A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

SAY IT AIN'T SO NEWS

... Grab the tissues and the bourbon because I've got some sad news: FX's Justified, which just kicked off its fifth season last night, will probably end in 2015, after Season 6. This is upsetting, because Justified has consistently been one of the best series on TV—it's even better than its flashier network brother Sons of Anarchy. I'll be sad to see it go, but the good news is that this news has nothing to do with ratings (which, unfortunately, were down for last night's premiere) and everything to do with the story. And having a definite end in sight might actually be for the best. Look what it did for Breaking Bad

The biggest question I have right now isn't what we're going to do after Justified ends, but what FX will do? SOA is assumed to be parking its bikes for good later this year with Season 7, which means the network will soon be down two signature series. Let's hope the network's younger series, and those still in development right now, will be able to live up to Justified's legacy. It probably won't happen, because Raylan and Boyd have set the bar pretty high, but there's always hope. [Variety and Deadline]

BUSINESS TIME

... Forgive me, because I somehow missed this for yesterday's news briefs, but Teen Wolf premiered to record ratings on Monday night. "Anchors," which wasted no time effing with fans minds, drew 2.43 million viewers. Now, I'm not saying this was a direct result of Price's awesome photo recaps, but it totally was. Well, that and the three shirtless hunks who appeared in the episode; they probably helped, too. [Deadline]

... Speaking of ratings and good looking men, CBS's Josh Holloway-starring Intelligence, which Tim pretty much said was a stinker, at least as of the pilot, brought in 16.6 million viewers on its special preview night. But, and of course there's a but, the demo numbers are pretty terrible. Intelligence only scored a 2.4 rating among the all-important 18-49 crowd. This can probably be attributed to the fact the premiere followed NCIS, which brings in a ton of viewers, but skews older than most shows. Intelligence will move to Mondays on January 13, and I've heard some rumblings that it changes directions significantly in future episodes, so there might be hope for Sawyer yet. [EW]

... The Charisma Carpenter-hosted series Surviving Evil has been renewed for a second season by Investigation Discovery. The true-crime series features real-life stories of men and women who fought off their attackers and lived. The 10-episode season is expected to debut later in 2014. [TV Guide]

... In addition to adding a black female cast member on MondaySaturday Night Live is also diversifying its writing staff by adding not one, but two black women to its roster of scribes. LaKendra Tookes and Leslie Jones were both discovered during the series' recent talent search and will join the staff on Monday. This is a step in the right direction, but just like with Sasheer Zamata joining the cast, these women are now going to face some extra-trough scrutiny, though probably to a lesser extent than Zama because they're more behind-the-scenes. I wish them all the best of luck! [THR]

... TBS has renewed its new late-night series The Pete Holmes Show for Season 2. The show enjoyed a seven-week stint in 2013, and will now return for 13 more weeks beginning February 24. It airs Mondays through Thursdays at midnight, immediately following Conan. In case you don't know who Pete Holmes is, he's a comedian, and he's also the guy who voices that baby in the E*trade commercials. Wait, that probably wasn't very helpful either. Oh well, guess you'll have to check him out on TBS when the show returns. [TBS via press release]

... The winter premiere of Pretty Little Liars was the most tweeted-about season premiere in the history of television, amassing 1.3 million tweets by nearly 700,000 people. This is unsurprising, given that the ABC Family show is known for its social media presence and that the summer finale brought in 1.9 million tweets. But, guys, we really need to sort out our priorities. Let's focus those tweets on something more important, like say, discussing teenage werewolves and their friends, or how much we miss Aaron Paul. #KaitlinCares [ABC Family via press release]

... Oh look, news about Aaron Paul! In a recent in-depth interview with Details, the Breaking Bad star expressed a desire to be involved with Better Call Saul, the Breaking Bad spin-off centering on Bob Odenkirk's Saul Goodman. But no matter what comes of the spin-off or Paul's involvement in it, the interview is definitely worth a read for his fans. [Details]

...  Qantas and Twentieth Century Fox Television have partnered up to fly the cast and crew of Modern Family to Australia to film an episode of the series. Zzzzzzzzz. [Fox via press release]

... CBS has reached an agreement with Amazon to stream Extant, its new Halle Berry-fronted series about an astronaut who returns home to Earth and tries to reconnect with her family, exclusively through Amazon Prime Instant Video. The episodes, which premiere on CBS in June, will be available just four days after they're broadcast. This comes in the wake of the network's successful video-on-demand partnership with last summer's Under the Dome. [CBS via press release]

... I'm not sure how many of you will be interested in this, but I'm not here to judge your viewing habits, just to act as a messenger. So: If you are a fan of Disney Junior and the shows its airing, you should know that the channel has ordered new seasons of its animated series Sofia the First, Doc McStuffins (which is actually a nickname for—wait, nope, I promised Tim I wouldn't tell anyone that story), and Jake and the Never Land Pirates. [Disney via press release]

... Marry Me, the new comedy from Happy Endings creator David Caspe about a recently engaged couple, has been given the greenlight for a pilot at NBC. The single-camera project has been compared by at least one person to the successful '90s comedy Mad About You, which reminds me: I really liked Mad About You. [Deadline]

... Instead of announcing new series separately from the renewals and return dates for old series, Hulu decided the best course of action was to just toss everything into one press release and hope our brains could pick through all the words to find the worthwhile information. It took me a few hours, but I think I've got it. First up, Hulu has ordered Deadbeat, a supernatural comedy starring Tyler Labine (Animal Practice, Reaper) as a medium who goes to great lengths to help ghosts settle their unfinished business. Hulu has also ordered The Next Step, a reality-style teen drama following a group of dancers as they attempt to win a regional championship. Then there's The Hotwives of Orlando; it's a new parody series starring Casey Wilson, Angela Kinsey, Kristen Schaal, Tymberlee Hill, Danielle Schneider, and Andrea Savage and it follows the lives of six women living in Florida who fight over everything. It doesn't have a premiere date yet, but plenty of other shows do, so in an effort to make this as easy as possible, get out your calendars and mark down these premiere dates:

The Bridge (OG, not American Style): January 14, 2014

Deadbeat: April 9, 2014

Moone Boy Season 2: April 24, 2014

The Next Step: May 2014, official premiere date TBD

East Los High Season 2: Summer 2014, official return date TBD

Rev. Season 3: Summer 2014, official return date TBD

The Awesomes: Summer 2014, official return date TBD

Quick Draw Season 2: Fall 2014, official return date TBD

Behind the Mask Season 2: Unknown (helpful!)

[Hulu via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Drea de Matteo, who plays Wendy on Sons of Anarchy, has been upped to a series regular for the seventh and final season, set to air next fall. Tim has kindly offered to let me handle the reviews solo in order to avoid Wendy and her problems all together, but I don't know if that's really fair. No Tara, all Wendy? I'd rather go five rounds with Gemma. [TV Line]

... Michiel Huisman (Nashville), who took over the role of Daario Naharis in Season 4 of Games of Thrones, has been upped to a series regular for Season 5 even though HBO has yet to renew the series for a fifth season. [Deadline]

... Brandon Routh (PartnersChuck) will appear in at least two episodes of the new Fox comedy Enlisted, which premieres this Friday, January 10 at 9:30pm. He'll play Sgt. Brandon Stone, a soldier who's just returned home from overseas and who's a rival for Chris Lowell's character. [TV Line]

... Zoe Saldana will play the lead role in NBC's Rosemary's Baby miniseries. Negative points to HitFix for using the word "impregnates" in its headline. Excuse me while I go throw up in the corner. [HitFix]

THAT POLAR VORTEX THING SUDDENLY MAKES A LOT MORE SENSE

... Please enjoy this photo of Alexander Skarsgård naked in the snow on a toilet. [Instagram]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/15/2014

Season 4 : Episode 10

52 Comments
Follow this Show
Members