A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO
The deleted Game of Thrones scene that Tim shared yesterday made me go into Game of Thrones withdrawal. Although that's somewhat offset by Breaking Bad, it's not a complete fix. So I decided since I can't speed up time, I will at least try to make it feel like it's moving faster by reliving the past.

I looked at all the ratings of Game of Thrones by TV.com users and came up with a ranked list of the best to the worst episodes. If there was a tie I gave the episode with the most votes the win. Overall it seems like a good, representative list and makes sense although there were two upsets in my opinion. I thought it was interesting that "And Now His Watch Is Ended" took the top spot over the "Rains of Castamere" and "Blackwater." And even more suprising was "Blackwater" and its sixth place finish.

Here are the full results. Let me know your thoughts in the comments.

THE WINNER: And Now His Watch Is Ended - Episode 3.4

#2: Winter Is Coming Episode - Episode 1.1

#3: The Rains of Castamere - Episode 3.9

#4: The Wolf and the Lion - Episode 1.5

#5: A Golden Crown - Episode 1.6

#6: Blackwater - Episode 2.9

#7: The North Remembers - Episode 2.1

#8: Valar Morghulis - Episode 2.10

#9: Garden of Bones - Episode 2.4

#10: The Old Gods and the New - Episode 2.6

#11: The Bear and the Maiden Fair - Episode 3.7

#12: The Kingsroad - Episode 1.2

#13: Fire and Blood - Episode 1.10

#14: Lord Snow - Episode 1.3

#15: Valar Dohaeris - Episode 3.1

#16: What is Dead May Never Die - Episode 2.3

#17: Walk of Punishment - Episode 3.3

#18: You Win or You Die - Episode 1.7

#19: The Ghost of Harrenhal - Episode 2.5

#20: The Prince of Winterfell - Episode 2.8

#21: Kissed by Fire - Episode 3.5

#22: Baelor - Episode 1.9

#23: The Night Lands - Episode 2.2

#24: Mhysa - Episode 3.10

#25: Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things - Episode 1.4

#26: The Pointy End - Episode 1.8

#27: A Man Without Honor - Episode 2.7

#28: Dark Wings, Dark Words - Episode 3.2

#29: The Climb - Episode 3.6

THE LOSER: Second Sons - Episode 3.8

poll

47 Comments
Comments (47)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
For me Blackwater was the best as a complete episode but the scenes at the end of “And now his watch is ended’ was my favourite goosebumps moment.

Look at this wonderful small acting part. In the background you can see Hallyne the Pyromancer, the head of the Alchemists' Guild in King's Landing. He is responsible for the wildfire and while everybody else looks away, he is enchanted.

Flag
Loved The Bear and Maiden Fair!

It really plays on the duality of character. All have streaks of good and evil. Some more evil than others...

G.R.R. Martin even more so than anyone! (No further comment.

My vote is but a drop of piss in the gutters of Flea Bottom. But it's the thought that counts.

I agree with most users that The Red Wedding was an awesome episode, but it was too sad to get my vote.

Flag
Personally, I feel it makes for a richer story to have an heroic and villanous side within each character.

If that means the characters will killed as they cave into each side within their nature so be it. I care about them because of who they are while amongst the living, not because of how long they stay alive.
Flag
My fave ep ever has to be "The Bear and The Maiden Fair". I was waiting for it all season after reading the books, and I wasn't disappointed. I did love that episode more than any other. I don't know it's the whole bromance/romance between Jaime and Brienne that just made me love it.

My least favourite ep, however, was "Mhysa" I found myself really irritated with it. Daenerys body surfing was not how I pictured the finale of season 3. I can't wait for season 4 though. RED VIPER FTW! They picked a great guy to play him.
Flag
Part of me was really looking forward to "Dark Wings, Dark Words", if only to see how they were going to deal with all the Jaime & Brienne subtext at the sword fight near the river.

Despite the show avoided such a defining moment, it made it unique for them: they start in the middle of a bridge, only to fight each other at one extreme and end up a united front in the other.

I can always re-read Jaime's POV, but its rare to find a scene of the show that forshadows a relationship between two characters for the next two books the way this one did.
Flag
That is a fair enough comment to make. Although I have to say if you read the text of that scene in the book, it's all very sexual in nature. I swear it's so heated. It's hilarious. But at the same time, I rather hope that Jaime and Brienne kind of end up together in the end. I know it's not likely to happen, what with it being GRRM writing, but a girl can dream right?
Flag
Lets face it, it was 50 Shades of Grey with swords. By the end of that chapter one just knew Jaime was in troubles, they didn't have to go through Harrenhal to make things worse.

On the show, Brienne didn't quite get him in troubles until the bear pit scene, to make Jaime fall into that pit with her was the most effective way to cover the same issue: Brienne had just met the one man who couldn't walk away from her.
Flag
Well if we're being technical, she didn't MAKE him fall into the pit. He dived in to save her backside. Which is amazingly funny.
Flag
Personally I liked the red wedding but like when a read it in the book it leaves a sour feeling. I was so excited to watch it and loved every moment of it but after wards its like I really don't need to see them all die again. Hated the change from Jenny to Telisa but at the end when she was pregnant and died I felt so sad.

Flag
To me, the way they died didn't diminish the joy to learn they were having a baby, but give him a name didn't change the sadness over the fact he was dying along with his parents.

The pride over Talisa saying that she liked Catelyn didn't change the fact Lady Stark never got to hear it, but the fact she didn't doesn't diminish the look of approval she gave them before all hell broke loose.

It was that mix of the best and the worst that made the episode so emotional to me,
Flag
Maybe one of the reasons the climb and second sons are in the bottom is because most people wouldn't have voted for the episodes yet. Personally I loved the climb and the second sons definitely had its moments.
Flag
Amazing post!
Flag
thank you!
Flag
Blackwater impresses on so many levels. Amazing effects, epic battles, key plot points like the attempt on Tyrion's life and the Hound defecting. How can it not be at least top 2 with the Rains of Castamere?

If you really want to be impressed with Blackwater, check this out:

Flag
Oh, and GRRM wrote it and it was "the most expensive episode to film." The capitalist in me equates $ with awesome.
Flag
Although my favorite episodes remain my favorite episode regardless what the ratings or a poll would say, this is one titanic effort and it really does help with my Game of Thrones withdrawal. Great post!
Flag
Thank you. I got really into it on my saturday afternoon. I should probably get outside more.
Flag
I have no idea why people like "And Now His Watch Has Ended." episode so much it was a very forgetful and useless episode that didn't get us much along the story (most of season 3 was like that if you don't count episode 9).
I guess people like to see Dany and her dragons
Flag
I was far from forgetful they just posted a horrible picture of the episode.

It starts off with talking about magic and varys reveal. Its got the nightwatch fight at casters and sam rescuing gilly. The scheming between varys and the queen of thrones, The brotherhood without branners, cerci being talked down to by her father, Jamie dealing with his missing hand, bran dreams. And of course dany's epic freeing the slaves.

It pretty much had good to great scenes for every character thus no matter who you like there was something entertaining. Except for Rob and Jon but I love Jon and I didn't even miss him.
Flag
Most of the thing you are just useless boring scenes (like all season 3) with a lot of the characters I don't like or care about like Dany or Sam
Flag
The you should stop watching now because I've read the books and you're really going to hate the rest of the show.
Flag
Don't read the books than because Ned dies before in end of book 1. Robb is only in the book through his mothers eyes, she's a point of view character and tells his story. Oh and Robb dies halfway through book 3.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
They killed of most of the characters I do care about
Ned ,Catelyn and Robb believe me I am this close to stop watching
Flag
I agree for a change, "And Now His Watch Has Ended." is indeed the best episode so far. Although I love "The Old Gods And The New" too and "The Climb" wasn't so bad that it's second last, at least it's 'average', plus has some of the best lines in the show yet.
Flag
"A Golden Crown" is still my favorite.

"There is only one God and his name is death. And there is only one thing we say to death, NOT TODAY."
Flag
I love the one where Tyron tricks three people to find out the traitor.
That is Tyron at his best :) .I also love the one where Jaqen H’ghar killed the guard before he could tell Tywin about Arya that scene crack me up :)
Flag
There's an awful lot of season 3 towards the bottom. I have no idea what happened in 3.4 anymore.
Flag
Personally my favorite episode of the whole series is Rains of Castamere. I had been waiting for it quite some time and it managed to impress me... Even though I had set the bar quite high.

From Season 1... Favorite episode is Winter is Coming or Baelor. First episode is of course the one that sets the tone for the series and introduces most of the characters. The ninth episode was the one that told us just how heroes end up in Westeros.

Season 2... I have to admit that the only plotlines I remember properly from this season were Theon's and Tyrion's. Alfie Allen was surprisingly good and was (in my opinion) the MVP of the second season. Brilliant acting and a brilliant storyline. Blackwater however was my favorite episode because it focused only on King's Landing.

Season 3... Rains of Castamere... This show has a massive cast and the episodes like this, that focus on a smaller group of characters move the story more than the episodes that have everyone in it. This episode single-handedly provided a conclusion to the Starks vs. the Lannister war and it also concluded Jon's infiltration of the Wildlings.
More+
Flag
I agree 100%
Flag
I have an absolutely terrible memory for individual episodes. it probably doesn't help the matter that I was inebriated for the entirety of the first season.

highlights from the first season for me aria being trained in sword fighting and the littlest lannister's team up with the sword for higher dude to get him his freedom. oh and aria getting the help of that one dude who promised to kill people for her.

highlights from season two were pretty much all dany. her purchase of the slave warriors and subsequent betrayal of their old master and her teaming up with the long haired dude that betrayed his partners for and then even went on to fight to and successfully free some more slaves for her.

I pretty much hated the rains of castemere for two reasons: 1 they killed of two characters and one small one in that dude from rome. and 2 their doing so wasn't a surprise because an IMDB poster spoiled that they would die that season and so it was pretty clear that that was when when everything started going down.
Flag
"highlights from the first season for me aria being trained in sword fighting and the littlest lannister's team up with the sword for higher dude to get him his freedom."

Excellent choices.

"oh and aria getting the help of that one dude who promised to kill people for her."

That was season 2.

"her purchase of the slave warriors..."

That was season 3.

"I pretty much hated the rains of castemere for two reasons: 1 they killed of two characters and one small one in that dude from rome."

I think the dude from Rome is still alive. He took his new wife back to the bedroom before it happened. I don't recall if we ever saw him after that, but somehow I got the impression that they just locked him in before the massacre started and let him out the next day. Maybe someone else can let us both know if I got that right.
Flag
He is still alive. Walder Frey talks about having him (the Lord of Riverrun) captive.
Flag
Thanks.
Flag
Those Dany scenes you're describing are all from season three. I agree they're her best, and helped make season three my favorite.

I too got spoiled about The Rains of Castamere. There were just so many people talking about it. From all the bits and pieces that I accidentally read (I really tried to avoid them), it was quite easy to figure out what would happen.

Damn spoilerers. I wish a red wedding upon all of them. >:-(
Flag
My favorite scenes from season 3 are two Dany scenes. First there was the scene where she traded a dragon for the unsullied, and...well you know what happened. I especially liked when she started shouting commands to the unsullied in a Valyrian language. I was really impressed with Emilia Clarke there.

The other scene is the one that ended the season. It was so beautifully shot, with a perfect choice of music to go with it. I loved the expression on the face of that kid who was the first one to should "mhysa". (When I googled to find out how to spell "mhysa", I found a comment that said "why didn't it feel more epic?" I find that absurd. That's one of the most epic scenes I have ever seen, and I can't imagine a better way to end the season).

Yes, the red wedding was definitely spoiled by the book readers who write comments at this site. When the season started, they were all like "oooh the red wedding is coming" and "oooh I can't wait for episode 9". Episode 9 is called "The rains of Castamere". When Robb started talking about attacking Casterly Rock (the home of the Lannisters), I thought there would be a battle in the Castamere region, which Robb would lose. But it soon became clear that there wasn't enough time to get to a battle in Castamere in episode 9. In episode 8, Cersei explained that "The rains of Castamere" is a song about a family that was slaughtered by the Lannisters. Then I understood why the wedding that Catelyn, Robb and Talisa were going to attend is referred to as the red wedding.

I have also come across many other spoilers in the comments. Someone posted a HUGE spoiler about one of our favorite characters. That really pissed me off. The people who spoiled the red wedding were careless and probably didn't understand that they were giving away a lot of information just by using the word "red" and specifying episode 9. But this asshole just blurted out a huge spoiler with no regard for anyone.

Many other small things have been spoiled for me because I've been participating in discussions online, for example that Khal Drogo wasn't going to survive the infection, that Dany is going to "rise to power" (this was before her brother died), that Tyrion was going to marry Sansa, that book readers are laughing at the fools who think Ned Stark is going to kill Jaime Lannister, etc.

Because of all these spoilers, I have decided not to participate in the discussions next year.

More +
Flag
Awesome post. I'm impressed that the pilot has maintained a top 3 spot!
Flag
It's one of the best episode I've seen, it deserves to be in the top 3.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members