Game of Thrones

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO Premiered Apr 17, 2011 In Season

Gold_Ruby

Game of Thrones Fan Reviews (169)

• perfect

I just love this show and I cant wait till next week for new episode. also it was a great start for this season. and im so happy that joffery death was on his wedding.
  • Great reintroduction of the show.

The focus on "Two Swords" was not to further the plot, and that with a good reason.

The main purpose of this episode was to remember the viewers of what they've forgotten over the last year since season 3, so they have to reintroduce the characters (at least as much as fit into one episode - see you next week Bran, Theon and Stanis), throw the new ones in the mix and show us the current state of Westeros.

And that they did in an excellent way: the opening scene established that the Starks are beaten and the Lannisters are in power now, the introduction of Oberyn worked well, etc etc.

So this could have been a pretty good episode - until the last 10 minutes.

Probably the show creators thought, "pretty good" isn't good enough! We also have to remember the people why they love the show, why they waited so hard for a year and are so excited that it's back. So they ended the episode with a scene that made a "pretty good episode" into an excellent one. :-)

Imho the whole Arya & the Hound sequence is a masterpiece: from the rather funny and lighthearted start to the thrilling entrance into the barn, to the right-paced escalation of scene to the Hounds fight to the chilling showdown with Arya.

The whole thing could have been from a Sergio Leone-western (I'm a huge fan of the "Dollar"-trilogy) and would be considered a classic now.

(Actually Arya's revenge looks like a homage to the climax of Leone's classic "Once upon a time in the West" -> a man takes revenge many years later in a similar way on the guy who killed his father when said man was still a boy and saw his father die: youtu . be / Lp_5dCfUp4s?t=2m40s

BTW: while future Emmy winner Maisie Williams gets lots of (very well-deserved) praise for her performance as badass Arya, let's not forget Rory McCann's amazing performance as the Hound!

Very well done, David Benioff & . Weiss, reintroducing us with the show, before the sh*t 's going to hit the fan and the whole thing escalates in the next 9 episodes (believe me! It will... ^^)
  • Amazing story and execution

I think this series overall is amazing. I feel like i am reading 5 books at the same while watching this series, not to mention all those ''books'' are connected and they are a part of a big world.

''When you play Game of Thrones you win or you

I love how this series follows this line. It's shocking. It's amazing. This show is very interesting!
  • Everything I Think about This Show SPOILERS!

Okay, I am finally all caught up on Game of Thrones, just finished the season premiere a little while breath and go!

SPOILERS!!!

Seriously, there are about to be SPOILERS, stop now.

I did not read the books, btw, so I'm just going off what I see on HBO.

This show has so many characters (almost too many, almost), so I would like to layout those I do like & those I despise. We are gonna be here awhile :/

My favorite character is a tie between Tyrion Lannester and Arya Stark. They are awesome and a constant entertainment. I think these two are probably the two most relatable characters on the whole show. I just want Tyrion to be happy above everything else (and yes I am totally shipping him and Shae). Arya is just such an incredible girl, I think she handled everything as well as can be expected so far, but more than that I see so much potential for her as a character. I just want her to stop trying to get back to a family that is mostly dead now anyway, and become the female "Robin Hood" of Westeros instead. I do fear (and look forward to) our little Stark girl going very dark in season 4; the Hound will have an interesting influence on her.

Next, we have Dany (Mother of Dragons) who I adore! Sorry, can't help it. I love almost everything about her storyline so far. Except that her story feels very far away from everything and everyone else. The naked girl with baby dragons thing is too great to be denied. I wish that she'd stop freeing slaves and get on a boat already. I mean, sure slavery is bad, but when we finally get to the coast are we gonna have enough boats for all these newly freed Dany-worshipers? I don't think so. One thing I would like to know, is if Dany has the ability to defend herself? Like actual combat training? Because, sorry Dany, but any Warrior Dragon Queen worth cheering for can handle a sword or bow (just saying).

I have begun to warm up to Jamie (big time!). I mean, yes, the guy is a gross sister-loving king-slaying Lannester who shoved Bran Stark out a window. However, the guy was kept prisoner in a mud pit for like a year, he was dragged around by a self-righteous warrior-woman, and then he had his sword hand cropped off (not cool). The time he spent on the road with Brienne of Tarth (who I enjoy btw) did alot for his character development. It changed the way I looked at him, and let us know that maybe not everything about this guy is puke-worthy.

I still hate Cersei (because of no fault on the part of Lena Headey), Tywin, Joffery, Theon, Margaery, & Stannis (his red witch too). Joffery is just a little snot-nose brat with way too much power. I think a little time-out may do him as much good as it did his real Dad/Uncle (Eww, btw, just Eww). Margaery is a little weaselly manipulative gold-drigger. Her plan seems to be to go from wannabe King to wannabe King until one makes it stick. Theon Greyjoy is such a Killjoy. I no longer see the purpose or relevance of his storyline. I mean, some of his most amusing moments happened when he was hitting on women and can we let his character go gently into the night and maybe focus on his sister instead. With Catelyn Stark gone we may need another strong womon around (because there aren't enough already, not that I'm complaining).

Speaking of Starks, I wasn't Robb, Catelyn, and Talisa Stark's biggest fan. I didn't directly dislike any of them, and I am definitely on Team Stark, I just didn't really connect with any of them. So the Red Wedding (while fantastically red), had little emotional effect on me. The whole time I was just thinking about Arya and how alone she is now, because she is the coolest Stark. And how lame it was that the Lannesters got their way. And how annoying Walder Frey is! Get over it, man! No one wants to marry your daughters!

Where are Bran and Rickon? Oh, and why should I care? Such a boring storyline, in my opinion. Seeing through wolf's eyes is cool, but making poor Hodor carry him all the way into the North is cruel and boring. A disabled boy in the most dangerous region on this I don't even care.

As for the poor bastard Jon a long strange trip its been for him. I love Yrgitte, by the way, She is a very cool chick. Why did you have to piss her off again? Kinda just wish they had run off to live happily ever after with little red headed wildling babies (but whatever). I am so sick of all this talk of Castle Black and the Night's Watch. Get a new cause, Jon, one where you can have an awesome archer girlfriend!

In short (even though its a little late for that),

Go Tyrion, Arya, Dany, and (maybe) Jamie, good luck in season 4, I hope you don't die (or lose anymore limbs).

Boo! Almost everyone else! Be better people! You all suck and should no longer reproduce (especially Cersei! Sorry once again Lena Headey, no disrespect).

That is now)
  • Disturbing and stupid

This show is disgusting and contains so much nudity it makes everyone feel uncomfortable and it's inappropriate and unnecessary def lost a bunch of viewers

This show would otherwise be good without it but I cannot watch it feeling uneasy and uncomfortable again
  • Awsome

I think this is an awesome start to the season! Give me more. Could we maybe have a new show each night? Now give me more Kalisi and her dragons!
  • test433564654

test433564654
  • Cant wait for the new season to start

Cant wait for the new season to start.. I am a big fan of this show...

eBook Conversion
  • Superb!

Really awsome show! It feels like they took fantasy to a whole new level and even surpassed that amount of great. Quality feels like it is at its best all the time as you view this show and you also feel the characters emotions all around the acting group. This is one show where I can shout, "3 cheers for Game of Thrones!"
  • OMG! I am so into this show! Why has nobody told me?

Ok, I love TV shows. I watch a lot of them. A lot. Really.

But until recently I have just heard about Game of Thrones and I thought things like: "Yeah, some years ago I got one of the books as a present, was told, I should read it, got two more, never came around doing so, never mind, I will, later... Oh, there's a show on TV... well... there are others, no need for a new one"

And then there comes a time when you lie sick in bed, have watched all of the recent episodes from your favourite shows and you think: "Ah, come on, give it a try, can't be bad, maybe it's entertaining, you love fantasy, lots of people love it, so why not... "

Thus started my 5 days marathon, binge-watching trip of what might be called the greatest TV-show ever... I. just. couldn't. stop. Must. continue. watching. Damn, that was amazing and one of the best perks of being ill.

Can't even imagine what it must have been like for all the fans out there to wait week after week for the next episode and then wait for nine months for the next season... oh.. wait... yeah, season 4 is about to start... so from now on I will have to suffer with all the rest of you... And I will enjoy doing so.

Before I forget: Thanks, Tim Surette, for your great reviews on the single episodes. From season two on I read them after each and every wonderful hour of spending time in Westeros, and they made me laugh and agree as well as understand this world a little bit more.
  • Preparing for Sunday April 6th!

Be sure to watch Season - AGAIN for most of you ! it will make it so rewarding what you knwo today and what you will know next week ! They are so young and vulnerable and haven't had a reason to hate each other yet !!!! Very rewarding to watch form the beginning forward again. You will see new truths and revelations you may not have noticed before !
  • Love Ittttttttttt.

The minute I saw and heard Ned Stark talk, I fell in love with the show. The story line is excellent and so are the characters. The acting is outstanding and so is the photography. Each character is his/or her own person and sometimes I forget that they are just made up people. I started watching in 2012 and after that I had to get season 1 to catch up on things. I just finished season 3 and it broke my heart when they killed off Robb and his mother but despite that I still love it and can't wait for season 4.
  • Brilliant!

This is one of the best (in some respects the best) TV show ever made. The rest of the industry should look and learn. Unfortunately the user rating only goes up to ten.
  • A well thought masterpiece.

This one gets hated because of nude content it has.

Game of Thrones is an epic medieval show, that is, from the looks of it, had a big budget that is utilized nicely and well executed. And takes a lot of time, but that's reasonable. Also, it is based on a series of books. Although, I admit that I haven't read the books yet, but if this is really based on the book, I can imagine that the book is also terrific.

About the budget that I mentioned above? Let's talk about that.

Plot: Well, the plot is based on the book, and it's a story about political control and power, hence the name of the show. Now this is where the show shines; there are lots of unexpected turn of events and twists that will jump at you. Even the main character could die, or the least unexpected one could die all of a sudden. Because of that, you will never know who are the protagonists on this show. Unlike the other shows, the protagonists survives, fights the antagonists, wins and saves the day. This show isn't like that.

Props/Materials: You can see that they really had spent the budget on the props and decors that well. They're really decent. Their props had a simple, if not, nice design. Like the tents in Tywin Lannister's camp, decorations in the King's Landing castle, their weapons. Not to mention the needed extras. That would take a lot of work and budget.

Soundtrack: Orchestrated medieval soundtracks. While they're not much significant in the middle of the show for me, I really love the music on the opening intro.

Actors: Great acting, and you never see someone who puts their head or looks in the places that they weren't meant to, and has a pale acting. I didn't see anyone that look liked they were struggling with acting.

Characters: I haven't read the book yet as I said above, so I'm not sure that the personalities of the characters are different apart from the book. But chances are that they are in their same qualities and background when compared to the book. This show has lots of characters that you'd love to hate, you'd love plainly. But great, nonetheless.

Effects: The opening title is astounding, that it looks like it's also an intro from a Blizzard/old school Age of Empires-esque RTS game. While effects aren't much that present in this show, they're lifelike and well looking. Two examples are Daenerys' dragons and the blizzard behind the icy Wall.

Overall: The tension in seasons increases as the plot passes. This is an example of a show that has a big budget and it was used well. And also, the reason while they only film 10 episodes per season and why they take much time. It's quality is very high that it looks like you're not watching a TV show but a movie instead. For those who are going to start in season 1, it might seem boring, weak and chaotic at first, you might have no clue what is going on in the first place. By the time you start season 2, it's different. I really like this show because it somewhat depicts the system and the society in the medieval times.

Rating: 9.5
  • Great Series!

Game Of thrones is a great series with great twist and turns, something different from the usual medieval fantasies that we see in the movies and Tv. Great Cast as well. Well done GOT!!!
  • The best

The best series in a long time
  • Brilliant

Great books to great TV series. With the constant boring formulas of police shows,medical shows thrown out year after year, Game of Thrones brings something fresh. Brillant casting. Only thing is I wish there was 20 episodes per season
  • A good one

one of the best tv shows ever made
  • Great Production but Filthy Story

In simple words

The good guys are slaughtered and the evil prevail.

What do you expect to see here other than treason, perversion, dirt, betrayal and lot of sex, murder, sadism and unexpected disappointment episode after episode.

I gave it 1 for the production but does not deserve more for the amount of the ugly behaviour of the characters.

DO NOT LET YOUR CHILDREN WATCH THIS !!!

This show knows all about evil and nothing about good, trust, kindness and they have the habit of killing the good heroes - Trust that you will be shocked .... badly shocked.
  • Winter is comming

After reading the books, there is almost nothing wrong with the series itself. The creators did an excellent job and did their best trying to make the TV show follow the books as much as possible, all thou the scenes don't necessarily follow the particular order in which they are shown in the books.
  • One of the greatest series!

This is one of the greatest epic series ever done for television! Cant wait till April'14 :)
  • Just awosome

Best series i ever seen
  • the best show of the decade ?

my god, why only 10 episodes per season, this is so frustrating
  • dragon rider

maybe its just me but i think it could be awesom if brad stark became a dragon rider he can after all se through the eys of animals and human plus the preview king had 3 dragon riders and the dragon queen also has 3 dragon but that is just my opinion
  • 9 Ways "Game Of Thrones" Is Actually Feminist?

Really? Why there has to be always some sort of vagenda?
  • I love A Game of Thrones!

Wow, I must say I really do love A Game of Thrones. I felt the Season ending was a little weak though, anybody else on my boat? Although I must admit, I cannot wait for the Season 4 adaptation!

If you're wanting to watch A Game of Thrones online free, you can do so through my website:
  • Just no

It might be good if there was more action instead of politics and sex scenes. This show probably has more sex scenes than californication(also sucks). This is painfully awkward to watch with your parents. Don't do it, ever! If you want a good medieval show, watch Merlin. That show is amazing, lots of action, lots of humor, and no sex scenes.
  • in love with jon snow

cant wait till the next season :"""""(
  • Ehhhhh

I thought i'd give this show a try and i couldn't make it past the first episode. It was really boring. I thought about giving it another chance so i watched the second episode and i still wasn't hooked. I guess this show is not meant for everyone, at least not for me.
  • Good Season