Game of Thrones Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

How are you liking Game of Thrones so far?

Heather_H

[1]May 4, 2011
    • level: 35

Now that we're three episodes in I think it's fair to talk about how we think it's going. Is it what you expected it to be? What would you like to see happen? etc

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MicheleDunste

[2]May 4, 2011
    • level: 2
    It is a bit slow, starting to bore me now

RitariKnight

[3]May 4, 2011
    • level: 27

MicheleDunste wrote:

That's kind of funny considering how many others think the pace has been too fast, at least in the first two episodes. I tend to agree with that assessment. The third one was slower, which I thought was a good thing. A couple more episodes would have made for a better, broader introduction to the world and the characters. That would have meant an even "slower" beginning, tough. But that would have brought the cost of the series up considerably, and it's pretty expensive already as it is. We're now, after three episodes, almost at the point where all the main characters are pretty much in the places where the main drama and action will take place for their story arcs.

You have to understand this is not a typical TV show; the episodes can't really stand on their own. This is not a weekly network show, where missing an episode is not such a big deal. This is a long story that is told in ten one-hour installments, and we're still at the beginning and establishing the setting and characters. Episode four will have some action, and probably a nice twist at the end, but I expect the story to hit full swing in episode five. After that, it's important and exciting times till the end. There will be more backstabbing and deaths, and a memorable scene which made me throw the book at the wall the first time I read it. That should be in episode nine.

This is also not the typical fantasy story. So anyone expecting lord-of-the-rings-movie-like action will be disappointed. This is a human drama first and foremost, a character-driven plot that has some action as well, and even some fantastical elements, some of which we've already seen, but the magic is very much in the background. The action is not the driving force of the plot, it's the other way; the plot comes first. It's all about the characters who are not black and white, how they can cope with difficult situations and ambiguous moral decisions. Much of the conflict comes from within, as William Faulkner has said so eloquently, "the human heart in conflict with itself...alone can make good writing because only that is worth writing about, worth the agony and the sweat." This sentiment is something George R.R. Martin, the author of the novels the show is based on, has quoted many times as his personal motto in writing. I think it shows in his works, and so far also in this adaptation. Think of Jaime pushing Bran out the window, that was clearly a decision where Jaime had to struggle to do it, i.e. his heart was in conflict with itself. He is not evil, he didn't want Bran to die, but he felt he had no other choice, since he has to keep his relationship with Cersei a secret, even at the price of killing a young boy (he didn't die of course, but Jaime couldn't know that beforehand).

safibwana

[4]May 4, 2011
    • level: 11

RitariKnight wrote:

MicheleDunste wrote:

That's kind of funny considering how many others think the pace has been too fast, at least in the first two episodes. I tend to agree with that assessment. The third one was slower, which I thought was a good thing. A couple more episodes would have made for a better, broader introduction to the world and the characters. That would have meant an even "slower" beginning, tough. But that would have brought the cost of the series up considerably, and it's pretty expensive already as it is. We're now, after three episodes, almost at the point where all the main characters are pretty much in the places where the main drama and action will take place for their story arcs.

Whoever those "many others" are, they are insane. I don't understand how anyone could compare episode 1 to episode 3 and say the pace has slowed. Not much happened in episode 3, I'll grant you, but absolutely nothing happened until the last 30 seconds of episode 1. Yes, there was a dizzying array of character introductions in episode 1, but no actual events occurred.

Actually, that just gave me an idea. If this series ever gets good enough to recommend to my friends, I'll recommend they start with episode 2.

boom-moo

[5]May 4, 2011
    • level: 75
    Heather_H wrote:

Now that we're three episodes in I think it's fair to talk about how we think it's going. Is it what you expected it to be? What would you like to see happen? etc

I approached the show with no expectations at all and I'm loving it so far. It's what I expected it to be in the best way possible

jools19

[6]May 4, 2011
    • level: 6

I agree! I had no idea what to expect and am in love! I cant wait for the new episodes each week and am starting to entertain the idea of reading the books.... do you think that will ruin my overall tv experience? I hope not...

amaryllis88

[7]May 4, 2011
    • level: 20
    I had somewhat of an idea, mainly because I remember seeing pre-views for it on HBO earlier in the year, probably around the time Boardwalk Empire concluded their first season. I recall seeing the elaborate set pieces, and the extensive sword fighting that some of the characters were learning/undertaking, so I figured it had to be a big production.

I just bought the book today, and started reading it, and I love it so far, as I love the series too. I'm happy with how it's progressing, it can be difficult to flesh out the characters, and get the audience to empathize with them, and invest time in getting to know them better, but it seems to be doing all that just fine.

I get excited from week to week anticipating the show, and I'm glad it's been renewed for a second season. Yeah, sometimes it's a little slow in places, but you just gotta keep with the show, something exciting is bound to happen, or a secret will spill out, there'll be that twist that grabs you right back in again.

RitariKnight

[8]May 4, 2011
    • level: 27

amaryllis88 wrote:

I'm happy with how it's progressing, it can be difficult to flesh out the characters, and get the audience to empathize with them, and invest time in getting to know them better, but it seems to be doing all that just fine.

This is a very important point to understand. In order for the viewer to care what happens to any character, they must first get to know them. The show is trying to do that as best as it can with the limited time it has to tell the story. Then when the sh*t starts to hit the fan, and it will, we care, we are shocked, we throw the TV out the window or at least the remote at the wall etc. Without the early setting of stage, proper introduction of characters and all that, we wouldn't care who dies, who's maimed, or who gets through unscathed. Some may call that slow paced, but think of it as a novel, it's based on one after all, and how the story-telling works in novels. If you were expecting non-stop action with blood spurting and pointless sex then there's always Spartacus. Oh, there will be blood spurting and sex in GoT, we've already had a bit of that in the first two episodes, but they are not the focus of the show, and never will be. Not everyone will like this show, some because they had misinformed expectations and were expecting something totally different (e.g. Lord of the Rings, orcs, wizards, magic fireballs, h*ll yeah!), some because they just don't dig this kind of stories, and some because the gritty realism is too much for them.

Just a warning, when you get attached to some character, remember that George R.R. Martin loves to kill off main characters. There will be casualties even among the "good" guys (there aren't really any such in this show). Remember what Robert said to Ned in episode two: "There's a war coming." In war people die, people of all walks of life--the good and the bad, the poor and the rich, the healthy and the sick, adults and children; war does not discriminate or stratify the dead. Winter is coming, yes, but in this story that can and does mean more than just the season.

I love the show, even though there have been a couple of things I'd hoped would be shown more true to the books (Daenerys and Drogo's early relationship for instance). And I had hoped for a couple of more episodes for the beginning since the pacing has been too fast in the first two episodes. Still, this has been so far a lot more faithful of an adaptation than anything else I've seen and read. The Lord of the Rings doesn't even come close, considering how much they changed from the book to film (Faramir, Sam and Frodo's relationship, Arwen, Helm's Deep etc.).

X5-109

[9]May 5, 2011
    • level: 5

Ok. For those who haven't read the books let me tell you this. It is writen in the point of view from alot of characters.

therefore the show has to spend some episodes building up the characters so we can get to know them. As the show has followed the books i will tell you one thing. WAR IS COMING. DEATH AND DISTRUCTION, and like someone said before people will die.

Don't want to say too much more as I don't want to post any spoilers.

CjTl2005

[10]May 5, 2011
    • level: 11

To me it's like this:

I love this show. I haven't read the books so I don't have that element of knowing what's next. Still, I find value in introducing and developing characters a bit before letting the you know what hit the fan. It amazes me how many people don't even care. Just give them some boobs, guts and rolling heads and they're happy. BTW, the first episode had all of those things.

Maybe some of the mystery is missing from the recent episodes. I mean, the white walkers -- we saw them at the beginning, and may see them again soon, but that's really the only mystery so far. The Lannisters are predictable backstabbing mafia style thugs complete with the brat (Joffrey). Whenever I see them, I want to break something.

Most of the other character motivations seem known at this point except for Dany T. I like the way her character is developing right now. She's accepting her role and beginning to embrace it. It really does look like her brother's scheme will backfire on him.

Even though I feel like some of the stories have reached a point of stagnation (as in, something's got to happen soon), it still feels like everything is just beginning.

saphire382

[11]May 6, 2011

i know i'm going to be attacked for this but really it is a complete anti climax from the previewsand boring. i'm only watching to see if it picks up pace.

if after 2 more episodes and it is still this ridiculously slow then i'll stop

the only interesting moment was the end of episode 1 which made me watch the second episode

TheSteelRat

[13]May 6, 2011
    • level: 10

boom-moo wrote:
    Heather_H wrote:

I approached the show with no expectations at all and I'm loving it so far. It's what I expected it to be in the best way possible

Not quite "no expectations at all" then Laughing

I have only watched the first episode so far ... but from what I have seen its looking good. Just needs to hold the audience - as most will think this is all going to be about the white walkers and sword fights - which it is not, its about the characters, there are few sword fights, battles and very little about what is north of the wall really (I have read all the books).

batt1230

[14]May 6, 2011
    • level: 3
    this is going to be ok i think.. I agree it is a little slow but it is getting better

SuziHB

[15]May 9, 2011
    • level: 7

boom-moo wrote:
    Heather_H wrote:

That's my opinion also. It's epic and I love it.

Can't wait to see Daenerys' baby.

Shane747

[16]May 9, 2011
    • level: 6

Its slow. Not as epic as I expected. I expected lots of action, little character development. Instead, theres LOTs of character development and very little action. The plot is unfolding quite slow because of the many different plot lines I think. They can't fit it all into one episode and make each episode very exciting. That said, I'm glad the show is more mature then I originally thought (especially after reading the IGN review ). Its different from most fantasy and thats a good thing.

MovieMark

[17]May 9, 2011
    • level: 31
    There are too many characters and not enough meat given to flesh them out. (So Far.)

erzueco

[18]May 10, 2011

My brother recommended this show, didnt have a clue what it was all about but i gotta say just lovin it so far. They should air a new episode every night LoL.

Also glad to see that its been renewed for a 2nd season which gives it a longer life and a reasonable time to gather some high ratings along the whole season. Seen far too many good series starting up only so that some networks can axe it a couple of episodes in.

FluxZero

[19]May 10, 2011
    • level: 1

I just finished ep 4 and have to say Imthoroughlyenjoying the show.

I found it necessary for the first few ep to be as they were. As others have said there are vast number of characters and you need time to develop them. With the climax of ep 4 I think we will see the story pace quicken. Daenery is coming into her own, and there looks to beinterestingdevelopments happening there. Over all after only 4 ep we have a very promising show with high quality production.

eretakbe

[20]May 11, 2011
    • level: 4

Very good cast and the show is great