A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO
It hit me somewhere along the comments of On Pins and Needle, that Jaime Lannister's dyslexia manifests itself through his personal relationships, as well as his impairment to read fancy words.

The idea of a character that mixed up the notion of wife & sister growing up sounds as fascinating to me as the idea of a character that mixed up the written words. Jaime seems unique, not only because reading is a priviledge of high borns, but because, even among them, his siblings are privileged, which only points out Jaime's disability as something his House couldn't settle for.

As a child, Jaime was forced to read for hours before he could ride or use a sword. In his own words, he hated his father for it, but obeyed him anyway for he had already mixed up the notion of father & commander in his mind.

Thus Jaime must have learned in a similar way as modern day kids do. Whatever system he used to understand the words, however, Jaime didn't apply to his personal life, so his idea of male bonding - with Loras, Qyburn or Ned Stark - was as mixed up as his idea of wife and sister, or his idea of commander & father for he simply couldn't understand Karstark's feelings at the loss of his 2 soldiers sons.

It would take Brienne of Tarth for Jaime to re-arrange his personal relationships as if the letters of a book. By reading Brienne as well as he reads himself, Jaime figured out what she had with Renly wasn't that different than what he had with Cersei. By reading Brienne's code of honor, Jaime figured out she wasn't as different as Jaime himself.

poll

11 Comments
Comments (64)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Perhaps because of the dyslexia Jaime always felt odd too, he could relate to Tyrion better for - even though he didn't look different - Jaime knew what it was like to be different.
Flag
great post I have been thinking that is the reason for a change in jamie from season 2 , he a more flawed soul now . I pefer him as much as tyroin as they both feel manuliputated by the rest of the family. This is probably why Jamie and his brother won't leave kings landing as they are in state of flux.
Flag
I'm thinking Jaime is the Shae for Brienne's Tyrion: an outsider among King's Landing that would never leave her side as long as he perceives she's in danger.

Tyrion also stays due to a sense of honor - to Lady Catelyn, to her child, to what his family has done - just like Brienne does.
Flag
Jamie better be careful as his sister now is on the rampage probably hormones and the fact she lost her son
Flag
To be fair, he lost his son too.

And I can't wait to see the dyslexic reaction Jaime has to the loss of his son in light of Karstark's, Cersei's and Catelyn Stark's.
Flag
Brienne is the ONLY one who might save him - without her; he's sunk. That's why I won't stop 'shipping' them. :)
Flag
I'd say Jaime can't read personal relationship without her, he reflects "the letters" on Brienne and comes up with an emotional answer he might have never got without her: last season when she was about to be raped, this season when it came to promise to return the Stark girls, etc.

He was at loss with Loras because Jaime couldn't see Brienne's reaction to him after she found out about Renly, all he had was her reaction to him when Jaime told her last year.
Flag
That's a really good point - there's often a point for all of us where we might be in a situation we can't gauge, and so look to someone else for a signal as to what to do and how to react. As you say, Jamie needs that all the time and the only one now willing to be his 'interpreter' (for want of a better word) is Brienne.

I think it's the change in Jaime's personality that she's bringing about, at least when she's there, that's really revolting Cersei and not the loss of his hand. Cersei comes across as a narcisstic sociopathic personality and to see her brother/lover, especially her twin, changing from a similar state of narcissism to one of a more empathic individual, albeit when Brienne is there to help him, appears to truly revolt her. The danger is her deciding to 'remove' Brienne to get 'her' Jaime back.

Your take on it makes the whole relationship between the two even more intriguing and dynamic - I'm rooting for them even more now than before. :)
Flag
Then again, dyslexic Jaime throws children out of windows to please Cersei, he doesn't jump into bear pits to shield a maid from a bear. He has sex with Cersei whenver she feels like it, he doesn't lose his hand for a maiden's virtue. He puts Cersei above anything and everything, he doesn't plan to fulfill a promise made to Ned Stark's wife, etc.

Cersei is so used to see Jaime as an extension of herself that she has never taken the time to actually know the man. She doesn't even know who that man really is.

I don't think she would've taken kindly the actual story behind The Mad King's death either...
Flag
Exactly, Cersei's so narcissistic she probably didn't even realise that Jaime had his own personality anyway.....albeit with help. I was wondering if dyslexic Jaime could end up using whoever he's with as a guide for emotional responses - hence his appalling behaviour when his with Cersei and his better reactions when with Brienne?

I don't think she would've liked the true story either - I felt that scene was the most powerful of the last series. It was as if the admission of what really happened was dragged out of him.....
Flag
Follow this Show
Members