Game of Thrones Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

Official Game of Thrones S01E01 Discussion And Views

honorablechoice

[1]Apr 17, 2011
    • level: 3

I am rather satisfied with the opening episode. As it is the first one can't really form a general opinion on the show as a whole.. Thus restrain from granting such an opinion within this thread, however, one can speculate as to what they think will happen next, and or, should happen.. Feel free discuss pros and cons of what has been seen thus far.. What you hoped might have happend.. I personally was shocked at the end.. Poor boy.. I wonder how this will effect things.

I thought the terrain and environment was well suited for this story.. I'm just getting to know the characters.. But I must say.. There are some villains within this story.. And some potential heroes.. What are the characters you like, and why? I am curious to see how the "bastard son" as some would see him.. Does in the episodes to come. Although I can't state my favorite character or list some above others as of yet.. Like I said.. We are just at the beginning, and I am hopeful..

Let us see the characters continue to act towards the situations of which they are places, and not let the episodes impact of what has taken place been lost by the next.. I hope to see some great battle scenes ahead, adventure, black magic, all sorts of fantastic things to holds one's interest in a great story.. Those barbarians of sorts make for an interesting aspect.. Although I am most anxious to see that which stirs beyond the wall.. I wonder.. Could it be lord of the rings.. Yet for TV? Lol. Perhaps better.. And with greater depth.. Let us continue to see the characters evolve as individuals and as groups.. I wonder

Great start, as I believe it to have laid the ground work for the adventure's beginnings** I hope to see much more within it's future.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mynameisjohnas

[2]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 6

I liked it well enough I guess. It wasn't the most amazing thing I've ever seen on television for sure, but considering it was the premiere it was good enough to convince me to tune in next week. I haven't read the series (which may turn out to be a good thing since adaptations hardly ever live up to the original) but everything seems to be line for some decent expansion. The characters, even the minor ones, are highly detailed and developed (loved the White Walkers), the acting is great, the dialogue is pretty decent and I agree with you that thesettings seem to be well suited for the show. I say that not only in regards to the visual scenery, but with how the settings themselves seemly correspond to the supposed nature of characters within them (kind of a chicken and egg thing whereby we wonder whether the characters are products of their environment or vice versa).

Anyways, as for what I'm hoping to see more of I'd say that like you I'd also like to see some decent battle scenes and some description/use of the magic in the universe. Likewise, as far as characters go, I'd be more than happy to see howTyrion Lannister andDaenerys Targaryen develop this season since, to me anyways, they seems like the most interesting.

Edited on 04/18/2011 12:57am
    Edited 2 total times.

ktchong

[3]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 1

The first season/book does not have any magic. So do not expect to see any during this season.

*Spoiler Alert*

Magic is tied to dragon; as dragon became extinct, so did magic; (and dragons are tied to the Targaryen bloodline.)

Dragons will return by the end of first season/book, and magic will resurface in the second season/book.

Still, magic will remain uncommon throughout the series. Only a few individuals (about two) will have the ability to use magic.

Edited on 04/18/2011 3:16am
    Edited 3 total times.

Kartana

[4]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 9
    The Bore is Coming! The first book is so meh (IMHO)!

oldsage

[5]Apr 18, 2011
    Kartana wrote:
    The Bore is Coming! The first book is so meh (IMHO)!

Wow, considering the awards it has won and the fact that it's been a bestseller for pretty much every one of the 15 years it has been released, looks like a lot of people disagree with that view.

Regarding the first episode, it was really well done. The only casting issue I have is with Lena Headey. I really like her as an actress in the 300 and the Sarah Connors Chronicles, but for some reason she just doesn't look like how Cersei is described in the book. I'll definitely give her the benefit of the doubt, otherwise, HBO should be really proud of themselves.

ElmoKajaky

[6]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 8
    I like Lena as Cersei. So far, she seems perfect (granted, I don't recall how she is supposed to look from the book, but it's been years since I read the most recent one, ahem).

Mervin_J

[7]Apr 18, 2011
    All hype and no substance... I thought this was a kids fantasy adventure, I'd still think that if it wasn't for the adult content and nudity.

lolamustang

[8]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 6

it started like a fantasy should ...

let's see where it takes us

(was thinking the same about Cersei - she don't look like it)

Edited on 04/18/2011 2:16pm
    Edited 2 total times.

kok_warlock

[9]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 11

I was a pretty good first episode, first episode, setting up everything, and showing how treacherous everybody is or can be for their own purposes, it was what you expect, one big and long setup for all things to come, the ending tho, it was awesome.

About Lena Hadley, at first I didn't like that casting choice, mainly because I kinda dislike her in 300 and hated her in Sarah Connor Chronicles, but the later was probally because the show sucked IMO, and her character was badly written and filled with clich├ęs.

She is the type of actress that you hate playing the hero, and love playing the villain, I think she is gonna be great in this role.

Edited on 04/18/2011 2:21pm

penelope1985

[10]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 21
    Great pilot, following the plot of the book, only focusing on the good stuff, and great cliffhunger at the end. GREAT PILOT.

captain_am

[11]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 4
    Please learn to read, then read the serie. It's the most adult and well written book I've ever seen.

Yaspaa

[12]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 79
    Not sure what to think so far. The kid getting shoved out of the window was unexpected, but te show wasn't really what I was expecting, not having read the books. I'll still tune in.

RitariKnight

[13]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 27

Yaspaa wrote:
    Not sure what to think so far. The kid getting shoved out of the window was unexpected, but te show wasn't really what I was expecting, not having read the books. I'll still tune in.

Just out of curiosity, what did you expect from the show?

immergavia

[14]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 2

While I admire HBO's decision to dramatize a fantasy story, if seems as if the producers dislike researching the genre. In every genre of fiction writers range from superb through average down to execrable, and in the fantasy genre "Game of Thrones" lies south of average. It is an utterly ordinary, derivative, and not very imaginative fantasy story. It shares shelfspace in the few remaining bookstores with hundreds of similar books. A few rise above the crowd, but not this one.

And so, I ask myself, since HBO is a bastion of quality TV (Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Treme, Boardwalk Empire, Sopranos), all characterised by wonderful storytelling and supeb acting, why did it choose such a bland fantasy to bring to the screen?

High marks for the look of the show, poor marks for the story and the dialogue (the author copied plot lines as old as Shakespeare, without, apparently, having learned to write compellingly), and middling marks for the pedestrian acting -- no weak thespian links, but nothing memorable.

It is an "adult" show only inasmuch as it has profanity and nudity. I'd prefer that it be an adult show by possessing a lively imagination, compelling storylines, and memorable acting.

"Game of Thrones" may turn out to be a popular hit for HBO, but it tarnishes its reputation for producing shows of quality. Strip this show of nudity and "F Bombs", and it would be perfect for network TV, where popularity trumps quality all the time.

Which works of fantasy should HBO have dramatised? The list is legion. Google "Ballantine Adult Fantasy series wiki" and start from there.

Better luck next time, HBO.

Frenz9

[15]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 10
    About time we got a descent mature fantasy show.

Enjoyed it, will tune in again hope it goes well! 

IrRyo

[16]Apr 19, 2011

From the point of view of someone who has read the books; I think that the first episode was a good representation of the storyline - particularly the characterisation.

However, from the point of view of someone who has no idea it is even based upon a book; many of my friends found themselves thoroughly confused with what was happening - especially when it cut to Daenerys perspective.

The main issue with watching the series without having read the book(s) is that you are unlikely to pick up the intricate nuances and symbolism contained within the storyline. To hone in on an example from the first episode; when they find the dead Dire Wolf it has been killed by a Stags antler. The symbolism here is that the Dire Wolf is the symbol of the Stark Family and the Stagrepresents theBaratheons; thus it is a bad omen/fore-warning of things to come. Further to this, Jon Snow states that the 5 remaining pups should be split among Eddards children; excluding himself, the bastard, from the count - an action which ultimately helps sway Eddards decision. Though these may seem trivial examples they're details which really add to the story as a whole and help develop the characters.

When I first heard they were to create a series around the book my initial query was how they would 'deal' with the constant changing of perspectives; whether it would 'flow' well or not. At the moment I am still intrigued enough to follow the series and hope that it does pick up in the later episodes.

As for the most interesting characters, in my view, the ones of particular interest are (in order of interest); Tyrion (by far the best character in the book), Jon Snow, Arya and Daenerys...

Edited on 04/19/2011 7:21am

Kitanishi

[17]Apr 19, 2011
    Yaspaa wrote:

If you expected some sort of save the world plot, dragons and magic, don't expect that, not until(and if) HBO makes season 2 or three. And even then any kind of fantasy-ish elements are more like a background for characters

Think of it more like "Sopranos: Medieval Edition" or "The authors of Rome tv show writing lord of the rings". Its more about political stuff, manipulations, secrets, diplomacy and trying to get the throne, than saving the world.

The most "Fantasy" place you might see is the Wall and behind it, but 99% of characters are way too busy playing their little manipulative games to turn their attention to what is happening there.(which, imo, is one of the main points of plot)

TracyTrouble

[18]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 10
    Excellent; can't wait for more.

boom-moo

[19]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 75
    lolamustang wrote:
    it started like a fantasy should... let's see where it takes us.
    I agree, as someone who started watching without any expectations I'm enjoying a lot what I've seen so far. Granted that the amount of new information can be confusing at times but that's a given.

Starprincess13

[20]Apr 20, 2011
    • level: 24

I really enjoyed the first episode. I thought they did a really good job of being faithful to the books and I loved the sets. I also thought the acting was quite good. I haven't seen Lena in anything before so I didn't have a prior views of her. I thought she did a good job so far of playing Cersei. I can't wait to see the next episode!!!