Generation Kill Forums

HBO (Mini-Series 2008)

Disgusted

sue2310

[1]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 6

WTF.. this show has been on the air for about half hour in the UK and we are switching off, I had great hopes for the show especially as I am a big fan of Lee Tergesen, what made us switch off!! the bloody attitude it portrayed of troops receiving mail supporting them from the public. I have a friend who lost her brother in Iraq and believe me these guys love to receive support from unknown public who show they care.

If you really want to see a show that shows the reality of the attitude of troops in the field watch Ross Kemp In Afghanistan and see how the troops over there really feel, this show is a piece of crap and does not do justice to what really goes on over there.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sue2310

[2]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 6
    The war is still on going and our guy's and gal's are still out there you can not portray them as ungrateful for public support, it's just not the right thing to do.

CW99

[3]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 2
    Shut up. God do you think the troops get your letters in the mail and say oh wow this guy is nice I'd like to have a cup of joe with that bloke. Why don't you just commend them for telling it like it is instead of giving you an agenda and some cheesey ****

xTheSpoonx

[4]Apr 3, 2009
    • level: 3

You don't seem to realize that this show is based on a book written by a reporter who was their during the original invasion. This is based on fact. It is stupid to assume that any soldier let alone the marines actually read or care about letters sent to them by little kids.

DancingOmelette

[5]Apr 25, 2009
    • level: 3

sue2310 wrote:
    I have a friend who lost her brother in Iraq

How does that make you an expert on the way soldiers receiving public fanmail feel? If the guy is dead then he certainly didn't tell you that.

pazam03

[6]May 30, 2009
    • level: 5
    as some who actully served in the army (IDF) - i know that no body really gives a **** about those letters (we got letters from kids on holidays).

anahita3000

[7]Jun 29, 2009
    • level: 4
    I was there in 2005.. more than half of what you watched in this show was our daily life! to all you freaks we were no heros ....we killed a bunch and a few of us got killed while we were being paid ...........chawww

sandbur

[8]Jul 5, 2009
    • level: 25

I wonder if our superhuman expectations of perfectly normal human beings isn't in fact, one of the biggest dangers they face? I'm speculating because I'm not and have never been a soldier, but what a real soldier might fundamentally appreciate likely differs once he/she is removed from the theatre of war. Immediacy has a way of narrowing vision; good thing because it likely saves lives. If we are to rail at anyone, perhaps we should rail at those who would create and perpetuate the environment that can so disturbingly alter the immediate reality of those who must execute "the plan"...and in this case I use the term "plan", loosely.

I thought this was a terrifically sobering and humbling glimpse into "our" dogmatic "rightness"...in all we believe and all we do; not fogetting that there are also consequences for those who "live" through the events and with the unreasonable expectations we place on them.

Edited on 07/05/2009 7:35am

magneticalistic

[9]Aug 25, 2009
    • level: 1
    lol u got burned u idiot

ChaRagasa

[10]Sep 14, 2009

for those who didnt know, this was based on a book written by the embedded reporter Evan Wright with the same title. All of the characters are real, including, yeah, captain america and godfather. he really had throat cancer. there's a bunch of behind the scenes look and you see the real evan wright, brad colbert, josh person. and by the way, the guy who plays Rudy Reyes (fruity Rudy) is played by Rudy Reyes.

Bean-007

[11]Feb 26, 2010

Dear Disgusted.... Are you out of your freaking mind? You think everything is just peachy in war that there all dressed up in there suits acting like good boys and girls over there. I just recently started watching this on Netfilx and I love the show.