Was the "lie-detector" episode a scam or what is going on?

methadvocate

[1]Oct 6, 2011
    • level: 10

Can someone please explain to me (or provide a link to the explanation) WTFthe lie-detector test was for?The answerat that time: it was to see if Gene was cheating on Shannon (this was a few season's ago).

So here's where they lost me, what is thier actual definition of cheating? Because now, Shannon says he's been unfaithful all along, the marriage wont be "open" like their relationship has been, etc.

None of it makes sense.

Was he cheating? What's their definition of cheating? Did she know all along? Was the lie detector radio show a bunch of crapola?

Thanks to anyone who can clairify this for me and all other confused fans. Undecided

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dragon22a

[2]Nov 28, 2011
    • level: 32

Remember that a lie detector only measures pulse and biometrics and not really truth or lies. A nervous person can come up lying even when he or she is telling the truth and a truthful person can come up lying if they are nervous. The thing with lie detectors is that if you believe what you are saying is true, then it will come up true. So if they did have an open relationship then what he had been doing may not have been cheating to him. So when asked the question and he said no, it would come up as true. Of course, Shannon's definition may not have been the same or has changed in the intervening years. She has said that she put up with it in the past but that her outlook has changed.

Rodbo1968

[3]Jun 4, 2012
    • level: 3

She wants to make sure she gets "Her share" of Gene's mountain of cash he has made over the years, I know Shannon was a Playboy model and all that when they met but she was really nothing more than a groupie herself. Like I said this whole push for marriage all of a sudden is because she figures after 20+ years of living as man and wife she is entiitled to whatever percenatge of his money, hell I bet they met in the Playboy mansion hot tub when she was an active Playboy Bunny/Hooker!!!! Kick her to the curb Gene, your GENE FREAKING SIMMONS DON'T LET HER TAKE YOUR BALLS AWAY FROM YOU GENE!!!!

dragon22a

[4]Jun 6, 2012

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I will however agree that Shannon has begun to go a bit far. She is very hard on him. I do not believe that she was a hooker but I agree that she was a playboy playmate and in a different universe she may have possibly become just another picture in his collection but stuck around. He may still see her like that and she sees herself as the wife and wants her to act like a man.

methadvocate

[5]Nov 6, 2012

I'm very curious to know what has happened between Gene and Shannon. Shespent years and years ofallegedly beinghappy, I was taken aback when she suddenly let her fangs out. I guess everyone has a line that must not be crossed. The crazy thing was the episode where she finally had enough by seeing a photo of Gene on the web with ladies on each arm coming out of a restaurant. What about that was different from any other time he was dining with beautiful women?

Honestly, they way she pushed, pushed, pushed to get Gene to marry her (which was odd after all the years together being happily unmarried), I think she really didNOT want to marry him when he finally proposed. I fully think she went through with the wedding because of the pressure she put on him and the pressure on her from SO MANY other people, media, kids, etc.

The way the show just stopped so abruptly, I have to think they're probably not going to make it as a married couple.

Sad really, they truly appeared to be a very happy family while the kids were growing up. Maybe that was part of her "breakdown"? Empty nest syndrome, mid-life crisis, menopause, etc. She probably realized she was not secure in her future with Gene, and I don't blame her for wanting security after 20 years of raising kids.

Does anyone know if they are still together?

dragon22a

[7]Dec 13, 2012

You are right, she finally reached a breaking point. It is likely that for years there was some sort of cheating going on, some she knew of and some she did not. There was also likely many apologies and promises that such things would not happen again but they did. All of this was kept away from the cameras and away from the children. But eventually it was too much for her. maybe it was the pressure of the show, the cameras being on the family that did it. It has happened before on countless reality shows like this, the family feels like they have to live a certain way for the camera and the pressure gets to everyone.

Her agreeing to marry Gene may have been both a combination of actual desire and a feeling of responsibility. He was trying to change and was doing all she asked. It may have been the family she was trying to keep together but you are right in that the media and the cameras may have had something to do with it also.

The show ending was probably based on a number of things. When all of this came out the show went from an almost comedic show to a very dramatic centered show. Once that line was crossed, the show likely could not simply go back to how it was. Plus, the show was about the family and the family was spreading apart. Sophie was on her own in college likely wanting to be away from the cameras, Nick was out on his own for the most part as well. The network likely felt that even if Sophie and Nick still wanted to be on the show, it would mean separate crews in different locations and that it just was not cost effective anymore.

As for your final question, I do believe they are still together. I have not heard any news of a split. Maybe the end of the show will be good for them, a chance to have private conversations about what they want.

Edited on 12/13/2012 2:15pm

methadvocate

[8]May 5, 2013
    Agreed. I also hope being without constant camera's around that they can be happily married.