Game of Thrones

You Win or You Die

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 29, 2011 on HBO

• "I warned you not to trust me."

Rarely does honor ever fail a character in a story; we are taught great things will happen to you if you stick with it. Game of Thrones isn't like the stories you grew up with that you were told as a child (that much was obvious with the lesbian sex scene near the beginning). Ned Stark is the type of character who prevails in most normal medieval stories because he fought for what he believed in. In the world of Westeros, he's the one on the wrong end of the blade on Littlefinger's dagger. In the previous episode I talked about Game of Thrones producing so much story development that we need to be relieved of it with a big splash. We got it, and in supremely dramatic fashion, not only with the story in King's Landing, but also with Daenerys Targeryan and to a lesser extent, Jon Snow and the Wall.

It was one event after another; Ned Stark confronts Cersei about her incestuous relationship with her twin brother Jaime Lannister, King Robert dies, Ghost finds a severed hand, Renly means to seize the throne, Khal Drogo vows to rule Westeros, and of course, Ned Stark is betrayed by Littlefinger. The suspense just built up into one final explosion, and of course the brilliant acting should never fail to be mentioned. The poisoner at the markets did a remarkable job selling his part, better than how it was done in the books. Samwell Tarly, despite his cowardice, shows redeeming qualities that especially shines in this episode. And although the show has made you hate them, Joffrey does a wonderful job of portraying a guy you would want to see die a million deaths, and Littlefinger always walks a stride that makes it impossible to read his character. This episode could have done for a season finale, and yet there are 3 more left.