A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO
Seeing the future changes it, it changes "it" because you looked at it, and that changes everything else. Its like having a massive source of spoilers inside your head. Case in point, Jojen Reed and his latest escapade to a future where he has a burning hand.

I don't think he's going to make it, at least he seems to think that is the case. I could hold on to the thought he may be wrong, but Karl Tanner's fate sealed the deal for me. I could hold on to the thought that he may change it, but he believes its all part of Bran's journey and he's not going to change his journey for anything. I could hold on to the books...but the books don't have anything on the subject, so I don't have a sight - that is spoilers - that may help.

Seeing the future can be a bad thing when it comes to your own death, but it can also be a good thing when you see the death of your enemies, the future meeting with what would become your best friend, your sister or your brother being safe, even at the most grim of circumstances. Seeing the future changes it, it changes "it" because you looked at it, and that changes everything else, even if you can't change the future itself.

poll

10 Comments
Comments (18)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Well they don't have exams in westeros I guess other wise best use would be to see the question paper in advance :P
Flag
nice philosophical topic Ionee24... I wouldn't want to possess a gift like that. This may sound a bit cliche, but whatever happens I know my life is great - because it's my life - just like my wife is the most wonderful girl, because she's my wife.
Flag
Good point, Jojen's life is great for him because he doesn't know any other. He doesn't know what it's like not to have the Sight because he has always had it, this is what normal is for him.
Flag
Tough decision between "Seeing your own Death" and "Seeing the fate of your loved ones", but I've chosen the latter.
In the end I wouldn't want to know how and when I was going to die, that would be creepy.
Flag
There's something to be said about seeing the end of the journey. Seeing one's own death is only a tragedy when the ending is a question mark. If one would know what Jojen does - about the end, about Bran, about his loved ones, etc. - maybe death wouldn't be such a tragedy.
Flag
Problem is, we wouldn't have a choice in the matter, unfortunately.
Flag
Good point. It doesn't seem like something he can turn off.
Flag
I think it all depends on how strong as a person you are and which fates await you and your loved ones.
Nobody wants to see and know that friends and family are going to suffer; them having happy lives and getting stronger through difficult times is far easier to accept.
Seeing your own gruesome death might make you feel afraid, but knowing when it is going to happen can also give you the chance to lead a fulfilling life until then.
Flag
I think that's what changes things for Jojen: he can endure Karl becuse he knows how he's goning to die, and its not at his hands. He knows what's going to happen to his sister, so he's not afraid she'd be raped. He knows how Karl is going to die, and its satisfying for him despite captivity.

For Jojen knows what Bran is meant to accomplish, his burning hand means nothing, a failed reunion with Jon means nothing too, the horror they are facing means nothing. He knows how it ends, and the end is worth it for him.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members