Game of Thrones Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

Official Discussion S2E02 "The Night Lands"

GabrielaFab

[1]Apr 9, 2012
    • level: 2

[Why was Rakharo killed in this episode?]

Pointless death if you ask me!

He doesn't die in the books . George RR Martin may be killing all of our favourite characters but he is doing it to serve a purpose. The north would have never rebelled if not for Ned Stark's death and Dany would have never found the power and courage to become who she is if she hasn't lost Drogo and her baby.

What purpose does Rakharo's death serve? Irri will get super pissed and sail out to conquer Essos?

pfffffff

[Mod edited the title to make this thread the official discussion for "The Night Lands" and also added the first sentence to make sense of the post.]

Edited on 04/09/2012 4:29pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RitariKnight

[2]Apr 9, 2012
    • level: 27

GabrielaFab wrote:

[Why was Rakharo killed in this episode?]

Pointless death if you ask me!

He doesn't die in the books . George RR Martin may be killing all of our favourite characters but he is doing it to serve a purpose. The north would have never rebelled if not for Ned Stark's death and Dany would have never found the power and courage to become who she is if she hasn't lost Drogo and her baby.

What purpose does Rakharo's death serve? Irri will get super pissed and sail out to conquer Essos?

pfffffff

There is a very simple explanation for his death. The actor playing him could not return full time to the show for the second season because of conflicting schedules, so they removed him from the show and added a new character (Kovarro) to take Rakharo's place. Also, a certain other character dies in the book in the Red Waste, but now that character will not die as Rakharo has taken that characters place as the one to die in the desert. These things happen in TV shows.

Nakama

[3]Apr 10, 2012

Well they could have changed the actor, like they did with Gendry...he does look different than season's 1 Gendry.

SPOILERS!

But if you are implying that Doreah does not die in the TV show, then great! I like Doreah!

RitariKnight

[4]Apr 10, 2012
    • level: 27

Nakama wrote:

Well they could have changed the actor, like they did with Gendry...he does look different than season's 1 Gendry.

SPOILERS!

But if you are implying that Doreah does not die in the TV show, then great! I like Doreah!

Gendry is still played by the same actor as in season 1, Joe Dempsie.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Doreah will survive the Red Waste, but instead Dany lost Rakharo and Silver there.

edit: made the last bit more understandable.

Edited on 04/10/2012 2:38pm

GabrielaFab

[5]Apr 18, 2012
    I still believe they could have changed the actor. Rakharo was really important to Dany plus Doreah was replaced later on in the books by Missandei ,wich i think is a way better and smarter character than Doreah ,so Danny didnt need her that much...
    anyway....what is done ,is done....no use arguing now