A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

It's one of my all times favorite show, the writing is impeccable, the storyline always re-invent itself and I can never tell when does the epic begin and the intimate tale of each character ends, but why do I believe Game of Thrones it's The Best Overall Series of 2013 in a season where Haven is winning, Breaking Bad had its series finale or Orphan Black had its breackthrough premiere?

7) Thoros of Myr and his Merry Men
A breath of fresh air amidst R'hllor fanatics, this army of commoners stole 2013 with their particular brand of humor, their own take on the high borns of Westeros and an odd tendency to lie to Ned Stark's daughter.

Very practical when it came to take decisions, they bargained with gold in order to feed the people; Anguy was as charming as he was proficient, Beric as tormented as he was loyal and Thoros a surprisingly better Priest than Melisandre herself. Quickly to sell out Gendry as they were to find a home for Hot Pie, they obeyed the Red God even if it freed The Hound.

6) Granny Tyrell and her great comedic timing
In a show as intense and gritty as this one there's almost no room for humor, which is why the Lady Olenna of House Tyrell was a welcomed change of pace from Ser Bronn of Blackwater. Her take on Margaery's newfound family tree was so hilarious it inspired a fan made rom-com trailer of its own.

And that's aside Tormund sex-ed lessons for first timers, Talisa scene telling Martyn Lannister when does exactly her husband turn into a werewolf or Hodor repeated hodoring before meeting Sam.

5) Dracarys!
Already a grieving widow and an exhiled Princess, this was the year Daenerys became a conqueror. After a unique spin on her love story - and her family history courtesy of Jaime Lannister - I was expecting a unique spin as a conqueror as well, and the show deliver it in her simple yet unfulfilled wish to become a mother.

Daenerys was never going to be Stannis, Ser Barristan and Jorah both agreed she wasn't her eldest brother either, but the girl that would never hold her baby in her arms got to be held by the thousands of people she never gave birth to, thus the Mother of Dragons embraced the responsibility and the joy to become Mother of the Realm.

4) The Ultimate Break-Up scene
Forget amateurs from teen shows or the will they-won't they scenarios, Jon Snow and Ygritte gave a whole new meaning to irreconcilable differences this year. Their break-up scene was gut-wrenching because the audience was complicit in how torn they were and the characters were complicit in keeping it a secret from Mance's army and the Night's Watch themselves.

Ygritte knew who Jon was and Jon knew Ygritte for who she was but, no matter how loyal they were to their feelings, he had to go back and she had to hunt him down for it, which left the viewers as distraught as the characters themselves.

3) Brienne fought a bear!
Long past the time she grieved for Renly, Brienne moved on almost without knowing it due to her pledge to Catelyn Stark. She tried her best to be guarded, but the Kinglsayer was able to read her better than he could read any book and her broken heart started healing as slowly as his severed hand did.

It was only ironic that, by the time she looked ready to live again, Locke's men threw her into a bear pit to die. I've never seen anything as brave as Brienne fighting that bear with a wooden sword, just as I've never seen a man fall for someone as visually as Jaime Lannister fell to share her fate.

2) Jaime does a 180°
I'll go on record to say that I hated him at his best: the brighter his hair, the more alluring he was, the more charming his speech the more I hated the character.

You've got to understand, it's something that never happens with the seductive "bad boy" type so I was proud of him in a way. And yet, I was never as proudest as when Jaime sit on a tub, without his sword hand, emotionally as naked as he was the day that he was born, to share this one genuine moment of honesty that re-defined the character forever.

And, because it had to be Brienne he shared it with and because it had to be 2013 - and, yes, because part of him still wishes for Ned's approval - is that Ser Jaime's inner journey made this the Best Overall Series of 2013.

1) The Red Wedding
I read the books so I knew what I was getting into, but the Blackfish's reaction to the spinsters attention, the look on Talisa's face upon the bedding ceremony, even the jolly good fellow that was Walder Frey & Lord Bolton right until the very moment the slaughter begins made me forget for a moment and that moment made me gasp and scream and cry as if for the first time.

I wasn't ready for Talisa, I wasn't ready to watch Catelyn Stark's eyes dim with grief as she losses her first born, I was just not ready. And that made for an unforgettable moment, not only for 2013 but for as long as I live.

So, which are your favorite moments of 2013, to quote Ser Jorah which ones you'll remember long after you forget your mother's face? Which are the ones that made you scream? Which are the ones you wish would've never happened?

poll

71 Comments
Comments (71)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think the voting here should be for the second most unforgettable GoT moment of 2013, because there's absolutely no doubt that nothing can be more unforgettable than the dreaded Red Wedding.
Jamie's redemption story, which began during the emotionally powerful bathtub conversation with Brienne was definitely the standout moment of Season 3, along with the emergence of Daenerys as "Breaker of Chains". (The moment she says "Dracarys" still gives me goosebumps).
Flag
I'd say Jaime's journey was the standout intimate moment of season 3 and Dracarys the standout epic moment, with the Red Wedding as the perfect combination of standout intimate and epic moment.
Flag
Best Overall Series of 2013? Try Best Overall Series of Ever. Name me one show that even comes close to being as good as Game Of Thrones.
Yes, there are great series: X-files, Lost, Star Trek, Breaking Bad, Battlestar Galactica, (just to name a few) but AS good as GoT? In my opinion maybe BSG. But even then....
If you had a choice to watch only one show, GoT or ________, and after your choice you could never watch the show you didn't pick, I think most people would choose GoT.
Flag
Breaking Bad and Firefly. AS good as Game of Thrones.

But I'll admit that Game of Thrones is right up there with those two.
Flag
It truly has everything:
  • the strongest female characters (Catelyn,Margaery, Daenerys just to name a few),
  • the best redemption arcs (Jaime's, The Hound's, Ser Jorah's),
  • the best revenge plots (Arya Stark's, Robb Stark's, Catelyn's just to name a few),
  • the most epic love stries (Jon & Ygritte's, Renly & Loras's Dany & Drogo's just to name a few)
  • the greatest heroes (Ned Stark, Tyrion Lannister, Ser Davos Seaworth)
  • And the most amazing stories ever.
Flag
even the conversation between lord Varys and lord Baelish in "The Climb" will be evergreen for me ..
".. Chaos isn't a pit , It's a ladder"
Flag
The depth of that conversation is beyond comparison. "..Some are given a chance to climb but they refuse, clinging on to love or Gods or their realm...." EPIC !!!
Flag
That scene is my personal number 10 on the list!
Flag
Brilliant season for GoT, but I'm still voting for Breaking Bad.
Flag

BOBTfish. I think the show is VERY Anti-misogynist. The only Misogony is from the female charecters and the writing. The poor, stupid men can never match the cunning and ability of the women! It is EXTREMELY feminist, with the idea that ONLY women are intelligent enough to do anything correctly or rule. You are proud of that? I think it's disgusting.... if they treated women like they treat men on this show, you and your liberal mates wouldn't be cheering. The show is sexist. I love the show. I LOVE it, but it's sexist. BTW, Jon and Ygritte were my favorite part by far.
Flag
If anything, is only characters like Margaery and the lady Olenna that give me the impression men aren't exactly in charge when it comes to their Houses.

For the most part, Catelyn shared the burden before she carry on in Ned's name, Talisa was Robb's partner just like wildling Ygritte was Jon's or Priestess Melisandre was Stannis's.

Gendy may not have felt like it, but he was Arya's equal just as much as Brienne was Jaime's. They have different roles but not different importance.
Flag
There's a lot of complaint on this site about weak female characters and the implied misogyny of female characters in shows often being the most hated in polls etc. It's worth pointing out in GoT many of the strongest characters are female- Cersei, Brianne, Catelyn, Arya, Ygritte, Osha; But most of all Dani.

Her story arc has been as powerful and dramatic as any I've seen on TV. The acting from Emilia Clarke has been superb, gradually over time gaining the confidence and power incident by incident (So many shows have a character completely change personality due to one moment of drama), until by the end of season 3 she was truly majestic and totally unrecognisable from when we first met her. When the show first started she was seen as the "eye-candy", but now, while she is still beautiful, obviously, I think most viewers judge her on her character- her power, her sense of morality etc. I haven't read the books (no spoliers please!!), but, with the Stark house decimated, she is the one I am rooting for
Flag
absolutely right, it should also be noted that on the internet in general, not just here, you also see a lot of people complaining about the stronger female characters and calling them all kinds of gendered insults. Just for instance; I can't believe how many times I've seen Catelyn called a female dog, just because she's calling out her son or husband and their enemies on their bull and because she's not a perfect saint when it comes to her own judgment calls that are motivated by her desire to protect her family. I mean I can even complain about Jack Bauer for making bad judgement calls, but that doesn't mean I think he's a bad person/character. It's sad that so many can't see these characters as just as/more complex than male heroes/villains. And of course this problem is worse in most other shows
Here's hoping that this show continues to inspire more praise than criticism in this regard :)
Flag
I've always felt Catelyn just wanted for Robb & the Frey girl what she basically created for Jaime & Brienne.

From this perspective, I can't say she made a bad judgement call. At all.
Flag
For me the episode where Jaime laid bare, in every way, his soul in the tub. I just cried buckets for him at that point and that was something I never thought I'd do for that man. Now I'm definitely team Jamie, just hope the series doesn't follow the books faithfully.
Flag
I may have been a bit unfair with Jaime in the sense he has always been an honest character, but he had a tendency to use honesty as a weapon until that bath.

The scene served as a perfect parallel for cleansing his soul as he was cleansing his body, if only because it was the first time Jaime was honest for honesty sakes.
Flag
Oh no, I completely agree with you. I felt the same about him right up until that scene; I'd been softening a bit but then I'd always think 'oh he's up to something, he always is. His honesty is his weapon.' But then that scene was just him pleading for someone to see him, not as the Kingslayer, the Kings Hand, or whatever else he was called, just broke my heart for him. At that moment you see him as he really is.

I just hope that redemptive Jamie stays when confronted with his scheming sister/lover Cersei. I also hope that Brienne stays around as I truly think she's his conscience. Not sure what Cersei will make of the new Jamie.....

As I said, I really hope they don't follow the books too faithfully. I've read them and they're so depressing.
Flag
To me, its the person Jaime chose to see him for who he is.

He could've picked anyone: Lady Catelyn, Robb, Cersei, his father, King Robert, even Ned Stark himself. Instead, he chose someone he tested relentlessly ever since they first met.

Brienne giving him back his name must have been one of the most rewarding scenes of 2013.
Flag
It's probably been THE best scene for me through the entire three seasons. I like your comment about how he chose Brienne and had tested her over and over - I had never thought of it like that, but it makes a lot of sense and explains why he told her.
Flag
Best episode of any TV show...........ever.
Flag
The way I see it, its always better to use a community post than to fill the list page with all the reasons I chose one over the other.

I'm sure there are plenty more reasons to choose Game of Thrones too, these are just my chosen reasons for it.
Flag
I'm a major game of thrones fan but I hate comparing apples and oranges and thats what awards categories like ''best overall series'' do.

There's something seriously wrong about comparing 'game of thrones' to 'breaking bad'. Two great shows with practically nothing in common. These awards categories need to be revamped.
Flag
It's easy to compare art to art, music to music, acting to acting. Genres don't matter.
Flag
I wouldn't say it's all that easy to compare Mozart to Led Zepplin, or Van Gough to Damien Hirst
Flag
No to mention, its almost unfair to compare Game of Thrones to other fantasy shows.

Just look at what happened at the Favorite Fantasy Drama poll.
Flag
maybe you don't understand what I mean. so much more goes into a season of game of thrones. the production teams face different challenges and have different goals. game of thrones has a cast of many characters, and extras, multiple life sized sets, archaic and medieval props and wardobe. it has its own languages and ethnic groups. there is hardly anything on tv that can make a fair comparison, because there is hardly any show that apsires to that which GOT achieves. but yea, you watch both shows on a tv, and both have music, actors, art and drama. I don't like one show better than the other. I like both shows but for different reasons.
Flag
I agree with this. GoT, Breaking Bad have both been excellent this year. Also, for me at least, Person of Interest has excelled itself this year and raised itself above the standard of an action adventure show. However, comparing these three is, as you say, almost impossible. You just have to go with your personel favourite. I haven't looked at the awards recently, but if I remember correctly, they have sub-categories as well as the overall series award.
Flag
Yeh I agree. You definitely have to seperate comedy programmes as there's no way to compare GOT to something like The Big Bang Theory, you get and want something completely different from each. And yes, POI is has been much better this season.
Flag
To me, its a mater of scope: Breaking Bad is an intimate tale in its own right - a one man journey from teacher to drug lord - Game of Thrones is an epic in which intimate stories of seeveral Lords collide in a collective story of Westeros's impending extinction level event.

As much as I love these characters, sometimes I want to yell at them "What are you doing?! The White Walkers are coming! The WHITE WALKERS are coming!!!"
Flag
I got the box set for Christmas and was re-watching the first season. Some of my sympathy for the Stark's dissapated, seeing their stubborness and lack of foresight, especially Caitlin and Ned, bring about their own troubles. very frustrating haha
Flag
The thing that stuck with me from the first season box set were the audio commentaries of the Stark kids (they really do sound like modern day kids) and the audio commentary between Mark Addy, Lena Headey and Coster-Waldau.

The second season's commentaries made me laugh so hard I can't tell which was the best.
Flag
Now that I think about it, The Hound also gets an honorary mention for 2013 because he had something to say for a change.

And he was clear, articulated and very convincing about it (Who knew he had it in him?)
Flag
Breaking Bad kick's GOT's ass anyday.
Flag
these shows have less in common than cuttlefish and jaguars. what exactly are you comparing them based on? breaking bad is a show about a guy who finds out he's dying and loses it. game of thrones is a show about a world of dragons, heroic men and women vying for the throne of westeros. what the hell do they have in common? "basketball kicks auto racing's ass anyday?" bananas and cantaloupes.
Flag
Hahahahaha, as a huge fan of breaking bad, youre funny, granted this year with Breaking Bads spectacular Final season it may be a LITTLE better then GoT this year. But last year Breaking Bad wasnt half as good as Game of Thrones, same with the year before.

BB Fans need to stop worshipping it, seriously, great acting, writing and twists yes, and a fantastic ending, but it is in NO way the best series of all time, please, your turning people away from it, not drawing them in.
Flag
I just assumed a Breaking Bad viewer would've already made one of these by now. This can't be the only "Top Reasons to vote for..." out there

(its a great outlet to tell all the things we love about a show or a character)
Flag
Other: Arya's first murder =D
Flag
It was her second murder actually. Her first was in season 1 when she stabbed the boy with Needle following King Robert's death.
Flag
that was self-defense, not murder, but I appreciate the attention to detail.
Her first kill back in season 1 was certainly important :)
Flag
It was just like her mother's last murder!

I guess I shouldn't be moved by a mother & a daughter that kill people using the same weapon, but when it comes to Catelyn & Arya Stark I make an exception (it was The Red Wedding, after all).
Flag
that is a fantastic parallel :D I can't believe I missed that
Well spotted :)
Flag
To be fair, Catleyn's victim was standing when she cut her neck, but Arya was much shorter than her mother when she did the same.

They both were just equally distraught though. Like mother, like daughter.
Flag
[I'm assuming no other explanation is needed, but if it is I'll just add that she's always been my favorite character in the whole damn series and I've been waiting for her to straight up kill someone since the coup at the end of the first season]
Flag
First of all, big fan of Game of Thrones. It's one of the best acted and best written shows around.

Second, my heart is with Justified this year. I can go back and rewatch it no problem without a massacre of it's characters which makes me cry like a baby.
Flag
Honorary mention goes to Ramsay (Thanks for the nightmares!)

And both wargs Orell and Bran because there should be more of them IMO.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members