A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO (Returning mid-2017)
After the awesome Crow of Swords Poster put the Three Eyed Raven front and center - and brought the slightly less obvious Night's Watch = Crows reference to mind - promotional posters only keep me wanting for more. So I figure it could be fun to rank the Most Badass Character of next season based on nothing but the promotional posters released so far.

Here are the candidates:

1) Arya and The Hound (The Canines)
The Most Unlikely Dynamic Duo of Westeros, these two not only have contempt for The Brotherhood and the Lannisters in common; their survival instinct makes them a unique pair fit to survive a war zone, and their struggle makes them uniquely prepared to begin to understand - and, perhaps, rely on - one another.

2) Brienne and Jaime (The Kingsguards)
The Kingsguard that made a man out of Jaime and the Kingsguard that brought out the maid in Brienne. These two are the wildcards of King's Landing: Will they go back to serve Renly's wife and Joffrey's mother respectively? Will they stay a common front and fullfil their promise to return the Stark girls to Lady Catelyn any Stark that's still alive? Will they be each other's date to Joffrey's wedding or the last stand that will finally break them apart?

3) The wildlings
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned...or an army of former friends looking to get even after they take over the Wall. In case you have forgotten, the wildings are coming and they want Jon's head as much as they want to defeat the crows (a.k.a. The Night's Watch).

4) Jon Snow
The only Badass left on the Wall after his sworn brothers killed his Lord Commander, this season Jon must recover from his injures, single handle organize the defense of the Wall, defeat his ex girlfriend's army and...has anyone even told him his brother and stepmother were murdered at a wedding?

5) The Exiled Team
Don't let their condition fool you, so far they have recruited Ser Barristan Selmy, a former Second Sons's Lt. and an army of 208.004 former slaves and counting. At this rate, the wildlings are not the only thing Westeros is going to have to worry about.

6) The Queens
Don't let their sweet faces fool you, these ladies are cunning, resilient and fiercely loyal to their family. Problem is: they don't come from the same family. Will the upcoming wedding unite them or has Cersei underestimated Margaery all along? Will the bride strangle her mother-in-law in her sleep? Has Cersei finally found her match???

7) The Newlyweds
The only thing more cruel than the world trying to break two people apart is to watch two people that belong together trying to break themselves apart. The frustrating struggle between the only sympathetic Lannister that befriended Bran & Jon Snow, and the only Stark that could manouver her way into the royal family if only she would rely on her husband has just began.

8) The Lannisters
The King and the actual ruler of Westeros showdown has just began and, if last season is any hint, their scenes together will be as ruthless as they will be satisfying. Here's to more slapping and sending Joffrey to bed without dinner!.

9) Other
Honorary mentions go to Oberyn, if only because his poster actually makes him look Badass, and the Wicked Witch of Westeros, for the Lady Melisandre always looks scary to me.
poll

42 Comments
Comments (65)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I love Daenerys! she is considered the righteous heir of the throne who happens to have three dragons, and everyone loves her and wants to marry her because she's so beautiful and perfect. http://www.ranker.com/list/most-badass-ladies-from-game-of-thrones/ranker-of-thrones
Flag
BOOOOO all of them, I don't know what the show is doing to Stannis.
Flag
Now that you mention it, there was no poster of Stannis - or Davos! - which is a rare thing considering the one for Melisandre.
Flag
Plus, Tyrion defended an entire City wielding nothing but an axe (now that's badass!).
Flag
Tyrion is more of a manipulator than a baddass IMO.
Flag
Littlefinger is more of a manipulator than a badass, Melisandre & Margaery are more of a badass than a manipulator and Tyrion is plain badass IMO.
Flag
He killed a guy twice his size with a shield. You don't get much more badass than that.
Flag
Perfectly said. Inch for inch, there's no bigger badass than Tyrion. He's the best of both worlds.
Flag
Like Michelle Fairley said in the DVD commentaries: Tyrion is a Lannister with a conscience, which is a rare thing.
Flag
Amen.
Flag
Arya will kill them all, i hope, because jon snow is a pussy, poor starks, go go arya, shes the only one i trust not to die, everyone else isnt safe HAHAHAHAHAH

Flag
Personally, I'm voting for the Lannisters: they are resilient like few families and couldn't care less what the Seven Kingdoms think of them.
Flag
personally i claim for a dark stark with no remorse, for all the things that happened to the Starks they need someone with no remorse and no ones better than Arya which didnt yet form some kind of good values, well shes kind but i believe she will become dark and very unbeatable
Flag
I also feel that way about Rickon and Bran, no kid can go through what these three have been through without going dark.
Flag
Hell halt no fury like a sentence that makes no sense. Most of us hath no idea wtf you're trying to say.
Flag
And overnight Arya and The Hound have taken the lead. What do you say?

Will they win?
Flag
@MintberryCrunch I'm talking about belonging together, not romantic implications: romantic or not, Varys & Ros belonged together the same way Renly & Margaery belonged together, romantic or not.

In this show, a good match is recognized not only by the qualities each party brings to the equation, but the ability of each party to recognize the qualities the other one brings to the equation.

Ros & Varys were a fortunate match because they understood each other's value, same as did Renly & Margaery back in the day or Arya & The Hound are doing right now. Tyrion and Sansa aren't because they've failed to recognize such value (not because they aren't romantic).
Flag
Fair enough, but I would still disagree whether romantic or otherwise.

Ros and Varys do not belong together in any way, they barely interacted and if you think either thought of the other as more than a tool I think you are searching a bit.

Again Renly & Margaery don't "belong" together either, they again are simply using each other, not finding something in each other or any other fanciful fairy-tale reason.

Arya & The Hound don't offer each other anything but a means to an end, and Arya would preferably cave his head in if possible. He is on her list and she does not simply forgive because they are forced to spend time together. I admit her hatred dies down but they still do not form a partnership.

Personally I think you are looking for meaningful realationships where they don't exist, but perhaps we will just have to agree to disagree. Also I do see some benefits from certain pairings, it is mainly Varys and Ros that I find baffling, they really aren't anything to each other.
Flag
Personally, I think you're confusing meaningful relationship with a fortunate match (or giving romantic implications to "belonging together") and it's not the same thing on this show.

Unlike the rest of TV, marriage isn't based on love in Game of Thrones nor a fortunate match implies a meaningful relationship. A successful alliance depends solely on the ability to recognize each other's value IMO, nothing more and nothing less.
Flag
I am not trying to attach any meaning to these pairings, I think Arya and The Hound recognize no value in each other, it is just the product of misfortune that they are together.

Renly and Margaery saw cold power grabbing value in each other but I would never term them as belonging together.

Varys and Ros is the only one that really baffles me, I have never heard of anyone even mentioning them together or having any relationship (of any manner), perhaps as it is a TV show only scene they share and nothing of the sort happens in the books.

Anyway I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I am not trying to attack or anything, I just don't see any of these pairs as "belonging together" or being potentially "successful matches".
Flag
@ionee24 below:

You say that Ros can't manipulate Varys with sex but then commend her for not manipulating him? Hypothetically how could she manipulate him? Because she can't and wouldn't be able to as he is far more intelligent and better at playing the game.

Arya also couldn't manipulate The Hound, when were they passing through fire? Only around the Twins and she was trying to get to her family, as soon as this was over she was knocked out and didn't wake until well clear. Also he may be terrified of fire but she would find it near impossible to use that against him.

Ros saw value in gain for herself, not a symbiotic relationship but simply a route to a purpose, she misjudged badly and paid for it.

The Hound say value in terms of money for Arya which in turn could get him more wine. That is honestly all he cares about, if you are expecting them to partner up then you have misjudged their relationship.
Flag
Here's the thing, Ros can't manipulate Varys with sex but she could've manipulated him: she didn't.

Arya could manipulate The Hound with his worst fears, she knew them: and yet she didn't. Not even as they were riding through fire.

These women saw beyond the mutilated men to find a partner, their partners saw beyond an orphan girl to respond to the confidence. They see value in each other.
Flag
Ok, if that's how you chose to see it.

But just because they don't exploit them, as others did, does not mean they value them. The Hound knows she is valuable no matter the fate of her family, she is a Stark, that it why he keeps her.

Varys saw value, but only the value of having a spy close to Littlefinger, you seem set on the idea that Varys thought more of her but truthfully he is playing something much larger than her and she is but a tiny tool which is no longer available for his use.

Arya still hates The Hound, Varys never thought anything of Ros. The Hound does not care about Arya (or anything really) and Ros maybe (if you are stretching) saw hope in Varys but she was mistaken.
Flag
The Hound recognizes value in Arya even after her Lord brother has been killed and what's left of her family is captured or broke.

Right now, Arya is as poor as Ros was when she became a prostitute, yet neither The Hound nor Lord Varys see the collection of profitable holes that Littlefinger or Theon saw.

The Hound and Lord Varys saw a partner where others would only see an orphan girl, Arya and Ros saw an opportunity where others would only see a mutilated man.
Flag
@ionee24 below:

The Hound recognises literal value in Arya, he isn't bringing her along for moral support but rather that he knows she is valuable to many people. She would still leave him the moment she got the chance.

Varys and Ros again is such a weird partnership, Ros died because she was being treacherous to Littlefinger and Varys did nothing to help her, because she was but a minor part of Varys and Littelfinger's overall game plans and not worth any risk on Varys' part, which shows how little he actually valued her.
Flag
If Arya and The Hound recognize novalue in each other she would be dead by now.

Then again, because Varys & Ros recognized value in each other is that Ros is dead, so that could be a double edge sword.
Flag
Whilst I enjoy the article I must disagree on Tyrion and Sansa belonging together. They have never remotely belonged together, their marriage is simply a power holding move by Tywin, nothing more.

My vote goes for The Hound and Arya, but again some of these 'pairings' are simply stops in the road for much bigger stories.
Flag
To be fair, Tyrion and his wife do not belong together like Jaime & Brienne do, but rather like Renly & Margaery did.

Much like Arya & The Hound any sucessuful alliance rely on the parties to recognize each other's value in a way Sansa is unable to do with her husband.
Flag
As for the Lannister brothers, I don't feel its a one or the other scenario: Tyrion is still Jon's first friend, Bran's only ally and, as of last season, Sansa's one true husband. Any Lannister would be right to question where his loyalties lie.

Jaime, on the other hand, antagonized Jon as much as he antagonized Lady Catelyn, didn't mind about Bran any more than the next direwolf and got along with Ned as badly as he got along with Robb. No Lannister should've reason to question him unless they would've seen him with Brienne.

To me, Tyrion is sympathetic in his own right because of who he is and what he stands for, regardless of whom he was married to. But Jaime is a matter of perspective: he wouldn't be nearly as sympathetic as he is now unless the audience would've seen him through Brienne's eyes rather than Ned Stark's.
Flag
And, now that I think about it, her perspective wouldn't be nearly as objective as Ned was if it weren't because Brienne was still hung up on Renly at the time.

(I've never trusted Cersei's & Tyrion's perspective of Jaime because they love him).
Flag
Can't pick one. Each one is a wild card in his/her own way.
Flag
Now you understand why I had no choice but to put them in pairs (and even then is a tough call!)

They are all awesome IMO.
Flag
"... the only sympathetic Lannister ..."
I think after last season we can't be this decisive in that regard anymore.
Anyway, on topic:
If I have to choose the most badass duo from the ones you suggested, I'm going with Brienne and Jaime. For one, they are one of the best character pairings in fiction, ever, and two, they just look badass on those posters.

However, I'd put together these two:

Now that's epic!
Flag
I know. Shame that Tormund Giantsbane is on the opposite side as Jon! At the very least this wildling would've made a better crow than Jon a wildling last season.

As for Jaime, I can't say he exactly befriended Bran and Jon like Tyrion did in season 1, but this Lannister has grown quite sympathetic ever since he started acting more Tarth than Lannister.

Plus, I find endearing that Jaime basically got to live the story he created for his little brother up to the road, the rapists and a dinner (at Bolton's). Bonus points because, on the show, Tysha was an actual whore where Brienne is a proverbial orphan now that Catelyn and Renly are dead.
Flag
For Jaime in comparison with Tyrion it's a two way street. As the one becomes more sympathetic, the other one becomes less so... He's probably
one of two characters - the other being Jon - that lost the most sympathies over the course of the (book) series, yet that's only so because they started out with so many.

Then Mr. Martin came and wrought his devilish witchcraft...
Flag
I'll reply above because I feel the Lannister brothers are another subject in its own right.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Well, they all look badass too me!
Flag
Bran and Daario didn't make the cut, but that doesn't mean their posters weren't awesome too.
Flag
I mean, just look at those faces!

When did Bran grew so fierce? (I blinked and that was it)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members