A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO
This season had a lot of good things going on: for some it may be Tyrion's trial, for some the epic battle between Brienne & The Hound, for some the other epic battle to take over The Wall. I decided to choose my own top 7, whether they are intimate, epic, bittersweet, etc., they are all favorite moments, the most unforgettable for me, moments that I wanted to pay an homage to.

1) The Baby Walkers

I knew what they were doing to the babies was wrong, but not even in my wildest dreams I thought it would be that wrong. After all, feeding an army filled with zombies must have been tough, so I've always assumed Craster's sons were given to fed the dead. Nothing could've prepared me for the tender way which a White Walker held the last of Craster's children, the connection the infant seemed to feel towards him, the peaceful road to what would turn out to be a giant nursery in which Baby Walkers were made.

Looking back, it should have made sense: the drawings made with pieces of dead people, why The Night's Watch vows state to father no children, the silent yelling from infants that were robbed of their childhood.

2) Arya and The Hound

A bittersweet journey in which The Hound taught Arya to recognize weakness, within herself and others, that dead men don't need silver, where is that a man's heart truly is. His lessons were honest rather than cruel, her response was raw rather than sentimental and, in the course of the season, what started out as 2 people pretending to be father and daughter, ended up with the only daughter this father could raise.

It was heartbreking because, by the time they encounter Brienne, The Hound is really the only one I see fit to watch over Arya. It was tragic because, by the time he asks to die, Arya no longer wants to kill him. And so, Arya leaves the last man she allowed to save her, for he had toughen her up and she didn't need saving anymore. And The Hound saw the last child he ever shielded part ways, for dead men don't need silver anymore.

3) The Lannister Brothers

Jaime has always been the Meredith Grey for King's Landing Seattle Grace: all he ever wanted has been for Cersei to pick him, choose him and love him. So, imagine my surprise when Season 4 was all about the Lannister boys and their bond as brothers.

Tragic at times, funny at others, it was a bond that revealed so many things about the characters starting by the reason Tyrion endured Joffrey: because he was Jaime's son. To save Tyrion's life, the only reason Jaime would give up the Kingsguard and take a wife, just like father always wanted to.

It was only fitting that Jaime would see to Pod's safety, much like Tyrion see to Jaime's when he set up Bronn to train with him. The brothers couldn't even tell it was goodbye in the middle of their escape plan. Their last hugg a glimpse at what must have been their childhood.

4) The Biggest Fire The North Has Ever Seen.

I knew I din't want Sam to die, but I didn't want Tormund to get killed either. I knew I mourned for Pyp, but I didn't wish for Ygritte's death because of it. I knew Grenn was as good as dead when I saw that giant, but there was something so heroic when he recited his vows I dared to hope otherwise. I knew I didn't like Ser Allister, but I couldn't help myself to cheer for him as loud as I cried for Ygritte, for Grenn, for Pyp and so many others that died on both sides of this battle.

5) The Viper and The Mountain

No character since Renly Baratheon won me over as fast as Prince Oberyn: he was confident, sexy, a great father and didn't discriminate anyone from his bastard daughters to the baby imp he met as a kid. It's odd to find such a noble person among, well, the noble persons, yet Oberyn was larger than life and just as unforgettable.

I wasn't prepared to like this Mountain, by the time Qyburn said the process would make him different I tought "What else is new?!", yet the third incarnation of the character was the right brand of monstrous and a perfect match for Oberyn Martell. Their scene was epic, tainted by the personal tragedy of a brother that still mourned his sister, and the tension from what would happen should the Mountain win. And the Mountain did win, but the Viper laughed last.

6) Creepy, creepy Margaery

Margaery is one of the most accomplished characters of her world. In this day and age, she would be a diplomat, a chieff of staff, a vicepresident! In Westeros? She has to settle for Queen (how unfair is that!). To become the Queen she has had to marry her brother's boyfriend, a sociopath product of incest and, now, a pubescent boy.

With the same skill Margaery embraced Brienne and fed the poor of King's Landing, she made the best out of the situation offering Tommen a confidant, a friend, and a partner the sweet kid readily embraced.

7) The Bolton Family

From Ramsay's brand new mother to Locke's "warm" stories maiming the Kingslayer, from Myranda the psycho to one broken Theon, the Bolton have stolen the show this season.

On one hand, Bolton did what no other noble has done and gave Ramsay his name, on the other, he did so after Ramsay tortured and flayed some more iron borns. One one hand, Ramsay seems to enjoy how broken Reek is, on the other hand, Theon is the only creature Ramsay treats with something that resembles actual love.

So there you have it, my Top Seven. Do agree or disagree? Which moment you'll remember forever, which one you will regreat the most? Which are your Top 7 of Season 4?

poll

Comments (34)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
tvDOTcom has started airing audio advertisements on it's website!! =(
Only the shadiest sites on the web play audio advertisements on their websites. This is a sign of the beginning of the end for tvDOTcom.

Please repost this message a couple times in some other episode posts, and then consider abandoning ship
Flag
I LOVED seeing Hot Pie again! More than I ever thought I'd be. Just hearing him talking on end about pies felt like the world was set to right again.
Flag
You can not give up on the gravy!

Just because the gravy isn't the bastard son of a King, or a Stark of Winterhell doesn't mean the gravy can't survive in this world.
Flag
Everything Sansa. This is literally the first time in the series she's interesting, and it looks like she's finally ready to be a player in her own right.
Flag
I must have missed the part where Sansa played Robin Arryn - a.k.a. The Lord of the Vale - just like Magaery played King Tommen, or when she used Tyrion as Margaery used Joffrey & Renly to further her own agenda, or when she gained the tribesmen of the Vale just Margaery won the mob of the capital, but I guess I'm glad she's out of King's Landing?

I just don't see "getting out" as "become a player".
Flag
She joined Littlefinger's game and kind of inferred she knows he owes her for setting things right for him. She played the nobles of the Vale and even played Littlefinger a bit as she knows her being the daughter of his only true love is maybe the only thing Littlefinger is sentimental about.
Flag
She told a sob story arranged marriage that only the one lady in the entire Vale would believe, Sansa just got lucky Littlefinger is a prev and Lysa wasn't well liked amongst her peers, that's all.

To play a somone, to really play someone, you need to have the kind of cool head and actual wits that would allow you to handle from a pyscho like Joffrey or Ramsay to a beloved grandma like murderous Olenna Tyrell. Margaraey has that, Myranda has that, even Cersei has that. Sansa has not.

If that Lady would've been a Lord, Sansa would be on her way to King's Landing by now:. No one is as stupid as to keep the disgraced sister-in-law of the Queen Regent and pretend everything is going to be alright.
Flag
there were two lords present so what are you on about?

You are confusing past and future tense. Her moment is so interesting because she finally "started" to be a player, not that she always was one.

This is clear from her conversation with Littlefinger who is proud like a dad about it.
Flag
This was Tyrion's season all the way. Everytime he was on screen, you cried, laughed or cheered. The way he portrayed his feelings, makes him for me the best actor alive. Also a great accomplishment of this serie is that I really don't trust anyone/anything anymore. Great example is the last scene with Jaime breaking out Tyrion....I didn't trust that for some reason :p Is he setting him up? Is he the one killing Tyrion? It is making me crazy. I'm happy that Tyrion went on a killing spree. O men, I love this serie. It is torturing to let us wait so long for a new season.
Flag
Arya and the Hound's relationship was great, but I don't know whether she didn't kill him because she didn't want to kill him or because she wanted to see him suffer. I would have also liked to see Arya and Brienne journeying together, because that would have been cool. But yes, Arya and the Hound's relationship was pretty great. I also loved the Lannister brother moments (so precious) and Oberyn Martell (p.s. Renly was killed way too early, wasn't he?)
I was not a fan of the Bolton family, tbh. They creeped the living shit out of me. But I was a HUGe fan of the scene with Tyrion's trial. So many emotions in such a short time. Also Petyr and Sansa's storyline was interesting too.
Flag
I see Arya as The Hound's more than Ned's at this point.

If you ask me about guardians, she had several (Beric, Tywin, Jaquen, Yoren, Syrio, Ned). But if you ask me about role models, the one that really shaped her life: that was The Hound and no other.
Flag
My favorite was Sam acting like a warrior and cussing at what's his name. Oh and him kissing Gilly was great.

Jon and Ghost reuniting.

Sansa finally starting to get it.

Ramsay tormenting Theon.

The interactions with Jaime and Tyrion.

Oberyn up until his sloppy fight with the Mountain.

The depiction of the giants.

The reintroduction of the others was pretty cool.

That is about it.
Flag
I agree Sam & Gilly's kiss was pretty memorable.

Bonus points to Maester Aemon, if only because he figured out long before they do.
Flag
arya and the hound! every second of their screen time was simply brilliant!
Flag
A lot of the interaction between them came off like filler, but I like the Hound so I didnt really care. I do wish GOT had a big enough budget to be truly epic when it needs to be. Rather than zooming in on mundane, practically irrelevant, person-to-person exchanges, as a bloody war wages in the viewer's blindspot.

When Tyrion readied for war, they showed his conversations preceding the battle. But of the war itself, nothing but a dwarf being trampled, and completely ignored Jaime as he cloaked himself in glory. One of the best warriors in Westeros.

Gladiator wouldve sucked if they talked about Maximus' triumphs, rather than showing them.
Flag
I didn't see Arya's interactions with The Hound as a filler any more than I saw her interactions with Tywin Lannister.

They just brought a new side of the war, as seen through the commoners eyes. For little awhile, they were a beaten warrior that lost his hime fighting for the Tullys,and she was that girl who lost her mother in a fire,.

For a while, they were just another low borns trying to survive the rapist soldiers at the Inn, the killings on the road and the natural elements with no shelter, their journey no diffrent than any commoner trying to survive the war their Lords brought on them
Flag
Arya's story has to take a certain path, I agree, but how the producers choose to bring ASOIAF to life is a different thing entirely. They could choose to linger for an episode or two, rather than a season. In many cases the how is more a means to avoid expense, than a necessity of the source narrative..
Flag
I think for the sake of the story she had to be delayed so that she would be ready ot play her part in teh bigger picture at the right time.
Flag
Then again, people don't grow up overnight. Not even war orphans. Same as Bran didn't reach the three eye raven overnight, nor Theon became Reek in an episode or two, Arya & The Hound couldn't become Arya & The Hound in only one episode.

It was a process: for him, for her, for them. They would've never reached the point in which The Hound'd battle Brienne for Arya in only one episode, the Arya he met in season 1 would've never hesitated to kill him when he asked, like the one he fostered did.
Flag
Arya's interesting, even entertaining, but I'm more interested Arya the faceless than Arya the wanderer. There was nothing achieved in watching her wander to the Vale in vain. It took too much time, yet It did little to progress the story, but it helped the producers to stay within budget. There's a reason we werent hanging with Jaime or Robb as they waged bloody war: the budget wouldv'e been blown.

GOT has a cast of almost 300, yet more than half the time there's less than 4 people on screen. Theyre given about 60 million and asked to produce a season of epicness. Fellowship of the Ring was given an estimated 93 million to fill 3 hours and everywhere you looked there was epicness. IMO, there's a lot more to GOT's universe, than LOTR's, but GOT is given a lot less to bring its universe to life.

I'm a big fan of the show, I just think it would take a lot more cash to flesh out the world of Westeros in which we could see more of what we read about. What we're seeing is a cross-section of this, and a cross-section of that. It could be far more epic without changing producers or actors, and even bring guy's like Coldhands into the light of day.
More +
Flag
Arya has the rest of her life to fulfill book spoilers, but she had only the first season to spend with family, one season to talk to Tywin or be with Jaqen and only this one season to grow up with The Hound.

Arya is a war orphan fostered by an unlikely match, before she becomes whatever it is that she's meant to be, she has to be who she is now.
Flag
The 7 are all good. I personally liked the biggest fire a lot. I will always remember Jeffory and Tywin's death. I will miss Charles Dance.
Flag
That would make 4 people that will miss him, at least according to the Dead character you'll miss the most poll.

(I can't believe he's getting so few, his character was as larger-than-life as Oberyn)
Flag
Well to be honest each of these moments are simply awesome and one just can't pick a favorite. But personally I am a big fan of heroic battles and sacrifices for greater purpose and that's why I will go with biggest fire north has ever seen. That episode was so unlike GoT that we have come to expect (i.e some hidden ulterior motives of characters, treachery etc) but still so much like GoT in the sense that leaving aside Thenns and Slynt I was not sure I wanted to see anybody loose. There was something old classic heroism of LOTR mixed with the ambiguity of good and evil of GOT in that episode which makes it one of a kind for GoT. And yes one honorary mention for Margaery Tyrell - she is just a minor characters in books but the way her scenes are written and way Natalie dormer performs them - it makes them sheer treat to watch

Flag
The Biggest Fire the North has ever Seen was as intimate as The Red Wedding, as epic as the Blackwater Battle and as emotional for me as when Ned died on the first episode 9.

Janos Slynt was just like watching one of us normal persons crack at a new reality: repeating that giants don't exist even if they are at the gates, repeating the wildlings aren't organized even if the brawl can be heard from the courtyard, hiding from the mammoths in a corner even as mammoths, white walkers and their dead are marching towards them.
Flag
Sansa starting to play (and win) the game of thrones...
Flag
Tyrion's trial and Joffrey's death are my favorites this season.
Flag
Definitely hallmark moments, looking back it almost seems like the season begins and ends with these events even if they happened organically within everything else.
Flag
I've never seen the show but reading all of these moments is compelling me to start.
Flag
Images (films/TVs) are seldom better than books but this one is exceptional. Start watching the show right away!
Flag
I've never read the books either so Ive always been like I'm I at a disadvantage will I click onto the characters and there stories. Should I bother with reading the books or should I just watch and go with suprise.
Flag
I missed the first season. only started in season two. I only got into it hearing how good it was from friends and the internet. The very first episode of season one already got me intrigue and hooked.
Flag
I haven't read the books back when I saw the first 15 minutes, but I felt an instant connection to the 3 crows that tried to outrun The White Walkers, and I kept thinking how unfair it was to behead the survivor.

Ever since then I've been waiting for time to prove them right.
Flag
Personally, I just focussed on the Stark children and learned about everyone else as Bran, Arya or Robb were meeting them...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm