Game of Thrones Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

The "I Hate Joffrey" Thread

izzyshepp101

[1]Jun 27, 2011
    • level: 7

That kid is pure evil and someone needs to kill him and get him off his high horse.

[Mod edited the title to correct the typos.]

Edited on 06/28/2011 12:37am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

c00lizz

[2]Jun 27, 2011
    • level: 3
    Meh, you know that old argument, environment vs. genetics. Poor Joff got screwed on both accounts, he may be an evil bastard but he never really had much of chance to turn out normal anyways.

vioray

[3]Jun 28, 2011
    true, but he's still an utter wanker. best scene of the show so far was him getting his arse handed to him by a little girl

CjTl2005

[4]Jun 28, 2011
    • level: 11

Man, f* Joffrey! In the word of Charles Barkley. . . "That's turrble!" Without his rash decision making, there wouldn't be nearly the kind of interest there is now. You kind of have to live with him because he drives the story, little wanker that he is.

Shane747

[5]Jun 29, 2011
    • level: 6

Well he is Cersei and Jaime's son... The people who threw a 10 year old kid out a window. Not surprising he turned out to be a total douche. That said, I think that Joffrey is probably the only 'evil' character in the whole season, everyone else has some good and bad qualities, but Joffreys just pure sadistic.

amaryllis88

[6]Jun 30, 2011
    • level: 20
    As much as I hate Joffrey, I can't wait til that kid gets his karma....I'm not really expecting much, and he's also giving fuel to both Sansa and Arya to avenge their father, or maybe become better, stronger people...here's hoping at least!

CjTl2005

[7]Jun 30, 2011
    Shane747 wrote:

Well he is Cersei and Jaime's son... The people who threw a 10 year old kid out a window. Not surprising he turned out to be a total douche. That said, I think that Joffrey is probably the only 'evil' character in the whole season, everyone else has some good and bad qualities, but Joffreys just pure sadistic.

Agreed!! He has that shooting kittens with a BB gun quality about him.

vioray

[8]Jul 1, 2011

Shane747 wrote:

I think that Joffrey is probably the only 'evil' character in the whole season, everyone else has some good and bad qualities

I dunno, apart from the witty imp the entire Lannister family seem pretty much irredeemable, the difference is that 'king' Joff happens to be stupid as well as evil

Edited on 07/01/2011 2:57pm

Shane747

[9]Jul 1, 2011
    • level: 6
    vioray wrote:

Shane747 wrote:

I think that Joffrey is probably the only 'evil' character in the whole season, everyone else has some good and bad qualities

I dunno, apart from the witty imp the entire Lannister family seem pretty much irredeemable, the difference is that 'king' Joff happens to be stupid as well as evil

Not really, Lannisters are just ruthless, not evil. But then, their ruthlessness is pretty much why they are winning now.

c00lizz

[10]Jul 2, 2011
    Shane747 wrote:
    vioray wrote:

Shane747 wrote:

Not really, Lannisters are just ruthless, not evil. But then, their ruthlessness is pretty much why they are winning now.

They're actually not winning, in fact the end of S1 pretty much has them backed into a corner completely surrounded by enemies. The factions that hasn't openly opposed them are also the ones that probably won't side with them either, Iron Islands, The Vale and Dorne. Everyone else is against them and they just lost a good portion of their forces and the remainder is cut off and retreating to Harrenhal.

Jimmyboyt

[11]Jul 2, 2011
    • level: 8

I've been thinking about this whole Joffrey thing, and I'm glad you've brought it up.

Has he been rash and ruthless in his decision making, yes.

Do I feel hatred, rage, pure unadulterated killing intent towards him, yes.

Do I think he's kind of a psycho so far because of the season finale, yes.

But through all this, something very odd came to mind, now I have not read the books, I will but I have not yet done it. What if Joffrey got some redemption, what if he turns around and suddenly becomes the good guy in the readers' eyes.

Now I'm not saying this is a scenario I would like to see happen, nor do I firmly believe in it, it merely came to me, a fleeting thought if you will.

I suppose my point is, or rather my question goes something like, Would you see this happening?

Do you think this to be something that G.R.R.M. would do?

merely a thought.

CjTl2005

[12]Jul 3, 2011
    We've already seen a quick turnaround with the Khal/Dany marriage. At first we thought it was going to be a miserable existence for Dany but it turned out the ruthless warrior Khal had a soft side and really came to hold his wife in very high regard.

wenel

[13]Jul 3, 2011
    • level: 2
    Couldn't agree more. Him & is mother since she is the same way and brought Joffrey up that way. I just can't say much for the other kids since we haven't seem much of them. But get them off the throne since it isn't their birth right.

vioray

[14]Jul 4, 2011

after reading the first couple of books it seems his younger brother (who has slightly more presence in the books) is very unlike Joff and his sister probably isn't too much like him, so some of it is certainly to do with parenting but likely also to do with being a spoilt brat-heir as well. as for him possibly being redeemed, I doubt it. Drogo turned out to not be so bad but all our negative feelings of him were based purely on assumptions, whereas we've seen Joff and come to know just how much of an ass he truly is. personally I doubt Tywin, Joff, Cersi or Jaime could become likeable, and probably not the kiss-ass cousin whose name I forget

surprisingly there's an even worse character (in my opinion) in the second book whose name I shan't spoil but those who have read it can likely guess who he is

Edited on 07/04/2011 4:31am

sibowittz

[16]Jul 9, 2011
    • level: 17
    He is horrible no doubt, but coming from his parents, and his actual father (Jamie), its hard not to see why he is the way he is. It's a wonderful psychological study thing for me. I love that aspect, but yeah...out of all of the characters....he is the one that I want to be done with the most, but at the same time, he's a character I love to hate (A LOT!)

jenny_d_b

[17]Sep 15, 2011
    • level: 8
    Vioray: He was the first son, naturally he was raised a warrior, cynical, the way the Lannisters see a king. A line Viserys said in the show, that wasn't in the books, was "How can you rule without wealth or fear or love"? He saw wealth and fear as the best options, look where that got him. It's the same with the Lannisters. Cersei despises "us fools who love", to use a HP expression. It's not that she doesn't love herself, it's just that evidently she doesn't think a king should. And she raised Joffrey a king in her eyes.

It is mentioned, in the book at least, that Tommen is much "softer" and for instance cries when people he knows moves away, he is seen as much easier to manipulate than Joffrey, who prefers to make his own, completely irrational decisions. He was raised differently than Joffrey, in his brother's shadow. The two of them also have different individual personalities. And Myrcella is a girl, not in very high regard in the medieval age the show is set in, so she was raised to be nice and look pretty.

rJhanne

[18]Sep 21, 2011
    • level: 2

the imp is totaly not evil all he is, hes a lanester un luck 2 be born in an evil famaly. you see this beter in the nesxt sesons maby

Joddrey on the other hand... he is evil, or in common tonge: crasy person with the power 2 kill

Yaspaa

[19]Sep 30, 2011
    • level: 79
    He is a little shi-t and he looks like one, perfectly cast.

myrddinde

[20]Apr 25, 2012

Joffrey I hated from episode 2 on and more with each chapter. Joffreys poor actor, going to be a while before he can get the stink off, especially since it seems kind of authentic