Game of Thrones Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

Official Season 2 News, Casting, Videos, and the Like

RitariKnight

[1]Jun 17, 2011
    • level: 27

Game of Thrones was renewed for a second season after the premiere episode of season 1 had aired. With season 1 ending it's time to look ahead and start a topic for season 2 news, casting, videos, and the like.

I'll start with the official press release from HBO about season 2 production:

Production for season two of the hit HBO series Game of Thrones is set to begin Monday, July 25. Once again, production for the series will be based in Belfast, Northern Ireland. The series will shoot at the Paint Hall Studio in Belfast, as well as various locations in Northern Ireland. Additional locations will be announced as they are confirmed. The production continues to receive funding from Northern Ireland Screen.

Based on the best-selling fantasy book series by George R.R. Martin, the ten-episode first season of GAME OF THRONES launched April 17, exclusively on HBO, with the finale scheduled to debut Sunday, June 19.

Casting, writers, and directors for season two will be announced as soon as they are confirmed.

We should expect to get casting news soon. San Diego Comic Con ends just prior to the second season's production start, so we might get some announcements there if not before.

New second season characters will include at least the following:

Lord Stannis Baratheon is played by Stephen Dillane

Melisandre of Asshai is played by Carice van Houten

Ser Davos Seaworth is played by Liam Cunningham

Brienne of Tarth is played by Gwendoline Christie

Yara (=Asha) Greyjoy is played by Gemma Whelan

Ygritte is played by ?

Xaro Xhoan Daxos is played by Nonso Anozie

Margaery Tyrell is played by Natalie Dormer

Eddison "Dolorous Edd" Tollett is played by Ben Crompton

Matthos Seaworth is played by Kerr Logan

Jaqen H'ghar (this character was seen hooded in the cage in Fire and Blood) is played by Tom Wlaschiha

Hallyne the Pyromancer is played by Roy Dotrice

Gilly is played by Hannah Murray

Alton Lannister (a non-book character) is played by Karl Davies

Lord Roose Bolton is played by Michael McElhatton

Craster is played by Robert Pugh

Jeyne (Westerling ?) is played by Oona Chaplin

Ser Dontos Hollard is played by ?

Lord Balon Greyjoy is played by Patrick Malahide

Podrick Payne is played by Daniel Portman

Pyat Pree is played by Ian Hanmore

Rorge is played by Andy Beckwith

Biter is played by Gerard Jordan

This next batch has not been confirmed to be in the second season, but they should be there:

Euron Greyjoy "the Damphair" (may be cut from Season 2)

Quaithe

Black Lorren

Meera and Jojen Reed

Ramsay Snow

Strong Belwas

Arstan Whitebeard (this casting will be very easy)

Lord Hoster Tully (may be cut)

Edmure Tully (may be cut)

Ser Brynden Tully "the Blackfish" (it's very possible he's been cut)

Ser Amory Lorch

Vargo Hoat and maybe a few members of the Brace Companions (Qyburn, Septon Utt, Shagwell, Fat Zollo)

Some of Ser Gregor Clegane's men (Chiswyck, Polliver, the Tickler, Dunsen, Raff the Sweetling)

Weese

Qhorin Halfhand

Rattleshirt

There's a lot of new characters in the second book as you can see, the above does not even include all of them. Some of them will be cut, others might get combined (e.g. Rorge and Biter could be either cut or combined into one character, they were both seen sitting in the cage in Fire and Blood, so I guess they won't be cut nor combined), and some will probably be demoted to extras (like two of Drogo's bloodriders were in season 1). We'll find out soon enough, although in some cases it may be we find out when the season airs.

I'll post more when there's more information. But for now, we know the production begins July 25 in Belfast.

Edited on 09/02/2011 12:27pm
    Edited 19 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

G3ckOz

[2]Jun 17, 2011
    • level: 13

Just hope they'll make more than 10 episodes this time around, what i'm curious however is if HBO has in plan more Seasons or it's "oh ok, for now let's go with Season 2 then we'll see"

Edited on 06/17/2011 3:01pm
    Edited 2 total times.

RitariKnight

[3]Jun 17, 2011

G3ckOz wrote:

Just hope they'll make more than 10 episodes this time around, what i'm curious however is if HBO has in plan more Seasons or it's "oh ok, for now let's go with Season 2 then we'll see"

No decision on further seasons beyond the second one has been made. A decision on season 3 will probably be made after season 2 has started airing. Season 1 DVD & Blue-ray sales will probably be factored in along with subscription numbers and international demand before they make a decision. And they might want to see the opening ratings for season 2 as well, although ratings don't generally mean much to HBO.

At the moment the show runners are looking at 10 episodes for season 2. It's not set in stone, though, so they may still change that if it doesn't work with 10 episodes, but I think they'll try their hardest to make it work in 10.

AmirMishali

[4]Jun 18, 2011
    • level: 3
    Some remarks on the castings:

Meera and Jojen Reed - really need only one of them

Strong Belwas - could be delayed to s3

Amory Lorch - could be combined with Gregor

Jayne Westerling - isn't she offscreen in book 3? anyways, she will probably be cast already for s2.

headtoad

[5]Jun 20, 2011
    • level: 5

i love the show can't wait for season 2 and many more seasons lets hope

Benowar4ever

[6]Jun 20, 2011
    • level: 2

Interview with Benioff and Weiss (topic: second season): http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/06/as-game-of-thrones-nears-its-finale-showrunners-david-benioff-and-dan-weiss-talk-about-season-two.html

RitariKnight

[7]Jun 23, 2011

The first casting news is here!

Natalie Dormer has been cast in the role of Margaery Tyrell. She was Anne Boleyn in the Tudors.

Edited on 06/23/2011 11:30am

boom-moo

[8]Jun 24, 2011
    • level: 75
    RitariKnight wrote:

The first casting news is here!

Natalie Dormer has been cast in the role of Margaery Tyrell. She was Anne Boleyn in the Tudors.

Wow, very interesting, I'm pleased with the choice of actress. Thanks

nikhil_p4

[9]Jun 26, 2011
    • level: 4

G3ckOz wrote:

Does anyone feel the first season was a bit rushed? Don't get me wrong I love the show and the way HBO has put so much detail into it is fantastic! But after the book I can't help but feel things were too rushed towards the end...I was expecting a 12-13 episode season. I do hope Season 2 is longer.

CjTl2005

[10]Jun 28, 2011
    • level: 11
    Many thought it was too slow, at least for the first 5 or 6 episodes. Personally I didn't have any issues with the pacing at all. I thought if anything, more than 10 episodes would have been nice.

JonStryker

[11]Jul 4, 2011
    • level: 12

(Spoiler deleted by mod.)

Why list him in the "casting" section?

Edited on 07/06/2011 6:23am
    Edited 2 total times.

CjTl2005

[12]Jul 8, 2011
    • level: 11

The role of Brienne of Tarth will be played by Gwendoline Christie. G.R.R. Martin dropped some pretty obvious hints for anyone who knows much about the actress. He confirmed it here.

RitariKnight

[13]Jul 11, 2011

CjTl2005 wrote:

The role of Brienne of Tarth will be played by Gwendoline Christie. G.R.R. Martin dropped some pretty obvious hints for anyone who knows much about the actress. He confirmed it here.

Correct.

Also, according to some sources Asha Greyjoy's name has been changed for the show to Yara Greyjoy, and Gemma Whelan has been cast as her. But this is so far unconfirmed.

boom-moo

[14]Jul 14, 2011
    • level: 75
    Not much but hey: 2 (yet unnamed) Camelot actors to appear in GOT's season 2 Source.

amaryllis88

[15]Jul 16, 2011
    • level: 20
    That's really cool to hear ^^ I'm very curious to know who they will be, I can't wait to find out who they plan on casting, and what roles they choose to take from the second book. Having just finished it, they can take the story in so many ways, with a treasure chest of characters to choose from!

Tsokoa

[16]Jul 17, 2011
    • level: 2

I hope it's not Arthur. Could we get Ralph Fiennes as Stannis as the new star of the show after Sean Bean ?

Isn't the actress for Maergery a bit old for the part, she is supposed to be something like 19, isn't she ?

RitariKnight

[17]Jul 19, 2011

Stephen Dillane has been cast as Stannis and Carice van Houten as Melisandre.

Also, Maester Cressen is most likely being played by Oliver Ford Davies, but waiting on confirmation on that one. Confirmed.

edit: Liam Cunningham will play Ser Davos.

Edited on 07/20/2011 1:02am

RitariKnight

[18]Jul 23, 2011

According to Access Hollywood season 2 will shoot also in Iceland. It will probably be used for the outdoor, beyond-the-Wall scenes involving Jon Snow and the Night's Watch.

Another revelation according to AH is the inclusion of several new characters, and by new, I mean not-in-the-books kind of new. I have some theories on who some of them might be, but revealing that would spoil a part of the plot for some of the main characters, so I won't say any more on that. It, however, will be interesting to see who these new characters will be. It turns out the AH writer misrepresented the actor (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) being interviewed, and the new characters he meant are actually Stannis, Melisandre etc. from the book.

The show creators David Benioff & D.B. Weiss promised at the Comic-Con that there would be a battle in season 2. The talk was then of the episode book author G.R.R.M. was writing for the second season, so expect to see a possibly huge battle in episode 9 of season 2. The book version is at least spectacular.

The Comic-Con GoT panel didn't really reveal anything else on season 2. It was a nice panel, but concentrated mostly on the panelists' favorite this and favorite that parts of the show. Winter-Is-Coming.net has links to a full video of the panel (in five parts), if anybody's interested.

Edited on 07/24/2011 2:57pm
    Edited 2 total times.

RitariKnight

[19]Aug 2, 2011

Asha Greyjoy's name change to Yara Greyjoy is now official and she will be played by Gemma Whelan. I can't say I fully understand the name change (presumably to avoid confusion between Osha and Asha), since Osha's name hasn't been even mentioned in the show yet. And since Yara is pretty much as close to Arya as Asha is to Osha.

edit: Nonso Anozie will play Xaro Xhoan Daxos.

edit2: Kerr Logan will play Matthos Seaworth.

Edited on 08/02/2011 2:34pm
    Edited 2 total times.

columpd

[20]Aug 3, 2011
    • level: 9
    i hope they combine book 2 and 3 together as unlike bk1 there is not enough in book 2 to make 10 epps