Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Channel 4 (ended 2004)

jacksback21

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace Fan Reviews (14)

• Incredibly funny, incredibly smart and incredibly original...

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is proof that poor marketing and a bad time-slot can spell out doom for a tv show before the first episode has even aired. I, myself was lucky enough to leave my tv on after an episode of Father Ted to find this.
    It is a spoof, but a spoof with a background story. Supposedly, Garth Marenghi wrote, directed and starred in his Darkplace back in the 80s where around 50 episodes where made. The show was however considered too edgy to air. Now, during the worst plight in television history, the episodes have been dug out and mixed in with interview clips of the stars.
    That is however all part of the spoof back up story that accompanies the show. The show is incredibly tacky, poorly written, poorly acted, poorly edited and poorly everything else. But it is done in such a way that it is nothing short of comic genius. It adopts a very similar style to that of spoof films such as Airplane! and The Naked Gun; not because of the spoofing (which is excecuted in very different ways), but because of how the show is played completely straight, but with constant cheesy or funny lines and hilariously bad special effects and wacky ideas.
    This show is an undiscovered gem. When the DVD finally comes out (it's been over a year since the show aired and it's still not out yet) I recommend you give this show a try.
    The show is not completely dead at the moment as FilmFour have commissioned Matthew Holness (aka Garth Marenghi) to write a movie screenplay based on Darkplace. Whether or not it gets made is another question, but still, there is life after death... to some degree.