A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

I was going to write only 5, but In the Light of the Seven I figured a Stranger like this deserved better, so here's my spoiler free reasons why Arya should be The Best Kid Character of 2013.

7) She could be your family
It is hard not to relate to Arya during that awkward stage in which you're neither a child nor a teenager, no longer a boy's best friend yet not quite his girlfriend either, know better than to trust adults yet not quite to dismiss them as authority figures; Arya sounds exactly like the kid sister you grew up with, the awesome friend that always came up with a plan at school, or the daughter you actually got (instead of the one you wished for).

6) She brings out the softer side of Tywin
You know that Tywin who loved dragon stories? The Tywin that taught his son how to read? The Tywin that remembers his daughter fondly or knows how to encourage the underdogs, even if his men are doing the damage for him? Well, his children never knew that Tywin either. You know why? Because that Tywin only showed up whenever Arya was around. She brought out a side of him no one has been able to bring out this season (and I miss it).

5) Burn in Hell!
Arya could stand up to R'hllor himself if she must to, but The Brotherhood chose Beric for champion and The Hound was spared where Micah was killed. At this point, Arya didn't care much about honor, she never cared about gold and couldn't care less about their Red God, but she used to believe in Westeros's justice system and the system failed her, just as it could've failed her in modern days.

4) Valar Morghulis

The Red God demands it, Jaqen once said. And Arya wasn't afraid to bargain with Jaqen's life for her escape, to stand up to Thoros because of her fate and to fight Melisandre for Gendry all by herself. The Red Priests and Priestess have stared at her since Arya saved Jaqen from the flames, and this orphan girl has stared right back at them.

3) Far away, so close

Every time Arya makes it back home a Stark dies, so far she has seen her father beheaded, her household slaughtered and Stark bannermen killed left & right, but nothing ever prepared her for the screams of her mother just one door away, or her brother's direwolf final breath and the sight of her brother, her own big brother, being carried out as a trophy to fill her with nightmares all over again.

2) Not Today

Nightmares don't make a person and truma doesn't make a girl. As her dance master told her, Arya stares at Death and tells it “Not today”. As Yoren once taught her, Arya recites her list every night hoping that would bring her peace every morning. As Jaqen showed her, Arya doesn't let a face define her identity. Their examples are alive and well within her, Arya carries these men with her just as she carries Ned, Catelyn and Robb with her. As long as she's alive, part of them will keep on living.

1) Winter is Coming
Arya knows her words, she knows their meaning and she prepares for the winter just like her father told her. She hold on to every hurt, for every hurt is a lesson and every lesson makes you better in order to face the long winter ahead.

So, what are your Top 7 reasons to like her? What are your Top 5? Use this forum to share your thoughts about the character, or feel free to attack it if your perceive Arya as the most popular character on the show.
Comments (36)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Tywin may have won Blackwater but Arya has just won the poll!

Congratulations to Arya Stark: The Best Kid Character of 2013!!!
Flag
can't help but agree... Arya is great
Flag
And she gets greater every season!
Flag
I voted for Arya for many of the same reasons you listed, ionee24. She also demonstrates many of the character traits that I find appealing.
Flag
In many ways, its a reverse Cinderella story.

Arya is basically a Princess - sister of a King - forced to dress like a beggar and serve the men that killed her father, but, instead to go to The Ball with the son of a King, she escapes the torture chamber with him.

Arya is not afraid to be poor, she's not afraid to be alone, she's not afraid of death despite she no longer enjoys the comforts of the status in which she was born (her only fear was not being able to go home and she faced it at Red Wedding this year).
Flag
Arya has one major flaw (which actually makes me love her more as I love flawed characters), she is as spoiled as her sister is (however as she is a bit more tomboyish that trait isn't as obvious).

They don't make it as apparent in the show as in the books but my point is that everything around Arya is about Arya. She cares for Gendry and Hot Pie, that much is obvious, but she is absolutely astonished that they don't share the same desires as she does (getting to Starks or their bannermen). That shows you that a "royal" (what is a correct title for a daughter of a Lord?) child is not used to people that don't agree with her.
Flag
I wouldn't call the homeless orphan that Arya was at that point spoiled; she wasn't a beggar at Harrenhal because she had a job, but her position was more precarious than Hot Pie's or Gendry's because her function wasn't as relevant as a smith or a baker.

I can't blame Book Arya for wanting to get out of there before she would end up like Pia, but I can't blame Gendry or Hot Pie for wanting to stay where there were for at least they had a roof over their heads.
Flag
She's my favorite female character on Game of thrones, even before Daenerys. She's an amazing actress.
Flag
I'd say Arya presents more of a challenge because the character isn't mischievous, nubile or particularly strong yet she plays opposite characters as wicked as Jaqen, as seductive as Melisandre or as strong as The Hound without losing her ground.
Flag
Staff
I love Arya! Great reasons to vote for her :)
Flag
I love all the Starks kids, I still feel Arya is the Best Kid character over her brothers Bran and Rickon. And even over other interesting kids like Shireen or Meera.
Flag
Staff
I agree. I think she's a super interesting character.
Flag
True, maybe its because of her childhood, maybe because the people she encounters on the road, maybe because of the effect she had on Tywin but she's one of the most interesting characters along with Jaime, Melisandre and Beric's gang.
Flag
As a book and HBO show fan I can say she is simply amazing in many ways, and will be for years to come I hope. Great character ;o)
Flag
I know I am probably one of the few to say this... But I find her character extremely annoying!
Flag
Arya is the best character in the whole series! Her scenes are always exciting, a nice change from all the political backstabbing of most of the characters. Wonderful character , wonderful actress.
Flag
Maisie has been amazing opposite serious actors like Charles Dance and Sean Bean.

This year, her character had enough weight to introduced Thoros and Anguy and she did a great job with it too.
Flag
Feel free to express yourself even if you're all alone: that's exactly what Arya does!
Flag
nuh, I feel free to express myself just because...
Flag
Maybe it's the head of your statemement: "...I'm probably one of the few..."made you sound insecured of your own opinion.
Flag
What you've just said, it's right and I agree with you! Everyone should feel free to express themselves even if they are all alone. What you initially wrote though (Maybe it's the head of your statement: "...I'm probably one of the few..."made you sound insecure of your own opinion) doesn't support your most recent comment. It actually defies it and goes against the sentiment of what this site is all about.
Flag
Like I've said: Feel free to express yourself even if you are all alone. This is not the kind of site to offend people just because of their opinion (mainstream or not).
Flag
I wrote '' I'm probably one of the few...'' simply because most people like her character and I don't. I am 'one of the few' because my dislike is not mainstream approved and that is all right. Like everyone, I am entitled to my own opinion even if it is not a popular one. Don't be obscure and don't try to post 'smart' remarks about people you don't know. If I was insecure about my own opinion, I would not have written anything. I would have kept quiet. I would not have had the need to write down my opinion if I was insecure about it. Thank you though for highlighting what might have been; Or the fact, why I express my self even if I am all alone, has nothing to do with Aria. However, your efforts are greatly appreciated and do hope you are not baffled by anything I just wrote.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members