Game of Thrones Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

Season 2 vs Book 2, what was left out or added? Which was better?

Which did you prefer, the book or show?

FX

[1]Jun 4, 2012
    • level: 10

I didn't see anything posted on this. If there is then oops. But I would like to know what the differences where between the book and show during it's second season, or book two. However you wish to word it.

I finished the first one but I'm not big on doing back to back books during spring/summer months.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MoRestrepo

[2]Jun 4, 2012
    • level: 4

Basically, it was the Starks which were underdeveloped big time. There's an psychic interaction that occurs between them and their direwolves where in their sleep the Stark children (and Jon Snow) are able to take over their direwolves as if they were them, turning them into "wargs". Brandon Stark meets in book two with a couple of kids, the Reeds (aka the frogeaters) who together help him to channel his ability.

At the end of book 2, Quorin halfhand finds out that Jon Snow is a warg, when Jon relates him his "dream" of being his direwolf, Ghost, and seeing the might of The King Beyond the Wall. Quorin orders Stonesnake, a fellow brother of the Night Watch to..." Make for the Fist. Tell Mormont what Jon saw, and how. Tell him that the old powers are waking, that he faces giants and wargs and worse. Tell him that the trees have eyes again."

Edited on 06/05/2012 9:51am
    Edited 2 total times.

qtwanderer

[3]Jun 4, 2012
    • level: 27
    They also didn't show the visions (accurate ones) Daenarys sees in the House of the Undying and left out the Undying Ones.

Yaspaa

[4]Jun 4, 2012
    • level: 79
    Books and shows are different, they can't be the same, so complaining about it is pointless. It's an amazing set of books, and the show is also the best on TV. There just aren't enough episodes to show everything. I'm just grateful for the quality we have, no more until next April, bummer.

Nickylucas

[5]Jun 6, 2012
    • level: 23

Yaspaa wrote:
    Books and shows are different, they can't be the same, so complaining about it is pointless. It's an amazing set of books, and the show is also the best on TV. There just aren't enough episodes to show everything. I'm just grateful for the quality we have, no more until next April, bummer.

That's where you're wrong.

You see, nothing of the changes made had any purpose here at all. Giving Dany more to do was probably the most retarded thing they could have done to this book, because book 2 was MEANT to focus on the events in Westeros primarily. Same with Jon Snow. That little detour at the end with Ygritte? No point in that at all. It took away from other storylines.

They really messed up Arya. In the book, she was awesome. Fighting guards, killing people, Weasel Soup, awesomeness. In the show, she's getting everybody else to do her work for her.

Tyrion was just about the only story they got spot on. Theon's story was also perfect up until they took Reek out. Why? Seriously? Why!?!?

damo2000

[6]Jun 7, 2012
    • level: 3
    Nickylucas wrote:

Yaspaa wrote:

That's where you're wrong.

You see, nothing of the changes made had any purpose here at all. Giving Dany more to do was probably the most retarded thing they could have done to this book, because book 2 was MEANT to focus on the events in Westeros primarily. Same with Jon Snow. That little detour at the end with Ygritte? No point in that at all. It took away from other storylines.

They really messed up Arya. In the book, she was awesome. Fighting guards, killing people, Weasel Soup, awesomeness. In the show, she's getting everybody else to do her work for her.

Tyrion was just about the only story they got spot on. Theon's story was also perfect up until they took Reek out. Why? Seriously? Why!?!?

I agree. They should of had 3 episodes with Dany, 1 in the red wasted, 5 in Qarth, 10 in HOTU. No dragon stealing or wierd stuff(not sure if I'm allowed to swear here.

Jons they should have just stuck with the book. Instead of whatever they did. They made Quorin an idiot and Jon an idiot and a murderer. There was no need for this. The budget would of been identical. Instead we get pointless scenes and kill the original character.

And Arya had a lovely time in Harrenhal as opposed to the hell it was in the books. Her chats with Tywin were definitely awesome but in the context they made no sense. Theons. Well can't complain here. Although we missed the awesomeness of Reek. This storyline was my second favorite it was just done right. They could of held off hiring any number of charaters for him. (Dagmer who pretty much does what Reek did, just needed to be younger, not the same age as his father Roose)

Bran and Rickon. Ties in with Theon but that was great also.

Jaime and Briene. Love it.

Tyrion, Sansa, Cersei, Joffrey, Bronn, Varys. All done brilliantly.

Littlefinger. Well he's lost all he's subtlety and discretion he had in the books. Threatening the QUEEN. Trying to get Cat to fall in love with him while he's delivering her husbands bones. Robb and Talissa. Don't even get me started so cheesy and they got married by a septon. He is the king of the north. He's men are northeners. Why would he get married by the gods of the south.

The Hound. Well he went from being a glorified extra to a badass.

Ok I'm done.

CrazyTan

[7]Jun 7, 2012
    • level: 4
    I adored season one, exactly because it developed the same time-line there is in the book. No strange detours or story adaptations for the sake of the screen format. It was a dream come true to see GRR Martin works coming to screen.

With the huge success Season 1 got, it exposed the show to larger audiences which, in return focuses the production into a more risk management mode and by risk management I mean handling the supposed viewers expectations. Say, if a viewer don't get the weekly fix of favourite character(s) appearance, they'll just start to whine and change channel. Hence the remake in the writing, stuffing characters in episodes they do not belong to appear, changing their stories, compressing stories from book 3 (even 4) into Season 2. While I loved the books, I'm not a fanatic, I can accept screen adaptation as long as they don't wear out the characters. The major complaint I have with Season 2 is that it didn't give enough space to the characters to be developed properly. With 1 or 2 expectations all the new faces in this Season 2 are just short boring and as you damo2000 were saying, even great characters we loved from Season 1 are being washed out (Arya, Littlefinger).

For Season 3 I think I'm gona wait until it ends and make a hole in my couch for an weekend to watch all the episodes. Basically visually overcharging the brain and giving it less time to be exposed to over analysis of the plot . It's just a tv show after all

damo2000

[8]Jun 7, 2012
    • level: 3
    Yeah I had to watch Valar Morghulis twice. The first time I just expected too much just waiting for things to happen. Just waiting to see Reek or just have Luwin say what happens. Same with the HOTU.

On second watch without my book expectations it was much more enjoyable. But thats who I am though when reading the books, after 4 I had a look on the wiki and just glanced at a characters name who was thought dead. So the whole of ADWD I was holding out to see where he'd turn up.

ionee24

[9]Jun 7, 2012
    • level: 32

damo2000 wrote:
    And Arya had a lovely time in Harrenhal as opposed to the hell it was in the books. Her chats with Tywin were definitely awesome but in the context they made no sense.

Jaqen H'ghar took a life of his own in the show, he was ten times better than in the books. I did miss Elmar Frey grieving his idealized version of Arya, but I think Tywin Lannister more than make up for it.

And they couldn't have found a better actor for Gendry. I could watch a whole spin off of Harrenhal.

Edited on 06/07/2012 4:28pm

ekiMognoL

[10]Jul 13, 2012
    • level: 1
    I preferred Book 2, it was really good compared to the show.

They could have added much more detail to the show to make it much more fascinating

ionee24

[11]Jul 16, 2012
    Problem is they can't fit that many things in 10 hours season: the Reeds for example, could've dragged the fall of Winterfell, just like Elmar Frey the plot of Harrenhal or Catlyn's father her negotiation with Renly.

This way, the story remains the same yet the pace fits the demands of a TV show.

abdulay31

[12]Jan 14, 2013
    • level: 5
    Though am halfway through the second book, i think the books are better with the luxury of time and space to narrate must of the story unlike in the show and you understand why a character acts th way he does in the books because of the detail.

ionee24

[13]Mar 29, 2013
    I think they are both great in their own right.

I'm in book 5 and ready for season 3 and I can't wait to finish either one!