A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO
After the rules of my own Valentine's Day Friday poll disqualified every kiss from this show, I thought Game of Thrones deserved a poll of its own.

The trouble was to come up with some examples. Given the nature of Love According to Game of Thrones, the most glaring examples of romantic love prefer to jump into a bear pit or stare at each other's abs rather than to share a kiss at the Harrenhal courtyard. Ironic how the most romantic spot of Westeros happens to be this infamous ruin as well.

So I put my mind to it and came out with, what I believe, must have been the most romantic kisses ever featured in Game of Thrones; either because the couple fell in love after they got married or because they chose to do so regradless if they were married.

Catelyn and Ned Stark (King's Landing, season 1)
After 5 children and a bastard son, this married couple still had it in them to share a secret rendezvous outside Petyr's brothel. As unsuitable as Ned felt for Catelyn Stark, the audience was able to see how hopelessly in love he was and why he won her over as she held him in her arms.

Daenerys and Drogo (It's a boy, season 1)
As difficult as her wedding and honeymoon was, at least Daenerys was emotionally involved with her husband by the time they were expecting their first child. And, judging by that tender kiss he bestowed upon her, he was just as involved with her too.

Cersei and Jaime (I'll kill them all until you and I are the only people left in this world, season 1)
As detrimental as their relationship has been, the audience couldn't deny theirs was the passionate and impulsive feeling you only get from your first love. It didn't matter that she was married, it didn't matter he was a grown man, it didn't even matter they were blood related siblings. They were adamant not to stop, until life stopped it for them.

Robb and Talisa (I hope it was a beautiful bridge, season 2)
She was the kind of independent woman that wouldn't give up a career only to get married, he was the already engaged man that gave up a strategic alliance to be with her. By the time they kissed, you just knew they were in trouble and you just knew they didn't care.

Loras and Renly (Jealous? Of Brienne the Beauty?!, season 2)
In a world with no domestic partnership, the actual Tyrell-Baratheon couple struggles to balance public humiliation, their political agenda and Brienne's crush on Renly though a kissing scene that combines true love, daily routine and the same commitment as any other couple in Game of Thrones.

Shae and Tyrion (I'm yours and you're mine, season 2)
She was supposed to be a whore that he rented to spite his Dad, but he was running up those stairs like only a man would run for his bride. Shae repeated words that would later be revealed as standard wedding wows, and Tyrion assumed the reality that feelings happen.

Melisandre and Stannis (I would never abandon you, season 3)
Okay, I've never got the sense the feeling was mutual, but Melisandre did get Stannis to act like a lovesick boy - rather than the stern conqueror that he was - as they say Goodbye from the beach. And that deserves recognition.

Jon and Ygritte (Kissing on top of the Wall, season 3)
And thus Jon fell in love with the enemy by breaking up his vows to The Night's Watch, all the while knowing that he would only break his vows to her, the moment he would honor his vows to The Halfhand.

poll
Comments (21)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'd have do go with my favourite couple in the series: Jon and Ygritte, now THAT was a kiss! <3
Flag
Indeed.
Flag
I am soo not a fan of the whole Gendry and Arya ship. Woof!

Flag
I'd say two people that can look romantic without having a single romantic scene ever must be doing something right.

Both actors have been amazing with their storyline.
Flag
They have been and they have good chemistry but the whole notion of anything romantic bet the two of them creeps me out. He's like a protector (more like she protects him, esp in the books) / big brother / friend, anything else is out of the question for me.

Strange enough I'm just a bit fascinated by the twincest occurring bet Cersei & Jaime, their relationship is pretty complex.
Flag
Cersei and Jaime have been pretty romantic incest notwithsanding. For awhile before Robb & Talisa, Tyrion & Shae or Jon & Ygritte, they were the only couple by choice.

Gendry & Arya are another brand of romantic, in the same vein as Jaime & Brienne are romantic or Sam & Gilly are romantic: the audience can tell its there even if the characters themselves never act on it.
Flag
Sam and Gilly..... :-!
Flag
Why so few votes for Jaime and Cersei? As wrong as they are, I have yet to see a more passionate, impulsive and irrational kiss on this show. No better kiss than a kiss with thrills.
Flag
They certainly are the masters of the passionate kiss, I don't have to like the pairing to admit that much.
Flag
Well technically they didn't kiss (as in lock lips) in that scene ;) . Oddly enough, they have never been shown to be kissing up to now - although, looking at the trailers, that much seems to change next season.
And yes, they definitely should be higher on the list nonetheless ;)
Flag
I count the "I'll kill them all" scene as loving kisses, just because they weren't on the lips doesn't make them less romantic.

I've got hand it to Jaime though: the character doesn't even have to lock lips to be romantic towards Brienne or Cersei (though I agree the promos hint that's about to change next season).
Flag
I would like to see a kiss between Ice and Fire... if you know what I mean... let's hope it will happen...
Flag
I would like to see an actual kiss at Harrenhal: no Gendry showing up his abs, Robb swearing revenge in front of his loved ones or Jaime jumping to fight a bear, but an actual kiss in the middle of the courtyard.
Flag
Daenerys and her "Sun and Stars" Drogo.
Flag
I'm still waiting for Gendry & Arya, Jaime & Brienne or Margaery & anybody's first kiss.

It just doesn't seem right they are the only ones who have never been kissed.
Flag
I dunno about that, I haven't read the books.
Flag
They have never been kissed on the show (whethe or not they have been kissed on the books its another story).

Its particularly weird when it comes to Margaery, she's super cute.
Flag
For me it's definitely Daenerys and her "Sun and Stars" Drogo.
Followed by Jon & Ygritte and Jaime & Cersei (no matter how twisted the latter may be).
Flag
For me it will always be Jon and Ygritte kissing on top of the Wall (there's something about it that's just perfect).

Flag
Same here. There was something magical about Jon and Ygritte kiss. Even though it was apparent from very beginning (even for non-book readers) their love story is doomed but still one can't help but root for them.
Flag
They made me care because they were fully aware of what they were getting into. It takes guts in a way an irrational form of love may not.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members