost entirely guess work as there is not really any foreshadowing or clues towards this. Thus it is unlikely George is saying people have worked out the ending as the headline suggests.

However there are many clues and other aspects that lend themselves to theories on Jon's parentage and the fulfillment of prophecies, and these are the ones I think George is saying some have correctly worked out.
Flag
Exactly! People often forget that the series (well, the book series that is) is called A Song of Ice and Fire. The "Game of Thrones" part of the story is just one big distraction. In the end, there might not even be an Iron Throne at all.
Flag
lol GRRM, you misspelled four *DECADES... XD
Flag
stop assuming what's gonna happen if GRRM knew what you guys are speculating he will kill another Stark
Flag
Who rules for the next few years probably isn't that important to the main story. I'm not actually sure there will even be a unified Westeros once Ice and Fire have finished their duet.
Flag
The main story started in a prologue with three rangers witnessing the rise of White Walkers. I doubt anything but that story will come to an end when all is said and done.

This is their world, the character have just been living in it.
Flag
Yep, as one of the commenters on this site once said, the Kings Landing politics stuff is really just very interesting filler.
Flag
As much of a filler as The Ironborn, the Narrow Sea, the wildlings, R'hllor & Stannis, the Lords vs the tribesmen of the Vale or The Brotherhood without Banners.

Just because it's interesting doesn't make King's Landing the only political plot in the books, or the show for that matter.
Flag
Yeah, I was using that as shorthand for everything else. But most of the show is focussed on King's Landing or people wanting to get there.
Flag
I'm going to break down the ending for you guys because I figured it out a while ago and it's pretty much been confirmed on the boards.

Here goes:

Oh wait...someone's at the door. BRB.
Flag
NSA saw what you were writing, called GRRM, he knocked on your door and when you opened, he killed you so you can't tell us the correct ending anymore. ;P

"Valar morghulis, madafaka, valar morghulis..."
Flag
By the time his series is done, I'll mostly likely have Alzheimer's and not give a fuck. Early signs of me not giving a fuck have already begun to appear.
Flag
Maisie WIlliams will have Alzheimer's by the time it's done!
Flag
By now every possible outcome's been theorized so this still doesn't really give us much to go on. That being said if Jon's not Azor Ahai and Rhaegar and Lyanna's son then I'll be surprised.
Flag
Honestly, Jon's parents on the books must have been the most obvious clue of the saga!

What's really going on with Bran or Theon were the real pay-off IMO
Flag
No gratuitous gay sex? I'm out! ;). Just kidding.
Flag
I've always known I was right, I'm always right. And now that I feel validated, I can finally stop sharing my theories online.

Seriously though, the clues are there. That doesn't have to make it predictable, it only makes it all the more fun because we get to guess the end.
Flag
If possible could you PM me these clues.
Flag
It would be faster if you just pick the first 5 prologues and the 5 last chapters of each book to get the first 10 clues.

There are way too many for a PM just on the third book alone.
Flag
Another thing I neglected to mention is Dany is born of a incestuous bloodline. So if she were to ascend to the throne, she could still end up going mad. In which case, she would have legions, siege engines and dragons with which to set Westeros aflame. If that happened, only Bran would be able to stop her, because he could warg into a dragon and attack the other dragons. He would also have all the Stark's sworn bannermen as his allies.

As someone already stated, Dany seems to be the obvious choice. So in the end she probably won't hold the throne.
Flag
This is based on assuming there are enough dragons left by the time she makes it to Wesetros, or if she ever does. Last I checked she only has one left but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm busy re-reading the books. And someone pointed out correctly that people are too stuck on "Game of Thrones" because that is the name of the TV show ( A Song of Ice and Fire would not have been as commercially successful as a title.)
Flag
*Spoiler Alert* She only rides one of the dragons left

Whether the rest of them get riders too or grow wild without Daenerys it's another story altogether.

The really interesting part are all the clues about the potential riders in each potential House.
Flag
* Maybe SPOILER ALERT* huh? I never noticed any clues about other riders from other houses riding the dragons.. unless you're referring to those who have left Westros, like Tyrion and Aria somehow getting to ride dragons?
Flag
I'm talking about krakens & dragons, not wolves & lions. In case you havent noticed: Books were very especific about the potential raiders
Flag
I don't see her suddenly going mad, that doesn't seem like the way it works. I think I recall someone saying Targaryens are either great rulers or mad, Dany lucked out.
Flag
I never said anything about Dany suddenly going mad, but it has been subtlely suggested that Aerys madness and Joffrey's sadism are somehow related to inbreeding. Viserys was clearly cruel and mad.

Dany's madness could come in a fashion similar to Aerys. Not as a direct consequence, solely of inbreeding, but as a result of that and certain traumatic experiences. Of course its all just wild ass speculation.
Flag
Rhaegar was different. Thought to the the dude of westeros but unfortunately fell to the war hammer of baratheon rebel.
Flag
Joffrey's sadism was a direct result of something else entirely: if you have been paying attention to Tywin's sister, you would know what it was by now.
Flag
Just listen to her, grab the chapters in which she appears and really listen what she has to say: everything makes sense after that.

And it's. just. perfect.
Flag
What has Genna Lannister to do with all that? Please tell me!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Dany is not here to hold the throne: she's here because she's the only fire power against a massive army of dead people.

And don't be fooled by the petty quest to win the iron throne: when all is said and done, you'll need fire to stop the Baby Walker's toys soldiers.
Flag
Or maybe, the heroic White Walkers will be the saviour of human kind against the nasty, evil dragons and the legions of R'hllor?
Flag
The way I see it, Valar Morghulis, "the gift", "what is dead may never die" and other expression that are most likely spoilers only mean one thing: the dead must stay dead.

The Baby Walkers are a different war altogether, its their soldiers who deserve to rest in peace rather than being ensalved.
Flag
@dhaworth: I don't think there's none. Warging seems unnatural whether it comes from Orell or Brandon Stark.

Much like Jorah said this season, it's tempting to see you enemies as evil, but there's good and evil in every side in every war ever fought.

Baby Walkers are just doodling with the only crayons they ever got, they don't see it as butchery and cruelty and scare tactics on the living.

White Walkes don't even seem to go out every winter to kill, but rather to gather more babies (as if to reproduce). The Night's Watch themselves don't seem to "father no children" because it says so in a vow, but rather because of what could become of the babies.
Flag
I don't disagree with your main point that raising undead armies isn't a particularly good idea. But I'm not sure whether there is really much difference between this and warging. One comes from ice magic and the other from (earth?) magic. We don't know how many WWs there are, we've seen 13.

I just think that there is a general assumption that the WWs are 'evil', based on pretty much nothing. All we really have to go on is some stories that date back around 8 thousand years, passed on by word of mouth. That's really quite a long time ago, so whatever truth there was has probably been distorted. From the baby-turning scene, they seemed quite a civilised race.

I mean, the Night's Watch was supposedly founded with it's sole function being to fend off these beings, yet the only critical piece of information they would need (how to kill) didn't even make it through the ages.
(I'm doubtful that that was the real purpose of the NW and the Wall, but I digress)

I'm hoping WoW will shed a lot more light on this whole plot.
Flag
Even a broken clock is right twice a day so... Yeah, hardly a surprise that with a following as huge and devoted (to say the least), some fans would have hit on the right (as in planned) ending... I can't say I am surprised that he won't change the ending since it is obviously a long and detailed project so to change it because there may be a handful of people who guessed right would be just counter productive... People who read avidly through the zillions of online boards speculating on GoT can hardly complain they were spoilt because they read that theory?
Flag
Amazing writer. I havent read the books but the moment he disclosed that Littlefinger was behind John Arryns death (and set things in motion) was proof for me that he knows what he is doing. I dont want to change anything from the original plan and though i love the show i ll give him all the time in the world to write the books without rushing.
PS My bet is that Bran will sit eventually in the Iron Throne
Flag
On the list questions I have about the ending, who sits on the Iron Throne is pretty low. Who'll care about that when the Others come.
Flag
I can't wait to say "I told you so" to whoever sits there at the time.

It's going to be a long winter for him/her, that's for sure.
Flag
I feel sorry for Tommen. I don't know what's gonna happen to him but things will probably get ugly at some point, with all the enemies the Lannisters have.
Flag
Yep. You clearly have NOT read the books, lol... All I'm gunna say...
Flag
I feel the Iron Throne is getting way too small for TV Bran.

He's just greater than that.
Flag
Exactly. Either Bran or Dany will rule Westeros. It won't be Stannis because he made a devil's bargain. It won't be Jon because he has no claim and he's borne black.
It won't be Baelon because he will die by the blood magic of Melisandre. Baelish's treachery will soon catch up to him. Arya doesnt give two craps about ruling and I feel Lady Sansa is headed for tragedy.

Its likely to be Dany because she has dragons, siege weapons and legions of Unsullied.

It's likely to be Bran because he should eventually be able to control the dragons through warging. (He's already looked through the eyes of a dragon). He likely has other yet unrevealed powers emanating from The Old Gods.

Note: These are just guesses. No spoilers here.
Flag
It doesn't sound like you've read all the books. There is a spoil in your post but the show might go a different way.

From reading all the books and watching the show. Dany is a strong option to rule but she is also the most obvious option so I'm leaning towards someone else being on the throne at the end.

I seriously doubt Bran will be King. If he is he'll have to be a very different type of King than the traditionally type. You'll understand more once you've learned more about Bran's storyline.
Flag
I havent read all the books. I have no idea what will happen next season because I only read up to the deaths of Tywin and Shae.
Its been so long since I read them that I didnt even know who Oberyn was.
Flag
Some good theories there. I haven't read the books, so all I know is what's happened so far in the show. Here's my theory though....
Jon Snow isn't Ned's son. He's the son of Ned's sister and the Mad King and therefore Dany's half-brother. I don't know how it would come into play, but I think it'd be a cool twist.
Flag
Oh. the Mad King is the father of someone alright, but I'm not saying whom.
Flag
Not likely that the Mad King slept with Lyanna Stark if only due to large age gap and the fact they were never really together (the Mad King rarely left King's Landing in his later years), but perhaps you are close. I say perhaps as nothing is confirmed.
Flag
Certainly. I think a cool twist is the exact reason why GRRM left Jon's parentage shrouded in ambiguity.

If he and Dany ended up half-siblings, it wouldnt be all that outlandish.
Flag
when did he look through the eyes of a dragon?
Flag
If you'll watch last season again, you'll see that one of the dragons was missing for a short time, (drogon if I remember correctly). About the same time Bran mentioned he was looking through the eyes of a (yet unidentified) flying beast. He never said specifically what it was. In my mind this explained drogon's disappearance. It may yet prove to be the case.
Flag
Yeah, that unidentified flying beast wasn't Drogon. Bran has no connection to the Dragons. He DOES however have a connection to something else. Which is also why Sean Bean may return to the small screen in an upcoming episode. All I'm gunna say. ;)
Flag
He hasn't. Bran has no connection to the dragons.
Flag
Glad to see he's not changing anything, I hate when stories are altered in an attempt to throw people off. The ending he has been building towards will be the right one.

I'm still catching up on the books (only on the third one so far), but based on what I've read and seen on the show I have drawn only one conclusion for how it all ends... Hodor sits the Iron Throne and The seven kingdoms enter the greatest age in their history!
Flag
Kristian Nairn accidentally confirmed this in an interview, but then HBO made them delete it.
Flag
Good on him, and yeah, while it could be a bummer to an author a few fans might know what's coming, the vast majority do not, but just wait on pins and needles for the next installments. And Fan service is DEFINITELY crappy. I recall a couple of years back Hawai'i Five-0 did it to decide who would be the bad guy in the episode.
Flag
You know, I'm surprised he looks at it the way he does. I mean, some people would consider all those theories and fan-sites dedicated to his work as a form of flattery.

I guess it just comes down to your mindset: it's either something you take pride in (focusing on the fact that people become so engrossed with your work that they analyze it to its core) or it's something your disappointed with (focusing on the fact that you're not going to surprise everyone in the end).
Flag
He probably does check in to see what people think or write, and it's more like if you an inbox filled with hundreds of thousands of messages that you have to click on to delete, never mind read. Obviously he knows that some fans have guessed the outcome, so he's got to be reading some here and there.
Flag
I agree with those that have said this doesn't really help because there are SO many theories - with 3 front runners. Though, the way he said it made it seem like a few got it correct when he says "some" and "at least one or two readers," meaning it may not be one of the big three. So there's that I suppose ...
Flag
That he will not change the plans is a very worthy deed - I hate fan service (like in the last season of OUAT) - it's pathetic and shameful.

Flag
The only change I'm aware of is changing Osha in the books to be more like the show.
Flag
The again, it's not like he's playing fan fiction with Disney Princesses. GRR Martin created Westeros from scratch.

It's easier not to cave into fan service when you actually know what you're doing (whether I like what he's doing or not).
Flag
Yes, but the writers had a plan to create love triangle between Emma, Neal and August - they changed this, because some noisy little girls think that Hook is prettier. And there are other important things too (like Frozen). I can't and I will not watch this show anymore , but I'm still frustrated and I hope something bad (not on personal , but on professional level) to happen with the autors.
Flag
Take Jaime for instance, Martin made him from scratch, it would've been easier to turn him into a "bad boy" or a "woobie" achetype to cave fan service.

However, the author made him a deviant you're glad when is being punished, yet you also root for because his relationship with Cersei and Brienne make perfect sense within his storyline.

It's not a love triangle, it's not even a contest: they're just three dimensional characters that make perfect sense, like a puzzle.
Flag
What fan service? Did Regina and Emma finally hook up? :P
Flag
That's HoYay (and/or gratuitous same sex scenes), fan service would be...well, Frozen.
Flag
OUAT bringing in the Frozen crew is about the lamest shit I ever heard.. I don't understand everyone's obsession with that movie, I watched it with my niece and I didn't think it was anything special..
Flag
It's you know...like...illuminati and stuff.
Flag
Hook and Emma they were a huge fan favourite. Thats why they changed both of their characters to try and make them a semi-believable couple.
Flag
#SwanQueen
Flag
As a book reader who has visited several fan sites I can say this doesn't say much. There are so many fan theories about what will happen and who will end up on the throne at the end. There are 3 fan favourites but there are also some pretty depressing fan theories on the ending too.
Flag
Just because it's sad doesn't mean it won't come true. As of this point, I can't see a happy ending for Jaime & Brienne (not unless there's a miracle), Theon & Ramsay or even Margaery or Littlefinger.

That doesn't mean things would turn around only because I wish for a happy ending. Just look at what happened to Jon & Ygritte, Robb's reign or the Stark family.
Flag
I agree about Jamie and Brienne. I think Theon will get a happy ending he suffered enough to deserve one. Ramsay deserves to die its just who gets the joy of killing him. I hate Margaery in the books she is a villian and I want her to suffer, I like her more in the show but maybe we just haven't gotten far enough. I think Sansa will survive and will either end up with Little Finger or Podrick, I'm rotting for Podrick. He's as close to a knight like the stories she always loved.

Given what Martin was going to originally call the last book I don't think we will see anymore stark deaths, excluding the possible death at the end of book 5.

I think the surviving Stark's will get a happy ending.
Flag
I don't think Sansa and/or Robin will get a happy ending as long as Littlefinger keeps them all in the middle of the tribesmen of the Vale's territory.

Poor social climber is so dumb that Littlefing only worries about who's above him: he just can't see the mob about to destroy him just because ( they just hate the Lords of the Vale).
Flag
I would have been surprised actually if none of the theories would come to be true. There's just so many.
Flag
LOL That's what I said in my comment below.
Flag
I would have been surprised actually if none of the comments mentioned it. There's jut so many. :)
Flag
Yeh.

When I read his comment my response was "So what." There are SO many out there, that chances are one of them is right.

The most interesting one I read involved Jon's... background. That was one of the few that I read that involved various clues and such. But I've probably only seen like 2% of them.
Flag
Ya Jon's background is incredibly wide and I'd be surprised if its not true because theres no clues hinting to anyone else being Jon's mother. Either way I can't wait for the answer to the cliff hanger of book 5 whether its from book 6 or the tv show.

Some people think Jon ends up on the throne the other 2 popular choices are Dany and Tyrion. I'd be happy with any of the 3. Dany seems like the obvious choice so for that reason I don't think it would be her. Plus where would that go she can't have children.

But as for all the theories posted there are so many from everyone dying and it being a world of darkness to Rickon becoming king, Stannis as King, Gendry/Edric Storm as King, Tommen as King and so many more. Some people even think Aria is going to be queen. If Martin said no one has ever suggested the ending I would find that hard to believe.
Flag
que the millions of websites that will do the fans top five guess for the end of Games of Thrones articles. I'm looking forward to reading yours TV.com.
Flag
It's big of him to admit it. Usually they don't, which just results in red herrings. He has to stick to the plan he started there isn't any other way, he can't go back an insert new chapters to confuse people.

Story should be logical. And with that logical perceptive readers/viewers will figure it out. This shouldn't be a concern if he is still able to create tension with viable alternative outcomes.
Flag
oh my god. this raised my heartbeat GOD FORBID that i come across any of the fan speculations I want it to be a complete surprise for me. GOD. the fans, sometimes.
Flag
I'm going to completely disregard your desire to be surprise and ruin the ending for you. This is the fan speculation Martin was most likely referring to- http://youtu.be/XjzC2DRgEo4
Flag
I`m going to go with Peter Dinklage`s guess and that's a huge song and dance number at the end!!!!
Flag
There's a part of me that can't help but laugh at the fact that Martin won't write a gratuitous gay sex scene, but writes plenty of gratuitous hetero sex scenes, and if memory serves a bit of gratuitous girl-on-girl. Granted, none of the POV characters seem to be men who identify that way...
Flag
Loras and Renly weren't gratuitous.

Neither were Olivar & Oberyn for that matter.
Flag
And neither of these involved POV characters or sex scenes in the book
Flag
We're talking about gratuitious gay sex scenes, whether it involved POV characters or not.

By the way, neither Ellaria nor Cersei were gratuious too even if their respective scenes were a different brand of gay.
Flag
Actually, no, we're not. At no point in my original post did I mention the show - I spoke about what Martin would write, and characters in the book. Further, the article was also about Martin and the books, not the show.
Flag
Personally, I think Martin was talking about killing a character off, and the gay sex scenes were just wished for by the author of this article.
Or, are there people really clamouring for Martin to write these scenes so they get put into the show? That seems...odd.
Flag
I doubt anyone's clamouring for sex scenes to be added to the books so they can be added to the show - the show is doing fairly well in adding sex without it being in the book as is. I can understand the argument that it would be interesting to see things from the perspective of one of the less than hetero men in the books, but not simply for the sex (or even the sexuality; some of Martin's implied to be gay characters are themselves very interesting). Other articles have mentioned the gay sex thing, which makes me think that it wasn't just something suggested here but actually came up in the interview.
Flag
In regards to that last statement! Eeeew! I love the stories aswell, but Jon, nor Jaime ever showed signs of being gay ! So stop dreaming, and go back to your gratuitously gross, poorly written last season of True Blood!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members