Game of Thrones Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

Official Spoiler Discussion Thread

RitariKnight

[1]May 17, 2011
    • level: 27

This thread is for anyone wanting to discuss the book vs. show without having to care about avoiding spoilers.

So, if you've read the books, and I do mean all four books, knock yourselves out with any kind of spoilery discussions and civilized arguments on whether the Targaryen's hair color is correct or why they don't have their signature violet eye color, or why did Littlefinger tell Sansa about the Hound's childhood and not Sandor himself, or how will the Red Wedding be realized on screen, or will we see a proper rendition of the Battle of the Blackwater or will it only be talked about in the show, and anything else you might come up that would spoil the show for the non-readers.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SuziHB

[2]Jun 17, 2011
    • level: 7

It is hard to comment RitariKnight because I have not read all for books and maybe there are more people like me BUT I am almost finished the second book. My adult son has read all the books and has revealed a couple of spoilers to me. One was quite ambiguous with him saying " Don't get too attached to any of the adults." so I was not surprised when Robert died from drunken misadventure and Ned was the victim of Joffrey's insanity. I have also been told that down the track a marriage of alliance/convenience is made between Sansa and Tyrion! In the second book Tyrion makes it quite clear he hates Joffrey and he gives protection to Sansa after she is beaten in front of most of the people in the Castle (except Joffrey's mummy) on Joffrey's orders for her brother Robb's killing in battle of one of his kin. Tyrion walks in on the beating and virtually saves Sansa and gives her care and refuge in The Hand's Tower because he is now not just the Uncle of the BratKing, he is also the Hand of the King. A position he does not take lightly.

Also, Dany's Dragons hatch and are her little pets, yet to grow too large for perching on her shoulders (in the second book).

Edited on 06/17/2011 5:41pm

vioray

[3]Jul 9, 2011
    • level: 3

just finished the fourth book. one thing I am wondering about is how they're going to avoid a casting spoiler about a certain Whitebeard. I found that to be quite a surprise in the books but the cast list is going to give that one away for the show surely

amaryllis88

[4]Jul 17, 2011
    • level: 20

I just finished the second book, and have since begun reading the third book. I can't put them down! I also can't wait to see how the writers/producers will be bringing what happens in the book to on-screen. I'm curious as to what they want to show the audience, and what they'll maybe hint to, or leave out altogether.
    I'm curious to see if they'll cast Mance Rayder, I'd like to see his caravan of Wildlings...all those people Dani meets, and the shenanigans that Arya and her crew get into.

Edited to add: Just thought of a question, why were they rushing to move Robert's bastards from King's Landing? If they can't inherit anything, why was Gendry and Edric moved? I understand that the Lannisters were probably going to have them killed, but what threat could they possibly pose to them?

Edited on 07/18/2011 11:43am

vioray

[5]Jul 18, 2011
    Joffrey does not look anything like a Baratheon child. the presence of bastards who do look Baratheon draws attention to that. it's one of the key things that both Ned and his predecessor noticed. Cersi wants to avoid anyone else noticing and so sentences them all to death

amaryllis88

[6]Jul 19, 2011
    • level: 20
    vioray wrote:
    Joffrey does not look anything like a Baratheon child. the presence of bastards who do look Baratheon draws attention to that. it's one of the key things that both Ned and his predecessor noticed. Cersi wants to avoid anyone else noticing and so sentences them all to death

Thanks for answering my question, that DOES make loads more sense!!

Nakama

[7]Apr 10, 2012
    • level: 2

The TV show did not bother with Edric.

qtwanderer

[8]Apr 10, 2012
    • level: 27
    He might pop-up after Stannis takes Storm End.

Nakama

[9]Apr 11, 2012
    • level: 2

Yeah I guess Edric might pop-up...

Wondering where the writers are bringing Petyr since they are showing a lot more of him in the TV show than in the books. Did not like that he mouthed off to Cersei, way out of character. He is supposed to be sly & cunning, that was stupid antagonizing the queen reagent.
    With the pimp putting his prostitutes in line thing, I guess that does happen behind the scenes. Maybe Petyr is being portrayed as bad & conniving now so it won't be such a shock later when we discover some of his plans...

MarkBoyle1

[10]May 2, 2012

Has anyone else taken note of all the H.P. Lovecraft homages GRRM has mixed into the books? He really goes to town with it in A Feast For Crows.

First of all, we have the Drowned God's favourite homily, which goes, "What is dead can never die, but rises again, harder and stronger". Compare that to Lovecraft's famous couplet, "That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die". Next we move on to the chapter wherein Brienne of Tarth is hunting for Sansa Stark in the company of Podrick Payne and "Nimble" Dick Crabb. As they make their way to the ruined castle known as "The Whispers" on Crackclaw Point, Dick tries to give them the willies (please excuse the pun Tongue out) by telling them horror stories about humanoid creatures he calls "squishers". His descriptions of the monsters and their habits bear a great deal of resemblance to the infamous "Deep Ones" from Lovecraft's The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Finally, there is my favourite reference (and the one that had me laughing the most) - the opening line of that very same chapter reads, "East of Maidenpool the hills rose wild"; to be contrasted with the opening line of HPL's The Colour Out Of Space, which runs, "West of Arkham the hills rise wild".

Ah, you can always rely upon a fantasy or horror writer for the odd Lovecraft tribute.SmileAnyone spot any others?

Edited on 05/01/2012 11:37pm
    Edited 2 total times.

nahga1

[11]May 2, 2012
    • level: 8

no but what's dead may never die is blatantly obvious. the drowned god too , though there's another author who expanded on cthulhu's lore a bit and pretty much fleshed out a pantheon of similar deities. maybe that inspired martin to detail the got mythologies a bit more. with the lord of light, the seven, the red god and all. the soul reaver games had drowned gods and a drowned abbey as well. lovecraft pops up everywhere.

i didnt realize it until reading innsmouth, which inspired 'the thing that should not be' by metallica. there's even a band called 'stranger eons'.

ionee24

[12]May 3, 2012
    • level: 32

I guess the number of character that will appear depend strictly on the number of seasons the show is going to get.

Game of Thrones is groundbreaking in the sense the characters who push the story forward only introduce the characters that would move the story forward after them. That way,what was perceived as the main characters last season, were only the brackground story for the characters we perceived as the main leads this season, which in turn, will provide the necesary background for the characters we will perceive as the lead the season after this one and so on and so forth.

Edited on 05/03/2012 10:33am

MoRestrepo

[14]May 22, 2012
    • level: 4

It feels really ackward now to compare the Arya portrayed in season 2 to the Arya of the books. In the original story, by the time of her escape of Harrenhal, Arya is already prepared to kill at will, no remorse or second thoughts about it. At least two parts of her story in "A Song Of Ice And Fire" have been re-scripted in such a way that the scheming little girl that is potrayed in season 2 is completely different from the fighter she trained to become in season 1 of Game Of Thrones. I am utterly disappointed that the show cut out completely how Arya was decissively instrumental in a battle that gave control of Harrenhal to Roose Bolton after the bloody mummers turned cloaks and instead was shown fleeing Harrenhal in Ep.8 of season 2.