GCB Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

How do you like this show so far?

What do you think?

stellarchick86

[1]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 32
    I cant figure out whether I like this show or not. Sometimes I think I do and sometimes I just get tired of the women's pettyness/childishness. I do know that they need to do more with Sharon, though. It gets annoying that the only role she has on this show is to eat.
    Edited on 03/12/2012 2:12am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SassySugar

[2]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 1

I agree totally. I like the show pretty much, I like the premise and it's pretty funny. Well written, well acted. But yeah, some of the steroetypes are a little typical. As a Catholic, I have to say that I hate to kind of always see the usual portrayal of "christians" as being hypocritical and a bit of a joke.That religion is something to be made fun of. But I get that "good" christians don't make good television. It's also the entire setting of the show, so I don't have a problem with it.

SassySugar

jubillantjub

[3]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 10
    I rather like it. I don't think it's so much Christianity being made fun of as just those people who call themselves "christian" and spit the bible so long as it serves their needs (i.e Carlene). The other characters are also simply church goers and obviously Christian because after they all upper class white people and those are predominantly christian. I think they're all meant to be hypocritical and the religion a part of it but less so than a lot of people think. At least, that's the feeling I got from the first two episodes.

djboy77

[4]Mar 14, 2012
    • level: 7

Don't hate it. Not sure where it's going - whether they'll go the Desperate Housewives route or what. The teenage high-school girl clique crap... not sure how long they can maintain that on grown adult women without being completely soapy. You can get away with it in a movie, but sustaining it across a long-term series I'm not sure about. There were things I really liked about it, like how self-possessed and in control Amanda was in the face of all that venom. I'll keep watching it and see how it goes.

SassySugar

[5]Mar 16, 2012
    • level: 1

I agree they are poking fun at hypocrites. Amanda is clear about that. But I think about non-christians watching and that they think that that's how all christians are. Too many people think that being religious is a joke and that no one is true to their faith, which isn't true at all. But that's life. I still find some of the characters funny.

I thought the second episode was fairly lame. The first half was better, then everything seemed to tidy up too easily in the end. Gigi gets all these cancellations to her luncheon, but then suddenly finds 20 friends to come to the booby bar? Amanda wants to teach her daughter that being "popular" and hanging out with shallow people is not a good route, but then drops it in the end. She didn't have to scold her, but could have a chat with her about values. Instead she just says she's not going to control her life. The girl is a teenager...good guidance is called "parenting" not controlling. I really like the thread of Amanda and Gigi's strained relationship because my Mom and I are a bit like that. I understand Amanda's pain at not ever feeling her mother's support and approval...then in the end Gigi shows up with all her friends and tells Amanda that she's proud of her. That would never happen. It was just too tidy. I think it would make a better show if those tensions held up throughout the series. There were no cliffhangers.

~ SassySuagar

blueskittle

[6]Mar 20, 2012
    I'm on the fence about it. understand the whole crazy christian thing have going but its annoying. Also that Amanda is the root of all their issues is plain silly, it was high school get over it already. High school shouldn't define you for the rest of your life. All the marriages are a joke and they use some pretty aggresive sterotypes for the gay husband. IMO anyway. This show is very very 80's early 90's soapy, and doubt it will last at such a level. Soaps as daytime entertainment is winding down and this can't work without a bit of tone down.

stellarchick86

[7]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 32
    djboy77 wrote:
    The teenage high-school girl clique crap... not sure how long they can maintain that on grown adult women without being completely soapy. You can get away with it in a movie, but sustaining it across a long-term series I'm not sure about. There were things I really liked about it, like how self-possessed and in control Amanda was in the face of all that venom.

Couldnt agree more with this at all.

As for the religion thing, Im agnostic, so I wont touch that.

Edie70

[8]Apr 8, 2012
    • level: 19
    So far - good, sometimes very good. But i have only seen 2 episodes. Pilot disappointed me but I returned to it after a month so i can watch the rest and decide wheter I like it and keep watching or not.

PenguinSuzie

[9]Apr 14, 2012

I like it. It's fun.

blueskittle wrote:
    Also that Amanda is the root of all their issues is plain silly, it was high school get over it already. High school shouldn't define you for the rest of your life.
    Sometimes bullies can do incredibly horrible things to their victims and scar them for life. It sounds like she really hurt and humiliated them through probably already difficult years making Carlene especially quite bitter. Don't underestimate the impact it can have on someone. It can really mess people up.

Edited on 04/14/2012 10:29pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Edie70

[10]Apr 27, 2012
    I've seen all of the 8 episodes now and I love it, Pilot was probably the weakest episode of the show so far but that seems to be the case with many show. They just needed to set the tone and establish characters and stories.

Peggy_Porcupine

[11]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 13

I'm with the majority of you. To much same old same old. Getting boring really, not sure I want to waste many more hours to catch a few good lines here and there. I'll catch the last 1 or 2 episodes of this season and see if it is worth watching again in the fall. They (the writers) seem to be trying to hard....

~ Peggy from Porcupine

Edited on 04/29/2012 7:59pm

Edie70

[12]May 1, 2012
    I think it is going to get canceled ina few weeks.