Game of Thrones

Kill the Boy

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 10, 2015 on HBO

• Kill the Boy

This Ramsey nonsense has gone on for far too long. Edgy episode at times, but just nothing too earth shattering took place tonight.
  • from episode 5 to 8

Can some help me to download it
  • Kill the Boy (Spoilers Ahead)

Game of Thrones had a more middling installment this week getting in touch with a few less than favorite characters and stalling in many areas that were previously much more interesting.

In the North

"The North Remembers" seems to be a monicur both used and abused by many who are either Stark loyalists or Bolton sympathizers. Sansa settling into the alien surroundings of her formerly warm home, now occupied by the very people who mercilessly killed her brother and mother, was well portrayed by actress Sophie Turner. Brienne also seem able to tap into that Stark sympathy by explaining that she served Lady Catelyn before her death and a servant woman tells Sansa that she can set a light in the tower if she ever needs help. What this means for a Bolton coup attempt from Sansa, potentially to aid Stannis when he attacks Winterfell, remains to be seen. But seeing people are still on Sansa's side when she is very much on her own in a den of wolves (no other equivalent phrase came to mind and it seemed appropriate) demonstrates that the North is still very much on her family's side.

Another unsettling scene involves the tense dinner conversation with Walda, Roose's Frey wife, who is expecting a child to carry on the family name. Sansa being reunited with Reek was another ghost from the past, and obviously seeing him so changed must be disconcerting for Sansa. Although, as far as she knows he is the one who murdered Bran and Rickon and doesn't know that they are still alive. Seeing Roose and Ramsay later plot to keep the North from Stannis was something I don't think filled any viewer with a sense of empathy or sympathy for that matter. All we want to see is them flayed alive, by who it doesn't matter.

At the Wall

Jon learns more about responsibility of being a leader, as Maester Aemon tells him to "Kill the Boy" to make the hard decision of being a true leader. The hard decision involves becoming allied with the Wildlings, a decision that is unforgivable by many amidst the Night's Watch following the recent battle of Castle Black having seen their fellow brothers killed by the very people Jon wishes to forge an alliance with. The problem of uniting the tribes as Mance did, now that he's dead, is put to Tormund GIantsbane, who is unshackled by Jon and told that the Free Folk can have land South of the Wall in exchange for forging an alliance with the Night's Watch. Tormund takes this as a sign of trust, and tells him that many of the remaining Free Folk have gone to Hardhome, a settlement where he wants Jon to go with him and tell them of his plan to garner their trust. Jon actually seems to have a mind for the political, and I like that the writers are putting Jon at the center of Hardhome, rather than having it happen offscreen as it would in the books since he stayed to run Castle Black. He even manages to borrow Stannis' fleet for his mission, and with so many other members of the Night's Watch protesting against his plan, him deciding to go with it anyway shows the signs of a true leader. Jon is more than capable of seeing past the hatred many of the Crows seem to have of the thousands of years of hatred between them and the Free Folk for the larger and long-term picture of having living allies. I'm interested to see how the events at Hardhome resolve themselves this season and if Jon's plan will be enough to bring the Wildlings back to settle south of the Wall, and if Crows can bury the metaphorical hatchet as a means to an end of surviving the upcoming Winter.

Also, bidding adieu to Stannis and all of his pals setting out for Winterfell, along with Ser Davos, Melisandre, and his wife and daughter since he doesn't trust the former criminals in the ranks of the Night's Watch. I also very much enjoyed the original scene involving Sam and Stannis where we learn that Dragonstone has a large supply of Dragonglass that could fight the army of the dead when they come to the Wall. I hope this isn't the last we see of Stannis before the Battle of Winterfell, but it was nice to see him and Jon Snow learn and have a respect with and for one another.

Meereen

Standing over Ser Barristan's body, Dany mourns how one of her family's oldest friends and soldiers travelled over a continent to serve her and ended up murdered in an alley. Grey Worm, having been wearing armor, actually got out alive but is bedridden. Now Dany is down two advisors and she will have to make it on her own, or just listen to Daario which probably isn't for the best. The scene of taking the heads of the great families into the dragon dungeon and one getting roasted was a nice touch, although a bit of what her father did for his own amusement from the sounds of it. I liked seeing Grey Worm finally tell Missandei how he felt about her, which has been building up since the episode last season where he looked at her longingly while she was bathing at the river. This romance seems to be pure, although not meant to last. It is rare enough to see two characters of color get a full romance, particularly in such a white show. But Dany is learning a lot of what ruling takes out of a person much as Jon Snow is, having to make tough decisions where there aren't any good ones it seems. She ultimately decides to open the Fighting Pits to honor Meereen's history, and she decides to marry Hizdahr Zo Loraq to secure her ruling over Meereen through a political marriage. Not a romantic proposal at all, but one that demonstrates how far she has come from the Season 2 entitlement of "I am the mother of dragons, I will take what is mine with fire and blood" Daenerys of show's old.

Valyria

While taking a shortcut through Valyria, Tyrion and Jorah discovered a shared interest in the poetry of old and how greyscale caused this land to be abandoned some time ago. It's rare for someone to be as book read as Tyrion is, so him finding a kindred mind was of course offset by the Stone Men, the greyscaled people of Valyria, attacking their boat. While Jorah is free to fight them off with his sword, Tyrion isn't so lucky and has to jump overboard to avoid being touched by one of them and contracting Greyscale. The fade to black was very suspenseful, but just when it seems like they made it out all right (minus a ship, Jorah's sword, and their supplies of course) the episode ends with Jorah lifting up his sleeve to show that he has in fact contracted greyscale. How fast it spreads no one seems to know, but Stannis telling us more about how it affected Shireen gave us a glimpse of just how contagious and life threatening it can be. When and how Jorah discloses that to anybody else will be very interesting moving forward.

Not the best episode but rather one that showed that we are indeed halfway through the season, "Kill the Boy" furthered many of the intriguing plot developments that I have enjoyed most about this season but without a lot of momentum in other stories that I would rather have seen.
  • Worst episode of the season so far.

I suspect the high ratings come from the teeny girls in TeamJonSnow. Or TeamDany, since they made up most of the episode. Last weeks semi-cliffhanger was swiftly swept aside: ++ SPOILER ALERT ++ Barristan is dead, Grey worm is alive. They got that out of the way pretty quickly. Sansa has finally become interesting since about half-way through season 4, but she never did a whole lot in her segment. Instead it was more of Ramsay Bolton being so weird that it makes no sense whatsoever why his father puts up with him. Nobody's story really went anywhere in this episode. Pretty much everyone is in the exact same position they were in at the end of the last episode. And why, oh why do the people who thumbs down negative reviews have nothing to say in the episodes defense? Is is purely a reaction? If you're one of the HBO employees, or fans who feel a duty to vote 10 every week, why are you unable to back up your vote/opinion? I understand that some of these high votes come from people who actually enjoyed this from people who were just happy that Jon Snow was on screen for a long time, doing nothing.

• Game of Yawns

Seriously, I've given this show 5 episodes, which is probably about half the run and I really couldn't not tell you much that has really happened of any note. Maybe it has, but I've just forgotten because I'm just not bothered, but I suspect that not much as been happening really. What really annoys me about this show now is that stuff happens in one season and then gets forgotten about. How slow is that white walker army? Remember when the fat crow was hiding behind the rock as they ambled past? That was a season or 2 ago now. What are they doing? Then there's Bran and the magic far away tree.... that seems to have been totally forgotten about. This show is spiraling out of control, with too many stories that have little of interest happening in them It's in danger of falling into the same trap as Lost, which is what seems to be said about so many shows, but even GoT is not invulnerable to this syndrome.
  • Still bored here...

4.5
    Uuugh this whole season is so boring. Watching paint dry is more fun. Hope they turn that around in the second half! Waited a year for this, and after a fantastic season 4 I had high hopes, so far I am a bit disappointed.