A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

It takes time to build a good bromance; its a delicate balance between male bonding and true camaraderie, which is a almost impossible to achieve outside the cop drama.

Game of Thrones, however, managed to build some of the greatest bromances of all times in a storyline that challenges male characters to fight over a crown, lands or money.

Its rare to find a Baratheon that hasn't win over a buddy, from Robert to Renly making friends was never a problem, even Stannis the thoughest one, found a most loyal friend in Davos Seaworth.

Thoros of Myr has two close friends in Ser Beric Dondarion and Anguy the Archer, Ser Jorah found a kindred spirit in Ser Barristan Selmy and frienemies Varys and Baelish share a bond as solid as the one between Bronn and Tyrion.

So, which one is your favorite bromance? Which ones could withstand anything and which ones are bound to fall apart? How could rivals remain friends when winter is coming? And why is that Tywin Lannister is the only high Lord without a buddy?

poll

Comments (26)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Well, this is not Beric & Thoros, but its the closest I could find.

Flag
Eddard and Robert had a great and complex bromance/friendship thing and I enjoyed it the most. Tyrion and Bronn are a close second.

This is off-topic but:
It would be great to see a spin-off about Robert's rebellion and the events leading up to it after this show ends. The Tower of Joy, The Laughing Knight, the duel between Robert and Rhaegar, Jaime Lannister saving the King's Landing, the Mad King. There's plenty of TV-worthy stuff in the history of Westeros.
Flag
I've always liked Ned & Robert; I was glad to see a little glimpse of their youth in Arya & Gendry, an idea of what they actually accomplished together in the short-lived alliance between Robb & Renly and that impromptu memorial held by Jaime & Brienne.

They have inspired so much, sometimes I can't believe they have been dead almost since the show began.
Flag
In all of these relationships I see one either a friendship, a love-hate relation or bromance. When does one start and the other stop? I think GoT is doing a great job in friendships (as long as they last....) and the love-hate relation, I'm not so sure I see bromances. A bromance is coming from both sides on a kinda level playingfield. On f.i. Stannis and ser Davos it is maximum of one side. Robert and Ned probably might have been a great bromance and probably the only one in the list for me at all. But, they are all great combinations of characters that give me lots of pleasure when they're together.
Flag
I feel the difference in status doesn't change a true bromance: Sure, Saladhor Saan is in a more equal footing with Davos, both being reformed pirates in service of a King, but the bromance between Stannis & Davos strike me as genuine as Tyrion & Bronn's.

(they still deserve a picture)
Flag
Yeah, that's where we differ. For me Tyron and Bron are pretty good friend, but no bromance there. I question if Stannis even sees Ser Davos evn as a friend or just as a loyal citizen (Jeez, there is no good translating for the word 'onderdaan' in English; everyone below the king is an 'onderdaan'). I would call Ser Davos loyal to what he believes is right for his king and that's not necessarily part of a bromance.
Flag
To me, Gendry & Hot Pie were a good friendship but Tyrion & Bronn are a bromance, Bolton & Frey are a good friendship but Varys & Baelish are the bromance, Ned & Jory were close but Robert & Ned were the bromance, etc.

Same reason Tyrion & Jon Snow were friends, but only Sam & Jon are the bromance, or Bran & Jojen are friends but Stannis & Davos are the bromance.
Flag
The problem with Tyrion and Bronn is that they aren't really friends. Tyrion is a lord and Bronn is his hired thug, a mercenary. Sure they get on well, but Tyrion often states how well he pays Bronn. If the Lannisters lost power and Tyrion couldn't pay Bronn, Bronn won't stay with him cause he's a laugh.
Flag
Love to agree to disagree. But, I'm going to ask my son when he comes back from uni next weekend. He is a huge fan, read all the books and is in my opinion an expert on bromances. Curious what he will say. Also, thanks for the post!
Flag
It's really a great achievement by George R. R. Martin having created so many complex characters and therefore very deep, interesting relationships between them, making it possible to not only show true "bromances" but also strong female figures in the same story.
Flag
The more the challenge for its a medieval society in which male characters're meant to rival one another, yet true friendship does occur.

Between both men and women (Catelyn & Brienne, Daenerys & Missandei, Margaery & Sansa, etc.)
Flag
Jamie and Brienne. Their relationship is akin to that of bros!
Flag
They are so versatile: one moment they could be a bromance, next thing you know they are a romantic comedy; one moment they could be a serious drama, the next a funny road trip; one moment they could be a gut-wrenching love affair, the next an epic action adventure and so on.

Brienne & Jaime do remind me of Ned & Robert as often as they remind me of Catelyn & Ned.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
for me. varys and littlefinger`s taunting conversations are the best.
Flag
better even, varys and tyrion.
Flag
For me, its the conversations between Bronn and Tyrion.

Bronn may not be as smart as Varys, but something about him makes their conversations always fun to watch.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    20/20
    NEW