Game of Thrones Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOIn Season

Season 3 vs Book 3, what was left out or added? Which was better?

ionee24

[1]Apr 24, 2013
    • level: 32

Since the season 2 threads become obsolte. I thought this might be a good place to speak of the differences without spoiling to anybody.

A few differences that come to mind:

- Enter Locke instead of Vargo Hoat

- Ghost leaves with Sam instead to tag along with Jon

- Missandrei, the slave girl, is not a 10 year old.

Edited on 04/24/2013 8:17am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Fozz33

[2]Apr 24, 2013
    • level: 10
    All the Theon stuff...none of that in SoS.

qtwanderer

[3]Apr 24, 2013
    • level: 27
    Selmy's great reveal- happened alot sooner but thats ok with me as long as he talks more about the Mad King and stuff.

ionee24

[4]Apr 25, 2013
    Fozz33 wrote:
    All the Theon stuff...none of that in SoS.

But it happened almost by heart as it was described on A Dance With Dragons, two books after the events of A Storm of Swords.

qtwanderer

[5]Apr 25, 2013
    I think they were just focusing on the third book because of the thread title. I can't remember too well, but did Varys really conspire with the queen of thorns about Sansa marrying Loras? I thought it was just the Tyrells but I might be mistaken.

Melissandrei -Spelling?- leaving Dragonstone. It has yet to be shown if the show would have Edric Storm but some suspect they may merge the character with Gendry to give him a type of plot.

And I'm not sure if Thoros is a priest in the show or more the warrior. I don't think they mentioned him being a priest, and I expected him to look abit heavier.

ionee24

[6]Apr 28, 2013
    qtwanderer wrote:
    Melissandrei -Spelling?.

Melisandre, Missandei is the slave girl with Dany.

Although Melisandre was a slave girl herself, difference is she was sold to the Lord of Light order rather than the Astapor slave masters from the Unsullied.

jimman1

[7]Apr 29, 2013
    • level: 4
    No Strong Belwas so far, which is sad.

gazcoops

[8]May 2, 2013
    • level: 7
    jimman1 wrote:
    No Strong Belwas so far, which is sad.

I think they confirmed that he won't be in the show, which is a shame

WiktorGustafs

[9]May 6, 2013
    • level: 1
    Speaking of Sansa marrying a Tyrell, one change is that in the books she is supposed to marry, not Loras, but Willas Tyrell, his older brother and heir to Highgarden. Willas isn't even in the show though, the reason for that is I guess the same as why they left out Dontos, Strong Belwas, Jhiqui, Doreah, Edric Storm and the entire Brave Companions... too many characters.

MoRestrepo

[10]May 6, 2013

Actually, Dontos appeared in season 2, and it would still be possible for him to reappear at its due moment. But I fear that they are also throwing away that part of the story, leaving Littlefinger alone plotting Sansa's fate.

Something that really bothers me is the way in which the story of Ramsay Bolton (and Reek!) has been twisted so far. Whatever is happening to Theon Greyjoy so far in season 3 makes little sense.

HouseDawson

[11]May 6, 2013

Was reading this review earlier and agreed with some of the things he said

http://thenerdybomb.com/game-of-thrones-the-climb/

Melissandre showing up at the Brotherhood Without Banners was a good choice and her dialogue with Arya signified her darker side. In the preview for next week's episode she says that she worshps the god of death!

I really don't like what they have done with Jon Snow this season, he seems completely clueless.

qtwanderer

[12]May 6, 2013
    Read your link and I agree. Jon Snow so far hasen't shown the same traits as his book counterpart, that made me like him.
    MoRestrepo wrote:
    Something that really bothers me is the way in which the story of Ramsay Bolton (and Reek!) has been twisted so far. Whatever is happening to Theon Greyjoy so far in season 3 makes little sense
    I think thats intentional, to not only make sure viewers remember his character, instead of us seeing him 2 seasons from now and forgetting who he was and to also have us feel a connection with Theon on his confusion of what happening so that viewers might feel the same way some readers did when we realize what Theon went through (a little bit of sorry for him). They seem to be using some info from the most recent book that Theon talked about in his POV. I knew they were going to leave out Edric and replace him with Gendry, to give Gendry more "story".

WiktorGustafs

[13]May 7, 2013

MoRestrepo wrote:

Actually, Dontos appeared in season 2, and it would still be possible for him to reappear at its due moment. But I fear that they are also throwing away that part of the story, leaving Littlefinger alone plotting Sansa's fate.

Something that really bothers me is the way in which the story of Ramsay Bolton (and Reek!) has been twisted so far. Whatever is happening to Theon Greyjoy so far in season 3 makes little sense.

I think it's highly likely we will not se any more of Dontos, unfortunately... And regarding Theon, I was surprised that we even got to see him this season as he's not even in the third book, but we get to know what happened to him afterwards. I guess it doesn't work on TV to just drop a pretty big character for one or two seasons, to suddenly have him return.

Edited on 05/07/2013 12:07am

WiktorGustafs

[14]May 7, 2013
    qtwanderer wrote:
    Read your link and I agree. Jon Snow so far hasen't shown the same traits as his book counterpart, that made me like him.
    MoRestrepo wrote:
    Something that really bothers me is the way in which the story of Ramsay Bolton (and Reek!) has been twisted so far. Whatever is happening to Theon Greyjoy so far in season 3 makes little sense
    I think thats intentional, to not only make sure viewers remember his character, instead of us seeing him 2 seasons from now and forgetting who he was and to also have us feel a connection with Theon on his confusion of what happening so that viewers might feel the same way some readers did when we realize what Theon went through (a little bit of sorry for him). They seem to be using some info from the most recent book that Theon talked about in his POV. I knew they were going to leave out Edric and replace him with Gendry, to give Gendry more "story".

Yeah, exactly my thoughts. Theon/Reek doesn't get much "screen time" at all in the books - he's barely even mentioned in SoS. But I guess it all has do to with people not getting confused over what the hell happened to him, which I for sure wondered about while reading the third book.

MoRestrepo

[15]May 9, 2013
    My real concern about Theon is how he got in the situation he appears at the moment. That remains a mistery to the TV viewers. The last time we saw him in season 2 he was knocked out by his own men. Since Ramsay Snow's story was completely left out of the script in Season 2, and he is so far the anonymous kidnapper of Theon, I still wonder how the TV story writers will let the viewers know how Theon got in his hands, the past story of "Reek", and finally, his connection with Roose Bolton.

qtwanderer

[16]May 10, 2013
    MoRestrepo wrote:
    My real concern about Theon is how he got in the situation he appears at the moment. That remains a mistery to the TV viewers. The last time we saw him in season 2 he was knocked out by his own men.
    Yeah, I don'y know how they intend to enlighten everyone because alot of people I know that watch the show are confused on how Theon ended up where he did. I'm guessing they won't dwell on this or any of the other things till the "red wedding" and next season.

ionee24

[17]May 11, 2013
    I thought it was clear his own men sold him to get back to the Iron Islands, as Robb promised.

What isn't clear is whom has him captured

qtwanderer

[18]May 11, 2013
    Mustv'e missed hearing that in one of the episodes. I was under the impression Robb doesn't know where he is because he has yet to even mention Theon's name as a prisoner.

ionee24

[19]May 12, 2013

Check out Prince of Winterfell on the season 2 DVDs: the order is issued to Bolton before Robb's first time with Talisa and Arya ultimate escape from Harrenhal.

Then his own men hit Theon after an "heroic speech" and proceed to stab Maester Lewin to death before they burn Winterfell.

The first thing we see in season 3 is Theon, with the same hood his men put over his head, trapped in another Castle in the custody of northern men.

Edited on 05/12/2013 6:43am

qtwanderer

[20]May 12, 2013
    ionee24 wrote:
    Check out Prince of Winterfell on the season 2 DVDs: the order is issued to Bolton before Robb's first time with Talisa and Arya ultimate escape from Harrenhal.
    Ok, I see this.
    ionee24 wrote:
    Then his own men hit Theon after an "heroic speech" and proceed to stab Maester Lewin to death before they burn Winterfell.
    And I saw this
    ionee24 wrote:
    The first thing we see in season 3 is Theon, with the same hood his men put over his head, trapped in another Castle in the custody of northern men.
    This is where I think it looses some tv viewers, with a year gap between last season, no one really remembers Robb's order to Bolton, the hood being the same hood his men put on him and the offer from Robb to his men. Thanks, now I know what to tell others that may ask me.