Generation Kill

Bomb in the Garden

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Aug 24, 2008 on HBO

• The crew reaches Baghad.

After seeing the Marines of Generation Kill taking down snipers, or "lighting up" as they would say, helping kids and torturing prisoners, we finally saw that they were real human beings. They had emotions, which they spilt to their companies. They played football, a game which raised egos and buried emotions stemming back from their high school days. Generation Kill's crew is definitely pro-war, yet they did not allow that bias to corrupt a fine mini-series. We saw the "heroes" realize that there was still much more work that needed to be done than simply invading the country and removing its previous ruler. We saw the casualties of war and what it meant to the world as a whole. We witnessed lying, deceit, but more importantly unity. Generation Kill had its weak spots, but it was still a strong offering for seven weeks from HBO. Anyone wanting to make a war movie or television series needs to watch GK to see just how it is done. You need comedy, you need drama and most of all, you need realism.