Game of Thrones Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

Season 3+

Nickylucas

[1]Aug 15, 2011
    • level: 23

So how are they going to adopt Book 3? I don't think 10 Episodes will be enough to make it properly. I know they touched on this at Comic Con but I didn't understand what they meant. Are they going to change the events of the book more like a movie would do, or are they going to put it into 2 seasons?

Personally I think Season 3 and 4 should be based on Book 3, with HBO ordering them both early in Season 2 to ensure that the writers can map it all out and decide where Book 3 will be split.

As for Books4 and 5, since they are both technically one book split in 2 parts, they should be put back together and treated as one huge book. Maybe give that book 2 seasons with 12 episodes in each.

So I see it going like this...

Game of Thrones - Season 1 (2010) 10 Episodes Total

Clash of Kings - Season 2 (2011) 10 Episodes Total

Storm of Swords - Seasons 3 & 4 (2012, 2013) 20 Episodes Total

Feast for Dragons - Seasons 5 & 6 (2014, 2015) 24 Episodes Total

How do you guys see this working? I think it's best if they stay true to the books, no matter how many seasons it takes.

Note: I have only read Game of Thrones, so no spoilers for Books 2-5 please.

Edited on 08/15/2011 8:52pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Meauxx

[2]Aug 20, 2011
    • level: 7

Personally I think only the first season has 10 episodes to see whether the series will be popular enough. Just like they did with Lie to me where the first season had 13 episodes and the following seasons 22. So I think the second season will have about 20 episodes. The episodes will be more detailed than in season 2. Personally, I did find season 1 too fast paced

Edited on 08/20/2011 5:39am

Nickylucas

[3]Aug 20, 2011

Meauxx wrote:

Personally I think only the first season has 10 episodes to see whether the series will be popular enough. Just like they did with Lie to me where the first season had 13 episodes and the following seasons 22. So I think the second season will have about 20 episodes. The episodes will be more detailed than in season 2. Personally, I did find season 1 too fast paced

No, Season 2 has already been announced to have 10 episodes.

RitariKnight

[4]Aug 22, 2011
    • level: 27

What Benioff & Weiss said at Comic-Con and have hinted at in some interviews is that Book 3 would be cut in two, but not at the half-way point. Instead, they would make Season 3 encompass about 2/3 of the Book 3 and then Season 4 would have the rest of it and continue with some of the story-lines from Books 4 and 5.

So it might look something like this:

Season 1 (10 eps) - A Game of Thrones + A Clash of Kings (1st Chapter) ALREADY DONE

Season 2 (10 eps) - A Clash of Kings (the rest) + A Storm of Swords (first part of Jaime's story-line) CONFIRMED

Season 3 (10 eps) - A Storm of Swords (first 2/3 ending with RW* and excluding first part of Jaime's story-line) STRONGLY HINTED AT

Season 4 (10 eps) - A Storm of Swords (final 1/3) + A Feast for Crows (first 1/3) + A Dance With Dragons (first 1/3)

Season 5 (10 eps) - A Feast for Crows (final 2/3) + A Dance with Dragons (middle 1/3)

Season 6 (10 eps) - A Dance with Dragons (final 1/3) + The Winds of Winter (first 2/3 or first half)

Season 7 (10 eps) - The Winds of Winter (last 1/3 or last half) + A Dream of Spring (first 1/3)

Season 8 (10 eps) - A Dream of Spring (the rest)

It's impossible to say how long the last two books are going to be, so those are just rough guesses from Season 6 onwards.

HBO has said that they can't do more than 10 episodes a season at the moment if they want to hold on to airing one season per year, which they've said they do. So unless something significant changes production-wise, there will not be longer seasons. The main reason behind this is that the show creators (Benioff & Weiss) want to be very hands-on in the production, and if they did more episodes per season, they couldn't be as much involved in the day-to-day production as they want. The only option would be to lower the quality of the production in order to get more quantity, but nobody wants that. The easiest solution is to forget the one-book-one-season approach and concentrate on delivering a good story for each season. That way the quality will remain and the story should not be condensed too much. Personally I feel that the first season could have had two more episodes to make it more deeper in character development and plot advancement, but even at ten episodes, it was still the best season of television ever made. The same is probably true for Season 2; it would certainly be better with 12 episodes, but if they move some parts of it forward then 10 should be fine. HBO has also said that the show will not be canceled lightly; as long as the creators are willing to continue, HBO is willing to keep it on (barring any disasters like HBO going under or losing most of its subscribers and so on).

*If you don't know what RW stands for, then do NOT look it up. You'll spoil yourself of a serious plot twist. Trust me, you don't want to do that. The ending of Season 3 will be shocking, truly shocking. Baelor's ending will seem like a pleasant dream compared to that.

qtwanderer

[5]Oct 7, 2011
    I would like it if it did have 20 eps a season but alas I would settle for 12. That would give some room to spread the books out in the series.

lostcause78

[6]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 9
    I just know I will hate Season 3s ending if it goes as you write there. I hate cliffhangers with a passion. (I know what RW is, but I'll still hate it)

I do think they'll do as PJ did with LOTR. And mix up a few storylines back and forth from the books. Simply due to screen time, something that takes a few pages in a book can take hours on screen, and vice versa. Puh, honestly, I just hope they get to finish it. It is a very long project they got going.

Nickylucas

[7]Dec 1, 2011

Storm of Swords = Season 3 and 4.

HBO is going to order them both in advance to renew the show through 2014.

BearLuvsPanda

[8]Dec 15, 2011
    • level: 3

The difficulty with filming such a detailed story is there will always be compromises that will annoy those of us who have read most or all the novels thus far. With lots of plot-lines, no well defined story arc (GRRM still doesn't know where the novels will end), dozens of rich characters, a wide range of locations, and a limited budget is it any surprise we won't get a chapter by chapter adaptation.

What I would say is that as the producers understand the books are a time-line of all the events taking place, and they stick to the order of play, then most of us will be happy with the results. GRRM is closely associated with the series and so I am sure he will advise the makers of where they can make acceptable changes and where they are making a mistake.

The need for producers to end each episode on a cliffhanger, or a high, is inevitable with this sort of series and to make sure there is a suitable season finale is unavoidable. It will be difficult & pointless to produce any filler episodes so 10 or 12 per season will be the norm though I for one would love to see each book to last 2 seasons a piece now that Season 1 is completed. Alternatively, the next 4 books could be spread over 6 Seasons, with between 70-90 episodes total, though when one says that out loud it seems a huge amount.

BearLuvsPanda

[9]Dec 15, 2011
    • level: 3
    Like me you've put a lot of thought into an acceptable approach. I like your season outlines and comments. If only we lived in a perfect world.

nico2256

[10]Jan 23, 2012
    • level: 2
    I see HBO likes sticking with 10 episodes but 12 will definately be nice.

Nakama

[11]Apr 10, 2012

HBO renewed GoT for season 3! A bit worried though, they did renew for season 3 & 4 like many people assumed...

Nickylucas

[12]Apr 11, 2012

They didn't renew 3 and 4 actually, only 3. But I am confident 4 will come not too far after that, and it's already been confirmed that season 3 will only cover the first half of ASOS. So it's a win situation.

ButterMeUp44

[13]Apr 22, 2012

Is anyone else concerned about the timing of all this? The kid actors will be a lot older if this plays out over 8 or 9 years on TV. I've just started reading the books, but how is the time line in relation to the children aging?

Nickylucas

[14]Apr 22, 2012

I'm not worried. Each book is roughly a year in the ASOIAF timeline, so if it's one season per year, the kids can age and it won't affect the story.

NoMercy_3_basic

[15]Apr 22, 2012
    • level: 7

From GRRM site (http://grrm.livejournal.com/):

Yes, it's official.

HBO has ordered a third season of GAME OF THRONES.

Like the first two seasons, it will be ten episodes long. This one will cover (roughly) the first half or thereabouts of A STORM OF SWORDS, the third novel in the series.

I'll be writing the seventh episode, with the working title "Autumn Storms."

Full details can be found at a dozen other places on the web, so I won't rehash 'em here. Just wanted to pass along the news to my faithful readers.

ionee24

[16]Apr 24, 2012
    • level: 32
    Nakama wrote:

HBO renewed GoT for season 3! A bit worried though, they did renew for season 3 & 4 like many people assumed...

I think the first three books are a complete chapter in itself, if it doesn't get a 4th season we still have closure anyway.

RitariKnight

[17]Apr 24, 2012

ionee24 wrote:
    Nakama wrote:

I think the first three books are a complete chapter in itself, if it doesn't get a 4th season we still have closure anyway.

Season 3 will not encompass the third novel in its entirety, so ending the show after that season would leave the story hanging. But we will get more seasons beyond season 3, there's no worry on that account.

ionee24

[18]Apr 24, 2012
    • level: 32
    RitariKnight wrote:

ionee24 wrote:

Season 3 will not encompass the third novel in its entirety, so ending the show after that season would leave the story hanging.

I don't see how that would leave the story hanging, all they need to do is to continue with the characters we already know and avoid the introduction of any game changer (there are many on book 3).

If they show is renewed, then all they need is to continue the third novel with the bits they left out on season 3.

Nakama

[20]Apr 28, 2012

Nickylucas wrote:

They didn't renew 3 and 4 actually, only 3. But I am confident 4 will come not too far after that, and it's already been confirmed that season 3 will only cover the first half of ASOS. So it's a win situation.

Sorry typo on my part! I meant DID NOT renew season 3 & 4 like everyone expected...

Edited on 04/28/2012 12:19pm