Game of Thrones Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

Season 3 vs Book 3, what was left out or added? Which was better?

qtwanderer

[21]May 12, 2013
    • level: 27
    On a related note of what else was left out- The Ghost of High Heart but since prophecies aren't what the show usually shows I can see why this was left out. We really didn't need it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ionee24

[22]May 13, 2013
    • level: 32
    Robb is a father!

Gendry knows Robert was his father!

Osha was running away from her zombie -lover!

Best changes from the books EVER.

ionee24

[23]May 13, 2013

I almost forgot the biggest change at the bear pit scene:

On the books, Jaime jumps the moment he hears Vargo say that if he wants her, he should go and get her. And its only then, when Jaime finds himself in the pit, that he realizes he doesn't know what to do other than to shield Brienne with his own body.

On the show, Jaime falls the moment he sees her on the ground and he just.can't.take it., he still can't do anything but shield her with his own body. But, somehow, the show made it felt like he knew what he was doing and he did it anyway (on the books he just wasn't thinking, she was more important than that).

I think it gives them the benefit of the doubt the book didn't give Jaime, which allows more room to develop the relationship.

Edited on 05/13/2013 1:30pm

ionee24

[24]May 15, 2013
    And the dream!

How could I forget the dream? Jaime didn't dream of Brienne before he came back for her on TV, it was a conscious choice made by a conscious impulse on his part. And I think that part made it better than the respective book chapter.

luvthistle1

[25]May 19, 2013
    • level: 6

Edric Storm was left out of the tv series. In the book Edric Storm is King Robert Bastard son withDelena Florent(nobly born), ( Delena is related to Stannis 's wife) so he is well known and publicly known. He's also Stannis's daughter friend/playmate. On the show it seem like they are replacing Edric with Gendry. In the book Gendry never ever meetMelisandre,or Stannis. Talisa Stark, ( Rob's wife) .

There is no character name Talisa in the book. However in the book Rob marry a girl name 'Jeyne Westerling' ( who's father is a Lannister bannerman) , after her giving him her maidenhood ( first night of meeting her) and fearing she might become pregnant.

In the book there is no character name Roz. In the book it's hinted at Joffrey doing a lot of things( torture animals.) but he doesn't kill a women.

Edited on 05/19/2013 1:13am

MoRestrepo

[26]May 20, 2013
    • level: 4

I guess the writers missed the better chance they had to bring back Ser Dontos again when they failed to use him as a stool to help the Imp put the cloak on Sansa during the wedding, so I guess Ser Dontos won't be seen at all again. With only two episodes remaining, I wonder if the writers will be pushing three events taking place in different places, at the same in the tv series..

Edited on 05/20/2013 10:52pm

qtwanderer

[27]May 21, 2013
    • level: 27
    Three places same time?

ionee24

[28]May 21, 2013

Okay, Second Sons differences:

- Davos was learning how to read with a maester in the same room Shireen and her cousin (not Genrdy) were studying. Not alone in a cell.

- Edric Storm was leeched out off camera and we didn't know how Melisandre did the trick.

- Stannis never met Gendry, nor recognized Edric as nephew on sight (he relied on Robert's bad reputation).

- Davos was the voice of reason whenever Stannis wanted to sacrifice a child.

- The Hound didn't make Arya smile or carry her in his horse like that (but it was lovely).

- Sam killed his first White Walker in the Fist if the First Men. Dragon glass is still the only thing they know might kill them (there's another one, but it hasn't been mentioned on the show yet).

Edited on 05/21/2013 9:58am
    Edited 2 total times.

Nostromo21

[29]May 23, 2013
    • level: 2

Fire can kill White Walkers (from memory in the books & already shown in the series I believe).

As to the tv.com comment on this thread:

http://www.tv.com/news/whats-renewed-whats-canceled-and-whats-still-in-between-2013-edition-136682993611/

"And with books six and seven yet to come, we expect this to last a lot longer."

GoT series season 3 is only the 1st half of A Storm of Swords (book 3). So, strictly speaking, 2nd half will be S4, which means we will see at least another 4 tv seasons after that - yay!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_song_of_ice_and_fire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones#Production

YMW! .

ionee24

[32]May 23, 2013

Nostromo21 wrote:
    Fire can kill White Walkers (from memory in the books & already shown in the series I believe).

Fire can only kill the zombies the White Walkers use as army. The last dead brothers who attacked Mormont in season 1 were a couple of those.

The dragon glass Sam used in the latest episode is the only thing that can kill White Walkers on the show.

In the books, its dragon glass + valyrian swords (like the one Mormont gave Jon Snow for saving his life).

Nostromo21

[33]May 26, 2013
    • level: 2
    Fair nuff. Got my zombies and white walkers mixed up!

Wonder why they didn't include valyrian steel in the show, hmmm...

ionee24

[34]Jun 5, 2013

Ok. three days later I can point out some differences:

- Talisa's mother wasn't a spy on the show (like Jayne's mother was on the books), if only because then Talisa would still be alive.

- Robb's wife dies on the show, but his wife doesn't even attend the wedding on the books.

- Edmure's uncle was safe back home on the books, he saves his life by an unexpected run to the bathroom on the show.

Edited on 06/05/2013 11:15am
    Edited 2 total times.

ionee24

[35]Jun 11, 2013
    Season finale difference:

Coldhands was with Sam when he found Bran.

That's all I could think of right now.

MoRestrepo

[36]Jun 11, 2013
    • level: 4

Didn't Jaime Lanister arrive in King's Landing too early to meet his beloved sister?

ionee24

[37]Jun 11, 2013

MoRestrepo wrote:

Didn't Jaime Lanister arrive in King's Landing too early to meet his beloved sister?

At least two weddings too early.

Jaime arrived King's Landing after Joffrey's wedding, and found out about Edmure's on the road, on the book. But he came back the morning after Edmure's wedding on the show.

Edited on 06/11/2013 10:08pm

kagis

[38]Jun 12, 2013
    • level: 1
    ionee24 wrote:

In the books, its dragon glass + valyrian swords (like the one Mormont gave Jon Snow for saving his life).

Is it really confirmed that Valyrian steel works on the White Walkers. Don't quite remember but isn't it only implied that that's the case, perhaps from one of the old books in the library of Castle Black?

ionee24

[39]Jun 13, 2013

It was confirmed the swords do the trick.

What was implied is that there's no way in the 7 hells that any Lord who owns one would just give it away to the Night's Watch (so they are not counting on them).

Edited on 06/13/2013 6:34am