A Gang Related Community
FOX (ended 2014)
GANG RELATED

Those who had read my posts at TV.com before would know I am a fan of mob/gang genre. There aren't that many shows on TV of this genre so I am excited about Gang Related.

This is not a review, more like a short preview so only LIGHT SPOILERS ahead. If you liked this post, do give it a heart at the top right hand corner.

I have watched the pilot and I think you should too.

1) What is it about?

The premise is it follows members of the Los Angeles Police Department's elite Gang Task Force as they take on three of the area's most dangerous gangs, including one gang that a task member has ties to.

This is the official premise. It is NOT a procedural cop show or I will not continue to watch.

After watching the pilot, this is what I liked about it

1) Judging from the first episode, The action scenes are quite good and the stories does have good pacing. The show is written by Chris Morgan who wrote The Fast and Furious series.

2) The cast is above average. The main lead Ramon Rodriguez is quite good. It is always nice to see Terry O'Quinn back on TV. Cliff Curtis is another nice veteran to watch. After watching the first episode, I liked Inbar Lavi very much. She plays the only female task force member.

3) Fans of The Shield, Sons Of Anarchy may like this show. Jay Karnes who appears in both series also appears here again.

What you might not liked

1) So far, the premise might be a little cliche. I would say the show has nothing new or fresh to offer. You probably have seen the characters and stories somewhere before.

2) I felt the story is borrowed in part from The Departed which in turn was based on a Hong Kong Movie internal affairs.

In conclusion, the pilot had given me enough to continue to watch the show. It does need more twist and turns to keep viewers coming back.

I do not think ratings would be high so I hope Fox would keep it till at least end of season one and show all 12 episodes. Since it is a summer series, the lower expectation might lead to a season two renewal. Bad news is even if it does get a renewal we probably have to wait one year for it.

Those who have watched it, do give me your opinions but try to keep it spoilers free.

For those who do not know, the show premieres May 20th on Fox.

poll

25 Comments
Comments (25)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I just watched the pilot and mostly agree with your assessment. The main guy didn't do much for me but at first but by the end he was more interesting. It's hard to tell from the pilot but I for sure will watch at least 4 episode and most likely all of it. There are a lot of cliches but it's just the pilot and I see lots of good potential (just depends on where they take it). I'll be watching episode 2.
Thanks for the preview!
Flag
Terry O'Quinn!! From the writers of The Shield!!

...oh... Fox?

You had me right up until then. Consider it cancelled already.
Flag
Let's just pray because it is a summer series, they will let this one live :-)
Flag
Nice write up Marlboro! Yeah - anything w/ Terry O'Quinn and I am in like Flynn (wut?)
Flag
is it related to the 2pac movie?
Flag
It is not.
Flag
Maybe I'll watch it just because of Terry O'Quinn. Btw, do you know if he'll be a series regular??
Flag
He is a regular not a guest star. He is more of a supporting cast though.
Flag
Same as KittyKato..very predictable and just character stereotypes, especially the gangstas son..as seen in every LA gang/cop/fire/medical show, i couldn't last more than about 30 mins without having the whole first season planned out in my head, and i guessed the first death, who did and what the fallout would be pretty much after about 15mins..switched off and won't be tempted back as it will get cancelled 4 episodes in..
Flag
You couldn't say that about SouthLAnd...just couldnt
Flag
Thank you for your opinion though I hope you are wrong about the cancellation. I still think it is better than those NCIS, CSI shows :-)
Flag
Sorry, but this was so predictable and boring that I couldn't even finish the first episode. Not an original idea in it and every character was a stereotype. Just couldn't keep me interested at all.
Flag
I am really exiting about this show, the idea is not new but it depend on the write how will show it to us, good start, it caught my attention, but i can't trust Fox for keeping the show for a season.... i'll be sad if Fox decide to cancel it.... good acting team and the action is acceptable for a TV show... :)
Flag

I am really looking forward to this show. After True Detective probably the new show I was waiting for the most. The Trailer looked fantastic and I am a huge Fan of the Shield.
The only negative.. it's on FOX. So no matter how good the show is or how much potential it has, it may be cancelled anyways, see Almost Human.
Flag
Looks like most viewers have no faith in Fox anymore :-) At least they run all the episodes of Almost Human. I am still waiting on NBC to show me all the episodes of Crisis:-)
Flag
The opening flashback was a bit clunky, but was followed by a fairly slick action scene which more than made up for it.
And that's a theme for the pilot - visually its very slick, but the script could have used a bit more work (but that's to be expected from a pilot - a bit clunky because they have to establish characters)

The lead character is unremarkable in the pilot, good but not great - he may develop as the series progresses, but during the pilot he became little more than a narrative tool, and because of this he wasn't particularly memorable.
However the final scene of the episode did give a glimmer of hope for his character development - or at least made him a bit more interesting to me.

The supporting cast, (Terry O'Quinn included), is solid but not spectacular, with Cliff Curtis a possible highlight as the head of the crime family.

The musical score reminded me of some Michael Mann stuff - Miami Vice, but more specifically the film Manhunter - a lot of synthesizer sounding music.

Overall 7/10 - As its a summer series I'll most likely watch it all, and for anyone who is undecided, its probably worth giving it at least a 4 episode test
More+
Flag
Yes ! At least 4 episodes. I might hate it after that too. Unlikely though :-)
Flag
I will now at least watch the pilot and we'll see what happens from there on.
Flag
I almost forgot to insert a poll like you suggested :-)
Flag
Went back and voted :-)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members