Game of Thrones Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

Official thread for Episode 5 "The Wolf and the Lion"

SuziHB

[1]May 17, 2011
    • level: 7

What an episode!

Catelyn takes her Lannister prisoner to the Eyrie to see her sister. Her sister is still 'nursing' her 6-8 year old son and is nuttier than a picnic bar! Her son isn't very balanced either.

A band of men attack Catelyn's group on the way and Tyrion proves that being short does not mean he cannot cause damage and death when Catelyn unties him so he can fight the attackers. Catelyn tells her sister that no harm is to come to Tyrion but he is thrown into a very unusual 'cell'. This episode ends with no doubt how much hatred the Lannisters, Jaime in particular, feel for the Starks.

I found the scene of two young men, one beingRenly Baratheon I believe, very intriguing and slightly erotic. His 'friend' is shaving him with a straight bladed razor at the end of the task there is no doubt what the shaver is doing to the shavee. This is a 15+ episode, as far as age appropriateness is concerned IMHO.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

amaryllis88

[2]May 17, 2011
    • level: 20
    This episode was amazing!! The only sad thing was not seeing much of Daenarys, but I can look forward to that in the next one. Loved the arguing between Ned and the King, especially with trying to put his armor on in the beginning. The way Ned is going about finding more info on Jon Arryn's murder is awesome, I'm glad he's coming along nicely, but I'm sure he hasn't exactly figured it out yet either. I know, when we heard those 2 men talking, the ones that Arya was spying on, they made it sound like Ned would figure it out soon since he had the book.

I'm not sure how I feel about Lord Varys quite yet, he's warning Ned, giving him enough information, on a "need to know" basis, but he's also fraternizing with that other guy, discussing killing Ned...so I'm quite torn as to where his loyalties lie. Maybe he's like Littlefinger, and is only in it for himself. Does the book only hold information concerning the history of lineage and families in the Seven Kingdoms? I'm trying to figure out how that will come into play.

I loved the scene between the 2 men, Renley and was the other one Loras Flowers? Will Loras be able to toughen him up as he needs to be? Arya chasing the cat, the cat didn't look as menacing as I would've imagined it to be....and I loved that she kept on being mistaken for a boy. That could really come in handy to her as she's growing up.

Catelyn's sister is looney tunes, and her son still nursing from her is disgusting to say the least. I wonder if she got that way from living with the Baratheons and Lannisters...how'd she lose her mind like that? I think at that particular moment, when Tyrion and Cat were standing in front of her, I think they both realized how "mad" Lysa is...and that eerie statement her son said, about seeing Tyrion fly. I also found it wild that the dungeon/cell in which Tyrion was thrown into, was that far up off the ground.

And the end....I hated to see Ned and Jaime fighting, mainly because I didn't want to see Ned hurt, and 1 of the guards had to go and stick that spear thing in Ned's back leg...I'm glad Jaime at least cut him for doing that, it's as if the guard knew J needed help? Definitely can't wait for the next episode!!!

SuziHB

[3]May 17, 2011

Just a thought... when the son of Lysa about wanting to see Tyrion fly... maybe a big bird can enter those prison cells and take the prisoners, hence making them 'fly'.

Lord Varys is hard to dislike even though he is villain-ish. Arya is mistaken for a boy all the time because she doesn't wear dresses or behave like a girl. She was filthy dirty when she got back to the gate. Loved what she said to the guard. It will be good to watch her grow. When Ned had the heart to heart with her in episode 4 telling her what girls do and their place in the World.. Arya says 'that's not me' and of she trots with Ned looking torn, after her.

It was really nice to see Bram at his lessons. I am so happy he did not die.

I am still mesmerised by Tyrion's voice and cultured English, especially since Peter Dinklage was born in the New Jersey USA.

King Robert demanding Daenarys and her baby be killed is nothing short of paranoia and he, Robert is called the usurper after killing the rightful King.

I loved the scene where his armour would not fit and the poor servant was so confused about what to say to Ned's comment re the King being fat. Robert then sends the boy on a fool's errand looking for a breast plate expander..HA!

The episodes just don't come quickly enough. Loving this show.

krinks

[4]May 18, 2011

I'm loving this show so far. I have never read the series of books, so I have no idea where the story is going.

I must say that I love the little girl who plays Arya. She is a great little actress. The scene where she is introduced to the swordmaster was beautiful, and perfectly played by her and the swordmaster. I also loved it in this episode when she tells off the guards at the gate. I'm looking forward to seeing more of her in the coming episodes.

boom-moo

[5]May 18, 2011
    • level: 75
    SuziHB wrote:

Just a thought... when the son of Lysa about wanting to see Tyrion fly... maybe a big bird can enter those prison cells and take the prisoners, hence making them 'fly'.

I thought he meant throwing him off the cliff but now that I think about it, you don't need to lock anyone in the fancy view dungeon for that *wonders*

MissMaple

[6]May 22, 2011
    • level: 10
    The thing with the cell is, that it is totally open to the abyss beneath (as you could see from a breathtaking shot...), and the trickling water was supposed to indicate, that its floor slightly sloped towards the open wall. Thus, any "guest" in this cell always - especially when trying to nod off to sleep - is always in this eerie feeling that falling down the endless depths is only one wrong move away. This is supposed to slowly drive the prisoner more and more crazy, until he just can't resist "the call" of the depth any more and just makes an end to it by stepping out through the open wall. (All this is explained thoroughly in the book, I haven't figured that out by watching the episode, but you can find these nice little details everywhere...)

When Lord Robert says he wants to see Tyrion fly, though, he wants a more "immediate" response, i. e. just flinging the delinquent off the walls and watch him going down.

Eglaerinion

[7]May 23, 2011
    • level: 6

The cells in the TV show are a bit bigger than they were described in the book. If I remember it correctly they were only like 5 feet to the edge.

Edited on 05/23/2011 12:10am

ChipsTheButler

[8]Jun 1, 2011
    • level: 9
    boom-moo wrote:
    SuziHB wrote:

I thought he meant throwing him off the cliff but now that I think about it, you don't need to lock anyone in the fancy view dungeon for that *wonders*

Nah, there's a special door that leads direct to the big drop, they throw people through it as a form of execution.

boom-moo

[9]Jun 3, 2011
    • level: 75
    Yup, was shown later, thanks