A Game of Thrones Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO
Most of us have realized that Game of Thrones won't have the Disney fairytale ending. Dany won't ride into the sunset with Drogo and Catelyn won't get to realize that Bran and Rickon and Arya are alive. But I still think that people don't particularly want a depressing and crushing ending, no matter how well it fits to the story. I doubt there's anyone who could actually write a better ending for the characters George R.R. Martin has created than the man himself, but it's fun to dream. And this is my weird little dream, which I think many might share with me.
If I could choose how the show ended, I'd want the Starks together.

• Sansa being stuck in King's Landing as a pawn for a year (I think) must've made her a bit more distrusting of other people and politically 'savvy'. Maybe not as savvy as the adults of the show but you know... Savvy for a 14yo... And at the minimum more than any other Stark. She isn't as opposed to marriage as Arya, so she could theoretically marry to gain an ally for the Starks.
  • Bran's superior 'skinchanging' abilities and green dreams would make him Winterfell's last and strongest defense. For example; a woman with three dragons comes to take 'what belongs to her, with fire and blood'. She brings three dragons. Bran skinchanges to one of those dragons and causes enough harm for said woman to realize that the North might be best to remain an independent kingdom.
  • I'm not sure how Arya would fit to this scenario. Arya obviously cares a lot for her family but as a female Stark, she might have to marry to form an alliance with another house and I don't see Arya doing that. Arya is more like a sandsnake (mild spoiler: Sand Snakes are the seven warrior daughters of Oberyn Martell and Ellaria Sand), she'd much rather roam the world with a few companions or something else.
  • Rickon would be groomed to be the next Lord of Winterfell/King in the North. Can't really think of anything else for him, being with his family would do some good for him.
All this... Because Starks have suffered enough and "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell". I don't really care which one the Starks it is.

I haven't really decided what I want for Essos, King's Landing or the remaining Westeros. My 'ideal' ending basically formed back when I heard that before the last book was called 'A Dream of Spring' , it was called 'A Time for Wolves'. I then proceeded to throw the word 'careful' out of the phrase 'carefully optimistic' and well.. That ”totally plausible and not at all unrealistic ending, considering every Stark thinks the others to be dead and are at different parts of Westeros” ending popped to my head.

What would be your ideal ending and why? Write it down in the comment section. Here a few rules, hints, random words:

• Keep it short. If you notice that your 'ending' is reminding you of a 4000 word essay, write the ideal ending of your favorite character and only his/hers.
  • For book readers: try to keep your comments spoiler free. I had an ending for quite a few characters but left them out in fear of spoiling anything huge. It's surprisingly hard to pretend not knowing things.
If you think this is a silly and pointless topic, feel free to tell it to me using caps lock while reciting ”Yo momma” jokes. Like the civilized folk on Youtube!
Comments (56)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
As much as I love Littlefinger (because honestly he's awesome), I think my ideal ending would involve him being killed in some vindictive way, preferably by Sansa.
Flag
Arya and Tyrion somehow make it East and join Daenerys' cause. Jon Snow and Sam get the Nightswatch to support her. And they root out all the other lannisters from the land. Oh yes, and even Stannis lays down his sword for Dany becasue he's honorable n shit.... and they all together beat the white walkers!
Flag
Knowing how awesome George R.R. Martins skills at writing and being deceitful are I would say he let slip a false title for the last book just to throw everyone off. He is very good at keeping everyone guessing.
Flag
Very late, but honestly, I would want Stannis on the Iron Throne, Bran as Lord of Winterfell, with Sansa as both his regent until Marriage, and somehow without killing Robert Lady of the Eyrie.
Flag
Jon Snow's lineage is revealed, and after fighting back the White Walkers, Danaerys, Jon and Aegon rule the 7 Kingdoms as siblings.
Flag
*Book SPOILERS**

I've always been a little underwhelmed by the whole Jon Snow's lineage theory. First of all, he would still be a bastard and would need a king to 'enable' his possible true family name. I don't think Jon should be in a position where he rules (anything other than Winterfell or the Wall) or that he even wants to be in that kind of a position.

The only proper story development from the R+L=J would be character growth for Jon (realizing that his true parents caused a huge civil war because they 'fancied' each other... I'd take Ned as a parent any time), possible third head for the dragon it would give GRRM the 'three heads' he needs for his another 'dance of dragons' to truly happen.
Flag
Bastards can be legitimized by lords and kings. And the theory out there is that Jon is of 2 very highborn houses being the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryan. Obviously, since this theory is out there, GRRM has likely changed it, but that's my dream ending.
Flag
Westeros becomes a democracy.
Flag
Simple. I like that!
Flag
Daenerys wins the throne ( thanks to her three winged WMD ), falls in love with and marries Jon Snow ( assuming he's not secretly a Targaryen, as some have theorized ) -I know, I know, but after the events at the end of book 5, you could consider his vow to the Guard is now null and void. This royal couple of "ice and fire" rules with Tyrion as their Hand. Rickons rules a rebuilt Winterfell, and Bran becomes King Beyond the Wall to make sure the White Walkers never come back again. Oh, and Cersei dies a slow and painful death.
But that's just wishful thinking. I guess the real one will be more bittersweet ( and, hopefully, better ).
Flag
Even if he is a Targaryan, that would not stop them from marrying. Targaryans almost always married other Targaryans.
Flag
Right, but wouldn't it be awkward ? I mean, everything started because inbreeding corrupted the Targaryen bloodline, causing madness in Aerys. So if Jon is indeed Lyanna Stark's and Raeghar Targaryen's son, wouldn't it be puzzling to have him marry his aunt ? Not so add hypocritical : what's disgusting for the Lannister twins would be okay for Jon ?
Flag
I make you right about Arya, although I can't help but think that something is being kept back with her and Gendry... but then again we can assume everything and the opposite tends to happen. Either way, I am happy for Martin to take as long as it takes to end. A rushed finish is no fun for anyone.
Flag

Khaleesi takes over most the world rapes and pillage viking style. when she gets to the north the little kid skinchanges into one of her dragons and kills one of the other dragons. then gives here a warning to fuck off. she then rules most of the world (except for the north) and lives happily ever after.

Flag
Daenerys to be queen with her dragons; Jamie ends up with Brienne; Anya lets the Hound train her and then....well, she joins the faceless men or something. Cersei and Joffrey die horribly slow deaths with much suffering and pain - preferably with the dragons involved in their torture. Tyrion rules some far little kingdom with his brother, Brienne and Sansa and everyone else I loathe dies. Rickon and Bran rule Winterfell with John Snow's help. Neat little endings I know, but I think they've all suffered enough now......those that are redeemable. The rest can just die.
Flag
I just want Daenerys to be the queen, I can live with anything happening to everyone else as long as she ends up sitting on the Iron Throne
Flag
Varys sits on top of the Iron throne with Arya as his top spy/assassin. Bran and Rickon are at Winterfell. Everyone else is dead.
Flag
Stoneheart kills everybody
Flag
I want Daenerys to be queen. Tyrion Lannister and John Snow beside her. And of course, Joffrey and Cersei gone.
Flag
Tyrion Lannister becoming king with Jon Snow as his Hand.
Flag
Jon will sit the iron throne.

Arya will kill Cersei

Just (probably long shot) predictions, not containing spoilers from the books.
Flag
But would Jon want to sit on the throne?

Though Jon would make a better king than the Mad King, Robert and Joffrey. That wouldn't be a total bummer ending I have to admit :)
Flag
I will use Dumbledore's wisdom here - It is a curious thing, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well.
Flag
I have always had this suspicion that Danys will need some help once she gets to Westeros and that if she looks at the landscape she might wish that the Starks were still around, but low and behold who is around that is a Stark, is Jon Snow. They unify to take over Westeros because Danys will have the force, but Jon as representative of the Starks will have the people's good will.
Flag
You obviously haven't read the books yet, AND, like Robert Jordan, I don't think Martin will live long enough to finish this story. He is to busy working on the show and playing with his little tin men.
Flag
But I once read he told the writers of the show how it's all supposed to end, just in case. So if he indeed dies before completing the books ( the Seven Gods forbid ), we'll still have an ending ...
Flag
I have read the books. This is my childish dream of how the series will end.. Not how I think the series will end. I try to keep the 'book talk' to minimum on this site, which I think is a good policy... Considering this to be a Game of Thrones community and not an A Song of Ice and Fire community. What made you think I hadn't read the books if I may ask? :)

At this point GRRM has finished all of his side projects (Dangerous Women, World of Ice and Fire stuff and what not..), TWOW will be at the center of his attention. I think there's a good chance that he will finish the series (TWOW at least) and there's a possibility that he will pass away before he finishes the series.

You have to keep the hope alive!
Flag
This was not meant to change the thrust of your post so I should write what I would like to happen:
Bran would rule in the North with the backing of Arya, Rickon, and those in the North; those on the wall and those from beyond. They would begin by wiping out and meting justice to those that betrayed their family; the Greyjoys, Freys, etc.
As this is happening in the North, Dany will take on Tyrion as her advisor and take on the Southern lords and Joffery and hopefully we will see justice here as well. She will then move north and ally with the North through marriage to Bran.
Flag
I had thought you had not read it because of what happens to Arya in DWD. I did not say more to avoid spoilers for people that have not read the books. And it's not that GRRM is a bad writer, he just is getting old and is more focused on producing the show than he is on writing the series and I have a gripe about writers who start a series but don't finish them. I was taught that good stories always have a beginning, a middle, and an END. The show is good, GRRM started writing for television and it shows in the series and in the books. He writes great scenes but has a problem with plotting and pacing. I have read elsewhere that he is putting all of his energy into the show and had let his writing slack off. This guy is older than me and none of us live forever, so if he is going to finish this he needs to get busy.
Flag
I think that if GRRM's publishers and editors don't dare to say a word about his writing pace, HBO will. The show will overtake the books because of how bloated the 4th and 5th books are, but it's still slightly up to GRRM to decide whether they overtake him after they reach the end of material for ADWD or TWOW. I don't think it's a realistic goal to believe that he could manage to write ADOS before the show reaches the material from that book.

I'm still hoping that he does have time to finish the book series completely. If TWOW is realeased in 2015 and ADOS takes as long to write, he would be 70yo when the book is realeased. I'd say that's in the realms of possibility. He just needs to get busy.
Flag
I think the battle for power is going to get interrupted by the White Walkers (they have to show up sometime) and it's going to become a battle to save the kingdom. This is where Dany and Bran come in. From the previews it seems like the dragons are getting out of control. I think Bran may be able to help Dany regain her control of the dragons and then use them to save Westeros. Due to the Dany and Bran team up they become allies and agree to allow the North to become its own kingdom, fulfilling the legacy of Rob.

While I love Jon I don't see him lasting until the end. Like Rob he has too much of his father in him and we all remember how that ends by now. Arya probably becomes a vigilante of some kind killing Cersei and The Red woman. I think Joffrey is gonna be dead by then (there's no way he makes it to the end!). I want Jamie to make it to the end and of course Tyrion. I see Tyrion helping out with his cunning to help Dany in her quest for the kingdom and being rewarded dominion over Casterly Rock. Which would be wonderful consider his father's original stance on Tyrion and his capabilties. He and Jamie seem to have a closer relationship than the rest of his family, so I see Jamie as being a part of Tyrion's plan and getting to be the Queen's hand for his work. Kind of coming full circle.

I haven't read the books so this is all from my head... If any of this is in line with the books please don't tell me, I like being surprised :)
More+
Flag
I like your idea of Bran and Dany as the ultimate line of defense!

Makes me hopeful that, even if no one does something about it, at least someone would stand a chance against The Whiter Walkers army.
Flag
My ideal ending is for anyone to survive the long night...sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who realizes The White Walkers are coming (and that's exactly what they planned in order to take over).
Flag
Yeah well... It's been 5 books and the proper winter is still on its way.

...I think that's a given... That someone survives and Westeros is not a barren wasteland destroyed by the White Walkers. Don't you have any specific scenarios, no matter how unlikely, that you want from the ending?

I had always thought of you as an idealistic and optimistic GoT fan because of your mostly optimistic posts. I had no idea that your ideal ending would be that grim :)
Flag
Then again, its been 5 books and the only ones doing something about The White Walkers are assasins, thieves and scavengers (rather than any King or Queen).

I'm surprised no one has figured out there's no point to rule if there's no one to rule for.
Flag
Stannis is most likely willing to die while trying to defend Westeros from the White Walkers. Stannis is so committed that he leads his troops to battle, has to be dragged from the battle by his men when they are losing (blackwater) and was willing to die for Storm's End because his brother told him to keep the hold.

But I'm just going to stop here, you aren't going to change my opinion, I am not going to change yours. I think Stannis is by far the only character that's willing to die for Westeros and not for the Iron Throne. You think that the fact that he does everything to keep the ship from sinking is a sign of him not willing to go down with the ship.
Flag
And why do you think that Stannis is still counting on a kingdom? You have said it twice now without giving any other information. Why is Stannis different than Dany, Robb, Bran and Robert? You just repeated a comment you made a week or two ago and didn't really go any further as to explain why Stannis, the only king willing to defend Westeros rather than to capture it, is the one who's appearently not-willing to go down with the ship.
Flag
Stannis said so himself: he's not going to be the page on someone else history book, so he is indeed counting on a kingdom when this is over.

A true sovereign must be so committed to be burned with the people she's trying to save (Daenerys), to starv and die with the people fighting by his side like Robb, or get broken much like the household he was trying to defend like Bran.

A sovereign isn't a sovereign because he likes to dress like one or because she likes to put on a pretty tiara: a sovereign is a sovereign because he/she's willing to go down with the ship. And Stannis is willing to watch the ship go down as long as he could still rule over the wreckage.
Flag
I thought I replied to you already but I guess I forgot to press 'Submit' :(

But your sovereign phrase-thing is true, but what makes you think that Stannis isn't willing to go down with the ship? He hasn't gone down with the ship yet but I am 100% sure that if it comes to it, Stannis is willing to die while trying to defend Westeros. In case you forgot, Stannis was willing to die for Storm's End during Robert's Rebellion. He was surrounded by Tyrells and showed absolutely no sign of giving up, lasting for almost a year before Ned came to break the siege. I'd say that if Stannis is willing to go down with Storm's End, he's willing to go down with Westeros.

Real life reference that isn't all that connected to this but still shares some qualities. Finland vs. Soviet Union during WWII. Finland didn't go down with the ship. Mainly because out of pure will, 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' policy and Stalin's underestimation Finland (and the fact that he killed his experienced generals), Finland managed to keep their independence against a 1 to 10 overpowered foe. Does this mean that because Finland's ship never sunk, they wouldn't have been willing to go down with the ship?
More +
Flag
Because Stannis is still counting on a Kingdom once he's done defending it where Robb, Daenerys, Bran, Robert and even the Greyjoys knew their kingdoms might have been a lost cause once they started fighting for them.

A sovereign isn't a sovereign because he likes to dress like one or because she likes to put on a pretty tiara: a sovereign is a sovereign because he/she's willing to go down with the ship.
Flag
Stannis realized that it's his job the defend the kingdom. Stannis realized that it was more important as opposed to ruling the kingdom.

Starks just keep on dying. Robb and Catelyn were out to make the North an independent kingdom and to free Sansa from the Lannisters. Avenging Ned was also one of the motives. I don't really see how the North or the Starks 'thrive' after Robb and Catelyn died. Furthermore, by your reasoning 'the Starks don't get it either: they believe that they'll have something to rule after they defend it.'
Flag
Stannis is still counting on a Kingdom when he's done defending it, but the last Lord of Winterfell - a.k.a. Bran - fell just like the Castle he ruled over sames as the King in the North fell with it.

A sovereign isn't a sovereign because he likes to dress as one or because she likes to put on a pretty tiara: a sovereign is a sovereign because he/she's willing to go down with the ship.
Flag
*cough* Stannis, the true king of Westeros, the rewarder of the good and punisher of the wicked. *cough*

And isn't his line at the end of season 3 something along the lines that to rule Westeros, he needs to defend it? So I'd say that is the show saying that Stannis is the true king as he is the only king to be willing the defend the continent.

Flag
No, they cut that line, damn you HBO. Hopefully they include it in season 4.
Flag
Stannis doesn't get it either: he still believes he'll have something to rule after he defends it.

The Starks are the only characters that realized how, sometimes, you have to defend something even if you're not going to be alive to see it thrive (Robb, Catelyn and Bran also all know they might fail trying to protect it).
Flag
I'm gonna keep it short and not about every individual character.
I think when Westeros is invaded from all directions. there is gonna be a Great Council to hammer out a deal spies and assassins will play a major part in this. They finally decide to unite under Danny who has to marry Jamie then they go fight the White Walkers who by now have taken the twin towers of the Freys.
Flag
My wishful thinking -
Jon ending as king of westeros if he survives. If he dies I would prefer Westeros returning to its seven kingdom phase
Stannis - lord commander of kings landing
Rickon - lord of winterfell
Tyrion - lord of casterly rock
Sansa - either with Tyrion or married to some other lord of some powerful house and living a fairy tale life as she had always wanted
And regarding Bran and Danerys - well they are powerful and will play crucial role in war against white walkers but I don't see them surviving it.
And finally coming to Arya - Well I can't see what role she will play in war against White walkers but I am pretty much sure she will end up killing atleast dozen of main characters. And yeah don't she her surviving either. She is just too much damaged now.
Flag
to me, scenes with Bran are probably the most boring ones. i really hated watching him being carried around all season long. i think he could easily have died in season one and that wouldn't change much at all. just die already, will ya? wishful thinking, i know

those fights with a combat instructor in season one, god those were awesome. a flashforward into the future, where Arya becomes a legendary female warrior would do. like xena, kind of

Jaime. well, before death, bran could use some magic or whatever powers he possesses, and regrow jaimes hand? that would awesome and at least something worth remembering. oh wait, jaime. i can see him replacing his father, but not much after that

Cersei is definately a goner. hopefully a painful death, probably not soon though

who else is still alive. Sansa is still married to that short guy right? well it doesn't look like it will last. maybe some new good looking prince saviour will come along in season 4?

short guy, Tyrion right? i wish he was the king (if not of 7 kingdoms at least of kings landing). however, i'm pretty sure that other guy who looks like he escaped monastery will take joffreys place.

yeah, Joffrey is a goner aswell, hopefully soon. please make him ride that natalie dormer chick before he dies, oh show runners please please, that would make my day. (i hope he is 18 already, is he?)

and last, but not least. well it looks like throughout all seasons it's being build up that eventually Danny will reclaim the iron throne. but i believe that either she will die trying or short after she does, she will lose it, or lose her life over it. i don't see her leading people of westeros. she's more like a queen of slaves (and mother of dragons too)
More+
Flag
Ideal Game of Thrones Ending? No ending....
I Can't say to much because of *SPOILERS* haha
Flag
All the endings I imagined have fallen apart since all my favorites characters have been killed off.....so those endings are out.
At this point....(I haven't read the books)
I would want Joffry dead....along with all the Lannisters.
Sansa helps in killing them all.
As long as none of the Lannisters are in charge by the end....I am good with whomever is in charge.
Flag
Here are the ways I think some storylines or character arcs will end, well, how I'd like them to end. No spoilers of course.

-Bran: I think that Bran will become a very inportant character in the future. He's always been one of my favourites, and considering that his story is one of the few that contains magic, something big is bound to happen. Also, I think he will tie-in with Dany's storyline, which I'm about to explain.

-Daenerys: I've always seen Dany as both Westeros' salvation and its downfall. Unlike some, I actually think she will make it back to her homeland. But when she gets there she will be met by an equally strong force, the White Walkers, thus fullfilling the title's forshadowing (A Song of Ice and Fire). In the end, if she wins that battle she will have saved Westeros, but she will also have cause major havoc and destruction. And regarding Bran, since he has magical powers and is in the north, he could play a part in Dany's battle.

I'll keep it short from now on.

-Jaime Cersei: this two have always been interesting for me. They're both very complex characters, and I always love reading/watching them. I think that by the end, they'll have a very strained relationship as they stop loving each other and Jaime will end up killing Cersei. If I try to explain more I'll have to add a spoiler.

Sansa: Sansa will be headed into some heavy and dark places in the future, IMO. I think that as the series goes on she'll become as ruthless and cunning as those around her. I use to think that she will be the one killing Cersei, but I'm now leaning towards Jaime.

-Some characters, like: Jon, Stannis, Davos, and the Greyjoys; I can't say my speculations without spoiling and there are some characters (Tyrion and Arya) which I don't have any theories for.

More+
Flag
Bran is interesting and most likely the most important Stark "Ice and Fire"-wise. Game of Thrones is one of those fantasy shows where I don't really care for the fantasy. It's fine but I don't really need it, which makes it weird that I've been enjoying Bran's parts on the show.

Your point about Dany being the salvation and downfall of Westeros is excactly what I've been thinking. The dragons are an obvious choice for causing the downfall of the White Walkers but they aren't excactly delicate. We don't know that much about White Walkers but still... If they happen to be in the middle of Winterfell, I doubt that the dragons can delicately kill them without destroying the whole place.

Sansa has been my favorite 'dark horse' for a while. Not many are expecting her to do anything huge. She's not a favorite of many, she hasn't done all that much yet but still. The Stark kids seem to 'absorb' their surroundings. Arya is hanging out with murderers and getting... Murderer-y each season, Bran is hanging out with the green seer Reed and is starting to handle his skills, Rickon is surrounded by chaos and he is most likely a bit chaotic himself. Makes it kinda plausible or downright logical that Sansa might end up as ruthless and cunning as you said... The plus side of betting on this particular 'dark horse' is the fact that if she restores the Stark name, I can laugh to my friend's faces.
More +
Flag
"-Jaime Cersei: this two have always been interesting for me. They're both very complex characters, and I always love reading/watching them. I think that by the end, they'll have a very strained relationship as they stop loving each other and Jaime will end up killing Cersei. If I try to explain more I'll have to add a spoiler."
----- then don't write sentences like your last one, because on it's own it already is kind of a spoiler.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members