We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

With "The Lion and the Rose," HBO's Game of Thrones said goodbye to one of television's all-time greatest jerks. King Joffrey Baratheon, King of the Assholes Andals and the First Men, was murdered at his own wedding after terrorizing Westeros for almost three full seasons as the occupant of the Iron Throne. But admit it: You miss the little guy and his lecherous ways. He made the show fun and gave us someone we could agree to hate. So now that he's got funny painted rocks over his eyes, who do we ban together to hate?

Thankfully, Westeros has a seemingly endless supply of rascals, deviants, and flat-out annoying characters who deserve our loathing. I've listed the worst of the bunch* below and assigned them each a rating of one to five Joffreys based on how terrible they are, five being the worst. Check out my rankings, then vote in the poll to help determine Westeros's worst!

*For the sake of thoroughness, I've also included two characters who've been killed since Joffrey's death,  because they demand our hatred from beyond the grave.

Tywin Lannister

Why you should hate him: He killed a deer! And he's the puppet master behind all the Lannister power. Despite his concerns about his family's legacy, he constantly belittles his children by calling them worthless wastes of royalty. Oh, and he openly admitted to almost aborting Tyrion... after Tyrion was born. Also, what's with the constant sourpuss face? It's been five winters since this dude has even understood what "smile" means. 

Joffrey rating: 

Locke

Why you should hate him: This total A-hole works for that D-nozzle Roose Bolton, which automatically makes him a terrible person. He cut off Jaime Lannister's hand even though he wasn't supposed to harm Jaime, prompting Roose Bolton to think about how big of a jerk he was—and when Roose thinks you're being a putz, that means you're the worst. Locke was sent north to kill Bran and Rickon Stark, but was offed by a Bran-controlled Hodor in "First of His Name," so we can't actively hate him for any longer, unfortunately. 

Joffrey rating: 

Shae

Why you should hate her: UGH SHAE. She gets my vote! This dumb lady humped her way up from being a lowborn whore to being Tyrion's bang buddy, but she can't seem to figure out how the politics of King's Landing really work. Even though she was told numerous times that she'd be murdered if she was seen in Tyrion's bedchambers, she continually crawled through the window/slipped through a skylight in the ceiling/slinked out the drain and into the Dwarf's room because she supposedly couldn't stay away from her "little Lion." Oh yeah, and she kept calling Tyrion "little Lion." When Tyrion tried to explain the gravity of the situation, she whined about him not loving her enough. And in case that's not enough reason to hate her, she slapped Bronn when Tyrion sent her away. The nerve!

Joffrey rating: 

Theon Greyjoy

Why you should hate him: Theon's the horny highborn whose parents didn't want to deal with, so they shipped him off to a foster family to let him be someone else's problem instead. The Starks adopted Theon and raised him as one of their own, and then Theon betrayed them and sacked Winterfell at his first opportunity. He used to be quite the creep with the ladies, luring lowborn gals with no self-esteem into long sea voyages just so he could get it in, feeling up his own sister during a horsie ride, and ogling anything with boobs. Oh, and he beheaded that Stark bannerman with the cool beard braid, but took a few whacks to do it. He's been less of a dick since he had his own dick cut off, but don't be fooled: Theon is trash. 

Joffrey rating: 

Karl Tanner

Why you should hate him: He took control of Craster's Keep and then killed Lord Commander Mormont! And just to show how horrible he could be, he used Mormont's skull as a wine goblet while letting his men rape their cold, black hearts out with Craster's sister-wives. He also said some mean things to Bran and threatened sexual violence against Meera. All that, AND he's a Night's Watch deserter. This guy came out of nowhere to become one of Westeros's worst, and I don't care if he's dead. I still hate him. 

Joffrey rating: 

Roose Bolton

Why you should hate him: He passed along the Lannisters' regards to Robb Snow by sticking him in the heart with a sharp object at the Red Wedding, instantly ending the princess fantasies of schoolgirls everywhere. And he wasn't just the messenger—he was instrumental to the success of that whole plan, betraying Robb and House Stark and making him one of the worst human beings ever to walk the face of whatever planet this show takes place on. Also, I don't like the look of his stupid face! 

Joffrey rating: 

Sansa Stark

Why you should hate her: This uppity princess has all the annoying trademarks of an overprivileged mean girl: She thinks she's better than other people, she swoons at the slightest whiff of a prince (even if it's Joffrey), and she'll rat out her own sister if it means currying favor with whichever family is currently in power. She's cut her whining down quite a bit since the beginning of the show, and she's even become one of the more sympathetic characters to root for, but Sansa hatred is still strong among some Game of Thrones fans, so she's on the list. 

Joffrey rating: 

Ramsay Snow

Why you should hate him: Despicable doesn't even begin to describe this waste of oxygen. First of all, he's Roose Bolton's son. Second of all, he's not just Roose Bolton's son, he's Roose Bolton's bastard. Meaning he's also the product of someone who would sleep with Roose Bolton. BLEH. Ramsay has a case of Joffrey-level sociopathy, and he relished the neutering of Theon Greyjoy during a torture scene that lasted a whole f'ing season. These days, he's hunting down fair maidens in the woods and letting his dogs tear them apart. The man shows no interest in anything other than cruelty, and he does so with a hint of twisted sausage-shaking humor. I love to hate this guy so much.

Joffrey rating: 

Jaime Lannister

Why you should hate him: His face just says smug, doesn't it? And in the first episode of the season, he banged his sister and then pushed a kid out a window. Not the best way to get on our good side! Jaime's rivalry with Ned Stark led to Jaime putting a dagger in Yoren's brain via his eye hole, and for a long while there, he was painted as the least trustworthy Lannister thanks to his "Kingslayer" nickname. He also taunted Brienne so badly it made me cry. In recent seasons he's been slightly redeemed as a misunderstood man of honor, but then he went and raped his sister beneath his own son's corpse and now no one knows what to think of this clown.  

Joffrey rating: 

Cersei Lannister

Why you should hate her: The Ice Queen of Westeros is a spiteful woman who's never been happy once in her life. She sleeps with one of her brothers and hates the other one. She had Ros beaten because she thought Ros was Tyrion's whore, and she drank like an Irish sailor pledging a frat when King's Landing was under siege because she simply does not give a f*ck. And she has a habit of speaking out of the side of her mouth that rubs everyone the wrong way. She's a mean one, that Cersei Lannister. 

Joffrey rating: 

Walder Frey

Why you should hate him: This old pervert rules the Twins as leader of House Frey and has such strong seed that he has about a million ugly, frumpy mouths to feed. At 90 years old, he's on his umpteenth wife and he isn't shy about playing grab-ass with her in front of visitors just because he can. His biggest offense? He was the wedding planner for the Red Wedding, inviting guests Robb, Catelyn, and Talisa to his home and then slaughtering them all at the reception. That ain't cool. What a jerk!

Joffrey rating: 

Alliser Thorne

Why you should hate him: It's one thing to be a huge d-bag for political or personal gain, it's another thing to be a petulant fart just because. Alliser is a schoolyard bully coping with his insecurities by making the lives of Jon Snow and Samwell Tarley miserable at Castle Black. Master-at-arms? More like Master-at-being-a-monumental-loser! 

Joffrey rating: 

Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish

Why you should hate him: As the man behind the war between the Lannisters and the Starks and the murder of Jon Arryn, he's pretty much responsible for all the misery that's currently plaguing Westeros, which stems from Ned Stark's death and the strengthening of the Lannisters' grasp on the Iron Throne. But then again, he's also responsible for Joffrey's death and knocking the Lannisters down a notch. He's only out for himself, causing chaos so that he can shoulder through the mess and come out one step closer to his true goal: becoming the mustache king of the Seven Kingdoms. Also, he's a close talker, he's really creepy, and he murdered Ser Dontos. But hey, I respect his moxie. 

Joffrey rating: 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/22/2016

Season 6 : Episode 5

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/29/2016

Season 6 : Episode 6

210 Comments
Comments (266)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Why isn't Millasandre on this list? She a religious fanatic who burns anyone that rejects her God of lightbulbs and bonfires. She makes nasty with one king so she can have shadow babies to kill another. She sucks. 3 Joffreies.
And littlefinger has charm for miles, but killing the hand to marry his psycho jealous wife who breast feeds a 9 year old (she might want deserve to be on this list too) is a deplorable act. Marrying Sasna to that sadist was a dick move too. He deserves at least 3 Joffries especially if Sansa got one.
Flag
wtf Theon wasn't "adopted" by the Starks, he was handed to them as a ward so that Balon wouldn't start another war. And should Balon start an uprising, which we found out he was planning to do, Ned would have to kill Theon (which Theon was fully aware of his entire time at Winterfell). He didn't "betray" his captors, only Robb, and for understandable reasons. Besides he hasn't done shit for 2 seasons other than get tortured, what left is there to hate?

Also, it's absurd to see Sansa still on lists like this, let alone with the same ranking as fucking Littlefinger. Like, sure, rank an innocent naive girl on a list filled with rapists and murderers, seems logical. I also think the vitriol towards Shae and Cersei is over the top, but apparently being both female and mean to saint Tyrion is just about the worst thing you can do in this series.
Flag
The ones I hate are the characters that are cruel for the sake of being cruel. Guess who that is. It's Ramsay Snow. There are a bunch of dead and not often seen characters on that list so I'm ignoring them. The rest, even if they are shitty, terrible people I can understand their motivations. It's kinda one of the things GoT is about- there really are no heroes, people are flawed.
Also get Sansa off that list. Heaven forbid a young teen deals with her life and the realities of all the cruelty she has had to deal with.
Flag
I guess NOW Shae will get some serious votes. ^^
Flag
I dislike a great many of these, but I can respect their evilness so much that I love them again. Theon I hate, but I've been satisfied by his torture. The only one I really hate now is Littlefinger. It's such a nasty little worm.
Flag
Toss up between Ramsay Snow and Walder Frey. Though Walder would be easier to kill off, unlike Ramsay who's a complete maniac and the show writers try to portray him as funny.
Flag
Now that Joffrey is gone, it has to be toss up between Cersei and Ramsay Snow
Flag
Joffrey. Theon might be a bad guy too, but you can at least have sympathy for what happened to him. I think Ramsey Snow is worse than both of them combined. The books give greater detail as to why he's a monster. http://www.ranker.com/list/the-most-hated-game-of-thrones-characters/ranker-of-thrones
Flag
Definitely Ramsay Snow, and the only thing I love than hating him more, is seeing him pout when his father reminds him he's a bastard. Karl Tanner was definitely up there, and as with Tim I still must hate him because just seeing his picture made my blood boil. I think Cersei deserves more Joffreys than Tim gave her, but oh well. Walder Frey is another one I long to see get his, and Roose Bolton. Although Shae and Petyr are starting to reveal their truthful, and evil, characters more than before, the rest on the list seem to have redeemed themselves to an extent (save Tywin, of course, who's been a constant bad guy... but a very good job of it).
Flag
Sorry, meant "redeemed themselves to an extent, or died (as with Locke)".
Flag
Ha. I voted Shae cuz she's boring and she sucks, but after tonight's episode I feel vindicated.
Flag
We know from the books that Ramsay Snow's mother was not given a choice in the matter...
Flag
After tonights episode the most hated character has to be Shae.
Flag
Roose Bolton and Walder Frey. Because Red Wedding. No need for more explanation than that.
Flag
I hate Littlefinger. He is absolutely disgusting.
Flag
He is, but he is brilliant. You can't deny that he is perfect villain.
Flag
Never said he wasn't. The fact that I hate him so much only proves it.
Flag
Yes. But why do you hate him? Hating Joefrey was understandable, because he was annoying spoiled masochist brat. But Littlefinger is just creep.
Flag
Hard to decide...
Tywin: Too classy to hate.
Locke: Too unimportan to hate.
Shae: Too pretty to hate.
Theon: Too nuts to hate. Give him a break.
Karl: Too dead to hate- sadly. He would have been my hate-champ.
Roose: Too less information about him to hate.
Sansa: REALLY?! Too gorgeous to hate!
Ramsay: Too... Actually quite a good choice.
Jaime: Too nice to hate! He gave Brienne a Podrick! Beyond all hate right now.
Cersei: Too fabulous to hate! That Queen Bitch is hilarious and entertaining!
Walder: Too less screen time to hate. Will he ever show up again?
Petyr: Hate for what? Killing Joffrey? Rescuing Sansa? Bitch, please...
Alliser: Too... wait, Ali-who?

Guess imma go with Ramsay for now.

Flag
Truly, he gave Brienne a Podrick: How many would-be-could-be-should-be-somethings would give their better half a Sex God after arm her with an engagement sword?

Either Jaime is the most confident man that has ever lived...or the most clueless about Pod's "charms" ever.
Flag
No no no no no. No hate for Sansa. She's one of the biggest players in the games and she hasn't done anything worthy of being hated since season one when she was a silly little girl who confused stories with reality.
Flag
I do not hate Tywin Lannister at all. Infact I liked him a lot. He is charming and his lack of emotional attachment for the good of the family makes me love him more.

I am surprised Tim did not mentioned Lady Olenna Tyrell. She is the main Villain for this season. Or maybe nobody hate her since she poison our most hated character. I almost forgot what a good job Diana Rigg has done. She was nominated for last year's Emmy for her work here.

Joffrey left big shoes to be filled.

The only ones that came close are Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish, Ramsay Snow and Roose Bolton. My concern is they are all NOT main characters and we might not see them as much as we saw Joffrey.

After the death of Ned Stark, had a hard time having a main hero to root for. I guess Dany is the only true heroine remaining. Now that the main villain died, I hope they are more focus on the remaining ones.

Flag
To me, the difference is Olenna is insidious & cruel as to poison Joffrey to death or seduce her would-be-brother-in-law into marry her, but she's not vicious or brutal.

Olenna doesn't flaunt her intentions nor takes pleasure on the damage she inflicts at her passing. So I can't really hate her for it (she could've poisoned Brienne and complement Joffrey for the way he trated Loras, and it wouldn't have made a difference for me).
Flag
every time you write a review u say how horrible but its cleary because u have read the books
Flag
That makes no sense.
Flag
sorry meant to say how horrible shae is
Flag
It appears I need to bust out my 'sarcasm italics' to make my nitpicking sound better!

Sansa is obviously the worst character there is! Should have five meowmeowjoffreys. She's literally, according to this article, as bad as Littlefinger, who orchestrated everything, betrayed Ned Stark, framed Tyrion as the culprit of the assassination attempt on Bran's life (which caused Catelyn to take Tyrion as a prisoner which made Tywin Lannister order the Mountain to raid the Riverlands aka. murder and rape his way through the Riverlands, Cat's homeland). Oh, and it seems that Tyrion is once again taking the blame for something Littlefinger did as he's held on trial for the murder of Joffrey. But sure, let's pretend Shae is four times as bad as he is. And four times as bad as the betraying little sack of poop, that is Sansa.

Theon is trash because he betrayed his jailors! How does he have the nerve to choose his biological family over the family that held him hostage! I spit on the box which holds his cock! *Phtew*

Sorry for the sarcasm. I actually loved the list mostly, great work! I just massively disagree with Theon's ranking, LF's ranking and the fact that Sansa is on this list. Sure Sansa hatred is still around but this article was supposed to be "Who are we supposed to hate now?"

I voted for Ramsay Snow as he's the baddest of them all. A sadist/sexual sadist/psychopath/murderer/douchebag. He most likely downloads Game of Thrones on his free time... ILLEGALLY! Total trash.
More+
Flag
Slanty writing is hard to read :) I think Tim's list is more about who's the most annoying according to personal taste instead of who's committed the most crimes against humanity. But my list would be more like yours than Tim's. The Mountain FTW!
Flag
Sansa over Red Priestess... And putting Shae on the list as well. This is a joke.

Littlefinger gets my analytical hate and Ramsay Snow gets my primal hate.

Flag
He said so himself: he wins ...there's a fanvid and everything!
Flag
Jaime 1 Cercei 5 but I guess it's fair if you haven't read the books.
Flag
Seriously,cersie's rating is less than jaime. i would give cersie 5 ....and an extra half....and a quarter
Flag
Who the hell is Robb Snow? I think you meant to write Robb Stark.
Flag
With all the bastards running around the North there must be at least one called Robb Snow right?
Flag
slashed lady stark's neck yah you know what box i checked... the north remembers.
Flag
The Red Woman deserves to be on this list more than Sansa! C'mon Tim, get your sh*t together.
Flag
I can't hate Cersei. She's what she is because of her gender and how she's been treated her whole life, and her occasional displays of emotion (eg conversation with Tyrion about her love for Joff) really get me. Cersei may be a bitch, but that's how she survives.
Flag
Nah I'm with ionee, she's a psycho.
Flag
I don't know, Margaery has the same gender and even more ambition, but she's not like Cersei. Neither is Lady Olenna and, in the latest episode, she was revealed cold enough to poison a boy at his wedding.
Flag
Though i could easily slap Sensa once or two, to wake her up, I can't vote for her in this category. Ramsey and Cersei are the worst!!! Cersei is by herself the definition of the word B.tch!!! And Ramsey...Well... He just creeps me out!!!!
Flag
whoa where is the king that killed lady stark and Robb stark???? He Must on this list.
Flag
He's not a King he's a Lord, Lord Frey. And he already is on the list along with my vote.
Flag
Your comment plus your moniker... I just had to let it out that I enjoyed that.. the little things in life right
Flag
jamie didn't kill yoren, he killed jory cassel!
Flag
Theon deserves all the hate, the little backstabber !
Flag
Why did you give cersei only 2 joffs???? She deserves atleast 4
Flag
Yes, Theon is a SOB, but he lost his bone, if that's not punishment enough, I don't know what it is.
I can't believe Sansa is on this list.
Sometimes Shae is annoying, but not enough for me to hate her.
Ramsay Snow is currently the lowest and worst scum we can find in GOT.
Flag
Tim, I'm calling you out. I think you gave Cersei only 2 Joffs cuz you think she's hot. She's an evil murderess, plus she's not as smart as she thinks she is so her dumbass plans are often bungled, leading to more sh*t hitting the fan.
Flag
I mean you gave Alliser Thorne more and he hasn't actually done anything worng
Flag
To be fair, all Ser Allister did was abuse Sam and mock Jon when uncle Benjen got lost and his father arrested.

He's cruel by far, but he never once killed nor betrayed a sworn brother.
Flag
Staff
No Lord of The Light as an option?
Walder Frey. I hate the SOB. Hate him with the power of 1000 white walkers.
Flag
So according to you Sansa is just as bad as Littlefinger, and Jaime is worse than both Littlefinger and Cersei. Amazing.
Flag
Yeah I know. How dare Sansa be a naive teenager figuring out her life and the cruelties it had brought her.
Flag
Any list the puts defenseless Shae and victimized Sansa Stark above cruel Cersei Lannister as if they are worse than her is simply ridiculous! There are not a lot of women on this show with any power. And too attack the least powerful among the women and compare them to murderers and tortures is just silly. There are many bad people on this show, but at least Shae and Sansa have always had good intentions. This Shae hate reminds me of how people piled onto Skyler in breaking bad.
Flag
After watching the most recent I think I've changed my opinion of Shae, she is evil.
Flag
Three things wrong with this list. First, it's Robb STARK. Second, the Starks never "adopted" Theon, he was taken hostage after his father's rebellion. And third, WTF is Sands doing in this list? I get that many people don't like her but she doesn't deserve to be categorized with all of these other despicable characters.
Flag
People I hate:

Anyone who is not of House Stark, Targaryen, Martell or Mormont.

People I love:

Anyone who is of House Stark, Targaryen, Martell or Mormont.
Flag
What about the Tarly's? Who could hate Sam?
Flag
hmmm... Viserys ?? otherwise, yes.
Flag
The Tyrells are damn cool! They have Olenna, cmon
Flag
So you hate the Tyrells? Why if i may ask?
Flag
Ramsay Snow is evil.
Would you add Lysa Arryn (Lady Regent of the Vale, the nutty Aunt with the high castle with the hole in the throne room) to this list.
She is a first class biatch but she is not playing with a full deck of cards so is she excused for her behavior?
Flag
I actually miss Joffrey! great actor. so is ramsay snow's actor
Flag
Everyone on Arya's list you should hate
Flag
Yes!

King Joffrey
Ser Amory
The Tickler
Polliver
Ser Gregor
Raff the Sweetling
Ilyn Payne
Meryn Trant
Queen Cersei
Dunsen
The Hound
(I would add every adult Frey)

Valar Morghulis
Flag
What the hell is doing Sansa here??????????????????????
Flag
Shae? Seriously? And who the hell voted for Sansa?

Ramsay is the obvious choice, although there are several other good choices on that list.

Two good choices that aren't on the list, presumably because of a lack of screen time: Ramsay's girlfriend, and The Mountain. The former has only had one scene, but that was enough. The Mountain is so cruel that it's not even plausible that he's still alive. Someone would have murdered him by now, by poison if not by combat.

"King of the assholes and the first men"

I enjoyed that comment a lot.
Flag
People forget that when Ned Stark knew he had to get them out of Kings Landing and tried to secretly get his family out, it was Sansa that went and told Cersei. And she lied on Arya and got her wolf killed.

Sansa is a terrible person. She's since suffered a lot, but it doesn't erase all the crap she did.
Flag
Yes this was at the beginning when she still was a little spoiled snob aristocrat, remember she is half a Tully.
At this stage she still wasn't told that tv and teen girl magazine isn't the real life..(to compare with present days story telling) .

But in the meanwhile she had a Littlefinger crash curse in strategy.
Flag
She thought her dad was just being a dick. It's mostly his fault for not explaining the situation better. It was pretty naive of Sansa to not realize that Cersei was dangerous, but being naive at age 13 doesn't exactly make you a terrible person.

I agree that it was pretty terrible to take Joffrey's side in the conflict with Arya, but that was just ONE thing she did at age 13, and it was nowhere near as bad as the things people are willing to forgive Jaime for.

Her suffering hasn't erased what she did that one time at age 13, but it has almost certainly made her realize how wrong she was. She hasn't done a single bad thing since then. But she has done good things. In particular, she saved that guy from Joffrey.
Flag
Sansa is not a terrible person just stupid and naive.
Flag
Still like Theon and Littlefinger. Littlefinger is playing the game perfectly and Theon has already shown remorse for what he did, he admitted his mistakes.
Flag
Roose Bolton and his spawn need to die screaming.
Flag
Sad to see Sansa on the list; I really don't like all the Sansa hate. She may not have the outward bravery or bad-assery of her sister, but she's been through hell and is dealing with it the best she possibly can. She is only 14, for heaven's sake. I find her the most realistic of all the characters on the show, and I really wish people would stop to consider her age before passing comment.
Flag
You talk as if she were real. :)
Flag
14 on the book or on the show? because in the show they aged all the children of between 2 and 4 years.
Flag
She mentioned on her wedding night to Tyrion in the show that she was 14; in the books she is younger. Either way, she's just a child and people judge her as if she were an adult- and even if she was, my sympathy would remain. Yes, she is foolish and naive, but she is one of the most innocent characters on the show in one of the most difficult positions.
Flag
I really don't know why sansa is part of this horrible list! She hasn't harmed anyone in her life (like her murderous little sister) - all she has done - suffered beyond measure,lived in fear, treated like scum with the thought there is no hope and happiness left for her in this world!
Flag
I actually liked Sansa on the show before her fans (including the show runners) started spreading all of this unjustified hate towards the "murderous little sister" to make Sansa look better. I've even heard Sansa fans claim Arya's not a girl because she wears pants, and that you should root for the girls who wear dresses because the others are clearly stupid.
Flag
Don't forget, she lost Lady as well
Flag
Indeed, it must be because her character isn't very "likeable" (so far)
Let's see how her character develops.
Flag
"Meaning he's also the product of someone who would sleep with Roose Bolton." Actually Roose raped Ramsay's mother, she caught his eye and he decided to practice the now and then outlawed right fo the first night. He was annoyed that she and her husband didn't ask their liege lord, him, for permission to get married so he hanged her husband and then raped her under his swinging body. Little did he know she was ovulating or something so the experience brought forth the most unfortunate mind in the seven kingdoms. Also Walder had little to do with the planning of the Red Wedding, the cripple that stabbed Talisa, Lame Lothar Frey, had the idea and it was Tywin that orchestrated it, which isn't to say he's blameless, just that it wasn't his idea.
Flag
Just imagine these little details being mentioned on the show, haha. People might lose their shit again.
Flag
For me the person to hate is clearly Cersei. She might not be the meanest but she is also the most annoying and gets the most screentime of those people. At least Ramsay and Tywin are interesting and have motives for their evil deads

-minor spoiler-
I still despise that you put shae on here, she is a great person so far there is nothing to hate. She is the only good thing in Tyrions life right now. You are just going for the "I told you so" moment

Flag
yep!
Flag
Nah, even without the possible spoiler... it's like how everyone hated Carl on TWD. How can she be a good thing in Tyrion's life when all she does is glower at him around Sansa and constantly risk being murdered?
Flag
Not really, imo Carl has endangered everyone as many times as Shae has proven she is not a gold digger.
Flag
this isn't about whether she's a gold digger or not... all she does now is constantly be jealous of Sansa and go to Tyrion's place against better judgement. she's not the same as last season.
Flag
Hmm, I wonder why Arya is not on the list? Surely she has killed far more people that Joffrey did and she is younger than him.
Flag
There's no reason to hate Arya any more than to kill Bran, she has killed in self-defense or to avenge people that were gruesomely murdered themselves: from the servants of her House the episode they killed her Septa to her own mother and Lommy that latest two kills.

On top of it, she's a sympathetic character that introduced Jaqen, Syrio, Thoros, Plliver & the gold cloaks. An incredibly amazing foil to characters like The Hound, Melisandre and Tywin Lannister. And some sort of romantic heroine given her connection to Gendry.

It would be like hating Brienne or Ygritte (a younger Jaime or a kid Jon Snow if you think male characters), for me that's impossible.
Flag
Haven't read the books so my POV is based only on the show. I'm surprised to hear you put Ygritte on the same level as Brienne. Do people love Ygritte? I don't like her! I don't know if it's the character or the actress but she just annoys me. Same with Shae. I know *logically* that Shae is not bad like the real baddies of Westeros but she's SO effin annoying. She's like a fly buzzing around Tyrion and I'm glad he shooed her away. Please tell me she's not coming back!
Flag
I can't hate Brienne or Ygritte because, much like Arya, they have also done what they had to do to stay alive. Brienne in Renly's and Lady Catelyn's camp, Ygritte north of the Wall amongst The White Walkers.

Neither Brienne, Arya nor Ygritte enjoy what they had to do to stay alive, they only did it to survive. And the three of them found the capacity to love again to Jaime, to Gendry and Jon respectively.

Losing everything didn't ruin their capacity to love again.
Flag
While I agree with you completly that there is no reason to hate Arya, the same things you said can be refered to Sansa, and for some reason, she's on the list.
Flag
Sansa is not even a blip on the radar, plus she hasn't killed anybody yet: her own husband said so (and I trusts Tyrion more than any other character on the show)
Flag
Obviously nobody hates Arya. But, why? I like Arya, I didn't like Joffrey. But, looking at the facts, I'm not sure why, really.
Joffrey was a psychopath, but some may think those that compile a list of people they want to murder and then recite it before they go to sleep could fall into a similar category.

Not all the people she has been responsible for the death of have killed others, as far as we know. Think about the people she had Jaqen murder. We don't know that Chiswyck killed anyone, but he did take part in a rape. Next came Weese, who had hit Arya, so the bar seems to have been lowered. If Joffrey had someone killed for hitting him, would people feel the same way?

Walder Frey killed someone who had caused many deaths and had no claim to the Iron Throne. On top of that, Robb had gone back on a vow and caused the Freys humiliation. Walder on the other hand simply made a deal and kept his end of it. But he made the hate list.

I'm simply making the point that who people like and don't like is not entirely rational.
More +
Flag
Joffrey is fairly simple for me: Arya doesn't like what she has to do to survive, she kills because she has to stay alive, not because she wants to.

Joffrey? He enjoyed every minute of it: from Ned Stark's beheading to the repeated attempts to murder Tyrion, from the animals he hunted down to the slaughter of Gendry's brothers & sisters. Joffrey killed because he wanted to, no excuse whatsoever.
Flag
I think with each kill Arya likes it more and more. In this kind of show we excuse murder of cliched bad guys so we let Arya off the hook.
Flag
There's one simple difference:
Arya is a child whose entire life has been cruelly ripped apart right in front of her. So she will always, always have our sympathy. Can't say the same for anybody else you mentioned.
Flag
I feel like Catelyn did in season 2: Arya would've been the Brienne for her Lord own Renly, Gendry seemed like a goof candidate for it.

No arranged marriage could stop them, no Jaime Lannister either.
Flag
Both are lucky they haven't been married off to some decrepid Lord, locked away and forced to do nothing but weave and produce heirs. Arya would always resent she wasn't born a boy.
Flag
I never got the feeling Arya was perticularly unhappy being a Lady, just that she wasn't really good at it.

The way she adresses Tywin, the way she can handle The Lady Melisandre or The Hound, the way she protects Hot Pie or Lommy convinced me Arya could've been an acceptable Lady, just like Lady Brienne.
Flag
I dunno, it's cruel her family's dropping like flies but do you think she'd be happier being groomed as a lady than she is becoming a total badass assassin? There's a good chance that if Arryn had never discovered the Lannister's secret that Arya would be miserable. I'm not even sure if she's that unhappy now. I think she's the kind of person that is the most fulfilled when she's angry.
Flag
Arya has my sympathy because she's resilient: she constantly finds new reasons to stay alive even after watching her father, mother and older brother slain in front of her.

She also finds within her the capacity to love again: to love Gendry, Hot Pie, Lommy, Jaqen, Yoren, even The Hound you can tell she likes him. Losing her dancing master, parents and home hasn't changed that for her.

Arya can still heal despite what she has been forced to do to survive, and that's why I'm rooting for her happiness.
Flag
I agree, but thinking about it objectively, does that make sense? Should what happened to someone previously excuse any actions in the future?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members