A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

[WARNING: The following story contains spoilers from the most recent episode of 24: Live Another Day as well as HUGE spoilers for HBO's Game of Thrones. Book readers, you'll be safe. Read at your own risk.]

24: Live Another Day may have fooled audiences when the show "killed" President Heller, but this week's casualty is a goner for sure. (Read Cory's review right here.)

After Jack (Kiefer Sutherland) and Chloe (Mary Lynn Rajskub) were able to fake the death of President Heller (William Devane) by hacking into the video feed on the drone terrorist Margot Al-Harazi (Michelle Fairley) was using to target the leader of the free world, Margot honored her word to crash all her other drones and cease the attacks on London. However, when Margot realized she'd been tricked, she set her last remaining drone's sights on Waterloo Station.

Fortunately, Jack was able to find Margot's location with an assist from Chloe, and when he arrived, he killed Margot's son, redirected the drone's missiles, and put Margot in handcuffs. But when Margot tried to make Jack feel responsible for the deaths that had happened in London so far, Jack simply tossed Margot out the window to her bone-crunching death.

Interestingly, Margot's brutal death parallels that of Fairley's Game of Thrones character Catelyn Stark, who died unceremoniously during Season 3's Red Wedding. But whereas Margot is unquestionably dead, Thrones fans recently created a stir about the fact that the Season 4 finale did not include Lady Stoneheart, a zombified version of Catelyn Stark who sets about killing those who have wronged her and her family. But does Fairley think her character should be resurrected on the HBO drama?

TV.com chatted with Fairley about Margot's death, how her "honorable" nature did her in, and what she makes of the online furor over Lady Stoneheart. (Hint: Book-readers may want to keep on complaining.)

This is the second role in a row in which you suffered a brutal death. What's the deal?
Michelle Fairley: There's probably something that ends up happening in the working process where they end up hating me so much that they just can't do anything but kill me! [Laughs] No, it's fantastic to have a character who's so focused and dedicated and committed to her cause that she's willing to lose her life for it. And when you're playing the baddie in a series like 24 and Jack Bauer is on your tail, you know that the minute they meet, you are going to die.

Right. But did you know at the beginning that her death would come before the end of the season?
Fairley: 
Because it was 12 episodes instead of 24, the producers had a basic guideline. They know the story arcs and how it's going to work, but they hadn't decided what episode it was going to be in. They are constantly tweaking, and it's a very organic, high-stakes process that they go through. But you know contractually how many episodes you're going to be in, but they didn't say at that point, you're going to go [out] in this episode. It was exciting every time to get a script because you didn't know what way they were going to take her. It was always thrilling. 

What did you like about this character? She's obviously doing bad things, but she isn't pure evil.
Fairley: In her mind, she's a very honorable woman. She's very intelligent and she's completely committed. It's her purpose and her drive. She has taken something on, and she will see it through to the end. So, you play this woman's passion, you play her commitment. In her mind, she isn't evil. She's achieving a goal that is pertinent to her. It involves a loss of love with her husband.... but she's also trained her mind to not be emotional. Her emotions are very intact; they are not emotions that can send her out of control. They keep her focused, they keep her driven. She is cool under pressure.

I suppose she showed some honor when she kept her word about downing all the other drones.
Fairley: I admired the writers for putting that in. It shows that when she made that deal with the president, they both were giving their word. It's important ... because she had achieved her goal. She wasn't just going to annihilate the rest [of London]. She was prepared to draw the line once President Heller was dead. That was what she set out to do. And therefore, when she realized that [Heller] had lied, it makes the betrayal doubly hard for her. She kept her word, but she's thinking, again, "Why did I believe them? I should have trusted my instincts."

But the things she did to her daughter Simone were less than honorable.
Fairley: She feels her daughter has betrayed her. She wouldn't betray her daughter; she is forced into that position. [Simone's] actions forced Margot to play the hand that she played. It's not like she [could say,] "I'm going to back out now." She's in this until she achieves her ultimate [goal] which is the death of President Heller. If there is any form of interruption in that process,  even if you are related, you're not safe.

Although her fatal flaw might have been trusting Heller too much, couldn't she also have left before Jack arrived? Why did she stay and wait for the missiles to launch, even when her son advised against it?
Fairley:
 She isn't prepared to run away and leave this half done. Knowing the person that she is, it was something that would eat away at her and she would feel like she had failed. It's a flawed choice, because she's ultimately not thinking about her survival. She is thinking about what she set out to achieve and she is prepared to sacrifice herself for that.

To that end, do you think she was happy Jack threw her out the window? She doesn't seem the type that would have done well in prison.
Fairley:  I think so. I think she's probably one of those people who, even if she had been captured, she probably has a cyanide pill sewn into her jacket somewhere. [Laughs] She wouldn't want to live after that. For her, it's all or nothing.

Did you see the symmetry between this death and Catelyn Stark's death on Game of Thrones?
Fairley: It's coincidence really. It didn't go through my mind. She's a mother, she has kids. In retrospect, you can sit back and see the parallels. It just so happens that both of these [women] were played by me.

Interestingly, Catelyn has been in the news again. Have you been reading the Game of Thrones fans' furor about the exclusion of Lady Stoneheart from the show?
Fairley: 
No, I don't do any of the Internet stuff at all. I try to live in as free an Internet world as possible. I haven't seen any of that. 

Even so, do you want to return to the show and play that character? Is that a possibility for the future?
Fairley: 
Catelyn Stark is dead, I'm afraid. I'm sorry to say it, but she's dead. George [R.R. Martin] has written incredible novels, and David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] are doing a wonderful job of distilling those books into 10 hours and making a fantastic television series. But there's stuff along the way that has to go — you can't put everything that's in the book on the screen. There are sacrifices to be made along the way. Unfortunately, people might be expecting one thing, but it doesn't happen. It's life.

Wouldn't it be an interesting transition to go from Catelyn the caring mother to complicated villain Margot to stone-cold zombie murderer?
Fairley: 
Well, it would certainly be a very easy makeup job! [Laughs] It would be a breeze for the makeup artists. They would take one look at me and say, "Off you go, you don't need any makeup. You look like a zombie anyway!" But, no, it's not going to be.

In a similar fashion, do you think the ghost of Margot might haunt these last few episodes of 24?
Fairley: What they're very good at doing on 24 is once you're out, I have no idea how the series ends. I'm going to have to watch it like anybody else. But, look at what's happening in the world today. There are plenty of people who take on other people's passions and feel the need to go out and act on them. [But] I have no idea what they've got lined up.

24: Live Another Day airs on Mondays at 9/8c on Fox. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/26/2016

Season 6 : Episode 10

42 Comments
Comments (42)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
There should be a better spoiler warning for Game of Thrones fans.
Flag
Seriously, if you've disregarded "HUGE spoilers for HBO's Game of Thrones. Book readers, you'll be safe. Read at your own risk", at this point, it's really, solely on you, not on them.
Flag
I swear I didn't see that when I read it o.O Anyways, I didn't get spoiled. I have read the books. I was just commenting.
Flag
SPOILER ALERT DON"T READ WHAT I WRITE BELOW THIS LINE OKAY? SPOILER ALERT FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS.

Jon Snow dies at the end of book 5.. if anyone got spoiled.. its on them for reading it.... I gave fair warning

Flag
Just curious... who at TV.com did the "interview" with Michelle Fairley?
Flag
Since there has been no response.... Does this mean that TV.COM's staff does not read the comments to their articles??
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
"TV.com chatted with Fairley about Margot's death, how her "honorable" nature did her in, and what she makes of the online furor over Lady Stoneheart."

Again, who at TV.com "chatted" with Michelle Fairley and how did this chat take place? Over the phone, via email, in person?? Care to comment, Adam?

Flag
I don't think that the show's lack of Stoneheart means the character will not be important in the book. Martin has noted at times his surprise that they omitted character's from the show that will eventually play big roles in the book. There is the possibility Stoneheart is just being delayed until later because she has a minuscule role in the books up until where Martin is now.

The show should surpass where the books are in the next season and although the show's producers know the broad strokes of where the story will end up they do not have manuscripts for the last two books. I would not be surprised if the two stories will start to look less and less alike, which I'd be okay with.
Flag
But she has already played an important part in the books. Not in terms of her contributions to the plot but in terms of validating the reactions readers had after reading Red Wedding. She was a character that most well represented the repercussions of the RW betrayal and that is important to GoT fans too. If anything, their reaction to RW has been more intense.
Flag
I agree that the character's appearance at the time seemed like a game changer in the book. Whether people liked the character or not it was arguably one of the most interesting developments in A Storm of Swords. I think leaving it out would be a mistake regardless of whether or not the character becomes an integral part of the story later or not.

But there is a problem in a adapting the character for television. For example Stoneheart appears to more or less be a mute in the book I don't think HBO would be willing to pay an actor a good chunk of change to play that role. If Stoneheart was never going to become anymore important than that initial WOW factor I can see why they would leave her out. But obviously it is hard to say what this decision will do to the story without knowing what her character is going to become in the book.

Flag
I don't think she would confirm she would be back to Game of Thrones, even if they are keeping Lady Stoneheart in the story. After all, it is a big shock to those who haven't read the books, so I doubt anyone would spoil this in advance.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be too sorry if they decide to cut Stoneheart from the TV series, due to not being important in the books. I never liked that storyline in the first place, even if this means we will never see another popular character come back.
Flag
I miss Catelyn...

And now we're at it, I'm going to miss Margot too! She was larger than life and one of the greatest anatagonist Jack has ever fought against.
Flag
Yeah, and back when Jimmy/Steve got on that boat Emmy Rossum and the showrunner said that that was it and we were supposed to get that he was dead and wasn't coming back...
Flag
That subterfuge worked so very very well. No one else from the cast was in the scene with Chatwin and Dichen Lachmen so they didn't have to tell anyone else and many of the cast seemed, from their Twittering after it aired, to not even know it was happening until it aired. Their excitement was shared with the audience. It was a brilliant shock to end the best season for the show.
Flag
in that case the producers did even better, hiding the reappearance of Jimmy even to his fellow castmembers, who learned of it only by watching the episode like everyone else!
Flag

This sounds to me a lot like Obi Wan's story to Luke: “Your father is dead Darth Vader betrayed and murdered him.” Yes Cat is dead though Michelle never mentions Lady Stoneheart by name; only that Cat Stark died for real, and technically speaking, that is true.

Flag
* I consider Michelle Fairley and HBO (or whoever pays the cast) are still in negotiations over money and whatever else. I can't imagine the producers wouldn't want to do Lady Stoneheart.
Flag
I'm not buying it. They absolutely have to cut side stories from the books to compress the story but LSH is essential to the story. As much so as Melisandre. The Red God has power and it must be shown.
Flag
I really think its sad how journalists, news and blog sites do more to spoil the show for people than any individual ever could. First by blowing out of proportion the random instagram picture of Lena Headey which would only be a spoiler to people who already knew what would happen and now this interview.

Yes, we all know your site or blog or whatever will get thousands of more hits if you can include anything relating to Game of Thrones.. but exaggerating that GRRM's reporter said there could me more than 7 books or that GRRM did or did not know about a rape scene just comes across as Gossip Girl trying to get popularity in high school.
Flag
She's been told to keep a lid on it, I'm certain. It's already out and spreading amongst non-book readers. I saw an interview she did a long time ago and her answer was very playfully coy in saying "she wasn't allowed to talk about it".

She's now been told how to answer this sort of question; "Catelyn Stark is dead". Yea we know that, because LSH is definitley not the same person anymore.
Flag

RIP Margot Al-Harazi. May your virgins await you ...oh that's just for the dudes. Nevermind:

Flag
I could watch this gif over and over again! Virgins? I thought it was Virginian's! ;) In case you don't know its from Robin Williams stand up.
Flag
Was it normal or coked up Williams? 'Cause I like the coked up version the best.
Flag
Nanoo Nanoo
Flag
Its been too long. I didn't watch 'The Crazy Ones' but thought I had read Pam Dawber (Mindy) guested. I should have checked it out but I tend to steer around CBS sitcoms.
Flag
You obviously don't speak Ork. Its Nanu Nanu.

Sheesh. ;-p
Flag
Hmmm not sure. It's from his 2002 HBO special Live From Broadway. Its one of my few favorite stand up specials.
Flag
Loved him since he was Mork!
Flag
I was really looking forward to seeing LS in the last episode and was disappointed when she wasn't in it. I guess that's what you get for having certain expectations when you read the books. :( However, I have the feeling that Michelle is just saying that we won't see LS because she's trying to throw us off the track.
Flag
HBO style if Michelle Fairley doesn't want to play Lady Stoneheart (And I totally understand why she refuse that if ask like it's one of that filler storylines with no point to it really, and play a zombie killer is not all that fun to start with!) they can recast the role.
Flag
there's no real confirmation whether Lady Stoneheart will or won't eventually be on is it there? just that director saying he didn't know of anything coming up because they're so secretive. so the title of this article should be changed because it kind of gives away that she could possibly come back.
Flag
Ultimately it is up to Benioff and Weiss, and they have yet to say anything on Stoneheart. At this point, and since Fairley seem to believe that it is cut, I highly doubt Stoneheart is going to happen, and that makes me incredibly sad. I just wonder what they're going to do with Breinne and Pod. I am still hoping it does happen, but I am no longer expecting it, if it happens, great, but if it doesn't happen in season 5 , it is cut.
Flag
I obviously don't know but judging by an interview I saw from her a while back I am almost certain she will be back, they just didn't want it to overshadow the finale.
Flag
I hope you're right, and if they were going to do it, I doubt they'd announce it. I guess we'll see by the end of season 5, because if they're going to do it, it will be by the end of season 5.
Flag
Every season seems to have a cold open before the main titles in the premiere episode, and I think it'd be a perfect reveal to knock off the season, but will see as we get closer to season 5.
Flag
My guess is beginning or very early, because keeping it under wraps is already hard with everyone talking about it's omission.

I am certain that this interview is the result of Fairley being told to play it off.
Flag
I love the show but as a book reader my main complaint is how much of the magically elements of the book are left out or down played. In the books Jon, and Arya are also wargs (have wolf dreams) but the show leaves that out. It leaves out the magic black door sam goes through and the antler man that saves him and gilly. It downplays Dany's visions and the prophecies that drive her. As mentioned above Lady stoneheart hasn't appeared yet. The whole backstory about the threeheaded dragon and Rhager Tragyena hasn't been explained.

While I don't know the ending I know that magic is a central part to Martin's storyline and the show downplays it as much as possible. I get that some of it is cost and time but Lady Stoneheart is part of Brienne's storyline and they are way ahead, they've done her whole storyline up to the end of book 5 if they are leaving out lady stoneheart.
Flag
Don't forget Coldhands..
Flag
I'm sure Arya's and Jon's warging will be introduced in season 5 - especially since it's very important for Jon's fate.
Flag
I thought it was but the show is downplaying the northern storyline so much I'm beginning to wonder. There are 3 theories about Jon's storyline well 4 but ya I always thought ghost was important but the show makes me second guess myself. I was right about Jojen dying.
Flag
SPOILER!!!!!
According to apopular theory (Jojenpaste) Jojen just died a little earlier than in the books. So no big deal.
About Jon's storyline: I'm a fan of the "Melissandre saw a man then a wolf then a man in the fire"-theory. ^^ There are too many things that point in that direction. And this will need warging.
Furthermore I think GRRM introduces the Stark kids as warg slowly, carefully and over a long time, because it will be important in the end. And I think especially Arya's Nymeria and her epic pack of wolves will have an epic comeback at one point!
OK granted, there's a lot of wishful thinking on my side! :-)
Flag
I'm aware of the jojenpaste theory. I always believed that Jojen was dead in the books and Bran just hasn't found out yet but I'm not a believer of the jojenpaste theory.

I agree with everything else you said about Jon and Arya. Jon's one of my favourite characters in the books so I tend to believe the best theories about him. And ya they focus on the four footed wolf a lot in the books I always thought eventually aria and nymeria would join back up again.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members